Re: David Fizdale To Marc Gasol: You Want Popovich, I Want LeBron

Moderators: Domejandro, bwgood77

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 291

David Fizdale To Marc Gasol: You Want Popovich, I Want LeBron 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Sat May 5, 2018 2:28 pm

After a loss in his first season with the Grizzlies, David Fizdale went around the locker room asking each player if they believed he could win a title. Fizdale said that they didn't belong on the Grizzlies if they lacked belief.

"No," said Marc Gasol. "We don't have the right leader."

"I get it, you want Gregg Popovich, and I want LeBron James," Fizdale replied.

The relationship between Fizdale and Gasol continued to fray. Fizdale alienated Gasol by disregarding his accomplishments both in the NBA and overseas while also helping push out Zach Randolph and Tony Allen.

"He had it in where Marc was going to be a certain way and he didn't care who Marc was and he didn't care how the offense was, he didn't care about the style we were playing. It was going to be about – 'This is a new era. The Memphis stuff is over. That Grit n Grind is done,' " a source said. "Then he turns around and says, 'We're going to do it the Miami Way.'

"The players didn't respect that. If you're going to talk about Miami, we should be able to talk about Memphis."

Via Stefan Bondy/New York Daily News

Dr Huge Pecs
Senior
And1: 79

Post#2 » by Dr Huge Pecs » Sat May 5, 2018 3:23 pm

Sounds like Fizz will fit in perfect with the knicks. Kp will walk asap.
Marty McFly
RealGM
And1: 9,343

Post#3 » by Marty McFly » Sat May 5, 2018 3:36 pm

Dr Huge Pecs wrote:Sounds like Fizz will fit in perfect with the knicks. Kp will walk asap.

yeah, he's going to walk. he's going to walk right to that office to sign that extension.
Guano wrote:Fourni3r forgetting he has Bob cousy handles

Woodsanity wrote:Imagine trusting a team with World B Flat on it without Lebron keeping him in check.
ShazamDaShiznt
Analyst
And1: 4,766

Post#4 » by ShazamDaShiznt » Sat May 5, 2018 3:42 pm

I agree with Fizdale on this one

Marc is nothing but an overrated diva, his older brother accomplished so much more because he knew when to stop crying and get the job done.

Look at this team how it became so poor after Zach and Tony Allen left them. None of the rest players stepped in to become the locker room leader and it all collapsed immediately. Marc just can't be a leader, this whole time in memphis made him believe like he is, but at best he's a secondary player to someone with strong leadership capabilities. He's like kevin love.
LikeABosh
RealGM
And1: 8,632

Post#5 » by LikeABosh » Sat May 5, 2018 3:50 pm

Gasol and the Grizzlies sound incredibly stubborn and oblivious to how the league is changing. They've lost most of their core from the GnG era and they think that's what will win them a championship now? Even though it didn't work then when they had the better personnel for it :crazy:
SpikJagger
Pro Prospect
And1: 651

Post#6 » by SpikJagger » Sat May 5, 2018 4:11 pm

I wonder what Gasols response would be to JB Bickerstaff if he asked the same question today.

Grizz are silly for going all in on Gasol. Anyone could clearly see that their team was past it's peak and that those two bigs grit n' grind posting up all those times isn't going to get them anywhere in the modern nba.

Shame on the owners for failing to realize what direction the nba was headed but at least they'll be getting a top 3 pick. Hopefully Gasol lets him develop on the court after his "this is the nba, not the g league" comment about Memphis playing so many younger guys.
HarthorneWingo
RealGM
And1: 55,168

Post#7 » by HarthorneWingo » Sat May 5, 2018 4:42 pm

Marty McFly wrote:
Dr Huge Pecs wrote:Sounds like Fizz will fit in perfect with the knicks. Kp will walk asap.

yeah, he's going to walk. he's going to walk right to that office to sign that extension.

:lol:
POSTING POLICIES:
1. Posts are dictated but not proofread most of the time. It depends.
2. All typos are not the fault of the real Harthorne Wingo, may he Rest In Peace.
HarthorneWingo
RealGM
And1: 55,168

Post#8 » by HarthorneWingo » Sat May 5, 2018 4:43 pm

ShazamDaShiznt wrote:I agree with Fizdale on this one

Marc is nothing but an overrated diva, his older brother accomplished so much more because he knew when to stop crying and get the job done.

Look at this team how it became so poor after Zach and Tony Allen left them. None of the rest players stepped in to become the locker room leader and it all collapsed immediately. Marc just can't be a leader, this whole time in memphis made him believe like he is, but at best he's a secondary player to someone with strong leadership capabilities. He's like kevin love.

Except that Marc is a much better defensive player and passer.
POSTING POLICIES:
1. Posts are dictated but not proofread most of the time. It depends.
2. All typos are not the fault of the real Harthorne Wingo, may he Rest In Peace.
spree2kawhi
General Manager
And1: 3,758

Post#9 » by spree2kawhi » Sat May 5, 2018 4:54 pm

I guess their stained relationship is no big deal. It happens in such surroundings. That's just the way it is. They're probably both right too.
KevinMcreynolds
RealGM
And1: 3,326

Post#10 » by KevinMcreynolds » Sat May 5, 2018 4:59 pm

Gasol has turned into a soft and lazy big man that hangs out at the 3 point line. 7'1", 260 and homeboy shot 42% last year. I could see why Fiz didn't like him and benched his ass.
floppymoose wrote:Too much Vlad. Sixers can't handle it. Solid gold.

"I'm a big proponent of footwork. Believe me." ~Jim Barnett
caronimo
Rookie
And1: 53

Post#11 » by caronimo » Sat May 5, 2018 5:06 pm

Fiz getting more accolades then Eric Spoestra who was the actual coach
Javier Acosta
Bench Warmer
And1: 632

Post#12 » by Javier Acosta » Sat May 5, 2018 6:13 pm

RealGM Wiretap wrote:After a loss in his first season with the Grizzlies, David Fizdale went around the locker room asking each player if they believed he could win a title. Fizdale said that they didn't belong on the Grizzlies if they lacked belief.
"No," said Marc Gasol. "We don't have the right leader."
"I get it, you want Gregg Popovich, and I want LeBron James," Fizdale replied.
The relationship between Fizdale and Gasol continued to fray. Fizdale alienated Gasol by disregarding his accomplishments both in the NBA and overseas while also helping push out Zach Randolph and Tony Allen.

"He had it in where Marc was going to be a certain way and he didn't care who Marc was and he didn't care how the offense was, he didn't care about the style we were playing. It was going to be about – 'This is a new era. The Memphis stuff is over. That Grit n Grind is done,' " a source said. "Then he turns around and says, 'We're going to do it the Miami Way.'

"The players didn't respect that. If you're going to talk about Miami, we should be able to talk about Memphis."

Via Stefan Bondy/New York Daily News

CobraCommander
RealGM
And1: 13,760

Post#13 » by CobraCommander » Sat May 5, 2018 6:57 pm

caronimo wrote:Fiz getting more accolades then Eric Spoestra who was the actual coach

No he isnt...most people think Spo is a top 5 coach...who think Fiz is? Most people see Spo as being as much of a strategist or tactical leader as anyone in the league. I honestly think Spo is the 3rd best coach after Pop and Brad...

Fiz should be good in NY based on everything i have read. Also...seriously when did Marc get the authority to say we got the wrong leader to his coach? If most players said that (let along someone like Boogie) they would get killed in the press.....

but honestly is this even true? They dont name their source so this may be a complete BS article...
Javier Acosta
Bench Warmer
And1: 632

Post#14 » by Javier Acosta » Sat May 5, 2018 7:05 pm

CobraCommander wrote:
caronimo wrote:Fiz getting more accolades then Eric Spoestra who was the actual coach

No he isnt...most people think Spo is a top 5 coach...who think Fiz is? Most people see Spo as being as much of a strategist or tactical leader as anyone in the league. I honestly think Spo is the 3rd best coach after Pop and Brad...

Fiz should be good in NY based on everything i have read. Also...seriously when did Marc get the authority to say we got the wrong leader to his coach? If most players said that (let along someone like Boogie) they would get killed in the press.....

but honestly is this even true? They dont name their source so this may be a complete BS article...

I think fans are fine with it if it is not relasyed to the media.
Clyde Frazier
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 25,243

Re: Re: David Fizdale To Marc Gasol: You Want Popovich, I Want LeBron 

Post#15 » by Clyde Frazier » Sat May 5, 2018 7:20 pm

Tabloid fodder...
doordoor123
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,225

Post#16 » by doordoor123 » Sat May 5, 2018 7:31 pm

CobraCommander wrote:

He’s top 15, there are a lot of good coaches in the NBA. Just not a lot with great players.
qm22
General Manager
And1: 1,901

Post#17 » by qm22 » Sat May 5, 2018 7:36 pm

CobraCommander wrote:

Doubtful to be true. And somehow the NY daily news got a source to gossip like this just when they hired Fizdale?
A source which sounds like a poorly written fiction piece, in an early draft stage?

It doesn't make anyone look good, has major missing pieces that someone with a source would have had. Probably because it intends to throw things in all direction and hope something is partly true. It makes it sound like Fiz says "we're going to do it in the Miami way", at that point? Really, he isn't referencing some more specific manner? He was just into some type of tribalism attack mode of communication to divide him based on his prestigious assistant coaching days with his current roster? Fiz had something against "grit and grind" as a whole? Something which was basically based on playing hard? Yeah I'm sure Fiz *hated* that and wanted to make a point of confrontation over widely loved hard working ways of Memphis' past teams... right...

I'd have to write substantially many more words than the article itself had to fully point out how ridiculous it sounds.
CobraCommander
RealGM
And1: 13,760

Post#18 » by CobraCommander » Sat May 5, 2018 7:38 pm

Javier Acosta wrote:
CobraCommander wrote:

I think fans are fine with it if it is not relasyed to the media.

I hope he Fiz does well...seems like actual coach...and not a complete yes man like Lue or Brooks or most of the NBA coaches right now.
ChokeFasncists
RealGM
And1: 1,501

Post#19 » by ChokeFasncists » Sat May 5, 2018 8:05 pm

ShazamDaShiznt wrote:I agree with Fizdale on this one

The article says Fizdale "helped push out Zach and Allen" tho.

OP: Sounds bad for fizdale to completely disregard something that worked well. But if he goes to the Knicks and says "This is a new era. The Dolan stuff is over. That Melo crap is done, we're going to do it the Pat Riley Way."

Sounds like it's gonna get a lot of positivity and applause.
MorbidHEAT wrote:My dislike for Lin started during Linsanity. It was absurd. It's probably irrational dislike at this point, but man he gets on my nerves. He's been tearing us up though.
Thanks for the honesty.
Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,410

Post#20 » by Slava » Sat May 5, 2018 8:42 pm

"The Miami Heat Way" :lol:

Miami are bottom 5 in pace. They are not pace and space by any definition. They play tough, blue collar basketball, just like Memphis.
:king: + :angry: = :wizard:

Return to Wiretap Discussion