Wendell Carter Jr.'s Mother Compares NCAA System To Slavery, Prison System

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

Wendell Carter Jr.'s Mother Compares NCAA System To Slavery, Prison System 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Tue May 8, 2018 12:10 am

The mother of Wendell Carter Jr., Kylia Carter compared the current system of NCAA basketball to slavery and a prison system.

Carter declared for the 2018 NBA Draft as an anticipated lottery pick, but it reportedly was a difficult decision.

Kylia Carter's comments came at a meeting of the Knight Commission on Intercollegiate Athletics.

"When you remove all the bling and the bells and the sneakers and all that," she said, "you've paid for a child to come to your school to do what you wanted them to do for you, for free, and you made a lot of money when he did that, and you've got all these rules in place that say he cannot share in any of that. The only other time when labor does not get paid but yet someone else gets profits and the labor is black and the profit is white, is in slavery.

"To be honest with you," she said, "it's nauseating."

Kylia Carter played basketball at and graduated from Ole Miss.

"This would be even harder to say in the crowd, but I can say it here," she said in a hallway following the meeting. "It feels intentional. It feels like it was built this way intentionally. I can't move that from my thoughts.

"Should the NCAA be removed? Yes, because I don't trust it," she said. "You're not to be trusted because your intentions are clear. Let's call this group in the middle, let's call it something else. Let's put some real reform in there and call it something different and get rid of the current status quo because it's based on indentured servitude."

Via Heather Dinich/ESPN

GBPackers47
Starter
And1: 1,258

Re: Wendell Carter Jr.'s Mother Compares NCAA System To Slavery, Prison System 

Post#2 » by GBPackers47 » Tue May 8, 2018 12:30 am

And what happens "when you remove all the bling and the bells and the sneakers and all that" in slavery?

I understand the point she's trying to make, but my god have we become incredibly insensitive to those who actually were/and or had family that were slaves. These were people who were ripped from their families and forced to do s*** work for nothing, while also being beaten and treated like an object.

To compare the NCAA System to slavery is ignorant and appalling.
ChokeFasncists
RealGM
And1: 1,501

Post#3 » by ChokeFasncists » Tue May 8, 2018 12:44 am

Going to college is pretty expensive, the scholarship and stipends ain't nothing.
MorbidHEAT wrote:My dislike for Lin started during Linsanity. It was absurd. It's probably irrational dislike at this point, but man he gets on my nerves. He's been tearing us up though.
Thanks for the honesty.
Reeko
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 32,928

Post#4 » by Reeko » Tue May 8, 2018 1:00 am

Her comparison is valid in that a white institutional power is profiting off of free, and for the most part, black labor. Essentially shes implying that the current structure of the NCAA is born from slavery and racism.
Clay Davis wrote:COMPOSED ONLY OF THE COOLEST WOMEN AND THE HOTTEST GUYS, THE TORONTO RAPTORS REALGM BOARD HAS LONG BEEN KNOWN FOR ITS HIGH-QUALITY DISCUSSION, PASSIONATE LOYALTY, TEMPERATE CELEBRATIONS OF VICTORY, AND GRACE IN DEFEAT.
Revived
RealGM
And1: 19,424

Post#5 » by Revived » Tue May 8, 2018 1:18 am

The most common debt that Americans have is student loans. And these players get to have an education without with none of that.

I don’t agree with the one and done rule and think players should able to go straight to the pros if they want. That said, this comparison is ludicrous and a complete insult to the victims of slavery.
The Real Dalic
RealGM
And1: 7,066

Post#6 » by The Real Dalic » Tue May 8, 2018 1:37 am

I agree that players should at least be able to do signings and stuff and be allowed to get paid for THEIR signature, but she's taking it way to far with the slavery and Blacks vs. Whites comments.

It always has to be about race with everyone.

There's so many White players in college too, they're going through the exact same system and team that Blacks go through, no need for that garbage.
God. Family. Country. Basketball.
HotelVitale
RealGM
And1: 9,806

Post#7 » by HotelVitale » Tue May 8, 2018 2:06 am

Reeko wrote:Her comparison is valid in that a white institutional power is profiting off of free, and for the most part, black labor. Essentially shes implying that the current structure of the NCAA is born from slavery and racism.

It's a little more complicated though. First the NCAA loses rather than makes a ton of money--only a few teams in a few sports make any money (for every Duke basketball, there are literally 100 Drake University diving teams), and all of the money that is made goes directly back into sports (like his mom's women's college team, which cost the school plenty of money to maintain).

Second, it's true that the system is stacked in a way that these institutions benefit from young black labor: coaches, trainers, etc make big $, administrators can profit off successful sports programs, and most importantly schools raise their profile and their appeal to potential students by having decent sports programs. But that's all sort of developed haphazardly, as has the NBA's informal partnership with it. Wasn't really designed with this in mind, especially given that college sports developed during times when few blacks were admitted to colleges (at least those with renowned sports programs) and weren't allowed to participate in sports.

Finally, comparing it with slavery misses what I think is the more subtle racism of the NCAA's self-understanding: the whole 'amateur' ideal was invented to defend the college system at some point, and it's based on teenagers needing discipline, paternalism, and 'values' being taught through sports, and this idea become prominent in the Jim Crow era and later when black athletes starting pouring into sports' programs. It's about white control--or at least the traditional powers (which are still overwhemingly white cuz america) maintaining their control--but in a much different way than slavery.
inquisitive
RealGM
And1: 2,844

Post#8 » by inquisitive » Tue May 8, 2018 2:23 am

she just wants college athletes to get paid something. i don't blame her.
KARD "You n Me " Mnet Countdown
www.youtube.com/watch?v=77b3zg3OhgI
XtremeDunkz
General Manager
And1: 6,828

Post#9 » by XtremeDunkz » Tue May 8, 2018 2:28 am

lol I had nearly 100k in student loan debt when I graduated. **** off with this. Scholarships, especially to these elite D1 schools, are not "nothing."
10/27/16
Nemesis21 wrote:It is absolutely hilarious hearing people still say Embiid has superstar potential.The guy is one injury away from being Greg Oden.:lol: Except Oden manged to play over 100 games in the NBA, I don't think Embiid will play more.
Lalouie
RealGM
And1: 10,068

Post#10 » by Lalouie » Tue May 8, 2018 2:42 am

this lady needs some perspective.. this is up there with lebron saying jax made racist comments about his "posse".

there are people dying and have died because of racism. this lady should stfu
TheExpat
Pro Prospect
And1: 128

Post#11 » by TheExpat » Tue May 8, 2018 3:58 am

ChokeFasncists wrote:Going to college is pretty expensive, the scholarship and stipends ain't nothing.

GTFO. Compared to the revenue these schools generate with their sports programs, the scholarships and stipends ARE nothing. This lady is right. NCAA athletes are getting screwed.
- Man is something that must be surpassed. Nietzsche
righterwriter
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,536

Post#12 » by righterwriter » Tue May 8, 2018 4:22 am

Mrs. Carter,

This is your son at Duke:

These are modern day slaves in Mauritania:

Try to understand the ever so subtle difference. And stop using slavery as a modern day term in America. It stopped over 150 years ago. If your son didn't want to attend Duke and wanted to get paid to play basketball, there were countless other options. Your argument is pathetic and one of the things that is wrong with racial relations in America (not to mention the fact that NO ONE in mainstream media will call her out on this).
ItsMyPotPie
Sixth Man
And1: 1,138

Post#13 » by ItsMyPotPie » Tue May 8, 2018 4:31 am

Firstly I am unaware of how the colleges and NCAA works in the US but I've got one question for all those who complain about it, is anyone forcing your children to play? I mean if you want to be pro, there are options right?

I played for my college and had to pay for myself to travel to other colleges to play against them.

Any person more informed can pass some more information.
basketballwacko2
RealGM
And1: 3,934

Post#14 » by basketballwacko2 » Tue May 8, 2018 4:33 am

Oh yeah a free college education for her kid and she thinks it's like prison or slavery! What a nut.
Future Coach
Assistant Coach
And1: 468

Post#15 » by Future Coach » Tue May 8, 2018 5:16 am

righterwriter wrote:Mrs. Carter,

This is your son at Duke:

These are modern day slaves in Mauritania:

Try to understand the ever so subtle difference. And stop using slavery as a modern day term in America. It stopped over 150 years ago. If your son didn't want to attend Duke and wanted to get paid to play basketball, there were countless other options. Your argument is pathetic and one of the things that is wrong with racial relations in America (not to mention the fact that NO ONE in mainstream media will call her out on this).

Well said.

And it is no surprise that she has failed to grasp this value as she seemingly doesn't care for education.
danfantastk32
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,637

Post#16 » by danfantastk32 » Tue May 8, 2018 5:26 am

TheExpat wrote:
ChokeFasncists wrote:Going to college is pretty expensive, the scholarship and stipends ain't nothing.

GTFO. Compared to the revenue these schools generate with their sports programs, the scholarships and stipends ARE nothing. This lady is right. NCAA athletes are getting screwed.

So start your own system, or go somewhere else....you big baby. Quit crying cause the system in place isn't quite to your liking. Make your own....or go somewhere else. Just stop crying already. So sick of the whining.
Veggamattic
Veteran
And1: 1,419

Post#17 » by Veggamattic » Tue May 8, 2018 6:05 am

GBPackers47 wrote:And what happens "when you remove all the bling and the bells and the sneakers and all that" in slavery?

I understand the point she's trying to make, but my god have we become incredibly insensitive to those who actually were/and or had family that were slaves. These were people who were ripped from their families and forced to do s*** work for nothing, while also being beaten and treated like an object.

To compare the NCAA System to slavery is ignorant and appalling.

What is appalling is getting triggered and acting righteous about a comment like that.
Raider_MXD
Senior
And1: 75

Post#18 » by Raider_MXD » Tue May 8, 2018 6:15 am

basketballwacko2 wrote:Oh yeah a free college education for her kid and she thinks it's like prison or slavery! What a nut.

I'm sorry, but what education are we talking about here? One or two years of fake classes for athletes?
ChokeFasncists
RealGM
And1: 1,501

Post#19 » by ChokeFasncists » Tue May 8, 2018 6:34 am

TheExpat wrote:

What? A school like Duke has $72,710 as estimate cost per year. Whereas G-league salary was $26,000. I would guess their stipends is more than that, so that would be close to $100,000. That's not nothing. Well, maybe you're real rich.
MorbidHEAT wrote:My dislike for Lin started during Linsanity. It was absurd. It's probably irrational dislike at this point, but man he gets on my nerves. He's been tearing us up though.
Thanks for the honesty.
basketballwacko2
RealGM
And1: 3,934

Post#20 » by basketballwacko2 » Tue May 8, 2018 7:01 am

Raider_MXD wrote:
basketballwacko2 wrote:Oh yeah a free college education for her kid and she thinks it's like prison or slavery! What a nut.

I'm sorry, but what education are we talking about here? One or two years of fake classes for athletes?

Well I don't know about Duke but I went to IU and Coach Knight made sure his players graduated. They had to go to class and make grades or they didn't play.

Return to Wiretap Discussion