DeMar DeRozan: Maybe Cleveland Just Has Our Number

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 294

DeMar DeRozan: Maybe Cleveland Just Has Our Number 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Tue May 8, 2018 3:27 pm

The Toronto Raptors have been eliminated from the playoffs by LeBron James and the Cleveland Cavaliers for the third straight season.

The Raptors were swept by Cleveland both in 2018 and 2017.

“The last three years have been rough for us, competing against this team,” said DeMar DeRozan. “Maybe they just got our number, things just don’t go right for us, whatever it is, it could be a lot of things. All I know is the last three years they have been the reason why we haven’t advanced.”

DeRozan had a PER of 12.7 during the Conference Semifinals.

Via Michael Grange/Sportsnet

gordoncatrell
Sixth Man
And1: 178

Re: DeMar DeRozan: Maybe Cleveland Just Has Our Number 

Post#2 » by gordoncatrell » Tue May 8, 2018 4:07 pm

Toldja.
GM / Prez needs to go.
Make noise Tor
coopnyc74
Pro Prospect
And1: 451

Post#3 » by coopnyc74 » Tue May 8, 2018 4:09 pm

Thanks Captain Obvious Demar Derozan.
RCM88x
RealGM
And1: 18,981

Post#4 » by RCM88x » Tue May 8, 2018 4:36 pm

"Maybe"

Lol

LookToShoot wrote:Melo is the only player that makes the Rockets watchable for the basketball purists. Otherwise it would just be three point shots and pick n roll.
davidavydave
Sophomore
And1: 32

Post#5 » by davidavydave » Tue May 8, 2018 5:22 pm

I've always thought Toronto was one of the lamest teams to watch play ball. Sure they can be exciting during some regular season games, but when it really matters in the playoffs....their best players just do not show up. You just know they won't ever advance far.

Demar may have just damaged his image and lost whatever stardom he has. He'll go down as a good scorer, but not as a great player. These playoff games define who you really are and exposes what you aren't. When you play against the best in the game, you need to take it upon yourself to play your absolute best. Instead, he checks himself out of the game. He is not a closer, which is crazy considering he's their "best" player. This is why I can never consider Demar or Lowry as great, star players. They may techincally be voted in as Allstars (in the East), but seriously....who would want these guys to lead a team in the final minutes of a game?

Disappointing.
gordoncatrell
Sixth Man

Post#6 » by gordoncatrell » Tue May 8, 2018 5:40 pm

davidavydave wrote:I've always thought Toronto was one of the lamest teams to watch play ball. Sure they can be exciting during some regular season games, but when it really matters in the playoffs....their best players just do not show up. You just know they won't ever advance far.

Demar may have just damaged his image and lost whatever stardom he has. He'll go down as a good scorer, but not as a great player. These playoff games define who you really are and exposes what you aren't. When you play against the best in the game, you need to take it upon yourself to play your absolute best. Instead, he checks himself out of the game. He is not a closer, which is crazy considering he's their "best" player. This is why I can never consider Demar or Lowry as great, star players. They may techincally be voted in as Allstars (in the East), but seriously....who would want these guys to lead a team in the final minutes of a game?

Disappointing.

blind TOR fans will blame the refs.
for a sweep. swept. sheesh.
not one peep out of TOR fan for Lowry/Derozan no-showing. they did not want to be on the court. they looked like an old boxer waiting to get KO'd.

see now why i say BOS PHI MIL are the only threats in the east. how'd IND go 7 w CLE?
would any other legit Eastern team get swept by a limp CLE team?
anatomicbomb
Sixth Man
And1: 1,209

Post#7 » by anatomicbomb » Tue May 8, 2018 6:00 pm

gordoncatrell wrote:
davidavydave wrote:I've always thought Toronto was one of the lamest teams to watch play ball. Sure they can be exciting during some regular season games, but when it really matters in the playoffs....their best players just do not show up. You just know they won't ever advance far.

Disappointing.

not one peep out of TOR fan for Lowry/Derozan no-showing. they did not want to be on the court. they looked like an old boxer waiting to get KO'd.

see now why i say BOS PHI MIL are the only threats in the east. how'd IND go 7 w CLE?

Umm...lots of Toronto fans have been complaining about their team and coaching staff for years. LOTS. If you believe that Toronto fans would only complain about the refs and nothing else, then you don't know Toronto fans.

Spoiler:
Everything is practice.
Jef
Sixth Man
And1: 3,405

Post#8 » by Jef » Tue May 8, 2018 6:18 pm

anatomicbomb wrote:
gordoncatrell wrote:

Disappointing.

Umm...lots of Toronto fans have been complaining about their team and coaching staff for years. LOTS. If you believe that Toronto fans would only complain about the refs and nothing else, then you don't know Toronto fans.

Yeah, you're probably just trolling us, but I'll take the bait anyway...

We know exactly what we have. We love the men that our players are. But we don't love our team, and one of DeMar or Kyle, or both, have to go. Casey too.

They gave us a lot. But now it's time to change. Yes I'm Captain Obvious, too.
Norman Powell, after Game 5 Pacers dunk: "That's Norman Powell!"
gordoncatrell
Sixth Man

Post#9 » by gordoncatrell » Tue May 8, 2018 6:30 pm

Jef wrote:
anatomicbomb wrote:
gordoncatrell wrote:

We know exactly what we have. We love the men that our players are. But we don't love our team, and one of DeMar or Kyle, or both, have to go. Casey too.

GM/Prez prob
leads to
Staff problems
leads to
player accountability.

starts w this.
DeRozan needs a CLE exoricism.

THIS.
Kyle needs to be accountable on his promise to deliver on his newfound 2017 body + StarLevel play. he/agents went through great lengths to promote his "newly changed" body and nonstop selfpromoting of starpower ability = 100m/3ys.

JV/IBAKA took turns being consistent nonfactors.
Hoopzilla
Starter
And1: 520

Post#10 » by Hoopzilla » Tue May 8, 2018 6:38 pm

gordoncatrell wrote:

Disappointing.

No one blames the ref for the sweep, they blame the refs for taking home court away from the Raps and giving calls to Cleveland and not the Raps. It was always easier to take when the Cavs were a top team, but when the Raps were the higher ranked team and the Cavs still got the calls, people are going to point that out. When refs do that, it takes the confidence to win and throws it out the window. After that, the other team is just putting them out of their misery.

Lowry actually had a decent playoff series with the Cavs. He averaged 17.75 ppg on over 50% from the field to go with 7.75 apg. Lowry was fine. Demar had a terrible game three and four, there is no debating that. It is easy to see why a guy like Demar loses confidence when the refs aren't giving him his foul shots. He had 11 trips to the line in four games. That is a major red flag. Demar earns his trips to the line and when the refs aren't blowing the whistle, they basically take his game away from him, hence him disappearing in games 3 and 4. I do not give Demar a pass, but it makes sense to look for a little context as to why it happened.

How good would Milwaukee be in a series if Giannis got knocked to the ground time and time again and never got a foul called in his favour? Since he can't shoot threes, it is easy to say he would end up just like Demar, losing confidence and not producing wins for his team...
gordoncatrell
Sixth Man

Post#11 » by gordoncatrell » Tue May 8, 2018 6:42 pm

anatomicbomb wrote:
gordoncatrell wrote:

Disappointing.

the plea was to "BLIND" TOR fans. not ALL TOR fans.
Hoopzilla
Starter

Post#12 » by Hoopzilla » Tue May 8, 2018 6:53 pm

gordoncatrell wrote:
Jef wrote:
anatomicbomb wrote:

GM/Prez prob
leads to
Staff problems
leads to
player accountability.

starts w this.

THIS.
Kyle needs to be accountable on his promise to deliver on his newfound 2017 body + StarLevel play. he/agents went through great lengths to promote his "newly changed" body and nonstop selfpromoting of starpower ability = 100m/3ys.

Your hate for the Raps has hit a point of idiocy. Jonas was a nonfactor? Is that why they brought in Thompson to counter him because he ate Love alive? Is that why Jonas is currently SIXTH among all players for playoff player efficiency rating? :crazy:
lebron stopper
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 24,049

Post#13 » by lebron stopper » Tue May 8, 2018 6:58 pm

DeRozan is a total negative factor in the post season when teams can plan for you. The Raptors need to move on from him ASAP if they actually care about playoff success.

He has zero elite abilities other than getting to the line, which disappears in the post season with referees having tighter whistles and playoff coaches like Ty Lue instilling discipline by fining his players for biting on pump fakes.

As a result, he is easy to shut down in the postseason. And when you have a player like that carrying most of your offense, that's bad news. He's an incredibly flawed first option and would be far better off as a complimentary player.

I know some people will rag on Lowry hard for his elimination game (which still wasn't anywhere near as atrocious as PG0's Game 6 no-show by the way) but the man finally proved this year that he can show up to play just fine in the postseason. Too bad Lowry's already 32. Luckily, he and his cerebral, high impact play will stay with the Raptors, thanks to his immovable contract and lack of demand for point guards in general.
hyberx
Starter
And1: 386

Post#14 » by hyberx » Tue May 8, 2018 7:05 pm

Two things that got them is 1. Mentally they are owned by the Cavs 2. Bad coaching.

The Raptors were doing good during the regular season, moving the ball and trusting each other. Come playoff time against Cavs, they stopped doing all that. Game 3, 3 possessions to take the lead, each time they just randomly threw the ball to somebody and try to go 1 on 1, no play no nothing. Defensively, they gave up after game 1. No hard trapping on LeBron and no rotation, just players going half way to trap and be out of position, then watch LeBron pass the ball to open player for a wide open shot. Bad coaching all around.
MaxRider
RealGM
And1: 5,805

Post#15 » by MaxRider » Tue May 8, 2018 7:17 pm

don't give up
took Jordan few years to finally beat the Pistons
gordoncatrell
Sixth Man

Post#16 » by gordoncatrell » Tue May 8, 2018 7:22 pm

Hoopzilla wrote:
gordoncatrell wrote:
Jef wrote:

GM/Prez prob
leads to
Staff problems
leads to
player accountability.

starts w this.

THIS.

Your hate for the Raps has hit a point of idiocy. Jonas was a nonfactor? Is that why they brought in Thompson to counter him because he ate Love alive? Is that why Jonas is currently SIXTH among all players for playoff player efficiency rating? :crazy:

nonfactor.
24mpg for your star center. was paid like a star center in 15. rule of thumb, you cant "EAT SOMEONE ALIVE" playing 24mpg. you gotta be a starlevel threat impacting the flow of the game EVERYGAME. his saving grace was he helped offset Tristan?
the same TT CLE dusted off after a several reg season + PO DNP string?
gosh, such low expectations for JV the Center(piece) of big name trade rumors.
anyway.
a glimpse. you fell into the hole. i wasnt gonna add JV into the batch, but it was a test to see if TOR Fandom would take the team to task. so i left JVs name on there as on off ramp. you took it.
why do that to some random poster on the forum instead of calling out the franchise for years of letdowns?
hoopstime
Junior
And1: 332

Post#17 » by hoopstime » Tue May 8, 2018 7:34 pm

MaxRider wrote:don't give up
took Jordan few years to finally beat the Pistons

we don't have a jordan on our team.
Hoopzilla
Starter

Post#18 » by Hoopzilla » Tue May 8, 2018 7:51 pm

gordoncatrell wrote:
Hoopzilla wrote:
gordoncatrell wrote:
GM/Prez prob
leads to
Staff problems
leads to
player accountability.

starts w this.

THIS.

nonfactor.
24mpg for your star center. was paid like a star center in 15. rule of thumb, you cant "EAT SOMEONE ALIVE" playing 24mpg. you gotta be a starlevel threat impacting the flow of the game EVERYGAME. his saving grace was he helped offset Tristan?
the same TT CLE dusted off after a several reg season + PO DNP string?
gosh, such low expectations for JV the Center(piece) of big name trade rumors.
anyway.
a glimpse. you fell into the hole. i wasnt gonna add JV into the batch, but it was a test to see if TOR Fandom would take the team to task. so i left JVs name on there as on off ramp. you took it.
why do that to some random poster on the forum instead of calling out the franchise for years of letdowns?

16.25 ppg, 12.0 rpg, 1.75 bpg and 50% from the floor in 24.8 mpg. If you can get that type of production from a player, you take it every night. That is far from being a nonfactor no matter how you want to spin it. :crazy:

He is a factor because when he is in the game, the opposing coach has no choice but to address him or get scored on in the low post. That is the definition of being a factor, when opposing teams react to you being on the court.

He was not paid as a star center in '15. He was given a nice contract for that CBA, but it is more team friendly contract on this new CBA. Nobody looked at it like he was being paid like an all star back then. Young big men with desired skillsets are going to demand a premium come contract time. Seven footers with skills don't grow on trees. He got paid what he was worth.
danfantastk32
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,645

Post#19 » by danfantastk32 » Tue May 8, 2018 8:01 pm

This team is the East-Coast T-Blazers. Your just not good enough, and your spinning in circles at this point. Truth is...this Cavs team totally sucks, and it will either get much better next year, or LBJ will goto a better team. Either way...this was the 'weakest' Lebron you will ever face, and he just swept you. And this Lebron / Cavs team will go get just absolutely annihilated by whichever teams comes out of the West.....If they even beat the Celtics, which they damn well may not. A Celtic team that will be way, way, better next year.

All of this just hit Derozen like a ton of bricks. He just admitted to everyone that he thinks it's futile. It's over. He just checked out in front of your very eyes (not that it mattered). Fire the coach if you want.....won't make a lick of difference.

Not trying to be a hater / not anti T-Town in the slightest. Just telling the truth. Time to overhaul. Do the smart thing, and get moving fast. I think there will be several teams like you (Portland, Washington, Miami...Spurs if Kawhi leaves, Cavs...if Lebron leaves) all trying to dump big-salary players. Go talk to a team like Sacramento..they got some $$ to spend. Send em DeRozen, and get 2-picks...something like that. It sucks to do it...but the time has come.
whoknows
General Manager
And1: 1,495

Post#20 » by whoknows » Tue May 8, 2018 8:04 pm

Derozan is the main reason, he is the franchise snowflake that melts under the playoffs heat!
No defense ISO chucker on max salary that destroys any team flow, what could be be wrong??

And, no it is not Cleverland only, before that DD'd team got swept by Wizards while Raps had again the home court advantage!

Return to Wiretap Discussion