Spurs Resisting Trade Interest In Kawhi Leonard

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

Spurs Resisting Trade Interest In Kawhi Leonard 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Thu May 10, 2018 8:26 pm

The San Antonio Spurs are resisting back channel calls from teams interested in trading for Kawhi Leonard.

"The Spurs want to try to make things work right now and aren't interested," said a Western Conference executive.

The Spurs had issues with LaMarcus Aldridge heading into last year's offseason that Gregg Popovich was able to reconcile.

"You can never say done because everybody thought that the Aldridge thing was over and that there was no chance to salvage that," one of the people said. "Pop went in and smoothed it over. You can't underestimate the power of the Pop in these situations."

Via Ken Berger/Bleacher Report

gordoncatrell
Sixth Man
And1: 178

Re: Spurs Resisting Trade Interest In Kawhi Leonard 

Post#2 » by gordoncatrell » Thu May 10, 2018 8:31 pm

Read between the lines.
Figure out what's really happening.
Then you'll understand the forthcoming "toldja".
likashing
Head Coach
And1: 1,959

Post#3 » by likashing » Thu May 10, 2018 9:40 pm

Did you hear this from Pop's people or Kawhi's people? I hear Pop's people really hate Kawhi's people because Pop's people has cleared Kawhi to play while Kawhi's leg still hurts after games. Pop's people don't trust Kawhi about Kawhi's leg, they say it's fine just go play.
Mark Jackson wrote:Playoff preparation is overrated... I’m going to get my rest. I’m not going to grow old and be stressed out and get gray hair.
dice
RealGM
And1: 12,588

Post#4 » by dice » Thu May 10, 2018 9:48 pm

gordoncatrell wrote:Read between the lines.
Figure out what's really happening.
Then you'll understand the forthcoming "toldja".

so much decoding required in matters nba

yawn
the donald, always unpopular, did worse in EVERY state in 2020. and by a greater margin in red states! 50 independently-run elections, none of them rigged
the_process
RealGM
And1: 8,768

Post#5 » by the_process » Thu May 10, 2018 9:50 pm

Supposedly the Spurs offered Kawhi to an Eastern team for another star player plus a pick... and the East team said no.

My money is on the Knicks saying no to KP and 9. And good for them for learning something finally.
dice
RealGM

Post#6 » by dice » Thu May 10, 2018 9:56 pm

the_process wrote:Supposedly the Spurs offered Kawhi to an Eastern team for another star player plus a pick... and the East team said no.

My money is on the Knicks saying no to KP and 9. And good for them for learning something finally.

both have injury issues, both will be getting max deals after next season...why wouldn't the knicks give up a #9 pick to get a much better player?
the donald, always unpopular, did worse in EVERY state in 2020. and by a greater margin in red states! 50 independently-run elections, none of them rigged
Chris3323
Pro Prospect
And1: 49

Post#7 » by Chris3323 » Thu May 10, 2018 10:46 pm

If they trade Kawhi, it should be for an Elite PG.
nikster
RealGM
And1: 11,878

Post#8 » by nikster » Thu May 10, 2018 11:11 pm

dice wrote:
the_process wrote:Supposedly the Spurs offered Kawhi to an Eastern team for another star player plus a pick... and the East team said no.

both have injury issues, both will be getting max deals after next season...why wouldn't the knicks give up a #9 pick to get a much better player?

because KP is 4 years younger. He still has room to improve and the chances that they manage to build something around KP are better simply because they have more time to do it. Plus the Knicks understand KPs injury. Kawhii just missed an entire season and not even the Spurs medical staff know whats going on. Thats a huge risk.
dice
RealGM

Post#9 » by dice » Thu May 10, 2018 11:18 pm

nikster wrote:
dice wrote:

because KP is 4 years younger. He still has room to improve and the chances that they manage to build something around KP are better simply because they have more time to do it. Plus the Knicks understand KPs injury. Kawhii just missed an entire season and not even the Spurs medical staff know whats going on. Thats a huge risk.

that KP is younger is a plus only if he becomes a "supermax" player, i.e. a bargain on a max deal, which healthy kawhii already is. I don't see KP getting to that level

the spurs staff THINKS they know what's going on. whether they actually do is another question, but they think he's ready to roll
nikster
RealGM
And1: 11,878

Post#10 » by nikster » Thu May 10, 2018 11:20 pm

dice wrote:
nikster wrote:
dice wrote:both have injury issues, both will be getting max deals after next season...why wouldn't the knicks give up a #9 pick to get a much better player?

that KP is younger is a plus only if he becomes a "supermax" player, i.e. a bargain on a max deal, which healthy kawhii already is. I don't see KP getting to that level

the spurs staff THINKS they know what's going on. whether they actually do is another question, but they think he's ready to roll

the Spurs staff thought he was ready to roll months ago and he still didnt play a game
the_process
RealGM

Post#11 » by the_process » Thu May 10, 2018 11:48 pm

dice wrote:

If you’re the Knicks... the point is to pair Kawhi and Porzingis, not trade one for the other.
Da ThRONe
Veteran
And1: 1,886

Post#12 » by Da ThRONe » Fri May 11, 2018 1:25 am

the_process wrote:
dice wrote:

If you’re the Knicks... the point is to pair Kawhi and Porzingis, not trade one for the other.

Which is great if you have the option to do so. But if Kawhi does hit the trade block and the Knicks want him they'll have to give up assets and the only one that's getting Leonard is Porzingis. If I'm a GM and I have to choose between Kawhi and Kristaps and choosing Kawhi in a heartbeat all things considered.
the_process
RealGM

Post#13 » by the_process » Fri May 11, 2018 1:47 am

Da ThRONe wrote:
the_process wrote:
dice wrote:both have injury issues, both will be getting max deals after next season...why wouldn't the knicks give up a #9 pick to get a much better player?

Which is great if you have the option to do so. But if Kawhi does hit the trade block and the Knicks want him they'll have to give up assets and the only one that's getting Leonard is Porzingis. If I'm a GM and I have to choose between Kawhi and Kristaps and choosing Kawhi in a heartbeat all things considered.

9, Lee, and Ntilikina is enough. Especially since Kawhi is only going to have 4 or 5 teams on his list.
ChokeFasncists
RealGM
And1: 1,501

Post#14 » by ChokeFasncists » Fri May 11, 2018 3:52 am

There's no hurry.
MorbidHEAT wrote:My dislike for Lin started during Linsanity. It was absurd. It's probably irrational dislike at this point, but man he gets on my nerves. He's been tearing us up though.
Thanks for the honesty.
miltk
Lead Assistant
And1: 751

Post#15 » by miltk » Fri May 11, 2018 4:14 am

what happened to the "looking to trade kawhi" rumors last week?
gordoncatrell
Sixth Man
And1: 178

Post#16 » by gordoncatrell » Fri May 11, 2018 4:26 am

miltk wrote:what happened to the "looking to trade kawhi" rumors last week?

anyone in the forum wanna take a swing at what "negotiating through the press" means?
KL has RC in a headlock right now. it's tough for RC out there.
imagump1313
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,264

Post#17 » by imagump1313 » Fri May 11, 2018 12:52 pm

the_process wrote:9, Lee, and Ntilikina is enough. Especially since Kawhi is only going to have 4 or 5 teams on his list.

LMAO!!! The Spurs can just keep him next year rather than take garbage like this in return.
If he really wants out then he can walk and SA will have 22 million in cap space to rebuild in 19/20
Mykhyn
General Manager
And1: 2,232

Post#18 » by Mykhyn » Fri May 11, 2018 1:12 pm

nikster wrote:
dice wrote:
nikster wrote:because KP is 4 years younger. He still has room to improve and the chances that they manage to build something around KP are better simply because they have more time to do it. Plus the Knicks understand KPs injury. Kawhii just missed an entire season and not even the Spurs medical staff know whats going on. Thats a huge risk.

the Spurs staff thought he was ready to roll months ago and he still didnt play a game

You're right, he played 9
Dr Huge Pecs
Senior
And1: 79

Post#19 » by Dr Huge Pecs » Fri May 11, 2018 1:57 pm

Gotta say, kawhi has 3 strikes against him vs Kp's 1

Kp is younger
KAwhi's "team" around him seems to be more important to him than his actual team, the spurs.
They both have injuries...but one sat an entire season and no one knows why.

Kawhi is the better player now but I think the spurs could do as much damage with kp as he stretches the floor...and might want out of nyk...kawhi might want in.

I say its a win for the spurs and possibly the knicks...but the knicks would screw it up somehow.
Da ThRONe
Veteran
And1: 1,886

Post#20 » by Da ThRONe » Fri May 11, 2018 5:23 pm

the_process wrote:
Da ThRONe wrote:
the_process wrote:

9, Lee, and Ntilikina is enough. Especially since Kawhi is only going to have 4 or 5 teams on his list.

Paul George let it be known he wants to play in LA with one year on his deal and got more than that. And Leonard is the superior player and younger.

Return to Wiretap Discussion