Raptors Will Consider Rex Kalamian, Nick Nurse For Head Coach Job

Moderators: Domejandro, bwgood77

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 291

Raptors Will Consider Rex Kalamian, Nick Nurse For Head Coach Job 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Fri May 11, 2018 10:45 pm

The Toronto Raptors will consider Rex Kalamian and Nick Nurse for their head coaching vacancy.

Kalamian and Nurse have been serving as assistant coaches for the Raptors under Dwane Casey, who was relieved of his duties as head coach on Friday.

Kalamian was a longtime assistant for the Oklahoma City Thunder under Scott Brooks until joining the Raptors in 2015.

Nurse joined the Raptors in 2013.

Via David Aldridge/NBA.com

Hoopzilla
Starter
And1: 520

Re: Raptors Will Consider Rex Kalamian, Nick Nurse For Head Coach Job 

Post#2 » by Hoopzilla » Sat May 12, 2018 2:46 am

I hope this is a courtesy interview for them so they can get some experience for when they seriously look for a head coach position someday down the road. If this is serious consideration, I will seriously have to question Masai's sanity. I would consider either of their hires to be a step back leadership wise. I don't care if they have established a rapport with the group. There are much more experienced and skilled coaches available that can potentially move the club forward.
deeps6x
General Manager
And1: 5,864

Post#3 » by deeps6x » Sat May 12, 2018 3:45 am

Oh hell no.

Promoting from within means they plan to keep the core and system intact and waste two more years until those big ass contracts expire.

Do the RIGHT thing instead and trade your pseudo stars for lottery picks in this draft. It is pointless if the plan is to do it in the next draft.

I guess they just want to keep taking fans money and sucking in the playoffs.

Also, Casey fired = someone can finally hold DD and Lowry accountable. But if that is to work, it has to be someone from outside the system.
BoyzNTheHood wrote:I apologize, I have incredibly small genitalia
ChokeFasncists
RealGM
And1: 1,501

Post#4 » by ChokeFasncists » Sat May 12, 2018 3:58 am

Just PR I hope. This would be either totally idiotic or super fortunate.
MorbidHEAT wrote:My dislike for Lin started during Linsanity. It was absurd. It's probably irrational dislike at this point, but man he gets on my nerves. He's been tearing us up though.
Thanks for the honesty.
NBARocks
Sixth Man
And1: 1,505

Post#5 » by NBARocks » Sat May 12, 2018 8:14 am

Kalamian learned under Scott Brooks and Dwayne Casey, let that sink in. as for Nurse, you can keep him as an offensive assistant, but he sure as hell didn't help in the Cleveland series. None in the coaching staff had any idea how to stop Lebron or get better shots against the Cavs' defense. So they need someone from the outside to solve their problems for them.
donemilio21
Veteran
And1: 763

Post#6 » by donemilio21 » Sat May 12, 2018 10:43 pm

NBARocks wrote:Kalamian learned under Scott Brooks and Dwayne Casey, let that sink in. as for Nurse, you can keep him as an offensive assistant, but he sure as hell didn't help in the Cleveland series. None in the coaching staff had any idea how to stop Lebron or get better shots against the Cavs' defense. So they need someone from the outside to solve their problems for them.

He was also assistant to Alvin Gentry and Bill Fitch in the late 90s, early 2000s with the Clippers. He could have named head coach in 2003, but Sterling was sold on bringing in Dunleavy.
radeonboy
Analyst
And1: 3,704

Post#7 » by radeonboy » Sun May 13, 2018 9:48 pm

Masai gonna lose his job if he hires from within. Stackhouse is the only guy who doesn't have a link to Casey but is too green, but worth the shot. I'd rather hire a playoff positive record winning coach though.

Return to Wiretap Discussion