Puma Pursuing Endorsement Deal With Trae Young

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 292

Puma Pursuing Endorsement Deal With Trae Young 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Tue May 15, 2018 1:40 pm

Puma is pursuing an endorsement deal with Trae Young.

Young is being targeted by Puma with the hopes of using him as the face of their basketball line as they re-enter the landscape for the first time in nearly two decades.

"There's a magic to certain players. There's an 'it factor' that's hard to quantify, and I believe he has that," said Omar Wilkes, one of the Octagon agents representing Young. "He's able to have that with his combination of passing, shooting, ballhandling and charisma. There's an effortless ease about him when he's on the court."

Young will listen to endorsement pitches beginning next week in Los Angeles with Nike, Adidas, Under Armour and Puma.

"This is their first real foray back into basketball since 1998 with Vince Carter," Wilkes said. "The possibility to be the seminal piece to re-establish that category for Puma is what's enticing."

Via Nick DePaula/ESPN

Donnyxc
Starter
And1: 247

Re: Puma Pursuing Endorsement Deal With Trae Young 

Post#2 » by Donnyxc » Tue May 15, 2018 2:45 pm

Kid is gonna be gooooood
"If I had to choose a player to take a shot to save a game I'd choose Michael Jordan; If I had to choose a player to take a shot to save my life...I'd take Larry Bird." - Pat Riley
commentatorer
Sixth Man
And1: 815

Post#3 » by commentatorer » Tue May 15, 2018 3:27 pm

Is this the guy that shoots 3-pointers?
JunkYardDog6ix
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,378

Post#4 » by JunkYardDog6ix » Tue May 15, 2018 3:52 pm

Puma on the come up
MegaK
Bench Warmer
And1: 133

Post#5 » by MegaK » Tue May 15, 2018 4:12 pm

He's worth pursuing. Hope the Knicks pick him up in their projected lottery position. Really like watching him play. He had a nice run in college when there were articles about how he broke basketball. Then teams started picking him up double team style from half court and his averages dipped a little. NBA teams aren't going to be able to double him half court, should be interesting to see what happens next year.
gordoncatrell
Sixth Man
And1: 178

Post#6 » by gordoncatrell » Tue May 15, 2018 6:09 pm

get paid NOW, before the league exposes him as average.
ChokeFasncists
RealGM
And1: 1,501

Post#7 » by ChokeFasncists » Tue May 15, 2018 6:39 pm

I love the Puma running shoes but don't like the basketball shoes.

Hope they improve on that.
MorbidHEAT wrote:My dislike for Lin started during Linsanity. It was absurd. It's probably irrational dislike at this point, but man he gets on my nerves. He's been tearing us up though.
Thanks for the honesty.
12footrim
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,316

Post#8 » by 12footrim » Tue May 15, 2018 8:00 pm

gordoncatrell wrote:get paid NOW, before the league exposes him as average.

27.4 ppg
8.7 apg
3.9 rpg

28.2 PER
.587 true shooting

Yeah I don't claim to know everything there is to know and I haven't even seen him more than a couple times but you do that as a freshman in a power league and I'm not betting against you, especially considering he's projected what like 10th in the draft.

Those numbers are incredible and that's more statistically impressive as a freshman in a FAR more tougher conference than Curry was doing as a Junior when they pushed the 3 point line back.
Where I write

The Hoops Resource
gordoncatrell
Sixth Man
And1: 178

Post#9 » by gordoncatrell » Tue May 15, 2018 8:33 pm

12footrim wrote:

27.4 ppg
8.7 apg
3.9 rpg

28.2 PER
.587 true shooting

Yeah I don't claim to know everything there is to know and I haven't even seen him more than a couple times but you do that as a freshman in a power league and I'm not betting against you, especially considering he's projected what like 10th in the draft.

Those numbers are incredible and that's more statistically impressive as a freshman in a FAR more tougher conference than Curry was doing as a Junior when they pushed the 3 point line back.

there is NO comp to Curry. college #s do NOT translate to Pros.
Curry college numbers did NOT foretell his Pro success.
PGs + Wings in the league are Murderers Row
Trae has good handle/vision gives him space. he's a taller SAC Isiah Thomas. he's not BOS IT.
short arms, very lean body. he has to get low to ground. he doesnt have the speed/power of DAME.
the league usage PGs/WINGs is a different world than what the kids see in college (see DLo, Fultz, Hield).
he'll start out average. if he has the confidence to HungerGames his roster/teammates he'll float up the SAC Isiash Thomas level.
miltk
Lead Assistant
And1: 751

Post#10 » by miltk » Wed May 16, 2018 3:29 am

gordoncatrell wrote:
12footrim wrote:

27.4 ppg
8.7 apg
3.9 rpg

28.2 PER
.587 true shooting

there is NO comp to Curry. college #s do NOT translate to Pros.
PGs + Wings in the league are Murderers Row
Trae has good handle/vision gives him space. he's a taller SAC Isiah Thomas. he's not BOS IT.
short arms, very lean body. he has to get low to ground. he doesnt have the speed/power of DAME.
the league usage PGs/WINGs is a different world than what the kids see in college (see DLo, Fultz, Hield).
he'll start out average. if he has the confidence to HungerGames his roster/teammates he'll float up the SAC Isiash Thomas level.

he releases his shot quick and early, exactly like curry. so short arms be damned.

and yes you are right. curry was something no one expected so there is little chance young is another curry. you cannot calculate for what curry has become, but it does validate the willingness to take a chance on young, ie slight build and okay athleticism where once the nba was looking for something "more"
12footrim
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,316

Post#11 » by 12footrim » Wed May 16, 2018 12:57 pm

gordoncatrell wrote:
there is NO comp to Curry.

Sure you can't expect anyone to be an all time great, but scouts have rated him the CLOSEST since Curry and he has a similar build and style of game and clearly that has worked.

college #s do NOT translate to Pros.

Not actually true. There is a pretty strong correlation overall. Look at Kevin Pelton's work.

The guy was built like a 12 year old in college and coming out, that's the reason no one believed in him for a long time. Look at Curry's arms now and what he has physically built himself into. Young is 19 he has plenty of room to grow and get stronger is the point and is at a farther point already than Curry was at 19. Big 12 isn't the Big South and he was wrecking it more than Curry was at 19 in a top 6 conference not a 20+ ranked one. Everything you said about height and lenght is similar. Curry has a wingspan only an inch and a half more than IT for instance and fairly marginal athletic ability. Clearly there is still a path for success if you have skills.
Where I write

The Hoops Resource

Return to Wiretap Discussion