Wolves-Nuggets Game On Last Day Of Season Reinvigorated Play-In Tournament

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

Wolves-Nuggets Game On Last Day Of Season Reinvigorated Play-In Tournament 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Wed May 16, 2018 2:21 pm

The NBA's general managers met before the lottery on Tuesday to discuss a few league business items.

One of the topics that generated the most debate was the idea of an end-of-season play-in tournament.

Comments from LeBron James denouncing the idea stalled its momentum earlier in the year, but the quality of the win-or-go-home game on the final day of the regular season between the Denver Nuggets and Minnesota Timberwolves has reinvigorated it.

The NBA has floated the idea of two four-team tournament featuring the seventh, eighth, ninth and tenth seeds in each conference. The seventh seed would host the eighth seed for a single game with the winner grabbing the seventh spot while the loser would then play the winner of the ninth seed versus the tenth seed.

Via Zach Lowe/ESPN

Donnyxc
Starter
And1: 247

Re: Wolves-Nuggets Game On Last Day Of Season Reinvigorated Play-In Tournament 

Post#2 » by Donnyxc » Wed May 16, 2018 2:53 pm

It might draw more viewership. Really invested NBA fans are already going to be watching those games on League pass. But the casual sports fan might not know about them unless they are keen on the standings. It's not a great idea if the 7th seed has 5-10 more wins than the 11th seed though. You have to incentivize winning in the regular season more than a final elimination type of series in the spring.
"If I had to choose a player to take a shot to save a game I'd choose Michael Jordan; If I had to choose a player to take a shot to save my life...I'd take Larry Bird." - Pat Riley
Tofubeque
RealGM
And1: 14,188

Post#3 » by Tofubeque » Wed May 16, 2018 3:41 pm

So are they shortening the season to 80 games? The appeal of the Wolves-Nuggets game was just that, it was the last day of the regular season and playoffs came right after. Do they want to add more playoff/play-in games to a postseason that already drags too long?
props Turbozone
Saints14
Assistant Coach
And1: 5,461

Post#4 » by Saints14 » Wed May 16, 2018 3:44 pm

Holy sheet, we don't need any more teams in the postseason. It's kind of a joke that less teams miss the playoffs than make it as is
Pickled Prunes
General Manager
And1: 1,213

Post#5 » by Pickled Prunes » Wed May 16, 2018 4:57 pm

A BS way to get 6 more games of BRI to share among the owners might get the vote. But do we really need to see one more game if the matchup is Detroit vs. Charlotte? And if one of them actually wins their way in it just makes the first round 1 vs. 9/10 harder to watch.

Lame!
youngthegiant
Head Coach
And1: 5,606

Post#6 » by youngthegiant » Wed May 16, 2018 6:33 pm

Shorten the season then, making a team play 82 games and deciding their season on 1 game is bull****.

I hated watching my teams entire season coming down to a road game that was heavily dictated by the refs.

Return to Wiretap Discussion