Luka Doncic Undecided About Joining NBA Next Season

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

Luka Doncic Undecided About Joining NBA Next Season 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Thu May 17, 2018 8:25 pm

Luka Doncic revealed to reporters that he remains unsure if he'll go to the NBA next season.

Doncic already has a lucrative contract playing for Real Madrid.

"Ι'm not sure if these are the last two games [in Europe]," Doncic said at a news conference for the EuroLeague Final Four. "We have yet to make this decision. Perhaps after the season."

The Suns, Kings, Hawks, Grizzlies and Mavericks comprise the top-5.

Doncic is widely considered one of the top-3 prospects in the draft.

Via ESPN

malgus
Rookie
And1: 116

Re: Luka Doncic Undecided About Joining NBA Next Season 

Post#2 » by malgus » Thu May 17, 2018 9:12 pm

"Luka Doncic doesn't want to be on the Kings"
ChokeFasncists
RealGM
And1: 1,501

Post#3 » by ChokeFasncists » Thu May 17, 2018 9:17 pm

malgus wrote:"Luka Doncic doesn't want to be on the Kings"

They've got Divac, Peja and Bogdan. That'd be surprising.

OP: Saric 2.0? Would be great for teams that want to do the Process 2.0.
MorbidHEAT wrote:My dislike for Lin started during Linsanity. It was absurd. It's probably irrational dislike at this point, but man he gets on my nerves. He's been tearing us up though.
Thanks for the honesty.
PDXKnight
RealGM
And1: 2,676

Post#4 » by PDXKnight » Thu May 17, 2018 9:23 pm

I think he will change his mind for NBA money real quickly
malgus
Rookie

Post#5 » by malgus » Thu May 17, 2018 9:35 pm

“[Doncic] is under contract in Real Madrid. If he doesn’t want to go to Sacramento, he can definitely make things hard on them by saying, ‘Guys if you draft me, I’m going to sign a huge extension, I’m going to make 2 million Euro next year and I’m not coming over until you trade my rights.’"
-ESPN’s Jonathon Givony

Also the salary they make in Euro is tax free (prepaid taxes) and includes housing and meals and everything.
MJallday59
Veteran

Post#6 » by MJallday59 » Thu May 17, 2018 9:39 pm

malgus wrote:“[Doncic] is under contract in Real Madrid. If he doesn’t want to go to Sacramento, he can definitely make things hard on them by saying, ‘Guys if you draft me, I’m going to sign a huge extension, I’m going to make 2 million Euro next year and I’m not coming over until you trade my rights.’"
-ESPN’s Jonathon Givony

Also the salary they make in Euro is tax free (prepaid taxes) and includes housing and meals and everything.

Does he want to be in Memphis? Is that his ideal landing spot?
Kevin Willis
RealGM
And1: 7,941

Post#7 » by Kevin Willis » Thu May 17, 2018 9:58 pm

Whatever. Let him finish the season and then ask him.
Ska needs to make a comeback.
thamadkant
Suns Forum Picker of Cherries
And1: 7,771

Post#8 » by thamadkant » Thu May 17, 2018 9:58 pm

MJallday59 wrote:
malgus wrote:“[Doncic] is under contract in Real Madrid. If he doesn’t want to go to Sacramento, he can definitely make things hard on them by saying, ‘Guys if you draft me, I’m going to sign a huge extension, I’m going to make 2 million Euro next year and I’m not coming over until you trade my rights.’"
-ESPN’s Jonathon Givony

Does he want to be in Memphis? Is that his ideal landing spot?

No. He wants to go to Suns under a coach he likes Igor Kokoskov

They have the same agent... And same agent as Ayton as well.

Think about it for a second.
CowboyBebop
Starter
And1: 2,134

Post#9 » by CowboyBebop » Thu May 17, 2018 10:01 pm

He’s not 100% sure he’s ready to play with the big boys. Smart kid. Let him reevaluate at the end of the season and decide if it’s worth it.
CowboyBebop wrote:Will Lebron be able to get warriors players suspended again so he has another chance to win this year? Or will he fail and get yet another loss on an already unimpressive finals record?
dice
RealGM
And1: 12,542

Post#10 » by dice » Thu May 17, 2018 10:19 pm

-ESPN’s Jonathon Givony

after taxes he would make around 14 mil over 3 years on his nba rookie contract in an average state. in california it would be about a million less (half his salary taxed at the california rate if I'm not mistaken)

so he'd be making more than double coming over here. plus he'd be delaying his NEXT nba contract by staying overseas longer

question is, does him staying over there longer make him a MORE appealing prospect? he'd be a more seasoned player and provide more value on his rookie deal
the donald, always unpopular, did worse in EVERY state in 2020. and by a greater margin in red states! 50 independently-run elections, none of them rigged
Harry Garris
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 13,560

Post#11 » by Harry Garris » Thu May 17, 2018 11:02 pm

CowboyBebop wrote:He’s not 100% sure he’s ready to play with the big boys. Smart kid. Let him reevaluate at the end of the season and decide if it’s worth it.

More than likely this is his leverage in case he gets drafted to a team he doesn't want to play for.
the_process
RealGM
And1: 8,721

Post#12 » by the_process » Thu May 17, 2018 11:39 pm

Complete non-story. He’s in EuroLeague Final Four people... how many of you would be happy if your players were in the conference finals talking about FA??
Dr Huge Pecs
Senior
And1: 79

Post#13 » by Dr Huge Pecs » Fri May 18, 2018 12:22 am

Oh he can play in the NBA... He just doesnt want to get picked 1 or 2 by 2 of the absolute worst franchises in the league.

He announced this right after the ping pong balls fell... Not obvious enough????
thamadkant
Suns Forum Picker of Cherries
And1: 7,771

Post#14 » by thamadkant » Fri May 18, 2018 12:24 am

Dr Huge Pecs wrote:Oh he can play in the NBA... He just doesnt want to get picked 1 or 2 by 2 of the absolute worst franchises in the league.

He announced this right after the ping pong balls fell... Not obvious enough????

He would play for Suns and his coach Igor that he won a championship with and LIVED with...

and also share the same Agent with..... funnily, Ayton also share the same agent.
D21
Assistant Coach
And1: 658

Post#15 » by D21 » Fri May 18, 2018 12:31 am

ChokeFasncists wrote:

Divac, Peja and Bogdan are all Serbians
Kokoskov is also Serbian, but he's the Slovenian national team coach, and Doncic is Slovenian

So I bet he would prefer to be in PHO more than SAC
Acutally, if Divac had named Kokoskov as head coach, it would have been a perfect dream for all of them ;-)

ChokeFasncists wrote:OP: Saric 2.0? Would be great for teams that want to do the Process 2.0.

So it would perfect in ATL, since Schlenk doesn't want to improve the team now as much as he can, but prefer adding assets, even by taking bad contracts this summer with the cap room. No Doncic next season would make the team worst and getting a better pick next season.
Acountant_Z
Junior
And1: 169

Post#16 » by Acountant_Z » Fri May 18, 2018 12:53 am

D21 wrote:
ChokeFasncists wrote:

Kokoskov is also Serbian, but he's the Slovenian national team coach, and Doncic is Slovenian

Acutally, if Divac had named Kokoskov as head coach, it would have been a perfect dream for all of them ;-)

ChokeFasncists wrote:OP: Saric 2.0? Would be great for teams that want to do the Process 2.0.

So it would perfect in ATL, since Schlenk doesn't want to improve the team now as much as he can, but prefer adding assets, even by taking bad contracts this summer with the cap room. No Doncic next season would make the team worst and getting a better pick next season.

His father is Serbian.
D21
Assistant Coach
And1: 658

Post#17 » by D21 » Fri May 18, 2018 1:41 am

Acountant_Z wrote:
D21 wrote:
ChokeFasncists wrote:They've got Divac, Peja and Bogdan. That'd be surprising.

His father is Serbian.

Wrong, his father is Slovenian, born in part of ex-Yougoslavia which became Slovenia
It's only the parents of his father (grandparents of Luka), they are Serbians who moved to Slovenian part of ex-Yougoslavia
[EverGreen]
Junior
And1: 168

Post#18 » by [EverGreen] » Fri May 18, 2018 2:13 am

the_process wrote:Complete non-story. He’s in EuroLeague Final Four people... how many of you would be happy if your players were in the conference finals talking about FA??

This. Right. Here.

I can't believe more people can't see this and are buying into that he doesn't want to go to the Kings. He's a professional. There is no way he is saying anything about leaving EuroLeague until his season is over.

It would be like Durant talking about leaving the Warriors right now.
gordoncatrell
Sixth Man
And1: 178

Post#19 » by gordoncatrell » Fri May 18, 2018 4:22 am

he should be a late round pick.
this is reverse marketing. it's contrived conflict to churn up value.
he's an OK rotation player. slow, short arms, average-minus athlete. good IQ, great anticipation, he's always in stride within the play.
the G league is littered w TONS of comparable players. LAC landed a few during the 17/18
Johnny Firpo
RealGM
And1: 8,689

Post#20 » by Johnny Firpo » Fri May 18, 2018 8:34 am

gordoncatrell wrote:he should be a late round pick.
this is reverse marketing. it's contrived conflict to churn up value.
he's an OK rotation player. slow, short arms, average-minus athlete. good IQ, great anticipation, he's always in stride within the play.
the G league is littered w TONS of comparable players. LAC landed a few during the 17/18

Lmao, this is so ridiculous, it doesn't even worth seriously replying to. :D If you are serious, wow.

Return to Wiretap Discussion