Re: KeyArena Renovation Plan May Not Meet NBA's Standards

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

KeyArena Renovation Plan May Not Meet NBA's Standards 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Mon May 21, 2018 7:12 pm

Seattle has been working on a renovation plan for KeyArena, which they hope can attract franchises in the NBA and NHL.

This renovation plan comes after Chris Hansen was unsuccessful in getting an NBA team to his site in SoDo.

The KeyArena renovation, however, may not be up to the NBA's standards for an arena.

"I don't believe the arena deal Seattle settled on was adequate for the NBA and until they have that, it's a non-starter," wrote Brian Windhorst.

Via Brian Windhorst/ESPN

Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics
And1: 14,465

Post#2 » by Cactus Jack » Mon May 21, 2018 8:29 pm

False misinformation being put out by Windhorst.

Tim Leiweke (Strong NBA ties) is the man behind the new arena in Seattle. The plan is to bring the NHL first & then the NBA back.

We not only meet minimum standards for the NBA, it’ll be one of the better NBA-built, designed facilities.

https://www.sonicsrising.com/2018/4/12/17227134/seattle-center-arena-perfect-basketball-building-nba-leiweke
Dominater wrote:Damn Cactus jack takin over
WC NBA Fan
Junior
And1: 187

Post#3 » by WC NBA Fan » Mon May 21, 2018 8:33 pm

This is contrary to everything I've heard up to this point. Leiweke said time & time again that he had been in constant communication with the leagues on what would make for a satisfactory renovation of the Key. Either Leiweke is lying or Windhorst doesn't have his facts straight. I want to see some quotes from major players.
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics

Post#4 » by Cactus Jack » Mon May 21, 2018 8:40 pm

WC NBA Fan wrote:This is contrary to everything I've heard up to this point. Leiweke said time & time again that he had been in constant communication with the leagues on what would make for a satisfactory renovation of the Key. Either Leiweke is lying or Windhorst doesn't have his facts straight. I want to see some quotes from major players.

The man is a Cleveland reporter, who's job is to follow around & report on Lebron. He doesn't have any contacts in Seattle. This is lazy & very poor reporting on his part.

Read on Twitter

This pretty much shoots down that take. It was HIS opinion. Not facts.
MartinToVaught
RealGM
And1: 17,201

Post#5 » by MartinToVaught » Mon May 21, 2018 9:44 pm

WC NBA Fan wrote:This is contrary to everything I've heard up to this point. Leiweke said time & time again that he had been in constant communication with the leagues on what would make for a satisfactory renovation of the Key. Either Leiweke is lying or Windhorst doesn't have his facts straight. I want to see some quotes from major players.

I don't know who's telling the truth here, but I will say this: there's a reason why LA Kings fans used to refer to Leiweke as "Lie-weekly."
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics

Post#6 » by Cactus Jack » Mon May 21, 2018 10:37 pm

MartinToVaught wrote:

I don't know who's telling the truth here, but I will say this: there's a reason why LA Kings fans used to refer to Leiweke as "Lie-weekly."

"I don't believe the arena deal Seattle settled on was adequate for the NBA and until they have that, it's a non-starter," wrote Brian Windhorst.

It's just his opinion. When in fact, the opposite is true. Leiweke as part of the agreement with the city, had to get approval from both leagues.

Meanwhile, In September the NHL is going to grant Seattle a formal expansion team. Just as the final stamp of approval for the new arena is given.

Leiweke has been on record numerous times, to say that the group's plan is for the NHL to arrive first (Fall of 2020). Followed by the NBA at some point. However, he has given no timeline for the NBA's arrival. Instead, he has speculated that it could take possibly 3-5 years. Maybe more. The most logical is expansion. But, according to him relocation is not off the table.

Return to Wiretap Discussion