Woj: Wolves Would Choose Karl-Anthony Towns Over Tom Thibodeau

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 292

Woj: Wolves Would Choose Karl-Anthony Towns Over Tom Thibodeau 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Wed May 23, 2018 1:45 pm

If the situation between Karl-Anthony Towns and Tom Thibodeau reaches a point of no-return, Adrian Wojnarowski believes ownership would side with Towns.

“I think their owner would trade management/the coach before he would trade Karl-Anthony Towns,” Wojnarowski said on The Russillo Show. “I don’t think they would allow that. I just don’t believe they’d allow that kind of decision. And I don’t know that they’d want to trade him. To answer this first, Minnesota’s bigger issue is not…he’s Karl-Anthony Towns, they’re not moving him, Towns is eligible for his extension this summer. You know Jimmy Butler…it’s more of a question of Andrew Wiggins. That to me would be, if someone was going to get moved — and I’m not saying anyone’s going to get moved — I think Andrew Wiggins is the one you’re going to look at first. Because…you don’t have to make a decision on Towns and Jimmy Butler and one of those guys having to take less on an extension, because you can’t have three [max] guys.”

Via Adrian Wojnarowski (via Uproxx)

MaxRider
RealGM
And1: 5,805

Re: Woj: Wolves Would Choose Karl-Anthony Towns Over Tom Thibodeau 

Post#2 » by MaxRider » Wed May 23, 2018 2:41 pm

of course you pick the player
fans go to the game to watch stars play not coach
Sam195
Analyst
And1: 310

Post#3 » by Sam195 » Wed May 23, 2018 2:49 pm

MaxRider wrote:of course you pick the player

tell that to the chicago bulls
danfantastk32
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,637

Post#4 » by danfantastk32 » Wed May 23, 2018 4:28 pm

I'd prob fire Tibs...issues with Towns or not.

Sorry, I think he's a vastly overrated coach. That 2008 Celtics were just a great team with several all-time great players on it, and some good pieces. Both Doc and Tibs have gone on to do nadda with other teams.
gordoncatrell
Sixth Man
And1: 178

Post#5 » by gordoncatrell » Wed May 23, 2018 4:49 pm

Toldja months ago it was kat v thibball.
alienpick
Starter
And1: 619

Post#6 » by alienpick » Wed May 23, 2018 4:52 pm

Fans also want to see their team winning. A winning team always brings in more ticket sales. Your coach plays a big part in a winning team.

Look at the Warriors and how many people became Warriors fans once they started winning.
davidavydave
Sophomore
And1: 32

Post#7 » by davidavydave » Wed May 23, 2018 5:28 pm

danfantastk32 wrote:I'd prob fire Tibs...issues with Towns or not.

Sorry, I think he's a vastly overrated coach. That 2008 Celtics were just a great team with several all-time great players on it, and some good pieces. Both Doc and Tibs have gone on to do nadda with other teams.

Please do not overlook his tenure in Chicago. Not his fault DRose got injured the following year of his MVP season. The Bulls had by far the best defense and were well on their way to competing for a championship. He got unlucky, and then ultimately was screwed since their franchise player esssentially disappeared. Can't place ANY blame on the coach for that.

But having said all that, I actually do think that he's somewhat overrated b/c of the fact that he plays his players until they're about to die. It takes a toll on their bodies towards the end of the season. But he's not VASTLY overrated. Come on man haha. He's like the Wade Phillips of the NBA. An incredible defensive mind.
gordoncatrell
Sixth Man
And1: 178

Post#8 » by gordoncatrell » Wed May 23, 2018 5:33 pm

davidavydave wrote:

Please do not overlook his tenure in Chicago. Not his fault DRose got injured the following year of his MVP season. The Bulls had by far the best defense and were well on their way to competing for a championship. He got unlucky, and then ultimately was screwed since their franchise player esssentially disappeared. Can't place ANY blame on the coach for that.

But having said all that, I actually do think that he's somewhat overrated b/c of the fact that he plays his players until they're about to die. It takes a toll on their bodies towards the end of the season. But he's not VASTLY overrated. Come on man haha. He's like the Wade Phillips of the NBA. An incredible defensive mind.

the league has advanced beyond THIBS. he's outdated.
agreed. his CHI stint was superb.
the league has evolved considerably since 2014.
davidavydave
Sophomore

Post#9 » by davidavydave » Wed May 23, 2018 5:43 pm

gordoncatrell wrote:
davidavydave wrote:

the league has advanced beyond THIBS. he's outdated.
agreed. his CHI stint was superb.
the league has evolved considerably since 2014.

Yup. And just like Wade Phillips is with the Rams, I think Thibs would make a great assistant coach to a team that needs a defensive identity. He can still be a good head coach, but maybe not in the elite status because of how much the league has changed.
macNcheese3
RealGM
And1: 6,915

Post#10 » by macNcheese3 » Wed May 23, 2018 5:49 pm

who wouldn't take KAT over Thibs? Thibs is a career breaker.
macNcheese3
RealGM
And1: 6,915

Post#11 » by macNcheese3 » Wed May 23, 2018 5:50 pm

who wouldn't take KAT over Thibs? Thibs is a career breaker.
ChokeFasncists
RealGM
And1: 1,501

Post#12 » by ChokeFasncists » Wed May 23, 2018 7:51 pm

At the time, his defensive strategies were genius and worked wonders. The league has caught up since. Doc is a different story.
MorbidHEAT wrote:My dislike for Lin started during Linsanity. It was absurd. It's probably irrational dislike at this point, but man he gets on my nerves. He's been tearing us up though.
Thanks for the honesty.
GaaBaaBoo
Senior
And1: 50

Post#13 » by GaaBaaBoo » Wed May 23, 2018 8:01 pm

They sure? There is only one Thibs in the world.
MitchB3
Starter
And1: 144

Post#14 » by MitchB3 » Wed May 23, 2018 8:36 pm

If I'm the T-Wolves owner I would try and see if I can make both sides come to an agreement and then try to trade away Wiggins.
davidavydave
Sophomore

Post#15 » by davidavydave » Wed May 23, 2018 9:19 pm

macNcheese3 wrote:who wouldn't take KAT over Thibs? Thibs is a career breaker.

I would like to see some examples.
Whose career has he broken? D Rose? Dude got injured over and over....obviously not the coach's fault.

He made Jimmy Butler who he is today. Went from a defensive role player to an allstar.
He made Joakim Noah an MVP candidate. JOAKIM NOAH.
He made Taj Gibson a great defensive player.
(the last two are PRIME examples as to why Thibs was an EXCELLENT coach in Chicago)

Not to mention, all those guys credit their improvement over the years to playing for Thibs.

So, please, enlighten me with some players whose careers were ruined due to Thibs.

The only thing i can think of that would support your argument is that he plays his starters a TON of minutes. This makes them more susceptible to injuries/fatigue. However, his practices are notorious for training and conditioning, to lessen the risk of injury and fatigue. And even with all of that.....no one's career took a hit because of him. Players WANT to play for him (with the exception of KAT as of yesterday, lol, but that's all hearsay anyway).
The_Hater
GHOAT (Greatest Hater Of All Time)
And1: 40,048

Post#16 » by The_Hater » Thu May 24, 2018 2:57 am

That’s only part of the reason. Superstars win championships, not coaches. Towns has the chance to be a superstar.
AthensBucks wrote:Lowry is done.
Nurse is below average at best.
Masai is overrated.
I dont get how so many people believe in the raptors,they have zero to chance to win it all.

April 14th, 2019.
The_Hater
GHOAT (Greatest Hater Of All Time)
And1: 40,048

Post#17 » by The_Hater » Thu May 24, 2018 2:58 am

macNcheese3 wrote:who wouldn't take KAT over Thibs? Thibs is a career breaker.

He’s far from a career breaker, he’s had tons of players grossly overachieve under him. But you still pick Towns 10/10 times.
AthensBucks wrote:Lowry is done.
Nurse is below average at best.
Masai is overrated.
I dont get how so many people believe in the raptors,they have zero to chance to win it all.

April 14th, 2019.
meekrab
RealGM
And1: 8,927

Post#18 » by meekrab » Thu May 24, 2018 4:17 am

Good luck moving Wiggins on that contract.
Sam195
Analyst
And1: 310

Post#19 » by Sam195 » Thu May 24, 2018 11:22 am

meekrab wrote:Good luck moving Wiggins on that contract.

Raptors would acquire him in a heart beat especially if they could dump Derozan's contract the other way. Lowry and Ibaka are also drastically overpaid but Masai wisely locked them into short term contracts that could actually be easier to move each only have two years left and unlike Ryan Andersen and Melo aren't drastically unproductive relative to their pay grade
Psubs
RealGM
And1: 10,633

Post#20 » by Psubs » Thu May 24, 2018 2:10 pm

meekrab wrote:Good luck moving Wiggins on that contract.

Toronto would trade Powell and Ibaka for Wiggins.

Return to Wiretap Discussion