Kyrie Irving Skipped Game 7 While Recovering From Nasal Surgery

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 292

Kyrie Irving Skipped Game 7 While Recovering From Nasal Surgery 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Mon May 28, 2018 11:13 pm

Kyrie Irving did not attend the Boston Celtics' Game 7 loss to the Cleveland Cavaliers as he was recovering from nasal surgery.

"Kyrie had a deviated septum, had some surgery on that, and so I don't think he wanted to be seen," said Ainge, who turned playful while noting, "He's a really good-looking guy. He can't ruin his movie career."

Irving's agent, Jeff Wechsler, told ESPN's Jackie MacMullan that he wanted to attend the game but couldn't fly because of the surgery.

"It was a residual from the facial fracture he had earlier in the season," Wechsler said, referring to the injury Irving suffered in November. "He had the knee surgery, and now he's taken care of this sinus surgery, so he will be all set going forward."

Irving was ruled out for the season with knee surgery in April.

Via Chris Forsberg/ESPN

blind prophet
RealGM
And1: 3,236

Re: Kyrie Irving Skipped Game 7 While Recovering From Nasal Surgery 

Post#2 » by blind prophet » Tue May 29, 2018 12:17 am

Something stinks about this story.
ChokeFasncists
RealGM
And1: 1,501

Post#3 » by ChokeFasncists » Tue May 29, 2018 12:58 am

Didn't want to congratulate his daddy?
MorbidHEAT wrote:My dislike for Lin started during Linsanity. It was absurd. It's probably irrational dislike at this point, but man he gets on my nerves. He's been tearing us up though.
Thanks for the honesty.
Knick4Real
General Manager
And1: 7,422

Post#4 » by Knick4Real » Tue May 29, 2018 2:56 am

blind prophet wrote:Something stinks about this story.

Something definitely stinks about this story.

I had a deviated septum all my life since childhood and finally got it fixed as an adult. People live with it and never get it fixed. Or, in other words, it's a procedure he EASILY could have postponed until summer.

To choose to have an unnecessary surgery instead of play in the deciding Game 7 of your conference finals is real suspect. Something's not right.
Nutty Nats Fan
General Manager
And1: 4,947

Post#5 » by Nutty Nats Fan » Tue May 29, 2018 3:23 am

Knick4Real wrote:

I had a deviated septum all my life since childhood and finally got it fixed as an adult. People live with it and never get it fixed. Or, in other words, it's a procedure he EASILY could have postponed until summer.

To choose to have an unnecessary surgery instead of play in the deciding Game 7 of your conference finals is real suspect. Something's not right.

Did you miss this part of the story? -> "It was a residual from the facial fracture he had earlier in the season,"

So already different than your situation and you don't know the full details. So you can't make any claims about how it could have waited or not.
RonaldArtest
General Manager
And1: 12,531

Post#6 » by RonaldArtest » Tue May 29, 2018 3:24 am

Knick4Real wrote:

Well if he's recovering from knee surgery, he can't play either way.
Tim Reynolds
Senior
And1: 970

Post#7 » by Tim Reynolds » Tue May 29, 2018 3:46 am

Knick4Real wrote:

If you're already not playing, getting any surgery you have planned done ASAP is better because you have more recovery time before next season.
ATTL wrote:Honestly you people laugh at toilet paper hoarders, but you really dont have enough toilet paper yourselves. The average person uses 1 roll per day. If you have a family of 4, that's 28 rolls a week. Over 100 a month.
Clay Davis
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,691

Post#8 » by Clay Davis » Tue May 29, 2018 4:06 am

Knick4Real wrote:

:crazy:
Steelo Green wrote:People are expecting way too much from Barnes out of the get go. He is a project player who will need 2-3 years before he makes a major impact.
tigerae
Rookie
And1: 233

Post#9 » by tigerae » Tue May 29, 2018 9:25 am

He was just fine throughout the playoffs without the surgery, at least based on how he looked on the bench, cheering and all.

If you're the leader of the team, you don't miss a critical game 7 for a surgery that could have been done either earlier (round one for example) or postponed for another week or two, depending on if they moved on.

Based on how Ainge sounded and how Kyrie was acting on the bench during the playoffs, it didn't seem like it was something that was really bothering him and needed to be taken care of at the time it was done.
Donnyxc
Starter
And1: 247

Post#10 » by Donnyxc » Tue May 29, 2018 1:26 pm

This is a whole lot of nothing.

Also (not to be obvious) but a reporter asked Terry about starting next year, and he responded on Kyrie "He's our starter. He's our starting point guard." so the respect is there.
"If I had to choose a player to take a shot to save a game I'd choose Michael Jordan; If I had to choose a player to take a shot to save my life...I'd take Larry Bird." - Pat Riley
KamikazeK
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,655

Post#11 » by KamikazeK » Tue May 29, 2018 1:32 pm

Knick4Real wrote:

lol, what? Playing in the game was never an option. That's not what he missed. He missed showing up at the game to cheer for the guys. He was never going to play in the game.
Chris3323
Pro Prospect
And1: 49

Post#12 » by Chris3323 » Tue May 29, 2018 6:03 pm

KamikazeK wrote:
Knick4Real wrote:

lol, what? Playing in the game was never an option. That's not what he missed. He missed showing up at the game to cheer for the guys. He was never going to play in the game.

Kyrie was on the bench for the entire playoffs except Game 7
KamikazeK
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,655

Post#13 » by KamikazeK » Tue May 29, 2018 6:48 pm

Chris3323 wrote:
KamikazeK wrote:
Knick4Real wrote:

Kyrie was on the bench for the entire playoffs except Game 7

What's that got to do with anything I said?
ChokeFasncists
RealGM
And1: 1,501

Post#14 » by ChokeFasncists » Tue May 29, 2018 9:49 pm

If the Celts win, it hurts cuz they don't need him.

If the Cavs win, it hurts cuz they don't need him.

Opted for surgery to escape, don't wanna see daddy.
MorbidHEAT wrote:My dislike for Lin started during Linsanity. It was absurd. It's probably irrational dislike at this point, but man he gets on my nerves. He's been tearing us up though.
Thanks for the honesty.

Return to Wiretap Discussion