J.R. Smith Claims He Knew Score Was Tied

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

J.R. Smith Claims He Knew Score Was Tied 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Fri Jun 1, 2018 1:44 pm

J.R. Smith claimed he thought the Cleveland Cavaliers were going to call timeout after he grabbed an offensive rebound off a missed free throw by George Hill in the closing seconds of the fourth quarter.

"It was a tie ballgame and we had a timeout," Smith said. "I tried to get enough space because, obviously, KD [Kevin Durant] was standing right there. I tried to get enough space to bring it out to maybe get a shot off. And then I looked over at Bron [LeBron James] and he looked like he was trying to call a timeout. So I stopped. And then the game was over."

After time expired, Smith, with his shoulders shrugged, appeared to tell James, "I thought we were ahead" in a video replay shown during the ABC broadcast of the game. 

"No, I knew we were tied," Smith said. "It's just I thought we were going to take a timeout because I got the rebound. I'm pretty sure everybody didn't think I was going to shoot it over KD right there. ... I mean, I saw KD standing right next to me. He already had, what, four blocks? So I wasn't trying to be the fifth."

Via Dave McMenamin/ESPN

GaaBaaBoo
Senior
And1: 50

Re: J.R. Smith Claims He Knew Score Was Tied 

Post#2 » by GaaBaaBoo » Fri Jun 1, 2018 2:22 pm

So why didn't anyone call a timeout
ontnut
RealGM
And1: 8,038

Post#3 » by ontnut » Fri Jun 1, 2018 2:30 pm

JR gonna JR.
ontnut
RealGM

Post#4 » by ontnut » Fri Jun 1, 2018 2:32 pm

GaaBaaBoo wrote:So why didn't anyone call a timeout

Because they clearly didn't want to call a timeout? You get the offensive board with seconds left, just put up the shot!
Donnyxc
Starter
And1: 247

Post#5 » by Donnyxc » Fri Jun 1, 2018 2:40 pm

ontnut wrote:

Because they clearly didn't want to call a timeout? You get the offensive board with seconds left, just put up the shot!

True. He beat KD to the ball, should have just tried one on him in the paint.
"If I had to choose a player to take a shot to save a game I'd choose Michael Jordan; If I had to choose a player to take a shot to save my life...I'd take Larry Bird." - Pat Riley
dice
RealGM
And1: 12,544

Post#6 » by dice » Fri Jun 1, 2018 2:44 pm

nice try j.r. not-so-smooth
the donald, always unpopular, did worse in EVERY state in 2020. and by a greater margin in red states! 50 independently-run elections, none of them rigged
ontnut
RealGM

Post#7 » by ontnut » Fri Jun 1, 2018 3:28 pm

Donnyxc wrote:
ontnut wrote:

True. He beat KD to the ball, should have just tried one on him in the paint.

Also, if JR really thought that someone was going to call a timeout, why didn't he call it when he brought the ball out of the paint? Makes no sense.
NoZoLakers
General Manager
And1: 3,358

Post#8 » by NoZoLakers » Fri Jun 1, 2018 3:36 pm

team full of idiots
mplsfonz23
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,310

Post#9 » by mplsfonz23 » Fri Jun 1, 2018 3:47 pm

Idiot.
If he thinks people are going to believe that then he should sell waterfront land on the moon.

He didn't want to get his shot blocked? What was there to lose? All I can say is......Idiot.
hyberx
Starter
And1: 384

Post#10 » by hyberx » Fri Jun 1, 2018 3:51 pm

JR might have a point. When he got the rebound he was between KD and Draymond, yeah he could try and get blocked. After he got out, LeBron was the one who first pointed at Hill, that's why JR passed to Hill. After JR passed the ball LeBron motioned for timeout instead, then blamed it all on JR. :lol: Coaching staff could call the time-out too, it's a mess all over and somebody other than LeBron gets the blame, typical LBJ style.
commentatorer
Sixth Man
And1: 815

Post#11 » by commentatorer » Fri Jun 1, 2018 3:54 pm

Nothing wrong with being an idiot, almost everyone I've ever met is an idiot.
davidavydave
Sophomore
And1: 32

Post#12 » by davidavydave » Fri Jun 1, 2018 4:09 pm

As if Lebron wasn't going to leave Cleveland already, this just put the nail on that coffin. I'm sure Lebron CANNOT WAIT to get tf out of Cleveland now. His heart can't take any of this anymore. Whether it's bad luck or not, this team can't seem to catch a break. Lebron scored 50 in game 1 of the Finals, and STILL lost. Looks like it'll be Boston vs Philly in the East for the foreseeable future. The Cavs will return to their former self of being a mediocre/bad team with no allstar and a terrible front office.

The next couple of games at Quicken Arena better be the most pumped up, raucous crowd of all time. Since it will literally be the last couple of times that Lebron will be playing for them. The way that the Staples Center was out of this world electric during Kobe's last game, I better see that from Cleveland.

I wonder how many people are going to burn his jersey a 2nd time.
delsol650
Sixth Man
And1: 61

Post#13 » by delsol650 » Fri Jun 1, 2018 4:18 pm

LOL JR has always been dumb as a rock when it came to basketball smarts. :lol:

People saying Lebron leaving, LOL I would be mad if I was a cavs fan, Lebron ensured he got TT, JR and other paid with those big contracts and players jettisoned when he didn't like them. He's the player, Coach and GM. He architected this team, the team loses he leaves cause he's not happy he's not getting help :crazy: He was the one that wanted these players paid with these massive contracts that other teams won't pay. He then leaves and your team is left with a Salary purgatory.. Ya'll should burn his jersey a 2nd time. :lol:
JunkYardDog6ix
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,378

Post#14 » by JunkYardDog6ix » Fri Jun 1, 2018 4:44 pm

delsol650 wrote:LOL JR has always been dumb as a rock when it came to basketball smarts. :lol:

People saying Lebron leaving, LOL I would be mad if I was a cavs fan, Lebron ensured he got TT, JR and other paid with those big contracts and players jettisoned when he didn't like them. He's the player, Coach and GM. He architected this team, the team loses he leaves cause he's not happy he's not getting help :crazy: He was the one that wanted these players paid with these massive contracts that other teams won't pay. He then leaves and your team is left with a Salary purgatory.. Ya'll should burn his jersey a 2nd time. :lol:

Nah you wouldn't be mad you just salty
pjiggz
Junior
And1: 25

Post#15 » by pjiggz » Fri Jun 1, 2018 4:47 pm

lets see if we can find JRs burner account in this thread...........
tiderulz
RealGM
And1: 14,110

Post#16 » by tiderulz » Fri Jun 1, 2018 6:40 pm

I bet he knew the world is flat too
UCFJayBird
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 3,418

Post#17 » by UCFJayBird » Fri Jun 1, 2018 7:13 pm

I'd almost believe him if we didn't clearly have tape of him saying " I thought we were ahead".

Because it's not uncommon for teams to say "if he misses and we grab the rebound, don't call a timeout immediately, try and find an open shot." But what happened is JR grabbed the board, sprinted out and ignored wide open Lebron and then once he realized what was happening tried to pass the ball the other way when he should've called a timeout.

So IF he hadn't said that out loud he might've had an argument. But he did, so he doesn't, lol. He clearly thought they were ahead and tried to dribble it out. And then once he saw Lebron freaking out didn't know the timeout situation (or didn't consider calling one) and just passed it off because he didn't have a shot.

JR has always been a bonehead, but this one was pretty special IMO.
ChokeFasncists
RealGM
And1: 1,501

Post#18 » by ChokeFasncists » Fri Jun 1, 2018 8:28 pm

Spin, spin, spin. Everyone knows what just happened.

Too bad Hill choked tho. He's not clutch at all, especially in away games.
MorbidHEAT wrote:My dislike for Lin started during Linsanity. It was absurd. It's probably irrational dislike at this point, but man he gets on my nerves. He's been tearing us up though.
Thanks for the honesty.
Cookin Baskets
Sixth Man
And1: 265

Post#19 » by Cookin Baskets » Sat Jun 2, 2018 12:48 am

Oh really, Jr Smith needs to either call for a timeout in that situation or shoot it give them a chance at least. An Idiot play by someone who is already known as a clown.
I don't think I Trust The Process anymore! :banghead:
We are the originals! We are the Philadelphia 76ers!
hyberx
Starter
And1: 384

Post#20 » by hyberx » Sat Jun 2, 2018 4:59 am

Oh yeah, whose idea was it to pay this bonehead JR a ton of money while there was no market for him? Hmmm.

Return to Wiretap Discussion