David Griffin: 76ers Have 'Leg Up' On LeBron James Due To Rich Paul Repping Ben Simmons

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 292

David Griffin: 76ers Have 'Leg Up' On LeBron James Due To Rich Paul Repping Ben Simmons 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Sun Jun 3, 2018 4:45 pm

David Griffin declined to comment on the Philadelphia 76ers' general manager position if it were to become available.

But Griffin did discuss the possibility of LeBron James going to the 76ers. James shares an agent with Ben Simmons in Rich Paul, which could give Philadelphia an edge. 

"I do think it's significant that Rich Paul is the representative for Ben Simmons as well, so he's going to know the org very well. That will certainly give them a leg up," Griffin said Sunday.

James can become a free agent this offseason but he has consistently declined comment on his situation.

Via Zach Gelb/CBS Sports

the_process
RealGM
And1: 8,703

Re: David Griffin: 76ers Have 'Leg Up' On LeBron James Due To Rich Paul Repping Ben Simmons 

Post#2 » by the_process » Sun Jun 3, 2018 5:30 pm

Confirmed: Griffin to replace BC as Sixers GM.

Works for me, even if Griffin isn’t the best he is competent. Which is a step or two up from BC.
76thBearCub
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,713

Re: David Griffin: 76ers Have 'Leg Up' On LeBron James Due To Rich Paul Repping Ben Simmons 

Post#3 » by 76thBearCub » Sun Jun 3, 2018 6:00 pm

This pleases me.
grindtime22
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,656

Post#4 » by grindtime22 » Sun Jun 3, 2018 6:29 pm

the_process wrote:Confirmed: Griffin to replace BC as Sixers GM.

Works for me, even if Griffin isn’t the best he is competent. Which is a step or two up from BC.

He does seem at least competent. I think it is very hard to judge Griffin due to the circumstances surrounding his GM reign in Cleveland. It wasn't like he had the chance to do a real rebuild or anything like that. He was immediately hit with Lebron, his control, and the need to win at all costs. I'm not saying having Lebron is a bad thing. I just think it is tough to even know who is pulling the strings at any given moment and who deserves the praise/blame.

With that said, he seems to have done a pretty good job. On the other hand, Colangelo has been pretty poor. His best moves so far were waiver wire pickups. He has been burning assets left and right. Assets that the 76ers went through a lot of pain to accumulate.
ChokeFasncists
RealGM
And1: 1,501

Post#5 » by ChokeFasncists » Sun Jun 3, 2018 7:56 pm

grindtime22 wrote:

He does seem at least competent. I think it is very hard to judge Griffin due to the circumstances surrounding his GM reign in Cleveland. It wasn't like he had the chance to do a real rebuild or anything like that. He was immediately hit with Lebron, his control, and the need to win at all costs. I'm not saying having Lebron is a bad thing. I just think it is tough to even know who is pulling the strings at any given moment and who deserves the praise/blame.

With that said, he seems to have done a pretty good job. On the other hand, Colangelo has been pretty poor. His best moves so far were waiver wire pickups. He has been burning assets left and right. Assets that the 76ers went through a lot of pain to accumulate.

If he can sign LBJ as a free agent, he'd be considered very competent. Do they have a very good relationship?

They'd just need Fultz and Simmons to be able to shoot.
MorbidHEAT wrote:My dislike for Lin started during Linsanity. It was absurd. It's probably irrational dislike at this point, but man he gets on my nerves. He's been tearing us up though.
Thanks for the honesty.
Ballerhogger
RealGM
And1: 16,798

Post#6 » by Ballerhogger » Sun Jun 3, 2018 8:25 pm

FIre Bc to get rich and Lebron and gives jobs to his crew
thamadkant
Suns Forum Picker of Cherries
And1: 7,771

Post#7 » by thamadkant » Sun Jun 3, 2018 9:14 pm

Ben Simmons about to be Lebron'd ... From superstar potential to just a good player.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,368

Post#8 » by bwgood77 » Sun Jun 3, 2018 10:41 pm

It's funny though....he's a Colangelo guy...they brought him up in Phx so it would be a funny replacement.
ChokeFasncists
RealGM

Post#9 » by ChokeFasncists » Sun Jun 3, 2018 10:49 pm

bwgood77 wrote:

It's funny though....he's a Colangelo guy...they brought him up in Phx so it would be a funny replacement.

Um.....Did Griffin set up BC? Is he really close to him (and his wife?) Does he go hang around in his home alot? Does he use his computer?
MorbidHEAT wrote:My dislike for Lin started during Linsanity. It was absurd. It's probably irrational dislike at this point, but man he gets on my nerves. He's been tearing us up though.
Thanks for the honesty.
ChokeFasncists
RealGM

Post#10 » by ChokeFasncists » Sun Jun 3, 2018 10:49 pm

thamadkant wrote:Ben Simmons about to be Lebron'd ... From superstar potential to just a good player.

Young enough, LBJ will be out of his prime in a few years.
Thanks for the honesty.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,368

Post#11 » by bwgood77 » Sun Jun 3, 2018 10:57 pm

ChokeFasncists wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:

Um.....Did Griffin set up BC? Is he really close to him (and his wife?) Does he go hang around in his home alot? Does he use his computer?

Probably good friends. They were both hired by Jerry in the early 90s and worked together in front office until 2006. Not sure about the rest.
DarthTeufel
Junior
And1: 641

Post#12 » by DarthTeufel » Sun Jun 3, 2018 11:00 pm

More like because they play in the East and have 2 HoF potential YOUNG superstars.
valrond1
Senior
And1: 513

Post#13 » by valrond1 » Mon Jun 4, 2018 12:00 am

Simmons and Lebron can't play on the same team. When Lebron is playing, what is Simmons going to do? Pick up the ball and pass it to Lebron and let the Sixers play with 4 on offense?. Simmons can't shoot, he can't stay on the 3 point line. He can drive to the basketball, but who is going to drive when Lebron is on the court?. It would be a very bad place to go to Lebron.
7thshield
Junior
And1: 293

Post#14 » by 7thshield » Mon Jun 4, 2018 12:02 am

thamadkant wrote:Ben Simmons about to be Lebron'd ... From superstar potential to just a good player.

Your basketball knowledge must be limited.
thamadkant
Suns Forum Picker of Cherries
And1: 7,771

Post#15 » by thamadkant » Mon Jun 4, 2018 12:07 am

7thshield wrote:

Still higher than yours I guarantee scrub
7thshield
Junior
And1: 293

Post#16 » by 7thshield » Mon Jun 4, 2018 1:14 am

thamadkant wrote:
7thshield wrote:

Still higher than yours I guarantee scrub

For sure buddy.
cheese318
Sixth Man
And1: 227

Post#17 » by cheese318 » Mon Jun 4, 2018 1:54 am

Was Kyrie just a good player? Good try though

Hoopzilla wrote:
Whether I was born or not when the Orlando Magic tried to form a Super Team means absolutely nothing to this conversation. One thing is pretty clear, you are the load your mother should have swallowed and moved on with her life... :nod:
inquisitive
RealGM
And1: 2,843

Post#18 » by inquisitive » Mon Jun 4, 2018 2:44 am

let's see what cp3 has to say.
KARD "You n Me " Mnet Countdown
www.youtube.com/watch?v=77b3zg3OhgI
the_process
RealGM
And1: 8,703

Post#19 » by the_process » Mon Jun 4, 2018 3:10 am

valrond1 wrote:Simmons and Lebron can't play on the same team. When Lebron is playing, what is Simmons going to do? Pick up the ball and pass it to Lebron and let the Sixers play with 4 on offense?. Simmons can't shoot, he can't stay on the 3 point line. He can drive to the basketball, but who is going to drive when Lebron is on the court?. It would be a very bad place to go to Lebron.

This idea that LeBron and Simmons, two high BBIQ guys, can’t figure out how to play together is laughable.
gordoncatrell
Sixth Man
And1: 178

Post#20 » by gordoncatrell » Mon Jun 4, 2018 4:25 am

mistake by PHI. spent decade tanking for high ceiling bluechippers. BronInc would want to FLIP high value Embiid for "winning parts" that FIT him.

not to mention the overlap w SIMMONS, which will stunt SIMMONS' growth.

LA(C). 1st
CLE. 2nd
PHI/HOU boogeymen.

Return to Wiretap Discussion