Kevin Durant Immediately Liked How Warriors Were Like Family Without Egos

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

Kevin Durant Immediately Liked How Warriors Were Like Family Without Egos 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Sun Jun 3, 2018 4:59 pm

When the Warriors met with Kevin Durant in the Hamptons in 2016, their entire contingent of Joe Lacob, Kirk Lacob, Bob Myers, Steve Kerr, Stephen Curry, Draymond Green, Klay Thompson and Andre Iguodala all arrived together in the same minibus.

"I knew all four (Warriors players) were coming," said Durant. "But you never know, a guy might get in some traveling troubles, airplane troubles, something might’ve come up. So I knew they were coming, but I wasn’t expecting it. … I was just like, whatever happens, I want to talk to at least a couple guys and to Bob and Steve.

"But when they all showed up, it was pretty cool. It was pretty cool from a basketball standpoint that they respected my game.

"Everybody was in the same car. Joe, Steve, Bob, Draymond, Klay, Steph, Andre, Kirk Lacob. I was like, man, this already looks like a family. I want to be a part of it. I was excited about that."

The Warriors initially talked about Durant's fit within their system before Durant went outside to talk with Curry, Green, Thompson and Iguodala.

"It just became, all right, enough of that," said Kerr. "Let’s get to the real reason why we’re here. I think Rich (Kleinman) asked Steph, why do you want Kevin next to you? You’re the man, why do you want this? And it just became direct. It was instant communication.

"And then after a period of time, those five just went outside on their own and I think that’s probably when the deal was sealed. They left all the riff-raff inside and got down to business."

Durant wanted to know why the Warriors wanted him despite coming off a 73-win season.

"My first question was, you all just came off of a championship the year before and lost in Game 7, why do you want me on the team?" asked Durant.

"And everybody looked at me like I was crazy. It was just like, why wouldn’t we? This would be super special. I’m like, I want to be part of something super, super special. It was just perfect. Everybody was just thinking the same way I was. Just no egos."

The Warriors beat the Thunder in a seven-game series just a few weeks earlier.

"This might sound like a deep answer, but I hope you get it," said Durant.

"At that time in my career, I didn’t know how other people felt about my game. And I knew that I was pretty damn good and I knew I worked extremely hard, but I needed that validation from my peers and teams and GMs, people that are really into the game, to really help me feel good about myself and help me feel confident and let me know that what I was doing was working.

"So when they all came, and they all put stuff to the side to come to the meeting, I was like, man, this is amazing. Best team in the league, some of the best players, most accomplished players want me on their team and want what I do, what I bring to the table. It was pretty cool, you know what I’m saying?

"Because I’m looking at this whole basketball thing from a kid’s perspective. I’m still excited, I’m still learning. So to have that much love in the room for how I play basketball, that’s cool. They’ll get to know me as a person, I was confident with that. But the basketball side, I was, like, man it’s pretty damn cool that people enjoy the way I play and want me to play with them."

Via Tim Kawakami/San Jose Mercury News

DROB27
Assistant Coach
And1: 5,119

Re: Kevin Durant Immediately Liked How Warriors Were Like Family Without Egos 

Post#2 » by DROB27 » Sun Jun 3, 2018 6:44 pm

I’m convinced he threw the series against the warriors

What a clown
Cookin Baskets
Sixth Man
And1: 265

Post#3 » by Cookin Baskets » Sun Jun 3, 2018 6:49 pm

Why now with this story seems a little bit late to me. 2 years or so lol.
I don't think I Trust The Process anymore! :banghead:
We are the originals! We are the Philadelphia 76ers!
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,203

Post#4 » by ThunderBolt » Sun Jun 3, 2018 7:00 pm

Don’t worry, Durant. You’re safe. You’re not the deep thinker that’s others have led you to believe you are.
bisme37 wrote:If there were magnets in basketballs so strong they changed the path of the ball as it flew through the air, wouldn't the ball then stick magnetically to the rim when it got there?
Psubs
RealGM
And1: 10,633

Post#5 » by Psubs » Sun Jun 3, 2018 7:07 pm

Who cares!

It would be a story if Durant knew before the OKC series vs GS or even during before being eliminated.
MaxRider
RealGM
And1: 5,805

Post#6 » by MaxRider » Sun Jun 3, 2018 7:25 pm

Just like Iguodala. He wanted to join the Warriors when they are facing each other in the playoff. This is no news.
MartinToVaught
RealGM
And1: 17,187

Post#7 » by MartinToVaught » Sun Jun 3, 2018 7:56 pm

Now I'm wondering if he lost the WCF on purpose so he'd have an excuse to join them. What a joke. :noway:
ChokeFasncists
RealGM
And1: 1,501

Post#8 » by ChokeFasncists » Sun Jun 3, 2018 7:57 pm

"They all arrived together in the same minibus. Everybody was in the same car. I was like, man, this already looks like a family. I want to be a part of it. I was excited about that."

His heart was beating fast at the prospect of joining a big rich polygamous family as the fourth wife.
MorbidHEAT wrote:My dislike for Lin started during Linsanity. It was absurd. It's probably irrational dislike at this point, but man he gets on my nerves. He's been tearing us up though.
Thanks for the honesty.
PizzaSteve
Veteran
And1: 1,837

Post#9 » by PizzaSteve » Sun Jun 3, 2018 8:00 pm

What shooting forward wouldnt want to play with the best shooting back court in history, that also is comfortable and eager to share the ball. Infinite space to do your thing and look good doing it. A no brainer, given his game.

Easy rings a bonus. Who among us doesnt want to work for the best company that will hire us. No one seeks the 2nd best so they have a bigger challenge and tougher job....that is sports hype. In team sports its best pay first, able to start and play yoir way second, and best winning team third, usually.

In this case all three. Smart, not cowardly.
Furinkazan
General Manager
And1: 3,534

Post#10 » by Furinkazan » Sun Jun 3, 2018 8:18 pm

enough with the cupcake and his sweet lil pink legacy
31to6
RealGM
And1: 27,997

Post#11 » by 31to6 » Sun Jun 3, 2018 10:57 pm

Knrstz wrote:

Don’t worry, Durant. You’re safe. You’re not the deep thinker that’s others have led you to believe you are.

:lol:
but he's letting you in on how insecure he is!
So insecure that he's secure about it!
HE DOESN'T CARE WHAT YOU THINK!
but his burner account does do the warriors think he's cool y/n omg I can't believe they liiiiike me
Paul Pierce appreciation society.
MartinToVaught
RealGM

Post#12 » by MartinToVaught » Sun Jun 3, 2018 11:05 pm

PizzaSteve wrote:What shooting forward wouldnt want to play with the best shooting back court in history, that also is comfortable and eager to share the ball.

A shooting forward who already has a stacked team around them, lost to that team in humiliating fashion, but has the self-confidence and competitive mentality to want to beat them instead of join them.

Easy rings a bonus. Who among us doesnt want to work for the best company that will hire us. No one seeks the 2nd best so they have a bigger challenge and tougher job....that is sports hype.

Durant's job is to entertain NBA fans around the world. He has made both the league and himself less entertaining by joining the Warriors. That is why his decision is worthy of criticism. Stop trying to compare pro sports to a normal job, it's just not an analogy that ever works.
tbdog
Junior
And1: 113

Post#13 » by tbdog » Sun Jun 3, 2018 11:48 pm

He knew well before. He was being recruited throughout the whole season, including when they were playing one another. It came out long ago. The NBA royally screwed things up. The sudden cap increase and tampering created this unbalance.
PizzaSteve
Veteran
And1: 1,837

Post#14 » by PizzaSteve » Mon Jun 4, 2018 1:00 am

MartinToVaught wrote:
PizzaSteve wrote:What shooting forward wouldnt want to play with the best shooting back court in history, that also is comfortable and eager to share the ball.

A shooting forward who already has a stacked team around them, lost to that team in humiliating fashion, but has the self-confidence and competitive mentality to want to beat them instead of join them.

Easy rings a bonus. Who among us doesnt want to work for the best company that will hire us. No one seeks the 2nd best so they have a bigger challenge and tougher job....that is sports hype.

Durant's job is to entertain NBA fans around the world. He has made both the league and himself less entertaining by joining the Warriors. That is why his decision is worthy of criticism. Stop trying to compare pro sports to a normal job, it's just not an analogy that ever works.

Your take is full of emotional words representing your feelings. I understand your disappointment, but it is inside you. To get peace about Durants decision you will need to be more mindfull about your own feelings of disappointment and accept them.
bakesale
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,776

Post#15 » by bakesale » Mon Jun 4, 2018 1:15 am

MartinToVaught wrote:

You have to also understand that he just didn't like OKC anymore. He didn't like Westbrook's playing style and he didn't like that no matter which coach they had had the balls to implement a real offensive system. When you are in your prime and already stuck doing the same old thing every year it gets boring. He wanted a fresh start, somewhere where he could expand his game.
He saw a team that plays the right way and thought I could learn to be a better basketball player if I play under Kerr.

And despite what you think his job isn't to entertain NBA fans. His job is to do his best to win basketball games. His spectacular scoring ability is the by product of his incredible talent, that is what entertains NBA fans.
Nobody cares whether some random individual MartinToVaught has a perceived narrative in his own head.
The NBA ratings are as good as ever, so you saying that it's less entertaining for the league is invalid. People still voted for him in the all star game and people are all watching the finals.

It's actually sad that you will seemingly never get over it. I genuinely feel sorry for you that 2 years later and you are still complaining about it.
31to6
RealGM
And1: 27,997

Post#16 » by 31to6 » Mon Jun 4, 2018 1:24 am

bakesale wrote:
MartinToVaught wrote:

You have to also understand that he just didn't like OKC anymore. He didn't like Westbrook's playing style and he didn't like that no matter which coach they had had the balls to implement a real offensive system.
He saw a team that plays the right way and thought I could learn to be a better basketball player if I play under Kerr.

And despite what you think his job isn't to entertain NBA fans. His job is to do his best to win basketball games. His spectacular scoring ability is the by product of his incredible talent, that is what entertains NBA fans.
Nobody cares whether some random individual MartinToVaught has a perceived narrative in his own head.
The NBA ratings are as good as ever, so you saying that it's less entertaining for the league is invalid. People still voted for him in the all star game and people are all watching the finals.

It's actually sad that you will seemingly never get over it. I genuinely feel sorry for you that 2 years later and you are still complaining about it.

Time going by doesn't make it any less of a bitch move. A lot of us think KD's a putz for making this decision, and always will. There's nothing to 'get over' if you have a sense of competition and honor.

But KD feels like he got 'his' ring and like LeBron 'passed the torch' to him last year because he finally hit a big shot -- great. Cool. Hey your teammates like you too! Putz.
Paul Pierce appreciation society.
MartinToVaught
RealGM

Post#17 » by MartinToVaught » Mon Jun 4, 2018 1:29 am

bakesale wrote:You have to also understand that he just didn't like OKC anymore. He didn't like Westbrook's playing style and he didn't like that no matter which coach had the balls to implement a real offensive system.

And yet he's still playing tons of isoball on the Warriors. This excuse is getting really old. You guys need to stop using Westbrook as an excuse for Durant's weak decision.

And despite what you think his job isn't to entertain NBA fans. His job is to do his best to win basketball games.

And the reason he gets paid millions to play basketball is because there's a fanbase to support it.

The NBA ratings are as good as ever, so you saying that it's less entertaining for the league is invalid.

NBA ratings are high just like Justin Bieber sells tons of records, Call of Duty games fly off the shelves, and formulaic superhero movies are all over the list of highest-grossing films. It doesn't mean they have a quality product right now.

Do you really think the ratings would be lower than they are now if there were a few legitimate title contenders in the league instead of just one?

There's nothing to "get over." Two years later, and Durant's move is still just as cowardly and anti-competitive as it was when he first announced it.
inquisitive
RealGM
And1: 2,844

Post#18 » by inquisitive » Mon Jun 4, 2018 2:27 am

MaxRider wrote:Just like Iguodala. He wanted to join the Warriors when they are facing each other in the playoff. This is no news.

i remember george karl saying that during the last moments before the denver nuggets were eliminated by warriors a few years ago, iggy walked up to some warrior player mentioning that he would like to join them during offseason free agency. thought it was weird.
KARD "You n Me " Mnet Countdown
www.youtube.com/watch?v=77b3zg3OhgI
bakesale
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,776

Post#19 » by bakesale » Mon Jun 4, 2018 2:44 am

MartinToVaught wrote:
bakesale wrote:You have to also understand that he just didn't like OKC anymore. He didn't like Westbrook's playing style and he didn't like that no matter which coach had the balls to implement a real offensive system.

And yet he's still playing tons of isoball on the Warriors. This excuse is getting really old. You guys need to stop using Westbrook as an excuse for Durant's weak decision.

And despite what you think his job isn't to entertain NBA fans. His job is to do his best to win basketball games.

And the reason he gets paid millions to play basketball is because there's a fanbase to support it.

The NBA ratings are as good as ever, so you saying that it's less entertaining for the league is invalid.

NBA ratings are high just like Justin Bieber sells tons of records, Call of Duty games fly off the shelves, and formulaic superhero movies are all over the list of highest-grossing films. It doesn't mean they have a quality product right now.

Do you really think the ratings would be lower than they are now if there were a few legitimate title contenders in the league instead of just one?

There's nothing to "get over." Two years later, and Durant's move is still just as cowardly and anti-competitive as it was when he first announced it.

Durant has changed his game. He definitely has passed more than he ever has before. His iso game is a habit that can't just change overnight. When you've spent your whole life playing a certain way you think it'll just take a year or 2 to change all those habits? That kind of thing takes time.

He gets paid millions because that's what his value is to the team. Teams understand that what he does is conducive to winning games and is spectacular to watch. NBA fans want to watch him play. Saying that he just has to entertain you is some self entitlement BS that you gotta get out of your head. It's dumb and selfish.

Comparing the NBA to movies or pop stars is even more stupid. Sport isn't the same. People liking Justin Bieber or Avatar is subjective and marketing gimmicks. With the NBA you absolutely have to be good at your craft to be there. There's no gimmicks, you actually have to be really good. You can't fake it with fancy special effects or get by with good looks, you actually have to be great at what you do. With the way competition is it forces the cream to rise to the top. You have to play well, you have to out smart you your opponent, you have to play basketball to win. The quality of the Warrior offence (not just talent) is the stuff of nightmares for Gregg Poppovich as he's been quoted as saying so. That's a tremendous endorsement for a quality product.

There is something for you to get over. You didn't like what happened and you are still not over it. It doesn't get any more simple then that. If you don't understand how that's not something that you need to get over then that's on you.
MartinToVaught
RealGM

Post#20 » by MartinToVaught » Mon Jun 4, 2018 2:51 am

bakesale wrote:Durant has changed his game. He definitely has passed more than he ever has before. His iso game is a habit that can't just change overnight. When you've spent your whole life playing a certain way you think it'll just take a year or 2 to change all those habits? That kind of thing takes time.

Durant only put effort into changing his game last year. This year? He's regressed all the way back to old habits and he's not even trying to change them:

In the entirety of last year’s playoffs, Durant had 37 isolation possessions, via Synergy Sports.

In the first two rounds of this year’s playoffs, Durant had 44. For the postseason as a whole, he has… wait for it… 128.

Durant is averaging roughly as many passes per touch in the playoffs (.549) as Klay Thompson (.527), and significantly fewer than Steph Curry (.660). That makes sense on a basic level given Curry brings the ball up and Draymond Green (most passes, 0.85 passes per touch) is the trigger man, but it still seems odd that Durant isn’t creating as part of the system. He’s just absorbing possessions.

https://www.actionnetwork.com/nba/article/strange-vibes-kevin-durant-warriors

Truth is, he likes isoball. That's why he defended it publicly to the media back in his OKC days:

"When you have iso players and guys who can score as many points as Russ and me, you've got to live playing some iso ball," Durant said on Monday night following the Thunder's 100-99 victory over the Los Angeles Clippers at Staples Center. "What do you want? Just pass the ball around and around and not be aggressive? If they're looking at me and Russ is open, he gets the ball. But if I've got it, I'm going to work. Iso. It's pick your poison."

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/kevin-durant-defends-okcs-iso-ball-if-ive-got-it-im-going-to-work/

Again, blaming Westbrook and using the "system" excuse is a joke. If Durant loved playing in a ball movement system so much, he wouldn't be running isolations for himself all the time instead of playing within the Warriors' offense. Truth is, he still wants his stats. He just also wants rings without the pressure of having to actually compete and earn them.

Return to Wiretap Discussion