Mychal Thompson Suggests Klay Thompson Won't Sign New Deal Until 2019

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

Mychal Thompson Suggests Klay Thompson Won't Sign New Deal Until 2019 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Tue Jun 5, 2018 2:53 pm

Klay Thompson's father, Mychal Thompson, suggested he doesn't expect his son to resolve his future until 2019.

There had been reports that Thompson could sign an extension with the Warriors this offseason at a massive discount.

"Klay definitely wants to play his whole career in Golden State and the Bay Area -- there's no question about that," Mychal Thompson explained. "He loves it up there ... loves the fans.

"But let's just say that negotiations will probably continue in the summer of '19."

Via Damon Bruce/95.7 The Game (via Drew Shiller/NBC Bay Area)

gordoncatrell
Sixth Man
And1: 178

Re: Mychal Thompson Suggests Klay Thompson Won't Sign New Deal Until 2019 

Post#2 » by gordoncatrell » Tue Jun 5, 2018 6:18 pm

MT is a shrewd tactician. KLAY deserves to earn as much as he can get on the table. 19 windfall.
ChokeFasncists
RealGM
And1: 1,501

Post#3 » by ChokeFasncists » Tue Jun 5, 2018 6:53 pm

The extension being so much lower than the FA deal so ridiculous. He definitely shouldn't do it.
MorbidHEAT wrote:My dislike for Lin started during Linsanity. It was absurd. It's probably irrational dislike at this point, but man he gets on my nerves. He's been tearing us up though.
Thanks for the honesty.
BBallchallenged
Junior
And1: 341

Post#4 » by BBallchallenged » Tue Jun 5, 2018 11:07 pm

gordoncatrell wrote:MT is a shrewd tactician. KLAY deserves to earn as much as he can get on the table. 19 windfall.

Klay is going to get more endorsement money playing on a championship team than playing on a non-post season team.
Sam195
Analyst
And1: 310

Post#5 » by Sam195 » Wed Jun 6, 2018 1:07 am

BBallchallenged wrote:
gordoncatrell wrote:MT is a shrewd tactician. KLAY deserves to earn as much as he can get on the table. 19 windfall.

Klay is going to get more endorsement money playing on a championship team than playing on a non-post season team.

What you smoking bruh? I'd love to get a hit. Third wheels don't make anything close to the endorsements of 1As and 1Bs. Just ask Chris Bosh and Kevin Love. Klay signed a 10 year $80M dollar shoe deal with Anta last summer aside from that his endorsement portfolio is very weak playing in the shadows of Curry and KD who are repping UA and Nike then doing commercials for state farm, apple, sprint and gatorade to name a few brands. Klay in hindsight should take a discount since his camp initially were pushing for a 5 year 90M extension on his last contract and ended up settling for 4 years 70M. I think Warriors regret not locking him up to the longer extension without an opt out then again they didn't expect he'd keep getting better back then. I think Klay's dad doesn't like his son taking a ridiculous discount like 5 years 121M when 2nd tier stars like Kyle Lowry and Paul Millsap are signing 3 year 100M contracts. Also Klay's negotiating leverage improves if he gets supermax eligibility by the 2019 summer so the middle ground between his max and a warriors desired discount is at a higher range. However, the extension likely gets signed there is no chance Warriors let him become a ufa where overtures from other teams could change his mind in free agency.

Return to Wiretap Discussion