Some Front Office Members Encouraged Bryan Colangelo To Consider Passing On Markelle Fultz

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

Some Front Office Members Encouraged Bryan Colangelo To Consider Passing On Markelle Fultz 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Fri Jun 8, 2018 7:22 pm

Markelle Fultz reportedly struggled in his workout with the Philadelphia 76ers last June, which league sources say caused some members of the front office to take a second look at drafting Jayson Tatum or Lonzo Ball. The 76ers were in the process of finalizing their trade with the Boston Celtics for the No. 3 overall pick, but Fultz struggled badly with his jumper during the workout.

Fultz's struggles during his workout with his shot were a precursor to the issues he struggled with throughout what was effectively a lost rookie season.

The idea of reconsidering Tatum or Ball was shot down by Colangelo, according to sources.

The 76ers were convinced they wanted to draft Fultz.

Via Kevin O'Connor/The Ringer

TdotRap4Lyfe
General Manager
And1: 5,079

Re: Some Front Office Members Encouraged Bryan Colangelo To Consider Passing On Markelle Fultz 

Post#2 » by TdotRap4Lyfe » Fri Jun 8, 2018 7:26 pm

When Colangelo has his target player little can stop him (2006- Bargnani; Aldridge was likely the better choice).
Credits to Jstock12
gordoncatrell
Sixth Man
And1: 178

Re: Some Front Office Members Encouraged Bryan Colangelo To Consider Passing On Markelle Fultz 

Post#3 » by gordoncatrell » Fri Jun 8, 2018 7:36 pm

wow...it's an avalanche. havent seen a FO takedown this quick and coordinated ever before...
macNcheese3
RealGM
And1: 6,915

Post#4 » by macNcheese3 » Fri Jun 8, 2018 7:40 pm

I would have taken Tatum any day. Fultz was said to be the number 1 choice
ChokeFasncists
RealGM
And1: 1,501

Post#5 » by ChokeFasncists » Fri Jun 8, 2018 7:43 pm

Smart Ainge.
MorbidHEAT wrote:My dislike for Lin started during Linsanity. It was absurd. It's probably irrational dislike at this point, but man he gets on my nerves. He's been tearing us up though.
Thanks for the honesty.
dan-man
Sixth Man
And1: 364

Post#6 » by dan-man » Fri Jun 8, 2018 8:26 pm

I wonder if they encouraged him to berate Fultz from his burner twitter accounts as well... :banghead:
LloydFree
RealGM
And1: 11,568
Location: Somewhere near the Jersey Turnpike, between exit 4 and 15E

Post#7 » by LloydFree » Fri Jun 8, 2018 8:58 pm

Please stop. You're killing me.
Fischella wrote:I think none of you guys that are pro-Embiid no how basketball works today.. is way easier to win it all with Omer Asik than Olajuwon.
Actually if you ask me which Center I want for my perfect championship caliber team, I will chose Asik hands down
the_process
RealGM
And1: 8,720

Post#8 » by the_process » Fri Jun 8, 2018 8:59 pm

It’s good to know Eversley and Cohen are trying to distance themselves from BC as they try to keep their jobs :lol:
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,457

Post#9 » by bwgood77 » Fri Jun 8, 2018 9:26 pm

The hits just keep on coming.
alienchild
RealGM
And1: 17,155

Post#10 » by alienchild » Fri Jun 8, 2018 9:27 pm

They'll trade him asap. They don't want any reminders of BC for their fanbase. FWIW, alway's thought Fultz was nothing more than a hype job.
Everybody is losing their freaking minds. Nutbars and wingnuts have infested this forum. We've become a public lavatory without cleaning staff.
JR Hawks
Starter
And1: 892

Post#11 » by JR Hawks » Fri Jun 8, 2018 10:21 pm

This franchise is a mess.
shakes0
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,960

Post#12 » by shakes0 » Fri Jun 8, 2018 10:47 pm

I'm withholding comment on this until I see what Colangelo's wife has to say about it.
johanliebert
General Manager
And1: 5,665

Post#13 » by johanliebert » Fri Jun 8, 2018 10:57 pm

here go the smear campaigns. before word of his burner account front offices have leaked info.
the_process
RealGM
And1: 8,720

Post#14 » by the_process » Fri Jun 8, 2018 11:03 pm

JR Hawks wrote:This franchise is a mess.

Meh. Somewhat, but once the remnants of the league takeover are purged it should get better. Nosferatu really did a number on the front office. Speaks volumes to Brett and The Process that they went from 28 to 52 wins despite all that.
Pickled Prunes
General Manager
And1: 1,212

Post#15 » by Pickled Prunes » Fri Jun 8, 2018 11:39 pm

Of course they did. There was no clear #1. I'm sure all kinds of discussions took place. But this is revisionist history and it will be a number of years before we know how this plays out. Besides, it's the same pick most of us would have made and I could argue that Ball's fit next to Simmons would certainly have had limitations. How many of us honestly had Tatum first?

Mitch Kupchak was booed for drafting Bynum... and then praised when he became an all-star... and then shredded by fans and media alike when Bynum fell to pieces. PHI overachieved this season. Let's not act like we all thought BC was doing a crap job 2 weeks ago.
Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,446

Post#16 » by Slava » Fri Jun 8, 2018 11:45 pm

The minions trying to save their jobs. :lol:
:king: + :angry: = :wizard:
kobe_vs_jordan
General Manager
And1: 4,489

Post#17 » by kobe_vs_jordan » Sat Jun 9, 2018 12:04 am

Pickled Prunes wrote:Of course they did. There was no clear #1. I'm sure all kinds of discussions took place. But this is revisionist history and it will be a number of years before we know how this plays out. Besides, it's the same pick most of us would have made and I could argue that Ball's fit next to Simmons would certainly have had limitations. How many of us honestly had Tatum first?

Being there was no clear number one is even more reason not to trade up.
Mwd1981
Pro Prospect
And1: 124

Post#18 » by Mwd1981 » Sat Jun 9, 2018 1:00 am

If we’re all doing 20/20 hindsight why not just say he should have drafted Mitchell!
Buckeye-NBAFan
General Manager
And1: 4,537

Post#19 » by Buckeye-NBAFan » Sat Jun 9, 2018 1:06 am

Mwd1981 wrote:If we’re all doing 20/20 hindsight why not just say he should have drafted Mitchell!

Because Tatum is younger, a better defender, a better shooter, and can play off Simmons more effectively (Simmons and Mitchell are ball dominant, Tatum is a better spot up shooter).
Rek
Senior
And1: 128

Post#20 » by Rek » Sat Jun 9, 2018 1:22 am

gordoncatrell wrote:wow...it's an avalanche. havent seen a FO takedown this quick and coordinated ever before...

Thoroughly coordinated. Controlled leak to The Ringer complete with all details required. Nice stream of updates being fed to the media at every possible turn. Ensures the franchise is clear of any wrong doing (independent investigation) so long as they remove BC from the fold. Publicly reinforce their faith in Brown by giving him the interim GM role.

Can only assume the GM interviews are all for show. They probably knew who they wanted before the leak.

Return to Wiretap Discussion