Kyrie Irving Confirms He Won't Sign Extension With Celtics This Offseason

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

Kyrie Irving Confirms He Won't Sign Extension With Celtics This Offseason 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:10 pm

Kyrie Irving confirmed he won't sign a contract extension with the Boston Celtics this offseason

Irving can sign a significantly bigger contract if declines his player option for 19-20 and becomes a free agent.

“No,” he said. “Contractually or financially, it just wouldn’t make any sense.”

Irving was asked whether essentially being on a one-year deal could have an impact on the Celtics.

“The focus is solely on winning a championship next year. I don’t think it’ll necessarily have an effect. I’m doing my best to kind of deflect all that and focus on what’s in front of us.”

Irving asked his hope for the future.

“My hope is that maybe we could limit it to maybe one question a day about what I’m doing next year. That’s my hope. But obviously I can’t really control that. But I think you guys can feel my attitude is really just redemption next year — really integrating myself with our team again and really focus on winning a championship. That’s the only thing I’m really worried about. Until I get to that point, then I can’t really answer any questions. I’m pretty sure management and I will have a talk, but that talk won’t happen now.”

Via Steve Bulpett/Boston Herald

TKainZero
Head Coach
And1: 3,275

Re: Kyrie Irving Confirms He Won't Sign Extension With Celtics This Offseason 

Post#2 » by TKainZero » Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:24 pm

That’s a little bizarre

I thought he would be happy to be the face of the franchise
USA Celtics in full effect. Amazing chemistry building experience right there for the main core of the team

Proceeds to finish 7th and shames the entire nation!
Psubs
RealGM
And1: 10,633

Post#3 » by Psubs » Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:42 pm

TKainZero wrote:That’s a little bizarre

Tatum is already the face of the franchise and Hayward might be the 2nd face. :D
Temuhjan
Sixth Man
And1: 321

Post#4 » by Temuhjan » Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:09 am

He is already thinking about ring chasing. Having says that, there is a good chance he will stick around beyond Season 2018/19
NoZoLakers
General Manager
And1: 3,358

Post#5 » by NoZoLakers » Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:13 am

bos not gona be able to afford to keep all their youth if irving gets that super max (not the all nba kind)....if rosier is still there next season theyll have to resign irving, brown and rosier n this doesnt even take into acct what happens with smart
bigmean
Assistant Coach
And1: 133

Post#6 » by bigmean » Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:08 am

The easiest thing to trade him, and go after Mo Bamba, or Luka Doncic at #3

Atlanta gets: Kyrie Irving, Justin Holiday,
2019 first round draft pick from L.A. Clippers via Boston
L.A. Clippers' 1st round pick to Boston (via Memphis) protected for selections 1-14 in 2019 and 1-14 in 2020; if the L.A. Clippers have not conveyed a 1st round pick to Boston by 2020, then the L.A. Clippers will instead convey their 2022 2nd round pick to Boston

2019 first round draft pick from Philadelphia or Sacramento via Boston
Boston will receive the more favorable of Philadelphia's 2019 1st round pick protected for selection 1 and Sacramento's 2019 1st round pick (via Philadelphia) protected for selection 1 and Philadelphia will receive the less favorable or the protected of these two picks

Chicago gets: Abdul Nader. Mason Plumlee, #27 from Boston

Boston gets: #3 from Atlanta, Dennis Schroeder. Cristian Feliciano

Atlanta gets a major trade chip (Kyrie Irving) all season long with those two first round, and Justin Holiday, allow Travis Schenk to do the wheeling dealing for Irving

Chicago gets a late first round pick, for there trouble, swapping for deep bench fodder

Boston gets a pretty good point guard and banging undersized center with good contract, and the prize #3,

I originally had Feliciano going to atlanta and holiday going to atlanta

https://basketball.realgm.com/nba/draft/future_drafts/detailed
ChokeFasncists
RealGM
And1: 1,501

Post#7 » by ChokeFasncists » Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:52 am

Psubs wrote:

Tatum is already the face of the franchise and Hayward might be the 2nd face. :D

Stevens as well.

OTOH, the extension is so small, it makes too much sense to wait
MorbidHEAT wrote:My dislike for Lin started during Linsanity. It was absurd. It's probably irrational dislike at this point, but man he gets on my nerves. He's been tearing us up though.
Thanks for the honesty.
dan-man
Sixth Man
And1: 364

Post#8 » by dan-man » Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:10 am

I think he's saying that he can sign a higher ceiling contract the following summer so it doesn't mean he's not committed to Boston. Although, I'm assuming there will be a lot of speculation otherwise as there always will be until you sign the dotted line, especially when you are a shifty character like he is.
BJaysRaps
Assistant Coach
And1: 8,729

Post#9 » by BJaysRaps » Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:20 am

bigmean wrote:The easiest thing to trade him, and go after Mo Bamba, or Luka Doncic at #3

L.A. Clippers' 1st round pick to Boston (via Memphis) protected for selections 1-14 in 2019 and 1-14 in 2020; if the L.A. Clippers have not conveyed a 1st round pick to Boston by 2020, then the L.A. Clippers will instead convey their 2022 2nd round pick to Boston

Boston will receive the more favorable of Philadelphia's 2019 1st round pick protected for selection 1 and Sacramento's 2019 1st round pick (via Philadelphia) protected for selection 1 and Philadelphia will receive the less favorable or the protected of these two picks

Atlanta gets a major trade chip (Kyrie Irving) all season long with those two first round, and Justin Holiday, allow Travis Schenk to do the wheeling dealing for Irving

Chicago gets a late first round pick, for there trouble, swapping for deep bench fodder

Boston gets a pretty good point guard and banging undersized center with good contract, and the prize #3,

no way ATL is trading away their pick for 1 year of Kyrie since they are rebuilding and who they build Kyrie around? Their roster terrible
shanghaifanzi
Senior
And1: 796

Post#10 » by shanghaifanzi » Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:48 am

he already taken precaution if lebron is going to celtics this offseason :lol:
ChokeFasncists
RealGM
And1: 1,501

Post#11 » by ChokeFasncists » Wed Jun 13, 2018 4:08 am

BJaysRaps wrote:
bigmean wrote:The easiest thing to trade him, and go after Mo Bamba, or Luka Doncic at #3

no way ATL is trading away their pick for 1 year of Kyrie since they are rebuilding and who they build Kyrie around? Their roster terrible

Ya, need a third team for that to work
MorbidHEAT wrote:My dislike for Lin started during Linsanity. It was absurd. It's probably irrational dislike at this point, but man he gets on my nerves. He's been tearing us up though.
Thanks for the honesty.
bigmean
Assistant Coach
And1: 133

Post#12 » by bigmean » Wed Jun 13, 2018 4:18 am

Atlanta trade for Irving only to move him again, they love to do that, and get additional assets,of there choice, it easy deal for them
Patsfan1081
RealGM
And1: 5,491

Post#13 » by Patsfan1081 » Wed Jun 13, 2018 4:50 am

BallnIngram wrote:bos not gona be able to afford to keep all their youth if irving gets that super max (not the all nba kind)....if rosier is still there next season theyll have to resign irving, brown and rosier n this doesnt even take into acct what happens with smart

Irving isn't eligible for any supermax, Boston can only give him a fith year and a % increase that other teams can, it doesn't amount to huge dollars more though. Brown also isn't up next summer, he's conviently up the same year Hayward has his player option. Boston will let one of Smart/Rozier go, the others they can fit under the luxury tax.
NoZoLakers
General Manager

Post#14 » by NoZoLakers » Wed Jun 13, 2018 4:52 am

Patsfan1081 wrote:
BallnIngram wrote:bos not gona be able to afford to keep all their youth if irving gets that super max (not the all nba kind)....if rosier is still there next season theyll have to resign irving, brown and rosier n this doesnt even take into acct what happens with smart

Irving isn't eligible for any supermax, Boston can only give him a fith year and a % increase that other teams can, it doesn't amount to huge dollars more though. Brown also isn't up next summer, he's conviently up the same year Hayward has his player option. Boston will let one of Smart/Rozier go, the others they can fit under the luxury tax.

doesnt briwn enter rfa after end of next season?
Patsfan1081
RealGM
And1: 5,491

Post#15 » by Patsfan1081 » Wed Jun 13, 2018 4:56 am

BallnIngram wrote:
Patsfan1081 wrote:

He has a team option, this was only his second season. Same as Ingram.
NoZoLakers
General Manager

Post#16 » by NoZoLakers » Wed Jun 13, 2018 4:59 am

Patsfan1081 wrote:
BallnIngram wrote:
Patsfan1081 wrote:

i thought we had to ext ingram as well after next season
mousizzle
Ballboy
And1: 1

Post#17 » by mousizzle » Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:24 pm

Patsfan1081 wrote:

You really think they will let Smart go? I find hes a special breed and talent that is severely overlooked. If Boston had to choose between him or Hayward, Hayward would be the obvious choice in my opinon -- not to mention he possibly has a higher trade ceiling.
Mwd1981
Pro Prospect
And1: 124

Post#18 » by Mwd1981 » Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:54 pm

Boston can keep everyone they have, it’s just a matter of if they want to pay the tax for that roster.

They also need contracts to facilitate trades.
tidho
General Manager
And1: 3,070

Post#19 » by tidho » Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:00 pm

looks like he's learned something from LeBron

clocks ticking Celtics
puja21
Bench Warmer
And1: 187

Post#20 » by puja21 » Wed Jun 13, 2018 4:38 pm

BallnIngram wrote:
Patsfan1081 wrote:
BallnIngram wrote:doesnt briwn enter rfa after end of next season?

i thought we had to ext ingram as well after next season

After 3rd year

e.g.
Oladipo drafted 2013, signed 4y $84M extension Oct 2016
Otto Porter also drafted 2013, Washington declined to extend and he got a whopping RFA offer from Brooklyn that they were forced to match in Oct 2017
(Porter scenario is the landscape Boston could be facing with Smart, since he was drafted in 2014, but not extended in 2017)

Wiggins and Embiid drafted 2014, both signed 5y extensions in Oct 2017 ($146M and $148M respectively)
Rozier drafted 2015 and that's why all the talk about his contract during the playoffs, because he eligible for extension this summer (2018) otherwise could hit RFA status in 2019.

Return to Wiretap Discussion