Michael Porter Jr. Cancels Workout Due To Strained Hop

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

Michael Porter Jr. Cancels Workout Due To Strained Hop 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Thu Jun 14, 2018 3:41 pm

Michael Porter Jr. has canceled his second pro day in Chicago set for Friday due to a strained hip.

Porter was unable to get out of bed due to muscle spasms.

The New York Knicks, Sacramento Kings, Phoenix Suns and other lottery teams planned on attending the workout, according to Kevin O'Connor of The Ringer.

Porter was the No. 2 player in the 2017 incoming high school class but injuries during his freshman season have impacted his stock.

"There doesn't appear to be anything wrong with him right now," one NBA executive told ESPN.com. "But a conservative doctor could still [be concerned about] what might happen down the road."

Via Jonathan Givony/ESPN

Kimiko
Senior
And1: 1,068

Re: Michael Porter Jr. Cancels Workout Due To Strained Hop 

Post#2 » by Kimiko » Thu Jun 14, 2018 3:48 pm

Unable to get out of bed ? That doesn't sound good.
njknicks
Pro Prospect
And1: 113

Post#3 » by njknicks » Thu Jun 14, 2018 4:00 pm

Unfortunately teams will be leery of drafting Porter now.

After being medically cleared to play basketball after his initial back surgery in February, to have lingering back spasms just prior to workouts is a tell tale sign. He is a tantalizing talent, but would not be surprised if he falls out of the lottery.

Lucky for Porter, they have incredible medical staffs throughout the league which can properly diagnosis and treat the prolonged effect of his back injury ( what he is experiencing may not be related ).

Praying for a full recovery and to see this young talent shine on the bright stage.
Hoopzilla
Starter
And1: 520

Post#4 » by Hoopzilla » Thu Jun 14, 2018 4:02 pm

I am currently dealing with an injury in my hip. Somedays, when I have overexerted the day before, getting out of bed is difficult or impossible and believe me, there is something wrong... :crazy:
Bentley1225
RealGM
And1: 1,562

Post#5 » by Bentley1225 » Thu Jun 14, 2018 5:15 pm

Wonder if he falls out of the top 10. Can't see him not going in the lottery.
ecuhus1981
RealGM
And1: 1,427

Post#6 » by ecuhus1981 » Thu Jun 14, 2018 5:46 pm

I'm always incredibly leery of pre-draft news like this. it could be a legit injury, in which case red flags re-appear and he could be waiting in the green room for a looooooong time.

OR, it could be a smokescreen to scare of other teams, if he prefers a certain team that has made him a promise. My guess is the latter (NYK? DEN????), but if he is re-injured, I hope he heals up well. It would be a shame to see so much talent undercut by an injury-prone body.
Some people really have a way with words. Other people... not... have... way.
-- Steve Martin
Lalouie
RealGM
And1: 10,066

Post#7 » by Lalouie » Thu Jun 14, 2018 5:52 pm

uh-oh.... he just dropped on draft day
Lalouie
RealGM

Post#8 » by Lalouie » Thu Jun 14, 2018 6:00 pm

ecuhus1981 wrote:I'm always incredibly leery of pre-draft news like this. it could be a legit injury, in which case red flags re-appear and he could be waiting in the green room for a looooooong time.

OR, it could be a smokescreen to scare of other teams, if he prefers a certain team that has made him a promise. My guess is the latter (NYK? DEN????), but if he is re-injured, I hope he heals up well. It would be a shame to see so much talent undercut by an injury-prone body.

that's a ploy that's has little return.
any number of unforseen things can happen. putting out such fake news is maybe a ploy if a player is expected to go near the top , say #2, and he WANTS to be drafted by the #4 team, but porter currently is in the second half of the draft and there's too many possibilities ahead of him. also doesn't sound like something a player who said he's the best player in the draft would do
ChokeFasncists
RealGM
And1: 1,501

Post#9 » by ChokeFasncists » Thu Jun 14, 2018 6:05 pm

Sounds like a good pick for some teams that want to do the Process 2.0?

Maybe Harry Giles 2.0 with the Kings?
MorbidHEAT wrote:My dislike for Lin started during Linsanity. It was absurd. It's probably irrational dislike at this point, but man he gets on my nerves. He's been tearing us up though.
Thanks for the honesty.
spree2kawhi
RealGM
And1: 3,821

Post#10 » by spree2kawhi » Thu Jun 14, 2018 6:42 pm

Don't worry, if he's totally healthy, he'll go one pick after the Knicks. If he's damaged goods, he'll be sitting on those garden front row corner seats.
sfernald
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,260

Post#11 » by sfernald » Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:39 pm

To me all the signs suggest that he has a promise from the Chicago Bulls and he wants to make sure nobody picks him before #7. He is staying there in Chicago. He gave them his medicals first. He had a private workout with them.

Did he ever actually give his medical info to anyone other than the Bulls yet?
alienswon
Rookie
And1: 2,174

Post#12 » by alienswon » Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:51 pm

lol. he badly wants to drop and is avoiding Dallas and Memphis. It is true he wants to go to Chicago. He would not release this if he was trying to go high.
the_process
RealGM
And1: 8,721

Post#13 » by the_process » Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:12 pm

He’s now red flagged on my list. So he wants CHI, huh? That could drop both the Bridges and Wendell Carter down.
ecuhus1981
RealGM
And1: 1,427

Post#14 » by ecuhus1981 » Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:50 pm

Lalouie wrote:
ecuhus1981 wrote:I'm always incredibly leery of pre-draft news like this. it could be a legit injury, in which case red flags re-appear and he could be waiting in the green room for a looooooong time.

any number of unforseen things can happen. putting out such fake news is maybe a ploy if a player is expected to go near the top , say #2, and he WANTS to be drafted by the #4 team, but porter currently is in the second half of the draft and there's too many possibilities ahead of him. also doesn't sound like something a player who said he's the best player in the draft would do

I don't think it's a smart strategy, but he wouldn't be the first prospect to shoot their draft stock in the foot. Or in this case, the hip.

We're all speculating at this point; it'd be a ballsy move from his agent to tank his already shaky stock, in order to steer him to a team.
Some people really have a way with words. Other people... not... have... way.
-- Steve Martin
Lalouie
RealGM

Post#15 » by Lalouie » Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:03 pm

ecuhus1981 wrote:
Lalouie wrote:

I don't think it's a smart strategy, but he wouldn't be the first prospect to shoot their draft stock in the foot. Or in this case, the hip.

We're all speculating at this point; it'd be a ballsy move from his agent to tank his already shaky stock, in order to steer him to a team.

if the ploy is for porter to drop to a better team instead of those losers at the top, it might work. it's such a ballsy move, it might be on purpose.
Darthlukey
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 3,149

Post#16 » by Darthlukey » Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:17 pm

Lalouie wrote:
ecuhus1981 wrote:
Lalouie wrote:

if the ploy is for porter to drop to a better team instead of those losers at the top, it might work. it's such a ballsy move, it might be on purpose.

This came to my mind too!
The Lamma
Veteran
And1: 5,229

Post#17 » by The Lamma » Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:26 pm

He loses a sh** ton of money dropping from say 4th to 10th though.
He'd hafta really not care about the paper and that almost never happens

https://basketball.realgm.com/nba/info/rookie_scale
The Lamma
Veteran

Post#18 » by The Lamma » Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:38 pm

RealGM Wiretap wrote:"There doesn't appear to be anything wrong with him right now," one NBA executive from a team holding an early pick told ESPN.com. "We're trying to fleece the Knicks so make sure you print that."

Fixed

PS Can't get out of bed, but there doesn't seem to be anything wrong with him. Alllllrighty then. :crazy:
The Lamma
Veteran

Post#19 » by The Lamma » Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:07 am

Will the REAL MPJr please stand up??
fuller4379
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,486

Post#20 » by fuller4379 » Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:55 am

Even dropping 3 picks can cost a million each year. I doubt this is an act.

http://www.spotrac.com/nba/rookie-scale/

Return to Wiretap Discussion