NBA Sends Memo Suggesting Possible Elimination Of One-And-Done Rule By 2021

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

Chi
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,376

Re: NBA Sends Memo Suggesting Possible Elimination Of One-And-Done Rule By 2021 

Post#21 » by Chi » Sun Jun 17, 2018 5:16 pm

SuperDario wrote:
Chi wrote:I don't get why "fans" want this to come to an end... Do you not see the difference in the level of player that's in the league currently compared to the Highschool trash we used to put up with in the early 2000s era?

I'd much rather see it become 2 years than 0...

I mean yea, obviously you've got your Lebron, Kobe and KG and a few others. But the list of SCRUBS that came out of HS in that time period is ugly.

On the other hand I DO Agree that the NCAA is ripping these guys off. I don't like that aspect of it, and I think the G League needs to prepare for a takeover, that would be the perfect scenario in my mind.

But I don't want to see every athletic potential "Darius Miles" guy in highschool getting drafted early again.

What do we get like 1 bust per year now? Doug McDermott is like the only guy I can think of recently not living up to his potential yet, and he's not even that bad...

Just imagine Trey Young being the number 1 pick because of his high school potential. I'm not a fan of this idea...

Let these guys develop first. We need more Damian Lillards and less Sebastian Telfair's

If they aren't good enough, they won't play. The NBA is basically just developing a more expansive farm system to bypass the crooked NCAA. Increased international appeal, out-of-HS eligibility, longer drafts (3 or 4 rounds), revamped developmental league (G League)... We're trending towards the future, my friend. Do you really have to put "fans" in quotation marks just because we believe that's a good thing?

"Fans" is in quotations because I don't understand why "Fans" want this to happen... I completely understand why the players and their families would want this. But from a "fan" perspective, I see no benefit.

I'd rather see 37 yr old David West on an NBA roster than 18 yr old Darius Miles...

On the other hand, if you agree with me that it's ok for these kids to play in the G League instead then we are already on the same page. I just don't want to see them hogging up space on NBA rosters when they're not qualified to be there yet.
ChokeFasncists
RealGM
And1: 1,501

Post#22 » by ChokeFasncists » Sun Jun 17, 2018 6:43 pm

Chi wrote:
SuperDario wrote:
Chi wrote:I don't get why "fans" want this to come to an end... Do you not see the difference in the level of player that's in the league currently compared to the Highschool trash we used to put up with in the early 2000s era?

I mean yea, obviously you've got your Lebron, Kobe and KG and a few others. But the list of SCRUBS that came out of HS in that time period is ugly.

On the other hand I DO Agree that the NCAA is ripping these guys off. I don't like that aspect of it, and I think the G League needs to prepare for a takeover, that would be the perfect scenario in my mind.

But I don't want to see every athletic potential "Darius Miles" guy in highschool getting drafted early again.

What do we get like 1 bust per year now? Doug McDermott is like the only guy I can think of recently not living up to his potential yet, and he's not even that bad...

Just imagine Trey Young being the number 1 pick because of his high school potential. I'm not a fan of this idea...

Let these guys develop first. We need more Damian Lillards and less Sebastian Telfair's

If they aren't good enough, they won't play. The NBA is basically just developing a more expansive farm system to bypass the crooked NCAA. Increased international appeal, out-of-HS eligibility, longer drafts (3 or 4 rounds), revamped developmental league (G League)... We're trending towards the future, my friend. Do you really have to put "fans" in quotation marks just because we believe that's a good thing?

"Fans" is in quotations because I don't understand why "Fans" want this to happen... I completely understand why the players and their families would want this. But from a "fan" perspective, I see no benefit.

I'd rather see 37 yr old David West on an NBA roster than 18 yr old Darius Miles...

On the other hand, if you agree with me that it's ok for these kids to play in the G League instead then we are already on the same page. I just don't want to see them hogging up space on NBA rosters when they're not qualified to be there yet.

G-League is the way.
MorbidHEAT wrote:My dislike for Lin started during Linsanity. It was absurd. It's probably irrational dislike at this point, but man he gets on my nerves. He's been tearing us up though.
Thanks for the honesty.
GeorgeMarcus
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 23,049

Post#23 » by GeorgeMarcus » Sun Jun 17, 2018 6:59 pm

Chi wrote:
SuperDario wrote:

Fair enough. I think most GM's are smart enough to gauge whether time spent in the G-League would be beneficial rather than clogging up roster spots unnecessarily. It gives them an opportunity to evaluate young prospects at a professional level, while reserving the right to call them up at any time.
The Legend of George Marcus

"Where I'm from, bullies get bullied." - Zach Randolph
Chi
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,376

Post#24 » by Chi » Sun Jun 17, 2018 7:28 pm

SuperDario wrote:
Chi wrote:
SuperDario wrote:

Fair enough. I think most GM's are smart enough to gauge whether time spent in the G-League would be beneficial rather than clogging up roster spots unnecessarily. It gives them an opportunity to evaluate young prospects at a professional level, while reserving the right to call them up at any time.

I don't give GM's that much credit... In today's NBA I could see how this could easily be turned into a new form of tanking.

If Atlanta had 37yr old David West who was a still a solid player and provided solid veteran leadership on a more than reasonable contract. I could see them cutting him to make room for 17yr old Darius Miles. Masking it as having a so called "prospect" around the team, but in actuality tanking games with a player who can't provide Anything valuable to a professional basketball team at the moment.

With that said, even if they do someday have the G League officially replace college basketball for top prospects. I still would like to see a 1 year or possibly even 2 year waiting period before they're allowed in the NBA. Or perhaps just an age restriction.

Or maybe (just off the top of my head) even have it where any High schooler drafted outside of the top 5 has to wait the grace period in the development league.
That way the players that the teams decide is good enough to get picked that high (like Lebron at number 1 for example) they could play them immediately if that's the case. Then we don't have to deal with the highschool "projects" that get drafted later in the round.
ramseses+2
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#25 » by ramseses+2 » Tue Aug 7, 2018 12:33 am

I believe that playing college basketball is a practical way for a player to get an education and to keep playing at a high level, but it’s not always the best option. The NBA Commissioner, Adam Silver, should change the one-and-done policy and lower the age requirement to eighteen years old and abolish the rule of having to be removed from high school for at least one year. After high school, basketball players should be allowed to make the decision themselves on when they should enter the NBA.
Some high school basketball players want to go straight into the NBA because they do not want to risk a career ending injury playing college basketball. Playing college basketball can be seen as a waste of time to some players because they believe that they would not be challenged in the NCAA. Other professional sports, such as baseball and hockey, allow athletes to play professionally at eighteen years old.
Not all players are interested in receiving an education. The players that know they want to play professionally and do not care about learning should have the choice to bypass playing college ball. Many players would also rather join the NBA than the NCAA because they would actually get paid what they fairly deserve. The NCAA generates almost one billion dollars from college sports. Essentially, the players make the money for the college basketball programs instead of themselves.
The one-and-done rule limits the options of how high school basketball players can continue to play ball. Playing college basketball can actually derail a young player’s journey to the NBA. These eighteen-year-olds are adults and should have the choice to become a basketball player in the NBA after high school. Changing the policy of the one-and-done rule would allow players after high school to have more options on how they want to continue their basketball career.
Oriole8159
Sophomore
And1: 37

Post#26 » by Oriole8159 » Tue Aug 7, 2018 5:53 pm

ramseses+2 wrote:I believe that playing college basketball is a practical way for a player to get an education and to keep playing at a high level, but it’s not always the best option. The NBA Commissioner, Adam Silver, should change the one-and-done policy and lower the age requirement to eighteen years old and abolish the rule of having to be removed from high school for at least one year. After high school, basketball players should be allowed to make the decision themselves on when they should enter the NBA.
Some high school basketball players want to go straight into the NBA because they do not want to risk a career ending injury playing college basketball. Playing college basketball can be seen as a waste of time to some players because they believe that they would not be challenged in the NCAA. Other professional sports, such as baseball and hockey, allow athletes to play professionally at eighteen years old.
Not all players are interested in receiving an education. The players that know they want to play professionally and do not care about learning should have the choice to bypass playing college ball. Many players would also rather join the NBA than the NCAA because they would actually get paid what they fairly deserve. The NCAA generates almost one billion dollars from college sports. Essentially, the players make the money for the college basketball programs instead of themselves.
The one-and-done rule limits the options of how high school basketball players can continue to play ball. Playing college basketball can actually derail a young player’s journey to the NBA. These eighteen-year-olds are adults and should have the choice to become a basketball player in the NBA after high school. Changing the policy of the one-and-done rule would allow players after high school to have more options on how they want to continue their basketball career.

you're only looking at it from the players perspective, what about the owner's perspective? Remember that it is the owners that own the team and the ones that actually are extending the job offer, so you have to factor that into the convo and not just have it be about what is good for the player.

Ivan Rabb, Thomas O'Bryant and Robert Williams are perfect examples in the past 2 drafts about why the owners are benefited by keeping players in school multiple years. Both as freshmen were perceived lottery picks based on potential, but not necessarily basketball skill yet. After regressing next year, Williams fell late into Rd 1 and Rabb and O'Bryant fell out of the first round entirely because owners/GMs saw that they are really not as good as their potential warranted.

Because one singular player can change a franchise overnight in the NBA, teams are forced to gamble on upside if they have any shot of building a team from scratch. If teams are forced to gamble, then it is their interest to get multiple years of these prospects before having to make a decision.

Return to Wiretap Discussion