Adam Silver Again Brings Up Soft Cap Issue When Asked About Parity

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 291

Adam Silver Again Brings Up Soft Cap Issue When Asked About Parity 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Wed Jun 20, 2018 4:52 pm

A few weeks after repeatedly mentioning how the NBA has a soft cap instead of a hard cap when asked about parity, Adam Silver brought up the topic again on the eve of the draft.

"There's always a next collective bargaining agreement and over the years we've talked about a harder cap than we have now," said Silver. "The NFL has a much harder cap than we do; ours is somewhat soft. Obviously, it allows teams to go significantly above the cap and the tax level and that's the case with both Golden State and Cleveland. They are significantly above where our tax level is right now."

Silver admitted he hears complaints from owners and fans.

"The 28 other teams, they're the biggest complainers that these two teams have met four times in a row [in the NBA Finals]. Ultimately, collectively our 30 teams are in charge with what system we have, along with the players. And by the way, the players on 29 other teams want a system regardless of where they are drafted or where they sign to be able to compete for championships, and that's what you want," he said.

Silver said the NBA doesn't "want to go about breaking up teams just to break them up, just to force some sort of parity that is kind of unnatural."

Via ESPN

rage2021
Senior
And1: 523

Re: Adam Silver Again Brings Up Soft Cap Issue When Asked About Parity 

Post#2 » by rage2021 » Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:11 pm

Lol and you think Golden State is "Natural"? Grow a pair Adam and fix it, these super friend team ups ala WWE style is border line comedy now. product losing its integrity.
MartinToVaught
RealGM
And1: 17,157

Post#3 » by MartinToVaught » Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:59 pm

There's always an excuse from Silver on his terrible product. Why he can't just admit that the Warriors broke the league is beyond me. :roll:
GordanFreeman
Assistant Coach
And1: 5,165

Post#4 » by GordanFreeman » Wed Jun 20, 2018 6:09 pm

MartinToVaught wrote:There's always an excuse from Silver on his terrible product. Why he can't just admit that the Warriors broke the league is beyond me. :roll:

If anyone deserves to "break the league" it's the Warriors. They've sucked for so long and this is their time to shine. And they did it mostly the right way with smart moves and drafting. Even without KD they were a potential and Durant signing with them was mostly luck. Having a hard cap, like the NFL and NHL will lead to more parity though.
puja21
Bench Warmer
And1: 187

Post#5 » by puja21 » Wed Jun 20, 2018 6:15 pm

rage2021 wrote:Lol and you think Golden State is "Natural"? Grow a pair Adam and fix it, these super friend team ups ala WWE style is border line comedy now. product losing its integrity.

Losing integrity?
This isn't unique across to this era or even this sport...

Two NBA franchises account for more than 1/3 of all Finals appearances
    Yankees have won 40 out of 117 AL pennants
    3 teams (Man U, Liverpool, Arsenal) have won more than 50 of the 115 English football championships
    4 nations (Brazil, Germany, Italy, Argentina) have won 75% of all World Cups going back to inaugural 1930
    MTL Canadians have 24 Stanley cups
    CSKA Moscow won 32 of 46 Soviet League cups
MartinToVaught
RealGM

Post#6 » by MartinToVaught » Wed Jun 20, 2018 6:19 pm

GordanFreeman wrote:
MartinToVaught wrote:There's always an excuse from Silver on his terrible product. Why he can't just admit that the Warriors broke the league is beyond me. :roll:

If anyone deserves to "break the league" it's the Warriors. They've sucked for so long and this is their time to shine. And they did it mostly the right way with smart moves and drafting. Even without KD they were a potential and Durant signing with them was mostly luck. Having a hard cap, like the NFL and NHL will lead to more parity though.

Oh please. The Warriors had already won three championships in their history before this current run. Some franchises have never won any. Clippers fans have had it way worse than Warriors fans and nobody ever feels bad for us.

The way they got Iguodala wasn't the "right way" - there was a lot of shadiness surrounding that Nuggets series the year before that conveniently gets ignored. And the way they added KD certainly wasn't the "right way" - recruiting him all year and begging him to join their team after they choked in the Finals.

Nobody "deserves" to break the league like the Warriors did. All NBA fans actually deserve an entertaining, competitive product. The NBA hasn't been very entertaining or competitive since KD joined the Warriors.
nicbatum
Freshman
And1: 3

Post#7 » by nicbatum » Wed Jun 20, 2018 6:53 pm

I used to be a huge nba fan and would watch every game available, that intrigue is gone. I watch my team and that's it. When they exit the playoffs I don't really tune in to any other games. The most exciting thing about the finals was the drama that followed the game one mistake made by Jr.

Parity in the nba is a joke
aw8
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,570

Post#8 » by aw8 » Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:29 pm

Adam Silver reminds me of Roger from American Dad.
smith2373
General Manager
And1: 1,723

Post#9 » by smith2373 » Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:26 pm

"Silver said the NBA doesn't "want to go about breaking up teams just to break them up, just to force some sort of parity that is kind of unnatural." "

Lol. Silver you can't have your cake and eat it too. I don't watch hockey so I can't speak to that, but that's exactly what happens in the NFL.
GregB
RealGM
And1: 2,975

Post#10 » by GregB » Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:46 pm

The soft cap isn’t really the problem here. It was the large spike in the salary cap from the new TV deal that allowed for Durant to sign with GS.

Another issue with the CBA is how contract extensions work. For example if Kyrie Irving resigns with the Celtics this offseason, his max is 4yr/101 mil. If he waits until next years free agency, then his max will be around 5yr/188 million. If you want stars to stay, allow teams to offer 5yr extensions based on next years projections the year before they enter FA. Instead of forcing players to Enter Free Agency to find their best deal.
hyberx
Starter
And1: 384

Post#11 » by hyberx » Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:14 pm

Apparently, the parity between West and East never came across Silver's bald head. Once LeBron moves West, just renamed East to G League Plus already.
D21
Assistant Coach
And1: 656

Post#12 » by D21 » Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:21 pm

Actually, if they had just spread the increase of Salary Cap better, there would never have a jump from 70M to 95M, with teams having players salaries based on the 70M cap, and F.A. able to eat this 25M difference without loosing any players in the roster.

That's the only thing that made it happen. The Warriors were already lucky to have had injuries on their best players that made them being underpaid, and then they got the cap jump when their stars were under contract and Durant a F.A.
It will just never happen again, and no other team can make it.

They should have realize that the Warriors would be the only team in this position, and spread the increase of Salary Cap, if they wanted the league to be competitive.
Cleveland just keep his 'Finals level' because they always re-sign their players, then trade them for more salaries than less, and that's how they have this cap level now, and its not enough to beat GSW, even if they would have more chances if they had a better coach ;-)

GregB wrote:... Another issue with the CBA is how contract extensions work. For example if Kyrie Irving resigns with the Celtics this offseason, his max is 4yr/101 mil. If he waits until next years free agency, then his max will be around 5yr/188 million. If you want stars to stay, allow teams to offer 5yr extensions based on next years projections the year before they enter FA. Instead of forcing players to Enter Free Agency to find their best deal.

That's a very good point !
Spud2nique
General Manager
And1: 5,135

Post#13 » by Spud2nique » Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:30 pm

Where’s Adam’s ventriloquist? He needs a hand up his butt when he talks.
BigTex
Senior
And1: 79

Post#14 » by BigTex » Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:46 pm

I think that the idea that the league is broken is ridiculous. Parity is extremely dull. The quality of basketball being played by the top teams is as good as it has ever been. The league thrives when there are a few dominant teams. Show time Lakers/Celtics. MJ Bulls/Bad Boy Pistons. GS/Cleveland. Those are compelling match ups. You don't want to see an different team in the finals every year. You want to see generationally great basketball.

I'm a Mavs fan. We're not that good right now. But I loved every minute of the finals. GS is playing the most attractive basketball I've seen since Magic was running showtime. They are truly playing a beautiful game. That's why I watch, to see the occasional great teams play incredibly attractive ball. It only happens once in a generation or so, but when it does, it's worth it.
YelloC
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,487

Post#15 » by YelloC » Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:03 pm

So is Silver talking about parity or parody. It is a league that is a parody of a league with parity. GSW is stacked and always rumored to be in contention for top freeagents (as long as trade partners bend over to make it happen)
Cleveland is always getting $1.50 on the dollar in trades for their washed up vets while other teams have to attach assets to get rid of their crap.
Both teams get serviceable vets on lower than market value deals.
In GSW defense, they have drafted well but it still seems like a 2 horse race every year.
hyberx
Starter
And1: 384

Post#16 » by hyberx » Thu Jun 21, 2018 3:32 am

YelloC wrote:So is Silver talking about parity or parody. It is a league that is a parody of a league with parity. GSW is stacked and always rumored to be in contention for top freeagents (as long as trade partners bend over to make it happen)
Cleveland is always getting $1.50 on the dollar in trades for their washed up vets while other teams have to attach assets to get rid of their crap.
Both teams get serviceable vets on lower than market value deals.
In GSW defense, they have drafted well but it still seems like a 2 horse race every year.

Yes, all legit complain, but why these two teams and not the other 28?

1. Cavs has....had LeBron and they play in the G League Plus, so that's an easy path to Final, therefore, vets like to sign with them. Once LeBron make it official leaving no vets will sign with Cleveland for cheap.
2. Warrios has great team culture, great owner, great coaching staff, great system that utilize everyone on the team (including the rooks). Why not? Those factors make any old vets look better than they actually would have been when they play on another team.
3. There is always the location factor that you can't change/ignore. LA and NY have always been the destinations even when their teams suck big time.
4. There's always two sides of a trade. You can blame incompetency or luck, but saying the trade partners bend over to make a trade to benefit the Warriors is just silly talk. Every trade partner has an owner that needs to make money and face public opinion, plus a GM who get paid millions to do his job. Fortune prefer the prepared and smart one.
ChokeFasncists
RealGM
And1: 1,501

Post#17 » by ChokeFasncists » Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:44 am

This guy really shouldn't have helped the Cavs win that chip. Created that monster bandwagon in Oakland.
MorbidHEAT wrote:My dislike for Lin started during Linsanity. It was absurd. It's probably irrational dislike at this point, but man he gets on my nerves. He's been tearing us up though.
Thanks for the honesty.
Cassius
RealGM
And1: 3,960

Post#18 » by Cassius » Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:42 pm

D21 wrote:

Actually, if they had just spread the increase of Salary Cap better, there would never have a jump from 70M to 95M, with teams having players salaries based on the 70M cap, and F.A. able to eat this 25M difference without loosing any players in the roster.

That's the only thing that made it happen. The Warriors were already lucky to have had injuries on their best players that made them being underpaid, and then they got the cap jump when their stars were under contract and Durant a F.A.
It will just never happen again, and no other team can make it.

They should have realize that the Warriors would be the only team in this position, and spread the increase of Salary Cap, if they wanted the league to be competitive.
Cleveland just keep his 'Finals level' because they always re-sign their players, then trade them for more salaries than less, and that's how they have this cap level now, and its not enough to beat GSW, even if they would have more chances if they had a better coach ;-)

GregB wrote:... Another issue with the CBA is how contract extensions work. For example if Kyrie Irving resigns with the Celtics this offseason, his max is 4yr/101 mil. If he waits until next years free agency, then his max will be around 5yr/188 million. If you want stars to stay, allow teams to offer 5yr extensions based on next years projections the year before they enter FA. Instead of forcing players to Enter Free Agency to find their best deal.

That's a very good point !

I understand why the players rejected the idea of smoothing. They had just come out of a pretty vicious CBA negotiation, and I believe the NFL was in the middle of an even more bitter one at the time. To suggest that the NBAPA should have trusted the league/owners, who were claiming that they were losing money, only to watch the Clippers (!) sell for $2B a few months later, would have been naïve at the absolute best. I highly doubt that 100% of the 25M would have materialized.

The only thing that the NBAPA failed to realize was that Durant is a coward. If either one of KD or Russ hadn't choked away the WCF, I find it even harder to believe that Durant would still be a Warrior.
I_Like_Dirt wrote:The whole comparison to Kevin McHale is ridiculously close, imo... And that's without more hilarious aspects of the comparison, e.g. if Wally Sczerbiak were 7 feet tall with the slower reflexes that came with the additional height, he'd be Bargnani.
MartinToVaught
RealGM

Post#19 » by MartinToVaught » Thu Jun 21, 2018 1:29 pm

ChokeFasncists wrote:This guy really shouldn't have helped the Cavs win that chip. Created that monster bandwagon in Oakland.

Except he didn't help the Cavs win that chip.
ChokeFasncists
RealGM
And1: 1,501

Post#20 » by ChokeFasncists » Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:55 pm

MartinToVaught wrote:
ChokeFasncists wrote:This guy really shouldn't have helped the Cavs win that chip. Created that monster bandwagon in Oakland.

Except he didn't help the Cavs win that chip.

??
MorbidHEAT wrote:My dislike for Lin started during Linsanity. It was absurd. It's probably irrational dislike at this point, but man he gets on my nerves. He's been tearing us up though.
Thanks for the honesty.

Return to Wiretap Discussion