LeBron James Still Trying To Get Stars To Join Him With Cavaliers

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 292

LeBron James Still Trying To Get Stars To Join Him With Cavaliers 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Fri Jun 22, 2018 4:44 am

LeBron James is a few days away from free agency and continues to pursue his options to remain with the Cleveland Cavaliers.

"All the arrows point to him bolting," said Ryen Russillo. "But I know for a fact LeBron is trying to figure out if other stars around the league want to come play with him in Cleveland first.

"I know for a fact that LeBron is still trying to find a way to make it happen in Cleveland. I just don't know if anybody wants to go there with him."

The Cavaliers kept the No. 8 pick and selected Collin Sexton.

Via Ryen Russillo/ESPN

gordoncatrell
Sixth Man
And1: 178

Re: LeBron James Still Trying To Get Stars To Join Him With Cavaliers 

Post#2 » by gordoncatrell » Fri Jun 22, 2018 4:45 am

TOLJDA.
teams arent Thirsty for the King.
there's only two options. the others are just being mentioned to compel Choice A and B to improve "win now" rosters.
gordoncatrell
Sixth Man
And1: 178

Post#3 » by gordoncatrell » Fri Jun 22, 2018 4:51 am

Would a young Star want to put up with his Antics/Backstabbing Smear Campaigns?
would a midmileage star want to be marginalized?
would an old has-been star be enough to contend w PHI/BOS?
Doe Lotto
Ballboy
And1: 18

Post#4 » by Doe Lotto » Fri Jun 22, 2018 5:12 am

Is there nothing but Goat haters on this site??
Darthlukey
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 3,124

Post#5 » by Darthlukey » Fri Jun 22, 2018 5:43 am

Doe Lotto wrote:Is there nothing but Goat haters on this site??

Hate???
Mwd1981
Pro Prospect
And1: 124

Post#6 » by Mwd1981 » Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:31 am

LeBron is a tough one. Teams won’t blink about paying him the max, but I’m not sure they’ll want 4/5 years of him considering all the roster demands he brings with him.

Only Cleveland and LAL will let him dominate the ball, Boston if they trade Kyrie.

I still think it’s James and George to LA, but there will be no leaks until July 6, due to tampering allegations.

I don’t think Cleveland keep the pick for Sexton if James was staying, he’d have already buddied up with another star prior to draft
Mwd1981
Pro Prospect
And1: 124

Post#7 » by Mwd1981 » Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:33 am

Will James be prepared to change his style as he ages?
tigerae
Rookie
And1: 233

Post#8 » by tigerae » Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:21 am

Not sure where this report comes from, I highly doubt LeBron is sitting at home calling up other stars asking if they want to come to the Cavs.

My guess is right now he's spending some much needed time away from basketball with his family, maybe on vacation with the banana boat crew.

Regardless of what he did or didn't do in terms of demands and requests for the Cavs to make the team better, he's made them tons of money from sales (tickets, merchandise, deep playoff runs, TV contracts, etc.) and brought the team's first championship.

He took the team from a lottery team to a championship contender.

Quite a few teams in the NBA will be more than willing to do the same if it means money and multiple finals and/or conference final appearances and possibly a championship.

Sent from my SM-G935T using RealGM mobile app
7thshield
Junior
And1: 293

Post#9 » by 7thshield » Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:50 am

gordoncatrell wrote:Would a young Star want to put up with his Antics/Backstabbing Smear Campaigns?
would a midmileage star want to be marginalized?
would an old has-been star be enough to contend w PHI/BOS?

Clown status. you.
NBARocks
Sixth Man
And1: 1,505

Post#10 » by NBARocks » Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:29 am

that's kind of stupid seeing as they could have gotten Paul George last season if he just committed, and who knew, might even have gotten Butler. let's not kid ourselves. if he was so intent to stay with the Cavs and he wanted others to join him instead of leaving, he'd have made the situation in Cleveland a whole lot better by being clear about his plans.
Freefloater
Sixth Man
And1: 892

Post#11 » by Freefloater » Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:03 am

lol forget about it he is signing with hOUSTON
Fact is that momentum in games is a real thing, while not tangible itself, you can tangibly see the effect it has when teams are on runs and how it can dramatically effect the outcome of games when you can generate any momentum.
t-rexCity
Junior
And1: 79

Post#12 » by t-rexCity » Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:26 am

So what's his pitch to them? "Hey come play with me. Your stats will suffer. There's no coaching. I just make up plays for myself. I will leave in free agency if it doesn't work out because if we lose you're the problem. Not me."
Dino353
Sixth Man
And1: 1,246

Post#13 » by Dino353 » Fri Jun 22, 2018 12:41 pm

Man Lebron should look forward to playing with Collin. Stop trying to play with stars man, Collin can really help the Cavs in so many ways they lacked these past Finals. He's going to the Lakers because I don't see Gilbert wanting to move Sexton in a deal to appease Lebron, great job Gilbert.

Big fan of Sexton, Dan got it right with this one. Collin is a winner and will be able to lead the Cavs without Lebron.
castor777
Senior
And1: 110

Post#14 » by castor777 » Fri Jun 22, 2018 12:47 pm

t-rexCity wrote:So what's his pitch to them? "Hey come play with me. Your stats will suffer. There's no coaching. I just make up plays for myself. I will leave in free agency if it doesn't work out because if we lose you're the problem. Not me."

Probably more like "I've been to 8 straight Finals, 9 in my career, never exited the 1st round. The East, while getting tougher, is still a hell of a lot easier than the West and if you're with me I feel confident we can play for a title next year." Seriously, the hate in these posts is quite hilarious when you try and hide his success.
imDatknicksTape
Pro Prospect
And1: 361

Post#15 » by imDatknicksTape » Fri Jun 22, 2018 1:13 pm

t-rexCity wrote:So what's his pitch to them? "Hey come play with me. Your stats will suffer. There's no coaching. I just make up plays for myself. I will leave in free agency if it doesn't work out because if we lose you're the problem. Not me."

exactly.. I hate it when media keeps mentioning " LeBron makes players better" I have not seen this yet, everyone that he played with digressed badly (love, IT, Bosh, wade, Clarkson, g hill, Rodney hood.... the list goes on). I'm not sayin hes NOT a top 5 player of all time , He deinetly IS top 5. he makes players worse while he outperforms every game.. even bosh said to media after two titles that its hard playing with LeBron..
Indomitable
RealGM
And1: 5,406

Post#16 » by Indomitable » Fri Jun 22, 2018 1:27 pm

Darthlukey wrote:

Hate???

Who mentioned Jordan?
:banghead:
DimesandKnicks
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,625

Post#17 » by DimesandKnicks » Fri Jun 22, 2018 2:12 pm

imDatknicksTape wrote:

exactly.. I hate it when media keeps mentioning " LeBron makes players better" I have not seen this yet, everyone that he played with digressed badly (love, IT, Bosh, wade, Clarkson, g hill, Rodney hood.... the list goes on). I'm not sayin hes NOT a top 5 player of all time , He deinetly IS top 5. he makes players worse while he outperforms every game.. even bosh said to media after two titles that its hard playing with LeBron..

There's a difference between digressing, and no longer being the number one option on a team. IT was hurt, Bosh went from a number one option to number 3, Love was on a terrible team thus put up inflated numbers and Wade went from a primary ball handler to sharing those responsibilities with Lebron, but his efficiency Sky rocketted.
Donnyxc
Starter
And1: 247

Post#18 » by Donnyxc » Fri Jun 22, 2018 2:13 pm

Indomitable wrote:
Darthlukey wrote:

Hate???

Who mentioned Jordan?

+1
"If I had to choose a player to take a shot to save a game I'd choose Michael Jordan; If I had to choose a player to take a shot to save my life...I'd take Larry Bird." - Pat Riley
tidho
General Manager
And1: 3,064

Post#19 » by tidho » Fri Jun 22, 2018 2:17 pm

castor777 wrote:

Probably more like "I've been to 8 straight Finals, 9 in my career, never exited the 1st round. The East, while getting tougher, is still a hell of a lot easier than the West and if you're with me I feel confident we can play for a title next year." Seriously, the hate in these posts is quite hilarious when you try and hide his success.

There's a reality to it though.

He owns the direction of that team on the floor, and he steers it in his own best interest not the teams. In the last four years, only Kyrie has been put in a position to maximize their success. Everyone else there has been bastardized to maximize LeBron's stats.
bb22
Starter
And1: 984

Post#20 » by bb22 » Fri Jun 22, 2018 2:36 pm

tidho wrote:
castor777 wrote:

There's a reality to it though.

He owns the direction of that team on the floor, and he steers it in his own best interest not the teams. In the last four years, only Kyrie has been put in a position to maximize their success. Everyone else there has been bastardized to maximize LeBron's stats.

I think getting to the finals is in both Lebron's, and the team's, best interest. He is a dominant personality, and it's always going to be his team (the media is largely to blame for continuing to feed this narrative, too). I think he liked being the centre of attention in these playoffs, loved hitting those game winners and racking up the stat sheet (Something any basketball player would enjoy), but ultimately knows that he won't be able to play 45 mpg in the coming years without risking a serious career-altering injury, and genuinely wants to play along someone (or a couple guys) that can take that pressure off of him.

Return to Wiretap Discussion