Spurs Publicly Say They Still Prefer To Retain Kawhi Leonard

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 292

Spurs Publicly Say They Still Prefer To Retain Kawhi Leonard 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Fri Jun 22, 2018 1:44 pm

R.C. Buford spoke publicly about the San Antonio Spurs' preference to retain Kawhi Leonard despite his trade request.

"Kawhi and his family mean a lot to our organization and to our community," Buford said. "While none of us would wish we are where we are, we are going to do what we can to build the best relationship we can with him. We will explore all of our options, but the first one would be to keep Kawhi as part of our group."

Buford declined to comment on trade speculation surrounding Leonard on Thursday. 

Buford was asked about a timeline for getting Leonard's situation resolved.

"Yesterday," said Buford.

"I don't know that timing is a factor in this," Buford said. "He is under contract for another year. Our goal is to keep him as part of our program for a long time."

Via San Antonio Express-News

Hoopzilla
Starter
And1: 520

Re: Spurs Publicly Say They Still Prefer To Retain Kawhi Leonard 

Post#2 » by Hoopzilla » Fri Jun 22, 2018 2:48 pm

Oh yeah, Kawhi means so much to the franchise that Pop didn't go meet with him until it was too late and the team threw him under the bus all season long. I am sure he feels the love...
DROB27
Assistant Coach
And1: 5,119

Post#3 » by DROB27 » Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:24 pm

Hoopzilla wrote:Oh yeah, Kawhi means so much to the franchise that Pop didn't go meet with him until it was too late and the team threw him under the bus all season long. I am sure he feels the love...

Huh? Pop has been trying to reach out to Kawhi for sometime now but his handlers have been trying to keep Kawhi away from him .
likashing
Head Coach
And1: 1,959

Post#4 » by likashing » Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:27 pm

Buford is out of the woodworks now.
Mark Jackson wrote:Playoff preparation is overrated... I’m going to get my rest. I’m not going to grow old and be stressed out and get gray hair.
the_process
RealGM
And1: 8,703

Post#5 » by the_process » Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:41 pm

It’s fine, Philly has the pieces to deal for him now and the backbone to risk him leaving.

Pop and Brett will work something out soon.
gordoncatrell
Sixth Man
And1: 178

Post#6 » by gordoncatrell » Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:59 pm

Broken.
Would SAS fire Pop, let TP go, and trade LMa?
Nope.
RC fibbing
gdog2004
Starter
And1: 706

Post#7 » by gdog2004 » Fri Jun 22, 2018 4:15 pm

Welcome to Philadelphia Kawhi !
gordoncatrell
Sixth Man

Post#8 » by gordoncatrell » Fri Jun 22, 2018 4:42 pm

Hoopzilla wrote:Oh yeah, Kawhi means so much to the franchise that Pop didn't go meet with him until it was too late and the team threw him under the bus all season long. I am sure he feels the love...

odd how it's salvageable after you lose all leverage. i guess the probable SD bully tactic backfired.
translation: SAS has no leverage and all their trade proposals have been lowballs. SEE Whiteside.
ChokeFasncists
RealGM
And1: 1,501

Post#9 » by ChokeFasncists » Fri Jun 22, 2018 5:33 pm

Does that mean if they don't get satisfactory return from a trade, they will keep Kawaii for a year?

Reminds one of the Melo situation except that Melo had a NTC and Kawaii is a much better player.

Or is he gonna do a season-ending surgery ala Kyrie?
MorbidHEAT wrote:My dislike for Lin started during Linsanity. It was absurd. It's probably irrational dislike at this point, but man he gets on my nerves. He's been tearing us up though.
Thanks for the honesty.
likashing
Head Coach

Post#10 » by likashing » Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:27 pm

Spurs *Publicly* Say They Still Prefer To Retain Kawhi Leonard

Pop also *publicly* threw Kawhi under the bus when he said Kawhi was cleared and you had to talk to his people

I like this public private ****.
Mark Jackson wrote:Playoff preparation is overrated... I’m going to get my rest. I’m not going to grow old and be stressed out and get gray hair.
totalrekall
Senior
And1: 49

Post#11 » by totalrekall » Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:35 pm

they're going to do the only thing that makes sense. wait Kawhi out. bc of Kawhi's trade demands the Spurs are over a barrel w/ other teams. they will be forced to take .50 on the dollar no matter when they trade him. if they wait long enough maybe Kawhi caves in on his demands. either way they get very little in return for Kawhi so might as well wait and see if Kawhi has a change of heart. right now Spurs are in a no-win situation regarding trading him so they have no incentive to do so in a timely manner
gordoncatrell
Sixth Man

Post#12 » by gordoncatrell » Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:44 pm

totalrekall wrote:they're going to do the only thing that makes sense. wait Kawhi out. bc of Kawhi's trade demands the Spurs are over a barrel w/ other teams. they will be forced to take .50 on the dollar no matter when they trade him. if they wait long enough maybe Kawhi caves in on his demands. either way they get very little in return for Kawhi so might as well wait and see if Kawhi has a change of heart. right now Spurs are in a no-win situation regarding trading him so they have no incentive to do so in a timely manner

simply put.
RCs options: trade for a little something. or walks and gets nothing.

Frontrunners are great when ahead. how has SAS responded when not in power? not well. the Tantrums do not reflect well on them moving forward.
The Laker Kid
General Manager
And1: 6,491

Post#13 » by The Laker Kid » Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:51 pm

Good. I hope he stays there and honors his contract that HE SIGNED. Stand up and be a professional, Kawhi. If you have real health issues, be upfront about it instead of being passive aggressive and non-communicative. It's only 1 year, not 20 years. Grind it out. You will have all the freedom to leave after your contract ends next year, but in the meantime, please honor your contract like a true professional.
MaxwellSmart wrote:I hate to say this, but Go Lakers....
colaroaster
Sixth Man
And1: 796
Location: jp morgan, rockefellers, rothschild, vanderbilt, danny ainge

Post#14 » by colaroaster » Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:08 pm

got a feeling pop isn't caving to this self-servicing asshat that quit on the coach, players, and fans
likashing
Head Coach

Post#15 » by likashing » Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:28 pm

totalrekall wrote:they're going to do the only thing that makes sense. wait Kawhi out. bc of Kawhi's trade demands the Spurs are over a barrel w/ other teams. they will be forced to take .50 on the dollar no matter when they trade him. if they wait long enough maybe Kawhi caves in on his demands. either way they get very little in return for Kawhi so might as well wait and see if Kawhi has a change of heart. right now Spurs are in a no-win situation regarding trading him so they have no incentive to do so in a timely manner

His trade value diminishes as it gets into 2019. The Spurs might want a better return now, and they have every right to do so.

However, at some point, they need to weigh getting "something" instead of "nothing", and there is also the 2019 trade deadline.

The Spurs can obviously choose to let Kawhi walk next summer, and get "nothing" in return. That is their choice.

#popcorn
Ballerhogger
RealGM
And1: 16,798

Post#16 » by Ballerhogger » Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:59 pm

FIne lose him for nothing
gordoncatrell
Sixth Man

Post#17 » by gordoncatrell » Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:30 pm

The Laker Kid wrote:Good. I hope he stays there and honors his contract that HE SIGNED. Stand up and be a professional, Kawhi. If you have real health issues, be upfront about it instead of being passive aggressive and non-communicative. It's only 1 year, not 20 years. Grind it out. You will have all the freedom to leave after your contract ends next year, but in the meantime, please honor your contract like a true professional.

in a broken marriage; people get divorced, bc it's no fun being held against your will.
lonzo_pelota
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,544

Post#18 » by lonzo_pelota » Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:25 pm

RC having delusions of grandeur

i knew they felt the pinch the second i saw David Robinsion doing a press run tryna soften the blow the spurs were taking
Clyde Frazier
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 25,274

Post#19 » by Clyde Frazier » Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:47 pm

As they should.
Temuhjan
Sixth Man
And1: 321

Post#20 » by Temuhjan » Sat Jun 23, 2018 12:00 am