Russell Westbrook Aware Of Idea Players May Not Want To Play With Him

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

Russell Westbrook Aware Of Idea Players May Not Want To Play With Him 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Tue Jun 26, 2018 4:35 am

Russell Westbrook has realized that he will need to take a lead role in keeping Paul George with the Oklahoma City Thunder.

"The bigger question for me is not necessarily what the Thunder learned, but what did Russell Westbrook learn about recruiting star a teammate back?" said Royce Young on The Hoop Collective. "I think what's interesting here is I hear a lot about Westbrook and George and kind of the relationship they've built and that it's really strong off the court.

"I think what's key about this is Paul George got to meet Russell Westbrook when he was 28 years old. Russell Westbrook at 28 years old is a lot different than the 20-year-old Kevin Durant met and got to know. So while Westbrook and Durant had a unique bond they had a respect and admiration for each other, there were a lot of scars to that relationship.

"Paul George is meeting and getting to know Russell Westbrook as a father, as a married man and as a strong and mature guy. Quite an evolution in terms of personality. I think that's kind of an interesting element.

"One thing Russell Westbrook is not known for is he's not a real social guy when it comes to team dinners, hanging out, cookouts at the house, playing video games and doing those types of things. Westbrook was kind of off and isolated.

"He's kind of broken out of that shell with Paul George."

Westbrook reportedly is aware of the perception some around the league have that certain players may not want to play with him.

"It's a conversation I've had with him and other people have talked to him about. He's aware of the idea that people don't want to play with him," said Young. Whether that's true or not. Really, this is kind of an unfair setup for him. Paul George coming to Oklahoma City; they were never on the radar. It was well known that the Lakers were his preferred destination.

"If Westbrook can pull it off, it's a feather in his cap for sure. At the same time, it's going to be something people are going to talk about. It's going to be a narrative that persists if Paul George leaves whether it's Westbrook's fault or not."

Via Royce Young/ESPN

cthunshammer
Sophomore
And1: 165

Re: Russell Westbrook Aware Of Idea Players May Not Want To Play With Him 

Post#2 » by cthunshammer » Tue Jun 26, 2018 5:47 am

drama
Balkman32
Lead Assistant
And1: 808

Post#3 » by Balkman32 » Tue Jun 26, 2018 10:57 am

This story makes it sound like Russ pushed Kd out the door. Kd came to a fork in the road in 2016, the players association decided it would be better for their players to have the cap spike and have 5 players get PAID and now those players can’t even get on the floor.

But, the fork in the road he could have stayed with the Thunder worked his tail off and maybe bring a championship to OKC or the easy road. There was already a path, they already won a championship, they won 73 games and most of all he does not have to be the guy. Kd took the easy way out. If the Thunder has a better roster he would have stayed and played with Russ. It’s not like he can’t stand to be around him. Kd just saw a team that had 3 all stars instead of 1.
ChokeFasncists
RealGM
And1: 1,501

Post#4 » by ChokeFasncists » Tue Jun 26, 2018 11:39 am

Balkman32 wrote:This story makes it sound like Russ pushed Kd out the door. Kd came to a fork in the road in 2016, the players association decided it would be better for their players to have the cap spike and have 5 players get PAID and now those players can’t even get on the floor.

But, the fork in the road he could have stayed with the Thunder worked his tail off and maybe bring a championship to OKC or the easy road. There was already a path, they already won a championship, they won 73 games and most of all he does not have to be the guy. Kd took the easy way out. If the Thunder has a better roster he would have stayed and played with Russ. It’s not like he can’t stand to be around him. Kd just saw a team that had 3 all stars instead of 1.

What if the Harden trade never happened......
MorbidHEAT wrote:My dislike for Lin started during Linsanity. It was absurd. It's probably irrational dislike at this point, but man he gets on my nerves. He's been tearing us up though.
Thanks for the honesty.
Dino353
Sixth Man
And1: 1,246

Post#5 » by Dino353 » Tue Jun 26, 2018 11:53 am

Ill go to war any day with Russ, I know he’s going down fighting and won’t be scared to take a game by the neck.
Balkman32
Lead Assistant

Post#6 » by Balkman32 » Tue Jun 26, 2018 12:14 pm

ChokeFasncists wrote:
Balkman32 wrote:This story makes it sound like Russ pushed Kd out the door. Kd came to a fork in the road in 2016, the players association decided it would be better for their players to have the cap spike and have 5 players get PAID and now those players can’t even get on the floor.

What if the Harden trade never happened......

Thats a big one. What if Kd stayed and the Thunder signed Al Horford and either still had Oladipo or add Paul George to that mix.

The Harden trade is so hard becasue you could see there was not enough ball to go around. But, the Thunder should have let Harden play that 4th season and they should have let him hit the RFA market and they should have matched whatever he was offered.
Balkman32
Lead Assistant

Post#7 » by Balkman32 » Tue Jun 26, 2018 12:43 pm

Dino353 wrote:Ill go to war any day with Russ, I know he’s going down fighting and won’t be scared to take a game by the neck.

Looking at how everything unfloded. Its too bad that Russ took that back deat to Durant during his time in OKC. I think Russ has showes that he is much better suited for that role than Kd ever was.
Dino353
Sixth Man
And1: 1,246

Post#8 » by Dino353 » Tue Jun 26, 2018 12:47 pm

Balkman32 wrote:
Dino353 wrote:Ill go to war any day with Russ, I know he’s going down fighting and won’t be scared to take a game by the neck.

Looking at how everything unfloded. Its too bad that Russ took that back deat to Durant during his time in OKC. I think Russ has showes that he is much better suited for that role than Kd ever was.

Russ may have lost but it was because George and Melo just couldn't hit their shots so he took matters into his own hands. You have to respect that as a fan of watching a competitor. He lost but he went down fighting which is something we never see from Lebron. Lebron's approach is okay I'm going to get everyone 3 point shots and if they miss I'm going to get my 20-35 and check out of this game.

Westbrook's mindset is to win, that's why I don't get all the hype with George and I never have actually. He's really good but always chokes and folds under pressure, and Laker fans are drooling to get him? He's a second option and not a Batman.
Cowbulls
Rookie
And1: 888

Post#9 » by Cowbulls » Tue Jun 26, 2018 2:27 pm

I'm confused. Players don't want to play with one of the least efficient shooters in the playoffs with the guy who attempts the most shots during the playoffs? I wonder why.
xAIRNESSx
RealGM
And1: 13,146

Post#10 » by xAIRNESSx » Tue Jun 26, 2018 3:29 pm

As long as Russ gets to pad his stats and get paid, nothing else matters to him.
likashing
Head Coach
And1: 1,959

Post#11 » by likashing » Tue Jun 26, 2018 3:37 pm

Fake news. Kanter loves playing with Russ. OKC just isn’t an attractive city for majority of the stars.
Mark Jackson wrote:Playoff preparation is overrated... I’m going to get my rest. I’m not going to grow old and be stressed out and get gray hair.
cappuccino
Freshman
And1: 24

Post#12 » by cappuccino » Tue Jun 26, 2018 4:52 pm

:lol: i´ll pay for see your face when u are about to shoot and your gun is empy because someone else took yours bullets :lol:
sean1913
Sophomore
And1: 39

Post#13 » by sean1913 » Tue Jun 26, 2018 5:55 pm

gotta say that this is a bit facetious.
of course he knows what other players think! he ain't deaf and blind! now ask did he trust PG13 and a broke down melo during this campaign? if he did and they let him down he reverts to bad russ of the 39FGA! if he didn't then he's bad russ of the 39FGA up front. a transcendent talent but a chucker who cannot co exist! fact.
as for Durant. i'm sure he's crying in his bay area lattes about how russ was the better #1 option as he shines his trophies!
fact.
as for PG13. he's great. multifaceted and a top 3 2 way player. but he's a mid 2nd or hi 3rd option. fact......
go ask IND this season if they're better without his 90MIL on the books.
all the talent in the world and no heart equals nada

Return to Wiretap Discussion