Lakers Have 'Inside Track' To Signing LeBron James

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

Lakers Have 'Inside Track' To Signing LeBron James 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Fri Jun 29, 2018 10:24 pm

LeBron James' decision to become a free agent became public on Friday and he is expected to decide between the Los Angeles Lakers, Cleveland Cavaliers and Philadelphia 76ers.

"This is a good day for the Los Angeles Lakers," said Brian Windhorst. "It's a step forward for the Lakers. I believe the Lakers have the inside track for getting LeBron."

Windhorst suggested that the meeting between James and Magic Johnson will be critical for the Lakers' chances.

"If the Lakers can close the deal in that meeting, they have a great chance of stealing LeBron James away from the Cavaliers."

Windhorst said it imperative that the Lakers convince James they can build a team around him even if they don't receive a commitment from Paul George or trade for Kawhi Leonard.

"This will be about more than just this summer's transaction. It will be a long-term decision."

James appears to believe that the Lakers have more potential than the Cavaliers.

"The Lakers have a lot more avenues to chase (the Warriors) down," said Windhorst.

Windhorst added that the 76ers will have the chance to pitch James. The most important factor will be whether Joel Embiid and James can discuss how they can play together.

"I think the Lakers are the leaders for LeBron James," Windhorst concluded.

Via Brian Windhorst/ESPN

akula1488
Bench Warmer
And1: 449

Re: Lakers Have 'Inside Track' To Signing LeBron James 

Post#2 » by akula1488 » Fri Jun 29, 2018 10:31 pm

Inside track or tempering?
gordoncatrell
Sixth Man
And1: 178

Post#3 » by gordoncatrell » Fri Jun 29, 2018 10:38 pm

Windy doing his best Don King routine...
All wordplay...

A one-way pitch. This is the 3rd public plea on BronInc's behalf from Windy on ESPN mic.... 3rd. PUBLIC PRESSURE. The fire isnt there.

How odd. Windy now hints that it wont be a HOSTAGE 1+1 contract?

Why? Think about it.

Who is LAL truly keying in on? Does that player want to play w BronInc?

This is getting juicy...
IgorK
Veteran
And1: 4,786

Post#4 » by IgorK » Fri Jun 29, 2018 10:47 pm

Joel Embiid doesn't have the bball IQ to talk on LeBron's level. Philly fans can move on now.
"You want me to own a team and deal with these rich, spoiled stubborn athletes, and try to get them to perform? No thank you." - Kobe

AMG
gordoncatrell
Sixth Man

Post#5 » by gordoncatrell » Fri Jun 29, 2018 11:21 pm

IgorK wrote:Joel Embiid doesn't have the bball IQ to talk on LeBron's level. Philly fans can move on now.

Back in feb/march I recall someone posting that PHI would be used as a boogeyman...last resort...and if BronInc were to ever pull the PHI lever, it would be to trade HIGH VALUE asset Embiid into BronInc supp players
NBA Moses
Pro Prospect
And1: 373

Post#6 » by NBA Moses » Fri Jun 29, 2018 11:26 pm

Does BagofWindhorst have any cred as an nba expert?
Benfitnyc
Junior
And1: 119

Post#7 » by Benfitnyc » Fri Jun 29, 2018 11:26 pm

IgorK wrote:Joel Embiid doesn't have the bball IQ to talk on LeBron's level. Philly fans can move on now.

What an idiotic statement.
timpiker
Senior
And1: 428

Post#8 » by timpiker » Fri Jun 29, 2018 11:32 pm

Brian Windbag "thinks" and its now news. The media has gone nuts.
likashing
Head Coach
And1: 1,959

Post#9 » by likashing » Fri Jun 29, 2018 11:32 pm

LeBron with whatever "stars" they get on the Lakers need to beat the Rockets/Warriors in back to back rounds. He won't ever reach the Finals again. Maybe not even WCF.
Mark Jackson wrote:Playoff preparation is overrated... I’m going to get my rest. I’m not going to grow old and be stressed out and get gray hair.
commentatorer
Sixth Man
And1: 815

Post#10 » by commentatorer » Fri Jun 29, 2018 11:38 pm

“That’s the dumbest [expletive] I’ve ever heard,” James told The Athletic after his 44 points evened this series at two games each. “That tracking [expletive] can kiss my ass. The slowest guy? Get out of here.” :lol:
luss54321
Starter
And1: 297

Post#11 » by luss54321 » Fri Jun 29, 2018 11:43 pm

timpiker wrote:Brian Windbag "thinks" and its now news. The media has gone nuts.

It's the beginning of free agency. Everyone is speculating about what will happen. Nobody knows for sure. Why is that so hard for you understand? If you don't enjoy reading about speculation, then check back in a few months when the season starts.
eureca20
Junior
And1: 81

Post#12 » by eureca20 » Fri Jun 29, 2018 11:51 pm

likashing wrote:LeBron with whatever "stars" they get on the Lakers need to beat the Rockets/Warriors in back to back rounds. He won't ever reach the Finals again. Maybe not even WCF.

CP3 is great but has been breaking down for years. Ariza/Tucker aren't getting any better. Ariza may not even be back. I don't think it is some lock that the Rockets will be dominant for a long time. I don't even buy that Rockets will be as good as they were last year. Last year was the Rockets chance. They may never have it again.

Warriors will be the favorites for years. Lebron wasn't beating them anyways in the East unless he found someway to join the Celtics. Also I don't think Lebron is beating a healthy Celtics squad in the East next year anyways.
likashing
Head Coach
And1: 1,959

Post#13 » by likashing » Fri Jun 29, 2018 11:55 pm

eureca20 wrote:
likashing wrote:LeBron with whatever "stars" they get on the Lakers need to beat the Rockets/Warriors in back to back rounds. He won't ever reach the Finals again. Maybe not even WCF.

CP3 is great but has been breaking down for years. Ariza/Tucker aren't getting any better. Ariza may not even be back. I don't think it is some lock that the Rockets will be dominant for a long time. I don't even buy that Rockets will be as good as they were last year. Last year was the Rockets chance. They may never have it again.

Warriors will be the favorites for years. Lebron wasn't beating them anyways in the East unless he found someway to join the Celtics. Also I don't think Lebron is beating a healthy Celtics squad in the East next year anyways.

The Rockets with CP3 is still much stronger than *ANY* team he has faced in the East, except the big3 Celtics. The last 5-8 years there was like one All NBA 1st team from the East, and that was LeBron.

To me it is just a probability game. You chances of beating 2 tough teams back to back, is just much lower. One cannot just evaluate teams in a vacuum.
Mark Jackson wrote:Playoff preparation is overrated... I’m going to get my rest. I’m not going to grow old and be stressed out and get gray hair.
eureca20
Junior
And1: 81

Post#14 » by eureca20 » Sat Jun 30, 2018 12:17 am

likashing wrote:
eureca20 wrote:

The Rockets with CP3 is still much stronger than *ANY* team he has faced in the East, except the big3 Celtics. The last 5-8 years there was like one All NBA 1st team from the East, and that was LeBron.

To me it is just a probability game. You chances of beating 2 tough teams back to back, is just much lower. One cannot just evaluate teams in a vacuum.

I agree that the Rockets are better than any team Lebron faced in the East, but I don't think that necessarily means that it would be the same in the future. I definitely put a healthy Celtics team ahead of the Rockets. Lebron would have missed the finals last year if just 1 of the Celtics top two players played. I have the Celtics competing with the Warriors for a the championship for the next few years as the top 2 teams currently.
dice
RealGM
And1: 12,542

Post#15 » by dice » Sat Jun 30, 2018 1:05 am

gordoncatrell wrote:How odd. Windy now hints that it wont be a HOSTAGE 1+1 contract?

is an organization really any less of a hostage signing lebron to a long-term deal? he can still ask for a trade at any time, but now the org has a longer commitment to a rapidly aging lebron and the circus that he brings
the donald, always unpopular, did worse in EVERY state in 2020. and by a greater margin in red states! 50 independently-run elections, none of them rigged
Mikael
Freshman
And1: 17

Post#16 » by Mikael » Sat Jun 30, 2018 1:11 am

BS

He's not going to LA to get pounded by GS or Houston in the second round
Temuhjan
Sixth Man
And1: 321

Post#17 » by Temuhjan » Sat Jun 30, 2018 1:17 am

Mikael wrote:BS

He's not going to LA to get pounded by GS or Houston in the second round

The only place Bron can go where he does not get pummeled by GS is GS. GS has a mid level exception for $5.3m if Bron is interested.
NoZoLakers
General Manager
And1: 3,358

Post#18 » by NoZoLakers » Sat Jun 30, 2018 1:40 am

akula1488 wrote:Inside track or tempering?

fyi...EVERY team FO tampers 8-)
Rek
Senior
And1: 128

Post#19 » by Rek » Sat Jun 30, 2018 2:02 am

gordoncatrell wrote:Windy doing his best Don King routine...
All wordplay...

A one-way pitch. This is the 3rd public plea on BronInc's behalf from Windy on ESPN mic.... 3rd. PUBLIC PRESSURE. The fire isnt there.

Why? Think about it.

This is getting juicy...

I'd like to think that Magic and RP are looking to pair up Kawhi with AD or Durant as the next foundation. Anyone else should be fallback options imo. However, wouldn't be surprised to see them sign a 2nd tier star like PG13 with the mindset of flipping that 2nd star for a league talent like AD a year or so from now.
gordoncatrell
Sixth Man

Post#20 » by gordoncatrell » Sat Jun 30, 2018 3:20 am

Rek wrote:
gordoncatrell wrote:Windy doing his best Don King routine...
All wordplay...

Why? Think about it.

This is getting juicy...

I'd like to think that Magic and RP are looking to pair up Kawhi with AD or Durant as the next foundation. Anyone else should be fallback options imo. However, wouldn't be surprised to see them sign a 2nd tier star like PG13 with the mindset of flipping that 2nd star for a league talent like AD a year or so from now.

I think RP shares your POV...
If it came down to a meeting w Magic + BronInc, how soon after the mtg does BronInc leak a mischaracterization of the dialogue?
Has anyone EVER remembered a time when BronInc has used the media to push himself onto a team like this?
What happens if RP snares KL while letting time go by post BronInc mtg?
Will BronInc then PICK LAL and force their hand? Whatf LAL is not interested? Do they have the stones to handle the backlash?
Can the kids on the roster play through something like this?

How messy does this one get?

Return to Wiretap Discussion