Re: Rockets Initially Offered Four-Year, $60M To Clint Capela

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

Rockets Initially Offered Four-Year, $60M To Clint Capela 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:47 pm

The Houston Rockets' initial offer to Clint Capela in restricted free agency was in the four-year, $60 million range, according to sources.

Capela, however, is seeking a deal similar to Steven Adams' four-year, $100 million deal.

Capela's restricted free agency market is limited due to the dearth of teams with cap space and the expectation Houston will match any reasonable contract.

Capela was the 25th overall pick in 2015 and has emerged as one of the best centers in the NBA.

Via Tim MacMahon/ESPN

12footrim
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,316

Post#2 » by 12footrim » Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:10 pm

13 million for this guy is insulting. He's one of the few players in the NBA really worth 20+ and he's essential to what they do on a really good team. You want the security but damn it's almost worth the risk to take the qualifying offer and get back on the market next year and say screw you.

Can a player just choose to sit out a year (and not get paid if he has to) and then become a free agent. I'd hate for him to get injuried but if that was an option I would do it or just refuse to play. Eff them.
Where I write

The Hoops Resource
rgm70
Freshman
And1: 17

Post#3 » by rgm70 » Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:23 pm

12footrim wrote:13 million for this guy is insulting. He's one of the few players in the NBA really worth 20+ and he's essential to what they do on a really good team. You want the security but damn it's almost worth the risk to take the qualifying offer and get back on the market next year and say screw you.

Can a player just choose to sit out a year (and not get paid if he has to) and then become a free agent. I'd hate for him to get injuried but if that was an option I would do it or just refuse to play. Eff them.

It’s 15million per year... they’ll probably settle at around 17-18mil per year.
gpoon
Pro Prospect
And1: 717

Post#4 » by gpoon » Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:25 pm

12footrim wrote:13 million for this guy is insulting. He's one of the few players in the NBA really worth 20+ and he's essential to what they do on a really good team. You want the security but damn it's almost worth the risk to take the qualifying offer and get back on the market next year and say screw you.

no one forces you to sign a contract, of course he can sit out... is it wise? probably not
ALPHAandOMEGA
Rookie
And1: 320

Post#5 » by ALPHAandOMEGA » Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:26 pm

He is worth what that market says hes worth. Go to the market and get the max you can and the team will match because that is the market rate. This is SOP for the Rockets.
Psubs
RealGM
And1: 10,633

Post#6 » by Psubs » Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:27 pm

Nerlens Noel....

Some team should offer him 4 years $80 million and see if Houston matches.
dan-man
Sixth Man
And1: 364

Post#7 » by dan-man » Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:30 pm

What we're seeing is a correction from the over inflated contracts in prior seasons. Players will have to wise up and understand that the summer of 2016 is GONE. Your players union leader didn't want cap smoothing so now you're getting squeezed a bit from the lack of available cap space with all that dead money tied up on Ryan Anderson & other terrible contracts. If you don't like it, find yourself a new union leader who isn't so short sited vs trying to squeeze out maximum $$ today and shooting everyone in the foot tomorrow.
dan-man
Sixth Man

Post#8 » by dan-man » Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:30 pm

Psubs wrote:Nerlens Noel....

Some team should offer him 4 years $80 million and see if Houston matches.

Some team? Who has the space for that.
dan-man
Sixth Man

Post#9 » by dan-man » Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:33 pm

"Insulting" is a bit dramatic. Remind the kid what happened to Noel and understand how you're one broken finger away from a minimum contract next summer. I get Capela is much better than Noel, but point is sometimes you just gotta take whats available and better position yourself for next time.
Slacktard
RealGM
And1: 17,604

Post#10 » by Slacktard » Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:36 pm

ALPHAandOMEGA wrote:

He is worth what that market says hes worth. Go to the market and get the max you can and the team will match because that is the market rate. This is SOP for the Rockets.

THIS. Plus he isn't one of the best centers in the NBA. Houston's players and system are what has given him high analytical stats. If he was one of the best centers he would have gottrn an offer sheet.
xx1c1cle
Sophomore
And1: 54

Post#11 » by xx1c1cle » Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:42 pm

I don't think he should take it.

I think he should play 1 more year on the rockets and progress and hope for a max contract later on.
the rockets are a good fit for him.

he isn't talented enough (yet) to lead a team. he needs harden and cp3 to play well. he should be careful not to get super egotistic. he is not at his peak yet, and he may never mature to be an All Star.

I consider him currently equal to peak-Tristan-Thompson. (CC has better foot work, TT has a better jump hook.)
yoyojw17
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,091

Post#12 » by yoyojw17 » Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:56 pm

Slacktard wrote:
ALPHAandOMEGA wrote:

THIS. Plus he isn't one of the best centers in the NBA. Houston's players and system are what has given him high analytical stats. If he was one of the best centers he would have gottrn an offer sheet.

Yeah... he doesn't make the Rockets... the Rockets make him! 60 mill is lower than expected.... but not sure about 100 mill that's for sure. haha
contract
RealGM
And1: 20,786

Post#13 » by contract » Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:58 pm

12footrim wrote:Can a player just choose to sit out a year (and not get paid if he has to) and then become a free agent. I'd hate for him to get injuried but if that was an option I would do it or just refuse to play. Eff them.

He can choose to fake an injury and sit out all season and then demand a trade. But that's another player and another team.
:meditate: Team Small Ball :meditate:
contract
RealGM

Post#14 » by contract » Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:02 pm

dan-man wrote:

"Insulting" is a bit dramatic. Remind the kid what happened to Noel and understand how you're one broken finger away from a minimum contract next summer. I get Capela is much better than Noel, but point is sometimes you just gotta take whats available and better position yourself for next time.

Letting people screw you never works out. Once people see that you're a punk, you'll always be a target. Take the qualifying offer, give the rockets the 82 games they paid for, pull a hamstring, and then sit out the playoffs for medical reasons.

I'm sure the Rockets won't miss him.
dan-man
Sixth Man

Post#15 » by dan-man » Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:18 pm

contract wrote:
dan-man wrote:

Letting people screw you never works out. Once people see that you're a punk, you'll always be a target. Take the qualifying offer, give the rockets the 82 games they paid for, pull a hamstring, and then sit out the playoffs for medical reasons.

I think you're confusing "punk" with "professional". Faking a hammy would make him a punk. The players do their best during collective bargaining agreement and have to play the hand they are delt. Thats what a professional would do. A punk would renege on that contractual agreement. He's getting squeezed due to his player union rep not facilitating a hybrid cap smoothing situation. Not the teams fault or problem. Maybe Ryan Anderson can slip Capela some $$ under the table from that over inflated contract?
dan-man
Sixth Man

Post#16 » by dan-man » Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:23 pm

dan-man wrote:
contract wrote:
dan-man wrote:

I think you're confusing "punk" with "professional". Faking a hammy would make him a punk. The players do their best during collective bargaining agreement and have to play the hand they are delt. Thats what a professional would do. A punk would renege on that contractual agreement. He's getting squeezed due to his player union rep not facilitating a hybrid cap smoothing situation. Not the teams fault or problem. Maybe Ryan Anderson and CP3 can slip Capela some $$ under the table from their over inflated contract?
contract
RealGM

Post#17 » by contract » Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:27 pm

dan-man wrote:
contract wrote:
dan-man wrote:

I think you're confusing "punk" with "professional". Faking a hammy would make him a punk. The players do their best during collective bargaining agreement and have to play the hand they are delt. Thats what a professional would do. A punk would renege on that contractual agreement. He's getting squeezed due to his player union rep not facilitating a hybrid cap smoothing situation. Not the teams fault or problem. Maybe Ryan Anderson can slip Capela some $$ under the table from that over inflated contract?

"Professional" is a word exploited by the guys holding the whip. It's a business decision ... same as low balling Capela because he seemingly has no leverage. If they want to make sure he turns up for the playoffs, the Rockets should be professional and pay guys what they're worth.
luss54321
Starter
And1: 297

Post#18 » by luss54321 » Tue Jul 10, 2018 4:07 pm

Clint Capela is officially the most overrated player in the NBA. The guy has absolutely zero talent on the offensive end of the floor. He went a full NBA seasom shooting 37% from the foul line. He's the fourth best player on a championship team. He's basically a glorified role player.
texasholdem
Lead Assistant
And1: 404

Post#19 » by texasholdem » Tue Jul 10, 2018 4:22 pm

luss54321 wrote:

Clint Capela is officially the most overrated player in the NBA. The guy has absolutely zero talent on the offensive end of the floor. He went a full NBA seasom shooting 37% from the foul line. He's the fourth best player on a championship team. He's basically a glorified role player.

Capela shot 37% in what was essentially his rookie season and has improved to 56% this past season. Karl Malone started his career at 48%
Andre Drummond was shooting 35.5% and was an All-Star that same year (he improved to 60% this year)
Harden is still a work-in-progress. He can score, but he can't help his teammate that much - Yao Ming
likashing
Head Coach
And1: 1,959

Post#20 » by likashing » Tue Jul 10, 2018 4:26 pm

This feels very similar to TT in 2015, except that Capela is more vital to the Rockets than TT was to the Cavs. TT was holding out until he got "Draymond's contract". Of course TT had LeBron's help because he was with Rich Paul's agency.

I believe Capela will hold out until the Rockets give him what he wants because a) the Rockets have no other option at C to enable their defense if the want to contend and b) CP3 and Harden will eventually pressure the Rockets to get it done - they won't sit well to go without a defensive C to cover them.
Mark Jackson wrote:Playoff preparation is overrated... I’m going to get my rest. I’m not going to grow old and be stressed out and get gray hair.

Return to Wiretap Discussion