76ers Haven't Offered Markelle Fultz In Trade Talks With Spurs For Kawhi Leonard

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 292

76ers Haven't Offered Markelle Fultz In Trade Talks With Spurs For Kawhi Leonard 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:02 am

The Philadelphia 76ers haven't offered Markelle Fultz in trade talks with the San Antonio Spurs for Kawhi Leonard.

It's also unclear if the Spurs have interest in Fultz.

Zach Lowe also adds that trading for Leonard without an assurance he would re-sign is more worthy of a gamble than the conventional wisdom.

"The more conflicting information I hear from people one or two steps away about what Leonard does/doesn't want, the more I think some team -- maybe one of these three -- should be more aggressive gambling on a rental and selling Leonard on its culture," writes Lowe.

Via Zach Lowe/ESPN

the_process
RealGM
And1: 8,716

Re: 76ers Haven't Offered Markelle Fultz In Trade Talks With Spurs For Kawhi Leonard 

Post#2 » by the_process » Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:47 am

No thanks, Pop’s mouthpiece Lowe. Let someone else sell the farm and watch him walk.

Now if SA is ready to be reasonable and listen to PG type packages, then that’s a different story.
ChokeFasncists
RealGM
And1: 1,501

Re: 76ers Haven't Offered Markelle Fultz In Trade Talks With Spurs For Kawhi Leonard 

Post#3 » by ChokeFasncists » Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:43 am

It's not that big of a gamble for the Sixers, didn't Kawaii said it's the only Eastern team he would resign or something?

But they don't have much to trade if Fultz isn't part of it, only Saric.
MorbidHEAT wrote:My dislike for Lin started during Linsanity. It was absurd. It's probably irrational dislike at this point, but man he gets on my nerves. He's been tearing us up though.
Thanks for the honesty.
jjsauerw
Ballboy
And1: 6

Post#4 » by jjsauerw » Thu Jul 12, 2018 1:32 pm

ChokeFasncists wrote:It's not that big of a gamble for the Sixers, didn't Kawaii said it's the only Eastern team he would resign or something?

As Woj mentioned about a week ago, they also probably have a leg up (no pun intended) on his medical stuff, since Kawhi has independently consulted with the team's chief of medicine.

I think the biggest linchpin to a trade would be finding a home for Covington in a three way deal. I could see how he doesn't fit with San Antonio if they are truly tearing it down, but he's a First Team All NBA defender on a good long term contract. He has trade equity.
hookshot199
Analyst
And1: 723

Post#5 » by hookshot199 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:36 pm

the_process wrote:No thanks, Pop’s mouthpiece Lowe. Let someone else sell the farm and watch him walk.

Now if SA is ready to be reasonable and listen to PG type packages, then that’s a different story.

Well stated. People also forget that Paul George had a whole season under his belt, after breaking his leg, before OKC made its offer. So it's a double risk for anyone who wishes to trade for Leonard. Moreover, the Sixers have a recent history of signing damaged goods - Andrew Bynum - who didn't play a single game in Philly after giving away the farm for him.

If the Sixers do nothing, they will be one of two or three top-10 teams to have $30 of available cap space to offer Leonard in July 2019.

Also note that in the season before the OKC trade, Victor Oladipo, who's a great young prospect, scored only 16 ppg. Sabonis, a nice young player, was an 11 pick.
hookshot199
Analyst

Post#6 » by hookshot199 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:57 pm

jjsauerw wrote:
ChokeFasncists wrote:It's not that big of a gamble for the Sixers, didn't Kawaii said it's the only Eastern team he would resign or something?

As Woj mentioned about a week ago, they also probably have a leg up (no pun intended) on his medical stuff, since Kawhi has independently consulted with the team's chief of medicine.

I think the biggest linchpin to a trade would be finding a home for Covington in a three way deal. I could see how he doesn't fit with San Antonio if they are truly tearing it down, but he's a First Team All NBA defender on a good long term contract. He has trade equity.

I'm sure Jonathan Glashow is going to risk losing his medical license to share confidential information with the Sixers!
jjsauerw
Ballboy
And1: 6

Post#7 » by jjsauerw » Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:46 pm

hookshot199 wrote:
jjsauerw wrote:

I'm sure Jonathan Glashow is going to risk losing his medical license to share confidential information with the Sixers!

Suppose I wasn't clear in what I meant. I'm saying if Kawhi if comfortable with Glashow, advantage Sixers. He can give permission to his medical information and the Sixers can get a better feeling about what exactly they're trading for. Conversely, he can steer himself away from certain teams by doing the opposite. It's basically the same game that agents use during the draft process.
ChokeFasncists
RealGM
And1: 1,501

Post#8 » by ChokeFasncists » Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:22 pm

jjsauerw wrote:

3&D guy, that's nice, but not a lot of trade value when stars are involved.

Ya, being comfortable with the doctor is not nothing.
MorbidHEAT wrote:My dislike for Lin started during Linsanity. It was absurd. It's probably irrational dislike at this point, but man he gets on my nerves. He's been tearing us up though.
Thanks for the honesty.
hookshot199
Analyst

Post#9 » by hookshot199 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:05 pm

jjsauerw wrote:
hookshot199 wrote:
jjsauerw wrote:

Suppose I wasn't clear in what I meant. I'm saying if Kawhi if comfortable with Glashow, advantage Sixers. He can give permission to his medical information and the Sixers can get a better feeling about what exactly they're trading for. Conversely, he can steer himself away from certain teams by doing the opposite. It's basically the same game that agents use during the draft process.

Thank you for the clarification.

But as I said, he's got two problems - one health (authorizing Glashow to share any and all records would be a minimum requirement) and the second commitment. If he's more than 50% committed to playing in LA (it would appear he is), then the Sixers are foolish to offer more than a rental price for him. Remember, the Sixers get two and perhaps three swings at the fence with Kawhi - in August, in February (trade deadline) and next July (free agency).

I suspect that a sit-down with Brett Brown (a former coach) and Josh Harris (the Sixers principal owner) can sort out the "commitment" part of this.

Return to Wiretap Discussion