One-And-Done Rule Elimination Expected To Begin For 2022 NBA Draft

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 292

One-And-Done Rule Elimination Expected To Begin For 2022 NBA Draft 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:33 pm

Teams have been privately told by executives within the league office not to expect a change to the one-and-done rule before the 2022 NBA Draft.

Players entering their freshman year of high school this year would be the first to benefit from the rule to enter the NBA directly without needing a requisite year in college.

The Miami Heat have already traded an unprotected first rounder in 2021 to the Phoenix Suns, which has since been traded to the Philadelphia 76ers.

There is a sense that the NBA would prefer to make the terms of the rule change clear before any change actually goes into place.

No team has yet traded an unprotected 2022 first rounder.

Via Jonathan Givony/ESPN

Neeva
Head Coach
And1: 2,182

Re: One-And-Done Rule Elimination Expected To Begin For 2022 NBA Draft 

Post#2 » by Neeva » Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:48 pm

Why not just implement it right away? Are they really waiting for lebron jr? Lol
TheDominator273
Sixth Man
And1: 1,079

Post#3 » by TheDominator273 » Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:28 pm

Neeva wrote:Why not just implement it right away? Are they really waiting for lebron jr? Lol

Probably because the value of picks in the draft where this changes will be incredibly high and the fairest way to proceed is to make sure all teams know the change before any picks are owed out right for that draft.
leahlj3
Ballboy
And1: 4

Post#4 » by leahlj3 » Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:41 pm

Am I the only one who is opposed to ending the one and done. I remember the days when the Cavs drafted Diop and traded for Darius Miles-epic failures by the cavs org.

The majority of highschoolers are not ready to contribute to an NBA team and as a fan of a rebuilding team, I do not feel like watching the G league Cavs. The MLB allows People to go straight from high school has a developmental league.
Other sports like tennis, or golf, the players have to prove them self. No one is giving them guaranteed money for them not to win tournament. Treating the NBA like a developmental league will not be good for the sport

Just because You can vote doesn’t mean you have the right to play in the NBA. You can’t run President of the United States, Senator, You can’t even be a full-time teacher at an accredited school without a college degree.
NO-KG-AI
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,034
Location: The city of witch doctors, and good ol' pickpockets

Post#5 » by NO-KG-AI » Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:55 pm

leahlj3 wrote:Am I the only one who is opposed to ending the one and done. I remember the days when the Cavs drafted Diop and traded for Darius Miles-epic failures by the cavs org.

The majority of highschoolers are not ready to contribute to an NBA team and as a fan of a rebuilding team, I do not feel like watching the G league Cavs. The MLB allows People to go straight from high school has a developmental league.
Other sports like tennis, or golf, the players have to prove them self. No one is giving them guaranteed money for them not to win tournament. Treating the NBA like a developmental league will not be good for the sport

Just because You can vote doesn’t mean you have the right to play in the NBA. You can’t run President of the United States, Senator, You can’t even be a full-time teacher at an accredited school without a college degree.

The players want to play in the NBA, and the teams want to draft them. If you don't want an undeveloped 18 year old, feel free to draft one of the many players that will play college ball.
Doctor MJ wrote:I don't understand why people jump in a thread and say basically, "This thing you're all talking about. I'm too ignorant to know anything about it. Lollerskates!"
PDXKnight
RealGM
And1: 2,676

Post#6 » by PDXKnight » Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:57 pm

Neeva wrote:Why not just implement it right away? Are they really waiting for lebron jr? Lol

Yes
kuclas
General Manager
And1: 3,898

Post#7 » by kuclas » Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:33 pm

I think nba should have modified baseball draft rule.

They can declare age 18. If they enter college. Have them play 2 years. At least they are somewhat serious about college if they know they have to stay for 2 years.

One and one is a joke for those not interested in college. College isn’t for everyone.
ChokeFasncists
RealGM
And1: 1,501

Post#8 » by ChokeFasncists » Sat Jul 14, 2018 5:52 am

Oh no!!!

G-League for one year and then draft!!!

Wake the F up!!!
MorbidHEAT wrote:My dislike for Lin started during Linsanity. It was absurd. It's probably irrational dislike at this point, but man he gets on my nerves. He's been tearing us up though.
Thanks for the honesty.
Spud2nique
General Manager
And1: 5,135

Post#9 » by Spud2nique » Sat Jul 14, 2018 2:45 pm

Adam Silver...he’s ugly..(Tony Montana about Rebenga)
asuran
Senior
And1: 274

Post#10 » by asuran » Sat Jul 14, 2018 7:16 pm

Spud2nique wrote:Adam Silver...he’s ugly..(Tony Montana about Rebenga)

Well, it balances out. Less distraction from hot babes, so they are usually smarter.

You think Einstein's a hottie?
Bball0000
Bench Warmer
And1: 361

Post#11 » by Bball0000 » Sun Jul 15, 2018 12:40 am

The NBA really should weigh this decision more. Is this just a whim that Adam Silver had? Do you people even remember before the 1 and done? It made the NBA a worse product. Straight from high school to the pros gives the overall NBA product too much immaturity that it doesn't need. And yes, that one year in college does wonders. All I'm going off of is the before/after the decision. Maybe it's coincidence, but probably not.

I look at this as one of the components that made up the "bad years" of the NBA -- flopping, bad reffing, 1vs1 selfish basketball, low-skilled, crappy Olympics (Iverson, Carmelo yrs), malice in the palace, high school to pros, etc. Silver should reconsider.
cheese318
Sixth Man
And1: 227

Post#12 » by cheese318 » Sun Jul 15, 2018 1:37 am

leahlj3 wrote:Am I the only one who is opposed to ending the one and done. I remember the days when the Cavs drafted Diop and traded for Darius Miles-epic failures by the cavs org.

The G league will be growing dramatically for this reason alone. A minor league for the nba teams. Won’t make the players feel so rushed to be the star they expect from day one as I guarantee a lot of players have failed due to the mounting pressure of saving a franchise like the disgraceful Cavs when owned by Gund
Hoopzilla wrote:
Whether I was born or not when the Orlando Magic tried to form a Super Team means absolutely nothing to this conversation. One thing is pretty clear, you are the load your mother should have swallowed and moved on with her life... :nod:
Bball0000
Bench Warmer
And1: 361

Post#13 » by Bball0000 » Sun Jul 15, 2018 4:19 am

cheese318 wrote:

The G league will be growing dramatically for this reason alone. A minor league for the nba teams. Won’t make the players feel so rushed to be the star they expect from day one as I guarantee a lot of players have failed due to the mounting pressure of saving a franchise like the disgraceful Cavs when owned by Gund

Wouldnt be so sure, especially if it's a high draft pick. On a losing team, fans would want to see the prospect on the nba team.
cheese318
Sixth Man
And1: 227

Post#14 » by cheese318 » Sun Jul 15, 2018 4:30 am

Bball0000 wrote:
cheese318 wrote:

Wouldnt be so sure, especially if it's a high draft pick. On a losing team, fans would want to see the prospect on the nba team.

I do agree but then again if you have the GLEAGUE you don’t have to just outright release a failed prospect. You can send him down to the minors and see if you can build him back up before he has lost all of his value.

But I guess if for reference purposes like a player like Fultz being sent down to play GLEAGUE his value to the rest of the league is taking a major hit. It’s going to be better for late first rounders and 2nd round picks to grow into their bodies and find there game

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app
Hoopzilla wrote:
Whether I was born or not when the Orlando Magic tried to form a Super Team means absolutely nothing to this conversation. One thing is pretty clear, you are the load your mother should have swallowed and moved on with her life... :nod:
bqmuzik
Junior
And1: 62

Post#15 » by bqmuzik » Sun Jul 15, 2018 6:40 am

Bball0000 wrote:The NBA really should weigh this decision more. Is this just a whim that Adam Silver had? Do you people even remember before the 1 and done? It made the NBA a worse product. Straight from high school to the pros gives the overall NBA product too much immaturity that it doesn't need. And yes, that one year in college does wonders. All I'm going off of is the before/after the decision. Maybe it's coincidence, but probably not.

I look at this as one of the components that made up the "bad years" of the NBA -- flopping, bad reffing, 1vs1 selfish basketball, low-skilled, crappy Olympics (Iverson, Carmelo yrs), malice in the palace, high school to pros, etc. Silver should reconsider.

Think of how many players are ranked as top prospects out of HS then get exposed in college. Perry Ellis would have been a top 2 draft choice if we are just basing ppl of high school numbers. Even Ed Davis was a potential #1 before he went to college. 1st rd is gonna be 70% high schoolers and we wont even be familiar with them
bqmuzik
Junior

Post#16 » by bqmuzik » Sun Jul 15, 2018 6:42 am

Because all teams own their draft picks that year
bqmuzik
Junior

Post#17 » by bqmuzik » Sun Jul 15, 2018 6:43 am

Once they go to school on a scholarship they can always go back of their career flops. Now they have no fallback option

Return to Wiretap Discussion