Thunder Likely To Waive-And-Stretch Carmelo Anthony

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 292

Thunder Likely To Waive-And-Stretch Carmelo Anthony 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:50 pm

With cap space teams like the Brooklyn Nets, Atlanta Hawks and Chicago Bulls making moves, it appears as though the Oklahoma City Thunder will be unable to trade away the contract of Carmelo Anthony.

The Thunder would have to attach multiple assets to Anthony to incentivize a team to take on his $28 million salary.

"At some point here, it is expected they'll do a waive-and-stretch on Carmelo Anthony," said Adrian Wojnarowski.

The Thunder will receive significant luxury tax savings by using the stretch provision on Anthony.

Anthony is widely expected to sign with the Houston Rockets when he becomes a free agent.

Via Adrian Wojnarowski/ESPN

jakebernat
Sixth Man
And1: 767

Re: Thunder Likely To Waive-And-Stretch Carmelo Anthony 

Post#2 » by jakebernat » Sat Jul 14, 2018 12:05 am

Why not just buy him out since he only has one year left on his contract? I don’t understand the logic in stretching him. Seems like it never truly makes financial sense, especially in the long run
alienpick
Starter
And1: 619

Post#3 » by alienpick » Sat Jul 14, 2018 12:11 am

jakebernat wrote:Why not just buy him out since he only has one year left on his contract? I don’t understand the logic in stretching him. Seems like it never truly makes financial sense, especially in the long run

A buyout still counts against the current years cap, doesn't it? So they'd still have to pay the luxury tax on his whole buyout amount as apposed to only $9 million with the stretch. The waive and stretch saves them $107 million in luxury tax and salary this year.
Sam195
Analyst
And1: 310

Post#4 » by Sam195 » Sat Jul 14, 2018 12:20 am

They should trade him to Rockets straight up for Ryan Anderson. Then hope they can find someone to take Anderson as a salary dump by the trade deadline especially if he has a bounce back season in the OKC system. People forget it is the total payroll you have at the end of the season that luxury tax is tabulated on. However the stretch provision I believe can only be used before the season starts.
Johnny Bball
RealGM
And1: 48,702

Post#5 » by Johnny Bball » Sat Jul 14, 2018 2:13 am

jakebernat wrote:Why not just buy him out since he only has one year left on his contract? I don’t understand the logic in stretching him. Seems like it never truly makes financial sense, especially in the long run

Because it doesn’t eliminate the cap hit.
lonzo_pelota
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,553

Post#6 » by lonzo_pelota » Sat Jul 14, 2018 3:46 am

Sam195 wrote:They should trade him to Rockets straight up for Ryan Anderson. Then hope they can find someone to take Anderson as a salary dump by the trade deadline especially if he has a bounce back season in the OKC system. People forget it is the total payroll you have at the end of the season that luxury tax is tabulated on. However the stretch provision I believe can only be used before the season starts.

wont work its no shots available for Ryan if he goes to OKC
russell plans on getting 62% of the shots, 28% for PG if russell doesnt change his mind during the course of the game and decides to take it over for stat padding purposes & its only a measly 10% or less for the rest of the cast in order to get russell his mandatory 10 assists
IWishIWasHarden
Sixth Man
And1: 159

Post#7 » by IWishIWasHarden » Sat Jul 14, 2018 4:18 am

Based on that logic, it is not true. The Rockets have a lot of money tied up in Ryan Anderson who could form part of a deal.

Anderson + others are better than nothing if you aren't in a position to get high draft picks.

The real reason OKC won't trade him is because they want to not pay as much salary.
danfantastk32
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,637

Post#8 » by danfantastk32 » Sat Jul 14, 2018 4:27 am

Stupid

Your not getting anyone else this offseason, so just send him to the D-League....and ride the year out. Don't stretch him, are you fools? Why waste 3 more years tied to his contract? And don't give him to another team, or let him go have fun at your expense. Send his sorry ass to the D-League....and if that's not allowed, put him at the back of the bench, and if he doesn't show up to any games or practices......take it out of his wages.

Hard to sell shoes rotting on the bench. Hit him where it hurts. If he really wants out, he can negotiate. Don't just give it all to him. And for the love of god....don't stretch him!

And I don't even really like OKC all that much.....but damn you guys are being fools
Mwd1981
Pro Prospect
And1: 124

Post#9 » by Mwd1981 » Sat Jul 14, 2018 4:48 am

I think they’ll work a trade out, they’ll just have to wait until the situations with Kawhi, Capela and the top RFA’s are done.
Vegeta10176
Sixth Man
And1: 243

Post#10 » by Vegeta10176 » Sat Jul 14, 2018 4:55 am

danfantastk32 wrote:Stupid

Your not getting anyone else this offseason, so just send him to the D-League....and ride the year out. Don't stretch him, are you fools? Why waste 3 more years tied to his contract? And don't give him to another team, or let him go have fun at your expense. Send his sorry ass to the D-League....and if that's not allowed, put him at the back of the bench, and if he doesn't show up to any games or practices......take it out of his wages.

Hard to sell shoes rotting on the bench. Hit him where it hurts. If he really wants out, he can negotiate. Don't just give it all to him. And for the love of god....don't stretch him!

And I don't even really like OKC all that much.....but damn you guys are being fools

Wow super dumb comment.. you realize by waiving him they are saving 100 million dollars.. You also realize even without him they are way over the cap so even if his stretched money is still on the cap or not it's irrelevant.. before you comment how about actually knowing something..
Mwd1981
Pro Prospect

Post#11 » by Mwd1981 » Sat Jul 14, 2018 5:01 am

IWishIWasHarden wrote:Based on that logic, it is not true. The Rockets have a lot of money tied up in Ryan Anderson who could form part of a deal.

Anderson + others are better than nothing if you aren't in a position to get high draft picks.

The real reason OKC won't trade him is because they want to not pay as much salary.

OKC will absolutely trade him!!!! Houston will absolutely not trade for him!!!
Mwd1981
Pro Prospect

Post#12 » by Mwd1981 » Sat Jul 14, 2018 5:02 am

Vegeta10176 wrote:

Wow super dumb comment.. you realize by waiving him they are saving 100 million dollars.. You also realize even without him they are way over the cap so even if his stretched money is still on the cap or not it's irrelevant.. before you comment how about actually knowing something..

+1
ChokeFasncists
RealGM
And1: 1,501

Post#13 » by ChokeFasncists » Sat Jul 14, 2018 5:55 am

Mwd1981 wrote:
Vegeta10176 wrote:

+1

Why not just give an and 1?

OP: Should have just give him the money under the table and asked him to opt out. Too late now.

j/k
MorbidHEAT wrote:My dislike for Lin started during Linsanity. It was absurd. It's probably irrational dislike at this point, but man he gets on my nerves. He's been tearing us up though.
Thanks for the honesty.
BallerTalk
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,816

Post#14 » by BallerTalk » Sat Jul 14, 2018 9:23 am

ChokeFasncists wrote:
Mwd1981 wrote:
Vegeta10176 wrote:

+1

OP: Should have just give him the money under the table and asked him to opt out. Too late now.

j/k

Carmelo Anthony mysteriously opting out of $28M dollars to sign for the MLE or less somewhere else?
Yeah that wouldn't have raised questions. :lol:
You checkin' for the sound of the beast
I'm the hound, I'ma creep, I get down, I'ma eat
I'ma keep somethin' to lay a naysayer to sleep
-
alienpick
Starter
And1: 619

Post#15 » by alienpick » Sat Jul 14, 2018 5:10 pm

IWishIWasHarden wrote:Based on that logic, it is not true. The Rockets have a lot of money tied up in Ryan Anderson who could form part of a deal.

OKC is looking to salary dump in order to avoid a huge luxury tax bill. Thats their main reason for all of this. They don't want to take on the same salary as Carmelo, otherwise they mine as well keep Carmelo; as they'd still have the same luxury tax bill. The only way your plan works is if they can dump Ryan in a trade where they take no money back during the season, which is extremely unlikely since the Rockets have been trying to offload the Ryan Anderson contract for the past few years with no success.
ChokeFasncists
RealGM
And1: 1,501

Post#16 » by ChokeFasncists » Sat Jul 14, 2018 7:12 pm

BallerTalk wrote:
ChokeFasncists wrote:
Mwd1981 wrote:
+1

j/k

Carmelo Anthony mysteriously opting out of $28M dollars to sign for the MLE or less somewhere else?

Yea, truly. Hey, just wanted to make sure, did you see the small words?
MorbidHEAT wrote:My dislike for Lin started during Linsanity. It was absurd. It's probably irrational dislike at this point, but man he gets on my nerves. He's been tearing us up though.
Thanks for the honesty.
BallerTalk
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,816

Post#17 » by BallerTalk » Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:29 pm

ChokeFasncists wrote:
BallerTalk wrote:
ChokeFasncists wrote:Why not just give an and 1?

j/k

Yea, truly. Hey, just wanted to make sure, did you see the small words?

Hence the :lol:
You checkin' for the sound of the beast
I'm the hound, I'ma creep, I get down, I'ma eat
I'ma keep somethin' to lay a naysayer to sleep
-

Return to Wiretap Discussion