Cavaliers Agree To Sign Channing Frye To One-Year, $2.4M Deal

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

Cavaliers Agree To Sign Channing Frye To One-Year, $2.4M Deal 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Sat Jul 14, 2018 5:30 pm

The Cleveland Cavaliers have signed Channing Frye to a one-year, $2.4 million deal.

Frye was traded by the Cavaliers to the Los Angeles Lakers at last year's deadline.

Via Shams Charania/Yahoo! Sports

Stillwater
RealGM
And1: 3,655

Re: Cavaliers Agree To Sign Channing Frye To One-Year, $2.4M Deal 

Post#2 » by Stillwater » Sat Jul 14, 2018 6:03 pm

solid locker room guy, nice move
SUNDOWN BRINGS A WELCOME CHANGE TO EVERYTHING THAT'S HIDING
ChokeFasncists
RealGM
And1: 1,501

Post#3 » by ChokeFasncists » Sat Jul 14, 2018 6:10 pm

Interesting stuff, so they really might not be tanking/rebuilding immediately.

Could it be cuz of the new probabilities in the new draft rules?
MorbidHEAT wrote:My dislike for Lin started during Linsanity. It was absurd. It's probably irrational dislike at this point, but man he gets on my nerves. He's been tearing us up though.
Thanks for the honesty.
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#4 » by Stillwater » Sat Jul 14, 2018 6:32 pm

ChokeFasncists wrote:Interesting stuff, so they really might not be tanking/rebuilding immediately.

no chance they tank, none
mg
General Manager
And1: 4,031

Post#5 » by mg » Sat Jul 14, 2018 6:46 pm

ChokeFasncists wrote:Interesting stuff, so they really might not be tanking/rebuilding immediately.

Not only that but the 2019 draft looks really shallow after the first four picks.
cavs4872
Senior
And1: 243

Post#6 » by cavs4872 » Sat Jul 14, 2018 7:23 pm

Really enjoyed this guy; kind of a novelty now that we don't have LeBron/aren't contending (thought it was a huge mistake they traded him just as a contract), but whatever - must've enjoyed his time here.

Stillwater wrote:

They won't tank, but a rebuild is definitely in order; it would be interesting to see them throw money at Hood and see how much they can get out of the current cast (won't be much), but the first time LeBron left it was pretty clear after the first preseason game the remnants weren't going to get it done. I do remember it was one of those scenarios where we had like five guys in double-figures (which will be a nice change from watching players watch LeBron).

Love is better than any player they had then, but we are stuck in the bottom of the conference... not going to sniff the eighth seed.
ChokeFasncists
RealGM

Post#7 » by ChokeFasncists » Sat Jul 14, 2018 7:32 pm

Stillwater wrote:

Yea, looks like it......Why tho?

No one wants to give up good stuff for the remaining guys?
MorbidHEAT wrote:My dislike for Lin started during Linsanity. It was absurd. It's probably irrational dislike at this point, but man he gets on my nerves. He's been tearing us up though.
Thanks for the honesty.
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#8 » by Stillwater » Sat Jul 14, 2018 7:45 pm

ChokeFasncists wrote:
Stillwater wrote:

Cavs would have to tank until Sextons rookie deal was over if they blew it up completely to reach the level of the top teams in the league right now. Too many good players on the roster to just cash it in though where playoff experience for the young players will be a win now move.
No point in bottoming out this season when you have an all star in Love at least 1 more season, several competent vets in Hill, Frye,Thompson, Clarkson and Korver and esp having a few promising young players in Sexton , Osman, Zizic,and maybe Preston.
The Cavs will push hard in the first half of the season to see what they have before making any tank type moves at the deadline if the first half was rotten. My guess is they are going to be a lot better than the NBA as a whole thinks they will be.
bqmuzik
Junior
And1: 62

Post#9 » by bqmuzik » Sat Jul 14, 2018 8:07 pm

I think they are a little better than expected. People like to say Lebron makes you better but in reality he makes the team better because he gets Ws....but the Cavs had no system other than watch Lebron and wait for what he decides to do every time down. Thats why it's silly for the Lakers to prioritize playmakers around him
Kurosawa0
Analyst
And1: 3,276

Post#10 » by Kurosawa0 » Sat Jul 14, 2018 9:53 pm

Weird. Would've thought the Lakers would try to keep him.
tigerae
Rookie
And1: 233

Re: RE: Re: Cavaliers Agree To Sign Channing Frye To One-Year, $2.4M Deal 

Post#11 » by tigerae » Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:10 pm

Kurosawa0 wrote:Weird. Would've thought the Lakers would try to keep him.
Guess he would have made too much sense. Would have been a nice addition to their bench, but not sure why shooters are not a priority for the Lakers. They can play make all they want, but without someone to make the shots it's gonna be tough.

LeBron obviously will get the Lakers wins and more than likely in to the playoffs, but it's gonna be hard to advance without getting some big help from the others being in the West now.

Cavs on the other hand will be decent being in the East. They may end up getting a low playoff spot but not make too much noise unless Love becomes the Wolves version and they get some help from one of the young guys by becoming a very consistent 2nd option.

Sent from my SM-G935T using RealGM mobile app
ChokeFasncists
RealGM

Post#12 » by ChokeFasncists » Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:25 pm

Stillwater wrote:
ChokeFasncists wrote:
Stillwater wrote:

Cavs would have to tank until Sextons rookie deal was over if they blew it up completely to reach the level of the top teams in the league right now. Too many good players on the roster to just cash it in though where playoff experience for the young players will be a win now move.
No point in bottoming out this season when you have an all star in Love at least 1 more season, several competent vets in Hill, Frye,Thompson, Clarkson and Korver and esp having a few promising young players in Sexton , Osman, Zizic,and maybe Preston.
The Cavs will push hard in the first half of the season to see what they have before making any tank type moves at the deadline if the first half was rotten. My guess is they are going to be a lot better than the NBA as a whole thinks they will be.

Yea, it probably makes more sense to have the guys pat their stats and then trade them at the trade deadline or next offseason than trading them now.
Thanks for the honesty.
Pickled Prunes
General Manager
And1: 1,213

Post#13 » by Pickled Prunes » Sun Jul 15, 2018 2:17 am

ChokeFasncists wrote:
Stillwater wrote:
ChokeFasncists wrote:Yea, looks like it......Why tho?

Yea, it probably makes more sense to have the guys pat their stats and then trade them at the trade deadline or next offseason than trading them now.

These guys could have home court in the East! :D

Thompson
Love
Korver/Hood?
Clarkson/JR?
Hill

The bench is pretty solid as well. CLE could get a better seed in the playoffs than LAL! :lol:
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#14 » by Stillwater » Sun Jul 15, 2018 2:46 am

Pickled Prunes wrote:
ChokeFasncists wrote:
Stillwater wrote: Cavs would have to tank until Sextons rookie deal was over if they blew it up completely to reach the level of the top teams in the league right now. Too many good players on the roster to just cash it in though where playoff experience for the young players will be a win now move.

Thompson
Love
Korver/Hood?
Clarkson/JR?
Hill

The bench is pretty solid as well. CLE could get a better seed in the playoffs than LAL! :lol:

gfys
The Cavs are better than anyone is giving them credit since James departure... but no one is dumb enough to think they are a contender.
Warchant
Analyst
And1: 1,265

Post#15 » by Warchant » Sun Jul 15, 2018 2:50 am

Pickled Prunes wrote:
ChokeFasncists wrote:
Stillwater wrote: Cavs would have to tank until Sextons rookie deal was over if they blew it up completely to reach the level of the top teams in the league right now. Too many good players on the roster to just cash it in though where playoff experience for the young players will be a win now move.

Thompson
Love
Korver/Hood?
Clarkson/JR?
Hill

What is that lineup gonna do.....all I heard is how LB was carrying trash and now that he is gone these guys can get home court....wow the excuses for the LB lovers
Warchant
Analyst
And1: 1,265

Post#16 » by Warchant » Sun Jul 15, 2018 2:52 am

Stillwater wrote:
ChokeFasncists wrote:
Stillwater wrote:

Nobody thinks they will be good cause they wont be good....35 wins is tops which will put them in a miserable spot
colaroaster
Sixth Man
And1: 796
Location: jp morgan, rockefellers, rothschild, vanderbilt, danny ainge

Post#17 » by colaroaster » Sun Jul 15, 2018 5:15 am

kendrick perkins and now channing frye.. bwahaha!!
Pickled Prunes
General Manager

Post#18 » by Pickled Prunes » Sun Jul 15, 2018 6:07 am

Stillwater wrote:
Pickled Prunes wrote:
ChokeFasncists wrote:Yea, it probably makes more sense to have the guys pat their stats and then trade them at the trade deadline or next offseason than trading them now.

Thompson
Love
Korver/Hood?
Clarkson/JR?
Hill

gfys
The Cavs are better than anyone is giving them credit since James departure... but no one is dumb enough to think they are a contender.

Woe Nelly! Who mentioned contention? They weren't contenders last year either. (Not really anyway!)

All I'm saying is... go look at the playoff rosters for last years MIA team. Is it better or worse than these CAVS? How about IND? The East is just worked.

If Gilbert is committed to making the playoffs they will make the playoffs. (Although they could use a backup PG!)
Pickled Prunes
General Manager

Post#19 » by Pickled Prunes » Sun Jul 15, 2018 6:28 am

Warchant wrote:
Pickled Prunes wrote:
ChokeFasncists wrote:Yea, it probably makes more sense to have the guys pat their stats and then trade them at the trade deadline or next offseason than trading them now.

Thompson
Love
Korver/Hood?
Clarkson/JR?
Hill

What is that lineup gonna do.....all I heard is how LB was carrying trash and now that he is gone these guys can get home court....wow the excuses for the LB lovers

Interesting! Did my statement give you the impression that I was a LB lover making excuses?

I would guess that that lineup will play ball at a level closer to their potential. It will really come down to how committed Gilbert is to winning. Winning might require a coach that can install an offense that is a little bit more than watching Lebron pound a hole in the top of the key; a coach that can get the most out of a group of guys that have all been better at their previous stops.
cavs4872
Senior
And1: 243

Post#20 » by cavs4872 » Sun Jul 15, 2018 6:45 am

I really think people are overestimating the Cavs' ceiling this season, which I think is like ninth in the east; Osman is every bit a scrub as Luke Harangody and Semih Erden. He's having a LeBron-esque Summer League, but that's to be expected; might as well put the guy at SG and give him the green light if people are so high on him - I mean, it's all a mindset. Right now he's playing with and against a bunch of guys trying to prove themselves and has a chip on his shoulder since he played key minutes on a Finals team with LeBron, but it would be nice if he could carry the confidence he's showing now into the season; he just gives me the vibe of someone who isn't built for it.

Love is still kind of young, but he and Sexton are a generation apart; we need Kyrie back... it can be his team again. :cry:

JR should be traded for any assets or even straight up waived as he has little to offer in the current situation; I'm kind of kidding about the waiving part, but not really - would really like to see Hood come back as the guy has potential and there is a hole at that position save Osman. We really have an influx of point guards with Sexton, Hill and Clarkson.

Pickled Prunes wrote:If Gilbert is committed to making the playoffs they will make the playoffs. (Although they could use a backup PG!)

Sexton, Hill and Clarkson... how about a SF?

Return to Wiretap Discussion