Re: Raptors Told DeMar DeRozan At Summer League He Wouldn't Be Traded

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

Raptors Told DeMar DeRozan At Summer League He Wouldn't Be Traded 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Wed Jul 18, 2018 1:19 pm

The Toronto Raptors met with DeMar DeRozan in Las Vegas during Summer League and told him he would not be traded.

DeRozan, however, was traded on Wednesday in Toronto's deal with the San Antonio Spurs for Kawhi Leonard.

In a story posted on his Instagram page on Wednesday morning, DeRozan wrote, "Be told one thing & the outcome another. Can't trust em. Ain't no loyalty in this game. Sell you out quick for a little bit of nothing... Soon you'll understand... Don't disturb..."

Neither DeRozan or Leonard are expressing enthusiasm for the trade.

Via Chris Haynes/ESPN

dan-man
Sixth Man
And1: 364

Post#2 » by dan-man » Wed Jul 18, 2018 2:32 pm

Is what it is. Be happy someone wants you after the $hit $how you bring in the playoffs. Maybe POP can make you right.
Stillwater
RealGM
And1: 3,655

Post#3 » by Stillwater » Wed Jul 18, 2018 4:26 pm

A lot of people wear their emotions on their sleeve , and he was already known to be one of those types of people.
I think SA will get more out of him tbh.
SUNDOWN BRINGS A WELCOME CHANGE TO EVERYTHING THAT'S HIDING
HighUpNorth
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,868

Post#4 » by HighUpNorth » Wed Jul 18, 2018 4:47 pm

Raptors just **** themselves.
Dolphin Lips
Pro Prospect
And1: 48

Post#5 » by Dolphin Lips » Wed Jul 18, 2018 5:25 pm

HighUpNorth wrote:Raptors just **** themselves.

Please explain...This guy is harder than finding Waldo in the playoffs
STOP STEALING MY AVATARS

artsncrafts
RealGM
And1: 25,039

Post#6 » by artsncrafts » Wed Jul 18, 2018 6:01 pm

Masai has publicly stated many times everyone is available for trade this summer so someone has got their sources crossed. Is it DD? Is it whoever was talking to DD at Summer League?
Harold_and_Kumar wrote:What if the 10 incher was overrated and the 4 incher was too small for any playing time, but the 7 incher was a perfect fit for our roster and the 5 incher was good for specific situations, like backdoor cuts?
mplsfonz23
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,310

Post#7 » by mplsfonz23 » Wed Jul 18, 2018 6:20 pm

If goes thru and KL leaves after one season, they are going to be in cap hell.
Raptors are screwed. Spurs just got better considering how far they went without KL.
hyberx
Starter
And1: 384

Post#8 » by hyberx » Wed Jul 18, 2018 6:22 pm

Dolphin Lips wrote:
HighUpNorth wrote:Raptors just **** themselves.

Please explain...This guy is harder than finding Waldo in the playoffs

DeRozan's game is solid but his lack of a consistent 3pter means his team system need to compliment that. Also you need a good defense in the playoff to win. Spurs can offer those.

Meanwhile, Raptors got Kawhi on a 1 year rental, not knowing if he will be healthy or will even stay. So yes, they are ****ed.
artsncrafts
RealGM

Post#9 » by artsncrafts » Wed Jul 18, 2018 6:27 pm

mplsfonz23 wrote:If goes thru and KL leaves after one season, they are going to be in cap hell.
Raptors are screwed. Spurs just got better considering how far they went without KL.

Cap hell? They cleared cap space with this deal..
Harold_and_Kumar wrote:What if the 10 incher was overrated and the 4 incher was too small for any playing time, but the 7 incher was a perfect fit for our roster and the 5 incher was good for specific situations, like backdoor cuts?
gokings2010
Sophomore
And1: 6

Post#10 » by gokings2010 » Wed Jul 18, 2018 6:35 pm

I think DD is a good player and isnt the type of player to win games all by himself like most elite players but I wouldnt have traded him for a 1yr rental. Kwahi is a great player but prob a player of the system. ALot of decent players looked great under POP. I still think Kwahi needs ppl around him and I dont think Lowry is the answer. DD and Leonard would have been better on the same team together than being traded for each other. I think Toronto lost this trade as they basically get a 1 yr rental and lose their best asset for trades in landing a player that wants to be there long term.
mplsfonz23
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,310

Post#11 » by mplsfonz23 » Wed Jul 18, 2018 6:52 pm

artsncrafts wrote:
mplsfonz23 wrote:If goes thru and KL leaves after one season, they are going to be in cap hell.

They saved some luxury tax but not cap. Maybe in 20/21. Right now the lux tax is killing them. GL trying to attract any good FA's after that.

“Toronto will have $101.6M in guaranteed salary and will be over the salary cap based on the team options of Pascal Siakam ($2.4M), Malachi Richardson ($2.6M), OG Anunoby ($2.3M) and $7.6M free agent hold of Delon Wright. The Raptors could create some flexibility if Jonas Valanciunas ($17.6M) and CJ Miles ($8.7M) opt-out of their contract.”
artsncrafts
RealGM

Post#12 » by artsncrafts » Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:11 pm

mplsfonz23 wrote:
artsncrafts wrote:

They saved some luxury tax but not cap. Maybe in 20/21. Right now the lux tax is killing them. GL trying to attract any good FA's after that.

“Toronto will have $101.6M in guaranteed salary and will be over the salary cap based on the team options of Pascal Siakam ($2.4M), Malachi Richardson ($2.6M), OG Anunoby ($2.3M) and $7.6M free agent hold of Delon Wright. The Raptors could create some flexibility if Jonas Valanciunas ($17.6M) and CJ Miles ($8.7M) opt-out of their contract.”

I still dont understand...the Raptors sent out almost exactly the same (about $100,000 more actually) in salary for 2019 than they recieved. So 2019 cap is the same or slightly better than before the trade. They save about $32,000,000 in 2020 on Poetl/DD so I am still unclear where the cap hell fits in with this trade, especially in relation to KL walking.
colaroaster
Sixth Man
And1: 796
Location: jp morgan, rockefellers, rothschild, vanderbilt, danny ainge

Post#13 » by colaroaster » Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:14 pm

embrace it buddy, your new home's a million times better
Reflexx
Sophomore
And1: 51

Re: Re: Raptors Told DeMar DeRozan At Summer League He Wouldn't Be Traded 

Post#14 » by Reflexx » Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:31 pm

Business is business, but it's pretty jacked up to tell someone one thing and then turn around and do the opposite.
Psubs
RealGM
And1: 10,633

Post#15 » by Psubs » Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:50 pm

dan-man wrote:Is what it is. Be happy someone wants you after the $hit $how you bring in the playoffs. Maybe POP can make you right.

I think Pop knows what he's getting from time with Team USA. Maybe he can help Derozan grow some more.
Psubs
RealGM
And1: 10,633

Post#16 » by Psubs » Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:52 pm

gokings2010 wrote:I think DD is a good player and isnt the type of player to win games all by himself like most elite players but I wouldnt have traded him for a 1yr rental. Kwahi is a great player but prob a player of the system. ALot of decent players looked great under POP. I still think Kwahi needs ppl around him and I dont think Lowry is the answer. DD and Leonard would have been better on the same team together than being traded for each other. I think Toronto lost this trade as they basically get a 1 yr rental and lose their best asset for trades in landing a player that wants to be there long term.

He's now not running screens, he's taking the ball from the top and beating teams in P&R or iso.
JonFromVA
RealGM
And1: 4,382

Post#17 » by JonFromVA » Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:05 pm

I dunno ... if I was an NBA GM, I'd respond with something like "We're not looking to trade you DeMar. We consider you an important and core member of our group and part of our future moving forward.", and if he kept pushing it further, I'd add "My job is to consider all options to improve our team.". If he put my foot to the coals, I'd also add, "Just keep in mind, it's not actually my call. I work for the owner of the team just like you do. We're all bound by our duties to the team and our contracts and well compensated in exchange for the privilege."

So, what I'm saying is that without direct quotes, it's difficult to judge whether DeRozan was betrayed.
NashtyNas
RealGM
And1: 1,887

Post#18 » by NashtyNas » Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:56 pm

gokings2010 wrote:I think DD is a good player and isnt the type of player to win games all by himself like most elite players but I wouldnt have traded him for a 1yr rental. Kwahi is a great player but prob a player of the system. ALot of decent players looked great under POP. I still think Kwahi needs ppl around him and I dont think Lowry is the answer. DD and Leonard would have been better on the same team together than being traded for each other. I think Toronto lost this trade as they basically get a 1 yr rental and lose their best asset for trades in landing a player that wants to be there long term.

Not. sure. if. serious. :roll:

The underappreciated greats:

Some seek fame cause they need validation, some say hating is confused admiration - Nasty, nasty Nas
ChokeFasncists
RealGM
And1: 1,501

Post#19 » by ChokeFasncists » Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:03 pm

Reflexx wrote:Business is business, but it's pretty jacked up to tell someone one thing and then turn around and do the opposite.

I can understand when the deals are not done, GMs don't want things to leak out.
MorbidHEAT wrote:My dislike for Lin started during Linsanity. It was absurd. It's probably irrational dislike at this point, but man he gets on my nerves. He's been tearing us up though.
Thanks for the honesty.
dan-man
Sixth Man
And1: 364

Post#20 » by dan-man » Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:04 pm

Reflexx wrote:Business is business, but it's pretty jacked up to tell someone one thing and then turn around and do the opposite.

Not that jacked up. I'm guessing he misunderstood what was said and even if that was said, new scenarios unfold every day. Be a pro and honor your contract with enthusiasm and appreciation for the opportunity you have been given. Your NBA career will be done before you know it.

Return to Wiretap Discussion