Re: Kawhi Leonard's Camp Made It Clear He Had No Interest In Joining Raptors

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 292

Kawhi Leonard's Camp Made It Clear He Had No Interest In Joining Raptors 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:19 pm

Kawhi Leonard's camp made it clear to the Toronto Raptors and other teams over the past week that he had no interest in being traded there, according to sources.

The Raptors still moved forward with a trade for Leonard on Wednesday.

Masai Ujiri believes he can convince Leonard on the Raptors, but they could also trade him before the deadline if they get the sense he still intends to leave in free agency.

Leonard played in just nine games last season and the status of his quad is one of the biggest uncertainties in the NBA.

Via Zach Lowe/ESPN

Yuri Vaultin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 14,276

Post#2 » by Yuri Vaultin » Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:28 pm

Tough titty. Uncle Dennis and co are not only ruining Leonard''s marketability but they are making him flat-out unlikable. Why even have contracts if your word and signature isn't worth the ink in the pen?
Props to Turbo_Zone for the sig.
AK47MVP
Starter
And1: 1,591

Post#3 » by AK47MVP » Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:37 pm

Interest or not he will need to honour the contract and play. If he does not play he loses tons of money and FA status.
CIN-C-STAR
Head Coach
And1: 16,296

Post#4 » by CIN-C-STAR » Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:45 pm

And Pop & The Spurs made it even more clear... they don't give a crap what he wants, nor should they after he tried to stab them in the back by tanking his own trade value :lol:
"I'd rather have Kevin Love spacing out to the three point line than anything (Karl) Malone brings"
:lol: :lol: :lol:
hyberx
Starter
And1: 384

Post#5 » by hyberx » Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:05 pm

So clearly the Raptors look at this as a positive either Kawhi sign with them again or not. If he does stay and are healthy, it is a clear win. If he leaves, they just look at it as a salary dump of DeRozan, whom they must get rid of after all these disappointing playoffs. They will just rebuild if Kawhi leaves.

Guess the Lakers are laughing and starting to clear up enough cap space now.
ChokeFasncists
RealGM
And1: 1,501

Re: Re: Kawhi Leonard's Camp Made It Clear He Had No Interest In Joining Raptors 

Post#6 » by ChokeFasncists » Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:10 pm

Oh no, is this saga gonna keep going?

Is he gonna fake another injury to force a trade to LaVar?

Or is he gonna be content selling shoes along with his uncle getting clients in Canada?
MorbidHEAT wrote:My dislike for Lin started during Linsanity. It was absurd. It's probably irrational dislike at this point, but man he gets on my nerves. He's been tearing us up though.
Thanks for the honesty.
Hoopzilla
Starter
And1: 520

Post#7 » by Hoopzilla » Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:14 pm

Kawhi tried a power play and demanded the Lakers. LA doesn't want to give up assets to get him and 28 other teams don't care what Kawhi's uncle thinks. He will report to Toronto or lose his salary and be levied a hefty fine. The league would want to make an example of this before all hell breaks loose. Players would feel like they can do what they want and contracts would no longer have a meaning aside from saying how much they get paid. The NBA should protect the owners and put Kawhi in his place if he refuses to report. He can leave at the end of the year if he wants, but he is probably in for the coldest winter he has ever had in NBA Siberia. The Spurs got the last laugh here even though they lost the best player in the deal.
Slacktard
RealGM
And1: 17,602

Post#8 » by Slacktard » Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:39 pm

AK47MVP wrote:Interest or not he will need to honour the contract and play. If he does not play he loses tons of money and FA status.

He can play the injury card and say he still has pain in his leg. You can't with 100% medical certainty clear him and say "He's fine, but making it up"
gdog2004
Starter
And1: 706

Post#9 » by gdog2004 » Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:42 pm

Who the hell is "advising" Kawhi ? Nerlens Noel ? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
dan-man
Sixth Man
And1: 364

Post#10 » by dan-man » Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:58 pm

Should make for some nice drama this season. Getting my popcorn buttered and ready.
gordoncatrell
Sixth Man
And1: 178

Post#11 » by gordoncatrell » Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:04 pm

dan-man wrote:Should make for some nice drama this season. Getting my popcorn buttered and ready.

Yep
Plus: KP V fizzy/NY, Kat v Minn, AD, Giannis, GSW boredom infighting, BronInc turf war....
tigerae
Rookie
And1: 233

Re: RE: Re: Kawhi Leonard's Camp Made It Clear He Had No Interest In Joining Raptors 

Post#12 » by tigerae » Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:39 pm

Yuri Vaultin wrote:Tough titty. Uncle Dennis and co are not only ruining Leonard''s marketability but they are making him flat-out unlikable. Why even have contracts if your word and signature isn't worth the ink in the pen?
This should go both ways. Obviously SA messed up with handling his injury somewhere and instead of having his back and talking to him Pop and Parker talked out of turn to the media.

In terms of Toronto, while I'm sure he will play if he's 100%, they certainly didn't start off on the right foot in terms of trying to keep him. They traded away the only superstar that was willing to resign with them and to top it off they basically guaranteed/promised Derozan that he wouldn't get traded during the Summer League. To me that's a PR and recruiting nightmare if you plan on getting superstars in the future. Should have just been honest with him or avoided a promise at least. Tell him we don't want to trade you but we are looking at all avenues currently to make our team better.

Potentially they could turn around in a couple months and end up trading Kawhi to one of the LA teams, but as a superstar I would be hesitant to sign while this management is still there, knowing they can just trade you away in the middle of your contract.

As for San Antonio, they shot themselves in the foot imo with Derozan's contract. Especially if Ingram was indeed on the table. Ingram has a much higher ceiling (KD type player). Sure Derozan is the best player on paper now, but who knows how much better Ingram will be in a year or two, even more so if he was coached by Pop.

As for KL being likeable, I'm sure he isn't and won't ever be as hated as KD is now for selling out. Whatever team he decides to go to next year, their fans will welcome him with open arms.

Sent from my SM-G935T using RealGM mobile app
likashing
Head Coach
And1: 1,959

Post#13 » by likashing » Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:26 pm

Steve Francis #2?
Mark Jackson wrote:Playoff preparation is overrated... I’m going to get my rest. I’m not going to grow old and be stressed out and get gray hair.
WindyCityBorn
RealGM
And1: 10,788

Post#14 » by WindyCityBorn » Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:28 pm

Slacktard wrote:
AK47MVP wrote:Interest or not he will need to honour the contract and play. If he does not play he loses tons of money and FA status.

He can play the injury card and say he still has pain in his leg. You can't with 100% medical certainty clear him and say "He's fine, but making it up"

Sure he can if wants to become the most hated player in the NBA and a pariah. Why would the Lakers want a guy that refuses to play when healthy? He could easily pull the same stunt on them if things go sour.
xdrta+
General Manager
And1: 7,242

Post#15 » by xdrta+ » Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:30 pm

Slacktard wrote:

Actually, they can. If his doctor and the team doctor can't agree, the league will appoint a neutral medical team that will decide.
Dr Huge Pecs
Senior
And1: 79

Post#16 » by Dr Huge Pecs » Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:36 pm

xdrta+ wrote:
Slacktard wrote:

Actually, they can. If his doctor and the team doctor can't agree, the league will appoint a neutral medical team that will decide.

Should have done that last season. Oh well spurs are better off without kawhi and his uncle.
Fadeaway_J
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 6,784

Post#17 » by Fadeaway_J » Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:37 pm

Now that the trade is actually done, the prudent thing for Kawhi would be to get back out there and reestablish himself as a (healthy) top 5 player, then sign with the Lakers next summer. I don't see any benefit to him holding himself out - it's not like the Raptors are going to waive him, and the Lakers have no imperative to give up assets to get him.
likashing
Head Coach
And1: 1,959

Post#18 » by likashing » Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:37 pm

By not taking the Spurs' $221m/5, Kawhi gave up *at least* $31m by getting himself traded. Pop and co must be really **** up for someone to forgo $31m.
Mark Jackson wrote:Playoff preparation is overrated... I’m going to get my rest. I’m not going to grow old and be stressed out and get gray hair.
Dr Huge Pecs
Senior
And1: 79

Post#19 » by Dr Huge Pecs » Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:40 pm

gdog2004 wrote:Who the hell is "advising" Kawhi ? Nerlens Noel ? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Lol
He read Nolens book "how to destroy a promising career in one off season."
Nikola
Pro Prospect
And1: 333

Post#20 » by Nikola » Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:52 am

Most unlikeable guy in the NBA right now. Not a professional. Hopefully the Lakers low ball him next year since he has shown all of his cards.

Return to Wiretap Discussion