Dirk Nowitzki, Mavericks To Sign One-Year, $5M Deal

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 291

Dirk Nowitzki, Mavericks To Sign One-Year, $5M Deal 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Thu Jul 19, 2018 6:09 pm

Dirk Nowitzki and the Dallas Mavericks plan to finalize a one-year deal worth $5 million.

Nowitzki and the Mavericks are not in a rush to sign the actual contract.

Nowitzki, 40, averaged 12 points and 5.7 rebounds in 24.7 minutes per game in 77 contests last season. He underwent minor surgery on his left ankle in April but announced he would play at least one more season.

zabd90
Ballboy
And1: 5

Re: Dirk Nowitzki, Mavericks To Sign One-Year, $5M Deal 

Post#2 » by zabd90 » Thu Jul 19, 2018 6:20 pm

damn disco dirk, hang it up brother nothing left to prove
JeSuns
Ballboy
And1: 3

Post#3 » by JeSuns » Thu Jul 19, 2018 6:25 pm

zabd90 wrote:damn disco dirk, hang it up brother nothing left to prove

I guess he just enjoys it
ninjagerbil
Ballboy
And1: 12

Post#4 » by ninjagerbil » Thu Jul 19, 2018 6:36 pm

zabd90 wrote:damn disco dirk, hang it up brother nothing left to prove

He could surpass Wilt and become 5th all time in points, until LeBron passes them both.
Hoopzilla
Starter
And1: 520

Post#5 » by Hoopzilla » Thu Jul 19, 2018 6:44 pm

Ouch. Greatest player in franchise history signs for less than Yogi Ferrell. The Mavs sure are a classy organisation... :lol:
JoePoison
Ballboy
And1: 1

Post#6 » by JoePoison » Thu Jul 19, 2018 7:17 pm

Hoopzilla wrote:Ouch. Greatest player in franchise history signs for less than Yogi Ferrell. The Mavs sure are a classy organisation... :lol:

So, 2,6m per year is more than 5m per year?
SKG
Sixth Man
And1: 933

Post#7 » by SKG » Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:02 pm

JoePoison wrote:
Hoopzilla wrote:Ouch. Greatest player in franchise history signs for less than Yogi Ferrell. The Mavs sure are a classy organisation... :lol:

gordoncatrell
Sixth Man
And1: 178

Post#8 » by gordoncatrell » Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:36 pm

plz let this be the last season...tough to watch him on the court getting worked by opponents he wouldve feasted on in his prime...
likashing
Head Coach
And1: 1,959

Post#9 » by likashing » Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:24 pm

And the Spurs exiled Parker because of $5m.

Now let's start the Parker is not Nowitzki argument. But please kindly mention who on your favorite team in the last 20 years have greater achievements and tenure than Parker to the Spurs.
Mark Jackson wrote:Playoff preparation is overrated... I’m going to get my rest. I’m not going to grow old and be stressed out and get gray hair.
Hoopzilla
Starter
And1: 520

Post#10 » by Hoopzilla » Fri Jul 20, 2018 2:06 am

SKG wrote:
JoePoison wrote:

To say that was an oversight on my part is an understatement. I thought Yogi had a one year deal as well. :banghead: :lol:
ChokeFasncists
RealGM
And1: 1,501

Post#11 » by ChokeFasncists » Fri Jul 20, 2018 2:09 am

likashing wrote:And the Spurs exiled Parker because of $5m.

Now let's start the Parker is not Nowitzki argument. But please kindly mention who on your favorite team in the last 20 years have greater achievements and tenure than Parker to the Spurs.

I think it was more of a pt problem for tp.
MorbidHEAT wrote:My dislike for Lin started during Linsanity. It was absurd. It's probably irrational dislike at this point, but man he gets on my nerves. He's been tearing us up though.
Thanks for the honesty.
Pickled Prunes
Head Coach
And1: 1,202

Post#12 » by Pickled Prunes » Fri Jul 20, 2018 3:33 am

ChokeFasncists wrote:
likashing wrote:And the Spurs exiled Parker because of $5m.

I think it was more of a pt problem for tp.

Agreed. I believe the SAS would have matched that offer if Parker wanted to stay. He averaged less than 20 minutes per game behind Murray and Mills. Now he's out in CHA with his buddy Batum. It was a lifestyle decision.
Pickled Prunes
Head Coach

Post#13 » by Pickled Prunes » Fri Jul 20, 2018 3:51 am

gordoncatrell wrote:plz let this be the last season...tough to watch him on the court getting worked by opponents he wouldve feasted on in his prime...

Why should "great" players quit when they decline to being "pretty good" or even "just OK" players? Dirk is still in the top 25% in PER and shot 41% from 3pt last season. I still love to watch him play; he can stay as long as he likes!

BTW- Ersan Ilyasova just got 3-years/$21M and it was a pretty good get. Are you suggesting that you would rather have him than Dirk? I'll take Dirk all day!

40yo Dirk > prime Ilyasova
HeatRing2012
Bench Warmer
And1: 291

Post#14 » by HeatRing2012 » Fri Jul 20, 2018 5:33 am

gordoncatrell wrote:plz let this be the last season...tough to watch him on the court getting worked by opponents he wouldve feasted on in his prime...

I don't watch that many Mavs games. but whenever he played the Heat or when I randomly switched channels, it was Dirk who was still feasting on opponents. granted, he is now outplaying Cs rather than opposing PFs (due to him being arguably the slowest player in the NBA), but he is still outplaying them.

from a statistical point of view, he had one of the most efficient seasons of his career with 40 years of age. why should he quit then when he is clearly amongst the better starters in the league ?
pass_it_around
Ballboy
And1: 4

Post#15 » by pass_it_around » Fri Jul 20, 2018 7:33 am

it looks as if dirk is deathly afraid of what he would do after retirement. lol
Ballerhogger
RealGM
And1: 16,798

Post#16 » by Ballerhogger » Fri Jul 20, 2018 2:08 pm

Surely his last year
gordoncatrell
Sixth Man
And1: 178

Post#17 » by gordoncatrell » Fri Jul 20, 2018 4:46 pm

Pickled Prunes wrote:

Why should "great" players quit when they decline to being "pretty good" or even "just OK" players? Dirk is still in the top 25% in PER and shot 41% from 3pt last season. I still love to watch him play; he can stay as long as he likes!

BTW- Ersan Ilyasova just got 3-years/$21M and it was a pretty good get. Are you suggesting that you would rather have him than Dirk? I'll take Dirk all day!

DIRKs rearview mirror is his Legendary career. That's the legend id like to see preserved.

he can still hit an open jumper; as an afterthought on Offense, he's their 3rd progression option.
he'd be murder in Cube's 3x3 league.
he gets bullied, he's constantly getting pushed around on the court. it's tough to watch.
when guys are running/cutting/leaping for the rim; Dirk gets panicked and ends up under the net bc he's physically fragile. he plays in constant fear of injury. you can see it with his flinching at the point of contact (Pau does the same).
he lumbers up/down the court like Kenny Smith runs to the "bigscreen to analyze plays".

the LEGEND should be allowed pick when to quit. Im giving my opinion that it's tough to see the guy be insta-flincher when the opp plays come at him.

ps - dont put ERSAN in the same sentence as Dirk. that's an insult to Dirk. Dirk should only be comped to Dirk.
Pickled Prunes
Head Coach

Post#18 » by Pickled Prunes » Sat Jul 21, 2018 6:23 pm

gordoncatrell wrote:
Pickled Prunes wrote:

DIRKs rearview mirror is his Legendary career. That's the legend id like to see preserved.

he can still hit an open jumper; as an afterthought on Offense, he's their 3rd progression option.
he'd be murder in Cube's 3x3 league.
he gets bullied, he's constantly getting pushed around on the court. it's tough to watch.
when guys are running/cutting/leaping for the rim; Dirk gets panicked and ends up under the net bc he's physically fragile. he plays in constant fear of injury. you can see it with his flinching at the point of contact (Pau does the same).
he lumbers up/down the court like Kenny Smith runs to the "bigscreen to analyze plays".

the LEGEND should be allowed pick when to quit. Im giving my opinion that it's tough to see the guy be insta-flincher when the opp plays come at him.

ps - dont put ERSAN in the same sentence as Dirk. that's an insult to Dirk. Dirk should only be comped to Dirk.

I think you're ignoring the fact that Dirk is still having fun. He does get worked from time to time but he is also still a tough cover. It's a game and he clearly still wants to play it.

If you think my Ersan comp was insulting to Dirk then you might not be listening... but how's Vince's legacy? Grant hill? Manu? Ray Allen? Pippin? Kareem?

Come on, man.... let the boys play!

Return to Wiretap Discussion