Dennis Robertson Attended Kawhi Leonard's Meeting With Raptors

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

Dennis Robertson Attended Kawhi Leonard's Meeting With Raptors 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Mon Jul 23, 2018 12:58 pm

When Kawhi Leonard met with the Toronto Raptors on Friday, he was joined by his advisor Dennis Robertson.

Robertson is also Leonard's uncle.

According to sources, the meeting with Leonard went well. The Raptors also published a photo of Leonard with Masai Ujiri and Bobby Webster.

Reports in the media following Leonard's trade to the Raptors indicated he had no interest playing for the franchise. The Raptors are hoping they can convince Leonard to ultimately re-sign with the franchise despite his apparent interest in playing in Los Angeles.

Via Doug Smith/Toronto Star

PhilippineBulls
Junior
And1: 448

Re: Dennis Robertson Attended Kawhi Leonard's Meeting With Raptors 

Post#2 » by PhilippineBulls » Mon Jul 23, 2018 2:57 pm

I heard Dennis Robertson did all the talking.
Sam195
Analyst
And1: 310

Post#3 » by Sam195 » Mon Jul 23, 2018 3:03 pm

PhilippineBulls wrote:I heard Dennis Robertson did all the talking.

Uncle Dennis for the win. Cost his nephew 80M in guaranteed dollars coming off a major injury. Kawhi turned down a 5 year $221M supermax extension with the Spurs in income tax free Texas. And next summer he will either resign a 5 year 190M max contract with the raptors in high tax Canada or leave in free agency to sign a shorter 4 year 141M max in high tax LA. Boy I wish I had this Uncle he burns money faster than a mooch relative because he is just a plain old idiot.
Harry Garris
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 13,556

Post#4 » by Harry Garris » Mon Jul 23, 2018 3:09 pm

Sam195 wrote:

Uncle Dennis for the win. Cost his nephew 80M in guaranteed dollars coming off a major injury. Kawhi turned down a 5 year $221M supermax extension with the Spurs in income tax free Texas. And next summer he will either resign a 5 year 190M max contract with the raptors in high tax Canada or leave in free agency to sign a shorter 4 year 141M max in high tax LA. Boy I wish I had this Uncle he burns money faster than a mooch relative because he is just a plain old idiot.

I don't think the Spurs offered Kawhi the supermax extension. Besides, he wanted out of there. I don't think money is his #1 priority.
deeps6x
General Manager
And1: 5,881

Post#5 » by deeps6x » Mon Jul 23, 2018 3:10 pm

Sam195 wrote:

HighER tax LA. Just to be clear, it is more in LA when you combine State and Federal tax than in Ontario with Provincial and Federal tax.
BoyzNTheHood wrote:I apologize, I have incredibly small genitalia
Portlander
Freshman
And1: 1

Post#6 » by Portlander » Mon Jul 23, 2018 3:28 pm

Seriously...who knows what, if anything, is in Kawhi Leonard's mind. He's broken, and SAS would have paid the biggest bucks for that. Still, he wanted out, so he at least got someone willing to buy into the hype and mystique of his name and his broken body, for lessor, but still, big, big bucks. Go figure!

And will someone please explain to me how this paragraph below, makes any sense what-so-ever?
"Reports in the media following Leonard's trade to the Raptors indicated he had no interest playing for the franchise. The Raptors are hoping they can convince Leonard to ultimately re-sign with the franchise despite his apparent interest in playing in Los Angeles."

He doesn't want to play for them AND they are hoping he'll sign up for the future with them! How do either of these things even happen? HA! Again, go figure!
gp2015
RealGM
And1: 10,140

Post#7 » by gp2015 » Mon Jul 23, 2018 3:41 pm

Portlander wrote:Seriously...who knows what, if anything, is in Kawhi Leonard's mind. He's broken, and SAS would have paid the biggest bucks for that. Still, he wanted out, so he at least got someone willing to buy into the hype and mystique of his name and his broken body, for lessor, but still, big, big bucks. Go figure!

And will someone please explain to me how this paragraph below, makes any sense what-so-ever?
"Reports in the media following Leonard's trade to the Raptors indicated he had no interest playing for the franchise. The Raptors are hoping they can convince Leonard to ultimately re-sign with the franchise despite his apparent interest in playing in Los Angeles."

He doesn't want to play for them AND they are hoping he'll sign up for the future with them! How do either of these things even happen? HA! Again, go figure!

According to everyone in the world, PG was going to sign in L.A as well. Where is he now?

Perhaps you shouldn't always buy into the crap that the media is shoveling?
"I'm doing what I love to do. So if I can never walk again because of what I love to do, that's a chance I'll take. I'll die on the court." - Alvin Williams
NoZoLakers
General Manager
And1: 3,358

Post#8 » by NoZoLakers » Mon Jul 23, 2018 4:48 pm

gp2015 wrote:
Portlander wrote:Seriously...who knows what, if anything, is in Kawhi Leonard's mind. He's broken, and SAS would have paid the biggest bucks for that. Still, he wanted out, so he at least got someone willing to buy into the hype and mystique of his name and his broken body, for lessor, but still, big, big bucks. Go figure!

According to everyone in the world, PG was going to sign in L.A as well. Where is he now?

leonard might not go la but he certainly isnt staying in tor, pg ended up staying with okc due to his friendship with an mvp tripple double machine, tor has lowry :lol:
bb22
Starter
And1: 984

Post#9 » by bb22 » Mon Jul 23, 2018 5:13 pm

Raps fans are so hopeful. He will probably provide a good season (or half season), but the only thing motivating this guy is his eventual departure and new contract in LA. He knows he can still sign another massive contract after the one he signs next offseason.
pkiskool
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,073

Post#10 » by pkiskool » Mon Jul 23, 2018 5:25 pm

Sam195 wrote:

The tax difference is only about 6% from Texas to Ontario for the top bracket.
Sure it ends up being a big number for such huge salaries, but remember that they get paid and taxed to wherever they play PER GAME meaning not all games will be taxed at Ontario rate.
It's not that big of a loss at the end of the day for these guys, especially when they can generate even greater revenue at bigger markets via other methods (e.g. endorsement and ads), and we all know Toronto >>> San Antonio for that matter.
Sam195
Analyst

Post#11 » by Sam195 » Mon Jul 23, 2018 5:33 pm

deeps6x wrote:
Sam195 wrote:

HighER tax LA. Just to be clear, it is more in LA when you combine State and Federal tax than in Ontario with Provincial and Federal tax.

Lol Canada has 5% GST sales tax nationwide and almost every province aside from Alberta has a provincial sales tax much higher than any you can find in the states. The Raptors cannot compete with US teams for marquee free agents unless Trudope creates some type of tax credit to level the playing field for taxes paid by pro athletes in both Canada and the US. However, clearly the Drama Teacher does not understand basic economics taxing the rich and corporations more while the US under Trump undercuts them in the middle of a trade war. Canada is facing record lows in foreign direct investment which is soon going to rear end economic growth and trigger a recession up North faster than down South.
Sam195
Analyst

Post#12 » by Sam195 » Mon Jul 23, 2018 5:43 pm

pkiskool wrote:
Sam195 wrote:

The tax difference is only about 6% from Texas to Ontario for the top bracket.
Sure it ends up being a big number for such huge salaries, but remember that they get paid and taxed to wherever they play PER GAME meaning not all games will be taxed at Ontario rate.
It's not that big of a loss at the end of the day for these guys, especially when they can generate even greater revenue at bigger markets via other methods (e.g. endorsement and ads), and we all know Toronto >>> San Antonio for that matter.

Nope the per game taxes paid are deductible in both the US and Canada - the players in income tax free states actually deduct the taxes paid for games in other states off the total they owe the Federal government. The only cost to them is the time value of the money since they would not get their total after tax windfall till after they file their returns with their upscale business managers and accountants. This is a major reason why Dwight Howard left the Lakers for the Rockets in 2013 - he made more after taxes on a 4 year contract with the Rockets than he did with the 5 year offer from the Lakers. Add to that the state income tax savings on endorsements like James Harden's 200M shoe deal with Adidas. State taxes are a bigger consideration in hard cap sports like the nhl and nfl. Steven Stamkos and Nikita Kucherov resigned with the Tampa Bay Lighting for 8.5M AAV and 9.5M AAV respectively despite producing more as a duo than Jonathan Toews and Patrick Kane in Chicago who are signed for 10.5 AAV. Recent Norris Trophy Winners Victor Hedman resigned with Tampa on an 7.75 AAV and PK Subban waived his ntc with 9M AAV to Nashville while Drew Doughty who carries similar production reupped with the LA Kings for a much higher 11M AAV.
ontnut
RealGM
And1: 8,038

Post#13 » by ontnut » Mon Jul 23, 2018 6:10 pm

Lol who's the 15 year old kid reporter in the picture?
Double Bubble
Sixth Man
And1: 1,284

Post#14 » by Double Bubble » Mon Jul 23, 2018 6:13 pm

BallnIngram wrote:
gp2015 wrote:

leonard might not go la but he certainly isnt staying in tor, pg ended up staying with okc due to his friendship with an mvp tripple double machine, tor has lowry :lol:
OKC just barely made the playoffs and got bounced in the first round by Utah. Toronto is a legit threat to come out of the east.

Try harder next time champ
NoZoLakers
General Manager

Post#15 » by NoZoLakers » Mon Jul 23, 2018 6:16 pm

Double Bubble wrote:
BallnIngram wrote:
gp2015 wrote:

OKC just barely made the playoffs and got bounced in the first round by Utah. Toronto is a legit threat to come out of the east.

yea we heard tor being a threat for a while now...maybe tor should try harder, champ lol
Raps in 4
RealGM
And1: 54,404

Post#16 » by Raps in 4 » Mon Jul 23, 2018 6:38 pm

BallnIngram wrote:
gp2015 wrote:

You mean an ISO chucking machine.

Lowry has accomplished more in the playoffs than Westbrick. I guarantee Lowry + PG get past Utah last year. Lowry's style of play is conducive to winning team basketball.
NoZoLakers
General Manager

Post#17 » by NoZoLakers » Mon Jul 23, 2018 6:47 pm

Raps in 4 wrote:
BallnIngram wrote:
gp2015 wrote:

You mean an ISO chucking machine.

Lowry has accomplished more in the playoffs than Westbrick. I guarantee Lowry + PG get past Utah last year. Lowry's style of play is conducive to winning team basketball.

well I'm not a fan of russ but your assertion is a fail, Russ has gone to 2 WCF and 1 Finals, Lowry has only gone to 1 ECF and choked hard
likashing
Head Coach
And1: 1,959

Post#18 » by likashing » Mon Jul 23, 2018 7:06 pm

Why is it repeatedly mentioned that Robertson is Kawhi’s uncle in articles?

They don’t repeatedly mention Rich Paul is LeBron’s best friend when TT was holding out for an overpaid contract from the Cavs, along with JR and then KCP with the Lakers.
Mark Jackson wrote:Playoff preparation is overrated... I’m going to get my rest. I’m not going to grow old and be stressed out and get gray hair.
Double Bubble
Sixth Man
And1: 1,284

Post#19 » by Double Bubble » Mon Jul 23, 2018 7:30 pm

BallnIngram wrote:
Double Bubble wrote:
BallnIngram wrote:leonard might not go la but he certainly isnt staying in tor, pg ended up staying with okc due to his friendship with an mvp tripple double machine, tor has lowry :lol:

yea we heard tor being a threat for a while now...maybe tor should try harder, champ lol

All experts agree Toronto and Boston are the favourites in the east and OKC has zero chance in the west. You're nothing but a troll
NoZoLakers
General Manager

Post#20 » by NoZoLakers » Mon Jul 23, 2018 7:31 pm

Double Bubble wrote:
BallnIngram wrote:
Double Bubble wrote: OKC just barely made the playoffs and got bounced in the first round by Utah. Toronto is a legit threat to come out of the east.

All experts agree Toronto and Boston are the favourites in the east and OKC has zero chance in the west. You're nothing but a troll

yea, experts like barkley picked tor last yr too to get out of the east :-? :banghead:

Return to Wiretap Discussion