Carmelo Anthony: Thunder Wasn't A Good Fit

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

Carmelo Anthony: Thunder Wasn't A Good Fit 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Thu Jul 26, 2018 1:24 pm

Carmelo Anthony initially was resistant to the idea of a buyout to become a free agent.

"To get bought out, to get waived, you were looked at like, you're done," said Anthony. "Now, it's just almost like the norm. If something doesn't work, go ahead and get a buyout or go ahead and get traded. That's the new norm in our society in basketball. I had to get over that.

"I had a conversation with my wife and family. I said to them, I'm not taking no buyout. I'm not getting waived. And they said, at the end of the day, nobody is going to know that. You have to do what you have to do. It's going to be a blip on your radar. It's on to the next chapter. It took me a while to get to that point where I'm like, OK, I'm going to accept it."

Anthony said ultimately things didn't work out with the Oklahoma City Thunder because of timing.

"At the end of the day, it wasn't a good fit," he said. "I think last year -- and I haven't talked about this before -- everything was just so rushed, going to the team for media day and the day before training camp. Them guys already had something in place, and then I come along in the 25th hour like, oh s---, Melo just come on and join us. Like, you can figure it out since you've been around the game for a long time. That's why it was so inconsistent. At times, I had to figure it out on my own rather than somebody over there or people over there helping me."

Anthony is expected to sign with the Houston Rockets.

"I think winning, at the end of the day, rewrites everything," he said. "It settles everything. I also look back at this past year. When we were winning, the story was written already. When we started losing, the story is written. It's almost premeditated. I'm playing ball. I'm happy. I'm excited about what's to come, wherever that may be."

Via Jemele Hill/ESPN

shmeakone
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,436

Re: Carmelo Anthony: Thunder Wasn't A Good Fit 

Post#2 » by shmeakone » Thu Jul 26, 2018 1:29 pm

14.8 PPG
5.2 RPG
1.8 APG
46% FG
35% 3P
81% FT

32.1 MPG

WCF loss
My lifetime better have a Knicks championship.
Rollie
Junior
And1: 34

Post#3 » by Rollie » Thu Jul 26, 2018 1:38 pm

Let the hateful comments....COMMENCE!!!!!
nmc_13
Ballboy
And1: 7

Post#4 » by nmc_13 » Thu Jul 26, 2018 1:55 pm

The only reason it didn't work because he's selfish af and didn't want to come off the bench. Zero self awareness.
jlokine
Analyst
And1: 3,934

Post#5 » by jlokine » Thu Jul 26, 2018 2:45 pm

you dont fit anywhere if you dont want to do what is asked of you at this stage of your career, melo.. if you were willing to come off the bench, you'd be a 6th man of the year candidate.
Harry Garris
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 13,567

Post#6 » by Harry Garris » Thu Jul 26, 2018 2:48 pm

nmc_13 wrote:The only reason it didn't work because he's selfish af and didn't want to come off the bench. Zero self awareness.

The reason why it didn't work is because at this point in his career he's a bad player. The Thunder were a pretty mediocre team when Melo was on the floor yet when they subbed him out for Jerami Grant, they became an elite team. Grant's a career backup, and he doesn't really do anything all that special, but because he's at least okay at defense, offense, and rebounding, him just being an average player was a massive improvement over Melo.
Morse Code
Head Coach
And1: 8,435

Post#7 » by Morse Code » Thu Jul 26, 2018 2:57 pm

Lol the ego is out of control. He's one guy I'm going to enjoy watching his continual fall from grace.
It Is I Folks
Junior
And1: 46

Post#8 » by It Is I Folks » Thu Jul 26, 2018 2:57 pm

nmc_13 wrote:The only reason it didn't work because he's selfish af and didn't want to come off the bench. Zero self awareness.

Maybe.....to go along with another selfish leader on the team jacking up 30-40 shots a game. Bad mix lol
I think he’ll do better in Houston with two stars that look to pass and get their teammates involved more.
Revived
RealGM
And1: 19,424

Post#9 » by Revived » Thu Jul 26, 2018 3:06 pm

nvm.
Mr. E
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,510
Location: Defending Planet Earth with a Jet-Pack & a Ray-Gun!

Post#10 » by Mr. E » Thu Jul 26, 2018 3:31 pm

Harry Garris wrote:

The reason why it didn't work is because at this point in his career he's a bad player. The Thunder were a pretty mediocre team when Melo was on the floor yet when they subbed him out for Jerami Grant, they became an elite team. Grant's a career backup, and he doesn't really do anything all that special, but because he's at least okay at defense, offense, and rebounding, him just being an average player was a massive improvement over Melo.

The Thunder were never an elite team last season.
"A fanatic is one who can't change their mind and won't change the subject."
- Winston Churchill
The_Hater
GHOAT (Greatest Hater Of All Time)
And1: 40,048

Post#11 » by The_Hater » Thu Jul 26, 2018 3:44 pm

Unless Melo changes his attitude/game/style to align with his age and current level of play, he’s going to find that every team is a bad fit now. He doesn’t seem to realize that it’s all on him.
AthensBucks wrote:Lowry is done.
Nurse is below average at best.
Masai is overrated.
I dont get how so many people believe in the raptors,they have zero to chance to win it all.

April 14th, 2019.
Rollie
Junior
And1: 34

Post#12 » by Rollie » Thu Jul 26, 2018 3:51 pm

Harry Garris wrote:

They didn't excel with Grant on the floor. They excelled with Roberson on the floor. When he went down their defense rating dropped.
lonzo_pelota
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,554

Post#13 » by lonzo_pelota » Thu Jul 26, 2018 3:58 pm

yes melo blame everyone else, do not take accountability for your poor shooting & shot selection & refusal to make the extra pass and lack of defensive effort
MagicFan101
RealGM
And1: 6,498

Post#14 » by MagicFan101 » Thu Jul 26, 2018 4:05 pm

No kidding. But really, anything other than a 1-on-1 pickup game isn’t much of a good fit for him...
NoZoLakers
General Manager
And1: 3,358

Post#15 » by NoZoLakers » Thu Jul 26, 2018 4:10 pm

bad fit cause bad coaching/system n melo is declining....all that okc team was give russ the ball n get his triple dub then pg gets his turn to iso then melo waits to chuck 3s
bb22
Starter
And1: 985

Post#16 » by bb22 » Thu Jul 26, 2018 4:17 pm

At this point, he fits best in China. Or some other league for pure entertainment where he can be the man.
Woody Allen
General Manager
And1: 2,840

Post#17 » by Woody Allen » Thu Jul 26, 2018 4:48 pm

Just retire.
Hoopzilla
Starter
And1: 520

Post#18 » by Hoopzilla » Thu Jul 26, 2018 4:59 pm

BallnIngram wrote:bad fit cause bad coaching/system n melo is declining....all that okc team was give russ the ball n get his triple dub then pg gets his turn to iso then melo waits to chuck 3s

So, the Thunder based the order of the touches amongst the big 3 by the talent they had. This is not a new concept, most teams function that way. The reigning MVP (Westbrook) got the ball, then the all star (PG) and then the washed up iso player that kills pace and space (Melo). I am not understanding what the problem is here...

Melo didn't fit because he refused a bench role and is a very poor third option since he can't defend and being a spot up shooter is not his forte. Taking possessions away from PG or Westbrook was not the answer. Melo having a grain of humility and coming to terms with reality would have given him a chance to succeed. As usual, Melo's giant would not yield to logic and common sense. It is not a mystery.
NoZoLakers
General Manager
And1: 3,358

Post#19 » by NoZoLakers » Thu Jul 26, 2018 5:06 pm

Hoopzilla wrote:
BallnIngram wrote:bad fit cause bad coaching/system n melo is declining....all that okc team was give russ the ball n get his triple dub then pg gets his turn to iso then melo waits to chuck 3s

So, the Thunder based the order of the touches amongst the big 3 by the talent they had. This is not a new concept, most teams function that way. The reigning MVP (Westbrook) got the ball, then the all star (PG) and then the washed up iso player that kills pace and space (Melo). I am not understanding what the problem is here...

Melo didn't fit because he refused a bench role and is a very poor third option since he can't defend and being a spot up shooter is not his forte. Taking possessions away from PG or Westbrook was not the answer. Melo having a grain of humility and coming to terms with reality would have given him a chance to succeed. As usual, Melo's giant would not yield to logic and common sense. It is not a mystery.

making him a spot up shooter is bad coaching/system and the system was all iso n pnr, no semblance of much play calling....melo has declined but we'll see how hou uses him, if hes better and more productive then okc system is to blame if hes still as terrible as ever than it was all him
colaroaster
Sixth Man
And1: 796
Location: jp morgan, rockefellers, rothschild, vanderbilt, danny ainge

Post#20 » by colaroaster » Thu Jul 26, 2018 5:13 pm

melo saying he financially sacrificed for the knicks will forever make me smile

Return to Wiretap Discussion