Cavaliers To Acquire Sam Dekker From Clippers

Moderators: Domejandro, bwgood77

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 291

Cavaliers To Acquire Sam Dekker From Clippers 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Sun Aug 5, 2018 7:36 pm

The Cleveland Cavaliers will acquire Sam Dekker from the Los Angeles Clippers.

The Clippers are clearing a roster spot while Dekker will get a better opportunity to earn minutes with Cleveland.

Dekker was traded by the Rockets to the Clippers last offseason as part of the Chris Paul trade.

Via Adrian Wojnarowski/ESPN

JRsmithereens
Junior
And1: 153

Re: Cavaliers To Acquire Sam Dekker From Clippers 

Post#2 » by JRsmithereens » Sun Aug 5, 2018 7:55 pm

God being a GM must suck. Everything is okay in cleveland now anyways.

Sent from my SM-G550T1 using Tapatalk
Warchant
Analyst
And1: 1,265

Post#3 » by Warchant » Sun Aug 5, 2018 10:34 pm

JRsmithereens wrote:God being a GM must suck. Everything is okay in cleveland now anyways.

The Cavs are a complete mess...just no direction at all
tigerae
Rookie
And1: 232

Post#4 » by tigerae » Sun Aug 5, 2018 11:48 pm

Warchant wrote:
JRsmithereens wrote:God being a GM must suck. Everything is okay in cleveland now anyways.

The team knows they are a couple years away from being able to rebuild, so for now, it looks to me like they are trying to just compete for a playoff spot. Dekker is still young and could be a steal if he lives up to his potential, if not, then no harm done, just keep the bench warm for a year or two.
HotelVitale
RealGM
And1: 9,724

Post#5 » by HotelVitale » Mon Aug 6, 2018 12:40 am

Warchant wrote:
JRsmithereens wrote:God being a GM must suck. Everything is okay in cleveland now anyways. Sent from my SM-G550T1 using Tapatalk

Pretty hard to criticize taking a flyer on a promising young guy who's on a cheap contract. What's your actual point here?
Warchant
Analyst

Post#6 » by Warchant » Mon Aug 6, 2018 12:55 am

HotelVitale wrote:
Warchant wrote:
JRsmithereens wrote:God being a GM must suck. Everything is okay in cleveland now anyways. Sent from my SM-G550T1 using Tapatalk

Pretty hard to criticize taking a flyer on a promising young guy who's on a cheap contract. What's your actual point here?

Promising young player? Avg 5 pts and 3 rebs in 15 mins per game is D league material....I guess we will wait and see what they gave up
HotelVitale
RealGM
And1: 9,724

Post#7 » by HotelVitale » Mon Aug 6, 2018 1:03 am

Warchant wrote:
HotelVitale wrote:
Warchant wrote: The Cavs are a complete mess...just no direction at all
Promising young player? Avg 5 pts and 3 rebs in 15 mins per game is D league material....I guess we will wait and see what they gave up

He's been a useful player before and he was a dump so they're not giving up anything real for him. No idea what your context is for this comment--did you think they were trading an unprotected 1st for him or something?
streets talking
Senior
And1: 31

Post#8 » by streets talking » Mon Aug 6, 2018 1:24 am

LeKing's Replacement
... Chip on his shouldaz
tigerae
Rookie
And1: 232

Post#9 » by tigerae » Mon Aug 6, 2018 2:10 am

HotelVitale wrote:
Warchant wrote:
HotelVitale wrote: Pretty hard to criticize taking a flyer on a promising young guy who's on a cheap contract. What's your actual point here?

He's been a useful player before and he was a dump so they're not giving up anything real for him. No idea what your context is for this comment--did you think they were trading an unprotected 1st for him or something?
Some people just like to be negative no matter what. It was basically a roster dump by the Clippers as they had 17 players under contract. I don't believe there are any picks involved, just a swap of rights from overseas players that are unlikely to ever be in the NBA. Cavs are using one of their trade exceptions that is going to expire this month anyway to absorb Dekker's contract.

Like I said before, could be a decent steal for the Cavs if Dekker reaches his potential and if not he's cheap enough to take a gamble on.
Sent from my SM-G935T using RealGM mobile app
Warchant
Analyst

Post#10 » by Warchant » Mon Aug 6, 2018 3:58 am

tigerae wrote:
HotelVitale wrote:
Warchant wrote: Promising young player? Avg 5 pts and 3 rebs in 15 mins per game is D league material....I guess we will wait and see what they gave up

Some people just like to be negative no matter what. It was basically a roster dump by the Clippers as they had 17 players under contract. I don't believe there are any picks involved, just a swap of rights from overseas players that are unlikely to ever be in the NBA. Cavs are using one of their trade exceptions that is going to expire this month anyway to absorb Dekker's contract.

Like I said before, could be a decent steal for the Cavs if Dekker reaches his potential and if not he's cheap enough to take a gamble on.

So in other words....irrelevant
tribulations
Analyst
And1: 1,270

Post#11 » by tribulations » Mon Aug 6, 2018 8:33 am

tigerae wrote:
Warchant wrote:

The team knows they are a couple years away from being able to rebuild, so for now, it looks to me like they are trying to just compete for a playoff spot. Dekker is still young and could be a steal if he lives up to his potential, if not, then no harm done, just keep the bench warm for a year or two.

Pretty much this - Dekker has looked OK when given minutes. I thought they would be all-in for the tank so their pick doesn't convey (top 10 protected?) but then again maybe they do shoot for playoffs, convey a mid round first then try to bottom out for a high pick in the 2020 draft.
Stillwater
RealGM
And1: 3,655

Post#12 » by Stillwater » Mon Aug 6, 2018 2:58 pm

tigerae wrote:
HotelVitale wrote:
Warchant wrote: Promising young player? Avg 5 pts and 3 rebs in 15 mins per game is D league material....I guess we will wait and see what they gave up

Right, the tpe from the Irving deal was set to expire this month and White's contract became guaranteed if not waived when he was.
Taking a flyer on Dekker also gives CLE a potential salary matching expiring for any dl trades of Hill,Korver etc.
SUNDOWN BRINGS A WELCOME CHANGE TO EVERYTHING THAT'S HIDING
ChokeFasncists
RealGM
And1: 1,501

Post#13 » by ChokeFasncists » Mon Aug 6, 2018 5:29 pm

For what? For what?

Clarkson? Sexton? (j/k)
MorbidHEAT wrote:My dislike for Lin started during Linsanity. It was absurd. It's probably irrational dislike at this point, but man he gets on my nerves. He's been tearing us up though.
Thanks for the honesty.
cavs4872
Senior
And1: 242

Post#14 » by cavs4872 » Mon Aug 6, 2018 11:43 pm

The Shaqtin' guy?

Return to Wiretap Discussion