Jahlil Okafor Agrees To Sign With Pelicans

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 292

Jahlil Okafor Agrees To Sign With Pelicans 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Wed Aug 8, 2018 1:25 pm

Jahlil Okafor has agreed to sign with the New Orleans Pelicans.

Okafor was the third overall pick in 2015 out of Duke and the Philadelphia 76ers declined their option on his contract for 18-19 before he was traded to the Brooklyn Nets.

Via Adrian Wojnarowski/ESPN

CacchMeIfYouCan
Ballboy
And1: 5

Re: Jahlil Okafor Agrees To Sign With Pelicans 

Post#2 » by CacchMeIfYouCan » Wed Aug 8, 2018 2:01 pm

It amazes me how it took this long for a team to give him a chance. He clearly wasn't asking for a lot of money so why not take the risk?
imDatknicksTape
Pro Prospect
And1: 361

Post#3 » by imDatknicksTape » Wed Aug 8, 2018 2:03 pm

CacchMeIfYouCan wrote:It amazes me how it took this long for a team to give him a chance. He clearly wasn't asking for a lot of money so why not take the risk?

easy... NBA game today needs three point shooting and speed. NBA is slowly moving away from post up skilled players under the rim.
dan-man
Sixth Man
And1: 364

Post#4 » by dan-man » Wed Aug 8, 2018 2:15 pm

I had a strong feeling he wouldn't do well in the NBA. The college game hid his sluggish mobility which won't jive in today's big boy league.
QBoro KnicksFan
Junior
And1: 432

Post#5 » by QBoro KnicksFan » Wed Aug 8, 2018 2:26 pm

This is his last chance, I'll be rooting for him
QBoro KnicksFan
Junior
And1: 432

Post#6 » by QBoro KnicksFan » Wed Aug 8, 2018 2:31 pm

CacchMeIfYouCan wrote:It amazes me how it took this long for a team to give him a chance. He clearly wasn't asking for a lot of money so why not take the risk?

As a big, if you cant space the floor you better defend and rebound your butt off, unfortunately Okafor doesn't defend, rebound, or space the floor. He's a less efficient Kanter w/o the rebounding and even worse defense.

Im happy for him that he got this opportunity but honestly after he flamed out with the Nets I thought he was China bound
Harry Garris
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 13,475

Post#7 » by Harry Garris » Wed Aug 8, 2018 2:38 pm

Because a lot of the undrafted players out of college or players from the European leagues are better than Okafor so you'd rather sign them?
vct33
Veteran
And1: 839

Post#8 » by vct33 » Wed Aug 8, 2018 2:46 pm

Less than a year ago debates raged about Okafor trades and whether or not he was worth a 1st round pick. :lol:
I brings the ruckus to the ladies!
Psubs
RealGM
And1: 10,623

Post#9 » by Psubs » Wed Aug 8, 2018 3:03 pm

N.O. got a partial guarantee and team option for the following year. I guess it took him time to accept such concessions.
bqmuzik
Junior
And1: 62

Post#10 » by bqmuzik » Wed Aug 8, 2018 3:08 pm

I think he could be a decent fit as a backup. People say the post game is dying but if you can get buckets you can get buckets. Not every player needs to be on the perimeter. Never understood why he is treated like he cant contribute. That being said, I worry his lack of rebounding and toughness could bury him on the bench especially if they keep the other Okafor whose rebounding, shot blocking and defense was very solid in spot duty
ByeByeDre
Rookie
And1: 373

Post#11 » by ByeByeDre » Wed Aug 8, 2018 3:41 pm

I always thought Monroe should go there too. Okafor should be a decent fit paired with Davis. Good luck to him.
gdog2004
Starter
And1: 706

Post#12 » by gdog2004 » Wed Aug 8, 2018 4:02 pm

Okafor looks better than ever. Let's see if that new body of his includes rebounding and defending. If he rebounded and defended him shooting 3's would be less of an issue. NO may have gotten themselves a steal. Little risk-high reward.
12footrim
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,316

Post#13 » by 12footrim » Wed Aug 8, 2018 4:11 pm

imDatknicksTape wrote:

easy... NBA game today needs three point shooting and speed. NBA is slowly moving away from post up skilled players under the rim.

This. I'd rather have Lucas Nogueria on the same contract. You can get efficient offense from muliple positions on the court with as well as guys shoot the 3 today. Center you better have a good defender or be an elite ass scorer. The rest of their bigs beyond AD are poor defenders as well. They don't need Okafor IMO.
Where I write

The Hoops Resource
Kobblehead
RealGM
And1: 19,081

Post#14 » by Kobblehead » Wed Aug 8, 2018 4:36 pm

bqmuzik wrote:I think he could be a decent fit as a backup. People say the post game is dying but if you can get buckets you can get buckets. Not every player needs to be on the perimeter. Never understood why he is treated like he cant contribute.

With Okafor, it's not just the tangible things on the court that have made him an unappealing player. He's also had issues with attitude, effort and coachability. Transforming his body is a great first step, but he still has the prove that he can be a good teammate/employee/subordinate.
FecesOfDeath
Head Coach
And1: 1,675

Post#15 » by FecesOfDeath » Wed Aug 8, 2018 4:40 pm

The Pelicans sure like players named Okafor.
imDatknicksTape
Pro Prospect
And1: 361

Post#16 » by imDatknicksTape » Wed Aug 8, 2018 5:07 pm

12footrim wrote:
imDatknicksTape wrote:

This. I'd rather have Lucas Nogueria on the same contract. You can get efficient offense from muliple positions on the court with as well as guys shoot the 3 today. Center you better have a good defender or be an elite ass scorer. The rest of their bigs beyond AD are poor defenders as well. They don't need Okafor IMO.

dude averaged 17 pts per game for 50 games as a rookie, he has more upside than any center in the game, and has one of the best offensive skillset for a center other than AD/embiid. Its obvious teams are going small and fast because thats what the warriors are doing. So might as well everybody do that as well
ChokeFasncists
RealGM
And1: 1,501

Post#17 » by ChokeFasncists » Wed Aug 8, 2018 6:07 pm

FecesOfDeath wrote:The Pelicans sure like players named Okafor.

Would be nice if E. Okafor is retained to mentor J. Okafor.
MorbidHEAT wrote:My dislike for Lin started during Linsanity. It was absurd. It's probably irrational dislike at this point, but man he gets on my nerves. He's been tearing us up though.
Thanks for the honesty.
Caese
Sophomore
And1: 35

Post#18 » by Caese » Wed Aug 8, 2018 6:10 pm

imDatknicksTape wrote:
12footrim wrote:
imDatknicksTape wrote:

dude averaged 17 pts per game for 50 games as a rookie, he has more upside than any center in the game, and has one of the best offensive skillset for a center other than AD/embiid. Its obvious teams are going small and fast because thats what the warriors are doing. So might as well everybody do that as well

What team was he playing for when he put up those numbers? The tanking 6ers? Put him in an NBA situation where winning does matter, and you get what you've gotten since those first 50 games. Let's not forget MCW was a ROTY until the 6ers moved him and he's a 3rd string back up at best now.
The-Power
General Manager
And1: 9,080

Post#19 » by The-Power » Wed Aug 8, 2018 6:22 pm

imDatknicksTape wrote: he has more upside than any center in the game, and has one of the best offensive skillset for a center other than AD/embiid.

What the hell?? No, dude. :lol:
AleksandarN
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,948

Post#20 » by AleksandarN » Wed Aug 8, 2018 6:42 pm

imDatknicksTape wrote:
12footrim wrote:
imDatknicksTape wrote:

Jokic says hi.

Return to Wiretap Discussion