Stephen Curry Wants To Finish Career With Warriors

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

Stephen Curry Wants To Finish Career With Warriors 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:10 pm

Stephen Curry said he wants to finish his career with the Golden State Warriors.

“For sure I do,” Curry said. “This is home. This is where I want to be, for obvious reasons.”

Curry was drafted by the Warriors in 2009 and his agency told the front office at the time not to select him.

“I love the Bay Area, man,” said Curry." The only reason I go home now is if my sister’s getting married or to go play the Hornets for that one game, so I haven’t really been back much. I haven’t put my mind there.”

Curry does not hold a no trade clause in his five-year supermax contract signed in 2017.

Via Bill Simmons/The Ringer (via Yahoo! Sports)

Sam195
Analyst
And1: 310

Re: Stephen Curry Wants To Finish Career With Warriors 

Post#2 » by Sam195 » Fri Aug 17, 2018 1:17 am

Steve Kerr who is ironically the coach of Warriors now but was then GM of Phoenix has been on the record that the Warriors and Suns had a deal in place to send Curry in a package for Amare Stoudemire at the 2009 nba draft. After the Warriors drafted him at 7th for whatever reason they backed out of the trade which worked out for the best nearly a decade later both for the Warriors and Kerr lol.
DimesandKnicks
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,626

Post#3 » by DimesandKnicks » Fri Aug 17, 2018 2:16 pm

Remember when the league was becoming Steph's and talking heads were literally talking about Curry overtaking lebron for the greatest...than KD joined the team. I just hope one of them leaves so they both can have 2 or 3 years of their prime to be the best players on their teams.
floppymoose
Senior Mod - Warriors
Senior Mod - Warriors
And1: 15,798

Post#4 » by floppymoose » Fri Aug 17, 2018 2:43 pm

Sam195 wrote:Steve Kerr who is ironically the coach of Warriors now but was then GM of Phoenix has been on the record that the Warriors and Suns had a deal in place to send Curry in a package for Amare Stoudemire at the 2009 nba draft. After the Warriors drafted him at 7th for whatever reason they backed out of the trade which worked out for the best nearly a decade later both for the Warriors and Kerr lol.

The deal was for GS to draft a player at pick 7 as directed by the Suns, and trade that player for Amare. When Curry fell to 7, Don Nelson couldn’t believe it and the deal was off.
floppymoose
Senior Mod - Warriors
Senior Mod - Warriors

Post#5 » by floppymoose » Fri Aug 17, 2018 2:44 pm

DimesandKnicks wrote:Remember when the league was becoming Steph's and talking heads were literally talking about Curry overtaking lebron for the greatest...than KD joined the team. I just hope one of them leaves so they both can have 2 or 3 years of their prime to be the best players on their teams.

You got half your wish already. Curry has always been the best player on his team.
DimesandKnicks
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,626

Post#6 » by DimesandKnicks » Fri Aug 17, 2018 3:05 pm

floppymoose wrote:
DimesandKnicks wrote:Remember when the league was becoming Steph's and talking heads were literally talking about Curry overtaking lebron for the greatest...than KD joined the team. I just hope one of them leaves so they both can have 2 or 3 years of their prime to be the best players on their teams.

You got half your wish already. Curry has always been the best player on his team.

Can't be considered the best player on your team when you have 3 championships and no finals and the majority of the media recognizes Durant as the second best player in the league.
bakesale
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,776

Post#7 » by bakesale » Fri Aug 17, 2018 3:06 pm

floppymoose wrote:

Exactly. I think Curry was robbed of Finals MVP TBH.
bb22
Starter
And1: 984

Post#8 » by bb22 » Fri Aug 17, 2018 3:10 pm

Shocking. Someone getting payed the super-max on the most talented team in NBA history wants to finish his career there.
Let's see what he says 2 years from now when the team isn't quite the same.
bb22
Starter
And1: 984

Post#9 » by bb22 » Fri Aug 17, 2018 3:34 pm

DimesandKnicks wrote:
floppymoose wrote:

Can't be considered the best player on your team when you have 3 championships and no finals and the majority of the media recognizes Durant as the second best player in the league.

He was pretty much the best player in the league during the 14/15 regular season. He put the team on his back and had an insane season. Deserved to be MVP and was the most important piece for getting his team in the position to compete in the finals. He stunk it up in the finals against a depleted Cavs team, which was kind of inexcusable. Could have been a fluke. Could have been nerves and inexperience. Could have been Delly (not).

IMO, by 15/16 it was already Steph-Klay-Draymond's team. The new Warriors culture was cemented. Steph took the MVP because you just have to give it to the most popular/star player on a team that just broke the record for most wins in a season. If it weren't for Klay, OKC would have been in the finals. Again, he stinks it up in the finals, where he was more than just outplayed by Kyrie (Lebron and Kyrie were arguably the two best players in that finals series, by a significant margin).

Ever since, the Warriors have been a juggernaut, super-team, where KD stood out when it mattered most. This is clear to anyone who watched the last two playoff runs. His consistency against the 2018 Rockets and 2017 Cavs is what put them over the edge. The 2018 finals mvp was up for grabs, since the Cavs were just way overmatched and it came down to who out of the big stars on the Warriors was selfish enough to take initiative. Game 4 was basically an all-star game, deciding between KD and Steph. But regardless, KD was clearly the better player the past 2 years.
likashing
Head Coach
And1: 1,959

Post#10 » by likashing » Fri Aug 17, 2018 5:47 pm

NBA players are not much different from CEOs of big corps nowadays - they are friends with each other, wine and dine together. However, they are ruthless trying to take market share away from competitors when in the office.

Yet, some fans still want the NBA players to remain gladiators in a cage, not even allowed to decide on their own what team to play for, and when they do, stone them and question their competitiveness.
Mark Jackson wrote:Playoff preparation is overrated... I’m going to get my rest. I’m not going to grow old and be stressed out and get gray hair.
ChokeFasncists
RealGM
And1: 1,501

Post#11 » by ChokeFasncists » Fri Aug 17, 2018 6:54 pm

Cheap chips. Not so meaningful. I doubt it was Curry's idea tho, he was just being nice and played along. The Dubs FO has to take some responsibilities in this it looks like, as KD has put out some details recently trying to absolve himself.

OP: "Curry does not hold a no trade clause in his five-year supermax contract signed in 2017."

Thx Melo, Dolan and Phil. And maybe KD as well?
MorbidHEAT wrote:My dislike for Lin started during Linsanity. It was absurd. It's probably irrational dislike at this point, but man he gets on my nerves. He's been tearing us up though.
Thanks for the honesty.
ChokeFasncists
RealGM

Post#12 » by ChokeFasncists » Fri Aug 17, 2018 6:58 pm

bb22 wrote:The 2018 finals mvp was up for grabs, since the Cavs were just way overmatched and it came down to who out of the big stars on the Warriors was selfish enough to take initiative.

And we know who is the more "real" guy.
MorbidHEAT wrote:My dislike for Lin started during Linsanity. It was absurd. It's probably irrational dislike at this point, but man he gets on my nerves. He's been tearing us up though.
Thanks for the honesty.
ChokeFasncists
RealGM

Post#13 » by ChokeFasncists » Fri Aug 17, 2018 7:00 pm

likashing wrote:NBA players are not much different from CEOs of big corps nowadays - they are friends with each other, wine and dine together. However, they are ruthless trying to take market share away from competitors when in the office.

Yet, some fans still want the NBA players to remain gladiators in a cage, not even allowed to decide on their own what team to play for, and when they do, stone them and question their competitiveness.

Which most highly paid CEOs have joined the company of other most highly paid CEOs?
Thanks for the honesty.
East Bay Sports
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,559

Post#14 » by East Bay Sports » Fri Aug 17, 2018 7:03 pm

Dare I say... duh?
East Bay Sports
Lead Assistant

Post#15 » by East Bay Sports » Fri Aug 17, 2018 7:04 pm

DimesandKnicks wrote:
floppymoose wrote:

Great logic. Can't be the best player on your team because of an arbitrary award handed out by 10 random media members. Great call.
East Bay Sports
Lead Assistant

Post#16 » by East Bay Sports » Fri Aug 17, 2018 7:05 pm

bb22 wrote:
DimesandKnicks wrote:
floppymoose wrote:

He was pretty much the best player in the league during the 14/15 regular season. He put the team on his back and had an insane season. Deserved to be MVP and was the most important piece for getting his team in the position to compete in the finals. He stunk it up in the finals against a depleted Cavs team, which was kind of inexcusable. Could have been a fluke. Could have been nerves and inexperience. Could have been Delly (not).

IMO, by 15/16 it was already Steph-Klay-Draymond's team. The new Warriors culture was cemented. Steph took the MVP because you just have to give it to the most popular/star player on a team that just broke the record for most wins in a season. If it weren't for Klay, OKC would have been in the finals. Again, he stinks it up in the finals, where he was more than just outplayed by Kyrie (Lebron and Kyrie were arguably the two best players in that finals series, by a significant margin).

Ever since, the Warriors have been a juggernaut, super-team, where KD stood out when it mattered most. This is clear to anyone who watched the last two playoff runs. His consistency against the 2018 Rockets and 2017 Cavs is what put them over the edge. The 2018 finals mvp was up for grabs, since the Cavs were just way overmatched and it came down to who out of the big stars on the Warriors was selfish enough to take initiative. Game 4 was basically an all-star game, deciding between KD and Steph. But regardless, KD was clearly the better player the past 2 years.

Most of this post is incorrect if you were wondering.
dc
Head Coach
And1: 8,592

Post#17 » by dc » Fri Aug 17, 2018 7:14 pm

bb22 wrote:Shocking. Someone getting payed the super-max on the most talented team in NBA history wants to finish his career there.
Let's see what he says 2 years from now when the team isn't quite the same.

Let's see:

-Curry was drafted by the Warriors when he and his camp spent the entire pre-draft process telling teams not to draft him so that he could wind up with the Knicks, his preferred destination. But once the Warriors drafted him, he played for them without any hassles, anyways.

-Curry missed the playoffs his first 3 seasons in the league. The Warriors were still a bad team and he had 3 different coaches his first 3 years. During this time, Curry never complained or demanded anything from management.

-He signed a super discounted deal at $11M a year and won 2 MVPs playing under that contract. He never once complained.

Steph Curry is not a guy who takes his success for granted.
Brian Geltzeiler: You see Mark Jackson getting a head coaching job as early as next year?

Adrian Wojnarowski: Not if people make calls on him. Not if an organization is doing their homework and knows all the things he brings with him.
hyberx
Starter
And1: 384

Post#18 » by hyberx » Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:26 pm

floppymoose wrote:

As much as I love Curry's game and like his personality, this is a debatable argument with KD on the team. The old saying of "you can't teach height" is still very true in basketball. KD can get a shot off with high % success no matter who is guarding him. Curry, as many faithful Ws fan knows with observation, can be shut down at times by pesky defenders (especially when refs look the other way on off-ball pulling and holding fouls). That is why a lot of people say while Curry was the MVP during 2015, 2016 season, Green was the MVP for the team given his all-around skills. Rather than the MVP debate, I always say Curry was the best scorer while Green was the most well-rounded player (he scored very well when needed).

The other side of the argument would be Curry makes the Ws better than KD. I don't know if that has to do with Kerr's system is well designed for Curry or/and if other players' comfortability with him. With Curry in the game and the system cranking, you have a much better flow overall. With KD, who can score like nobody else on this planet, that "flow" is just not there like Curry. KD also regressed a bit last year as far as playing within the system goes. It seems like he was trying to prove a point or something, unlike his willingness to better fit in the 1st year. But then KD does more on the defensive end with his shot blocking.
floppymoose
Senior Mod - Warriors
Senior Mod - Warriors

Post#19 » by floppymoose » Fri Aug 17, 2018 9:14 pm

hyberx wrote:The other side of the argument would be Curry makes the Ws better than KD. I don't know if that has to do with Kerr's system is well designed for Curry or/and if other players' comfortability with him.

It's a lot simper than that. It's because he's the better player.
floppymoose
Senior Mod - Warriors
Senior Mod - Warriors

Post#20 » by floppymoose » Fri Aug 17, 2018 9:17 pm

DimesandKnicks wrote:
floppymoose wrote:

And yet I consider him the best player on the team.

Because he is. FMVP doesn't strike me as a very careful way to determine the best player on the championship team. Especially if you believe that 2 of the 3 FMVP awards are obviously wrong.

Return to Wiretap Discussion