Kawhi Leonard Still Prefers To Sign With Lakers, Clippers

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 292

Kawhi Leonard Still Prefers To Sign With Lakers, Clippers 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Tue Aug 21, 2018 1:48 am

Kawhi Leonard's preference for his 2019 free agency is to sign with either the Los Angeles Lakers or Los Angeles Clippers.

Leonard was traded by the San Antonio Spurs to the Toronto Raptors in July.

The Raptors can sign Leonard to a five-year, $190 million contract next summer, or a four-year, $141 million deal with a team with max cap space.

Via Adrian Wojnarowski/ESPN

CelticsAreBest
Ballboy
And1: 4

Re: Kawhi Leonard Still Prefers To Sign With Lakers, Clippers 

Post#2 » by CelticsAreBest » Tue Aug 21, 2018 2:03 am

HAha. Raptor fans got rekt. Enjoy getting swept by the Celtics in the playoffs. Kahwi will be thinking of Los Angeles and won’t give it his all. THAts what’s he did last year, and he will do it this year
geminiz
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,431

Post#3 » by geminiz » Tue Aug 21, 2018 2:54 am

CelticsAreBest wrote:HAha. Raptor fans got rekt. Enjoy getting swept by the Celtics in the playoffs. Kahwi will be thinking of Los Angeles and won’t give it his all. THAts what’s he did last year, and he will do it this year

uh no, u obviously dont know jack about basketball.
The beauty of this trade is it works out either way. If Kahwi leaves, it accelerates Raptor's rebuild as Raptor is off the hook for Derozan's contract.
ChokeFasncists
RealGM
And1: 1,501

Post#4 » by ChokeFasncists » Tue Aug 21, 2018 3:13 am

The Lakers might not want him if Klay would sign there.

The Clips might move to Seattle.

Sorry.
MorbidHEAT wrote:My dislike for Lin started during Linsanity. It was absurd. It's probably irrational dislike at this point, but man he gets on my nerves. He's been tearing us up though.
Thanks for the honesty.
pkiskool
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,073

Post#5 » by pkiskool » Tue Aug 21, 2018 3:31 am

And who said this when and why?
A three year old can write a better report than this junk.
RonaldArtest
General Manager
And1: 12,531

Post#6 » by RonaldArtest » Tue Aug 21, 2018 3:45 am

geminiz wrote:
CelticsAreBest wrote:HAha. Raptor fans got rekt. Enjoy getting swept by the Celtics in the playoffs. Kahwi will be thinking of Los Angeles and won’t give it his all. THAts what’s he did last year, and he will do it this year

The beauty of this trade is it works out either way. If Kahwi leaves, it accelerates Raptor's rebuild as Raptor is off the hook for Derozan's contract.

Accelerates the rebuild, but it does subtract assets for said rebuild. Derozan has positive trade value, like his game or not. In a separate deal he could've netted a prospect or two, or future pick, etc. Poeltl is a starting calibre C (NBA fans will get to know him soon). And of course the FRP which will likely be in the 24-28 range, and the raptors are a team that's proven to be able to find talent late in the first round.

That said it was a move that had to be made to take one last swing for the fences during this era. Kawhi will likely bolt, but ultimately for what the cost was and the chance to bring in a guy of Kawhi's calibre to an already winning team, the right decision was made.

Also gives Masai a season to try and pull some Jedi mind tricks and convince Kawhi to stay in Toronto. He convinced the Knicks to trade a first for Andrea Bargnani, so really anything is possible.
jonskilly
Bench Warmer
And1: 85

Post#7 » by jonskilly » Tue Aug 21, 2018 4:35 am

pkiskool wrote:And who said this when and why?
A three year old can write a better report than this junk.

My thought exactly. Not even "according to sources"
Shaheen
Suspended

CH Smoot
Sophomore
And1: 19

Post#8 » by CH Smoot » Tue Aug 21, 2018 4:48 am

"The Raptors can sign Leonard to a five-year, $190 million contract next summer, or a four-year, $141 million deal with a team with max cap space."

The Raptors can sign him to another team with cap space? As a partnership? Leonard splits time between the teams? One game for Toronto for every one game with the partner team?
Dino353
Sixth Man
And1: 1,246

Post#9 » by Dino353 » Tue Aug 21, 2018 5:03 am

Kawhi is not going to the Lakers, I could see him leave Toronto though. Either way Toronto is in good hands with Siakam and OG Anunoby who are two very prominent defensive prospects who’ll be able to take over at the 2-3 position if Kawhi does bolt.

Kawhi is going to the Clippers, I think Gilgeous-Alexander and Robinson will show enough this coming season to make him want to join them next summer. Another interesting option would be Charlotte also, Borrego was a San Antonio coach and he’ll coach what should be one of the best backcourts in the East in Monk and Walker. If they make the playoffs I think Kawhi will give Charlotte a serious look.
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics
And1: 14,424

Post#10 » by Cactus Jack » Tue Aug 21, 2018 5:31 am

ChokeFasncists wrote:The Lakers might not want him if Klay would sign there.

Sorry.

Let's be real. Ballmer wouldn't move the team for at least 3 years. :wink:
Dominater wrote:Damn Cactus jack takin over
ChokeFasncists
RealGM

Post#11 » by ChokeFasncists » Tue Aug 21, 2018 6:06 am

Cactus Jack wrote:

Sorry.

If it's three years from now, that means he would be playing in LA for only two years, not sure that's what he wants after all this.
MorbidHEAT wrote:My dislike for Lin started during Linsanity. It was absurd. It's probably irrational dislike at this point, but man he gets on my nerves. He's been tearing us up though.
Thanks for the honesty.
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics

Post#12 » by Cactus Jack » Tue Aug 21, 2018 6:09 am

ChokeFasncists wrote:
Cactus Jack wrote:

Sorry.

If it's three years from now, that means he would be playing in LA for two years, not sure that's what he wants after all this.

Kawhi's not signing with the Clipps anyway.

Spoiler:
He's taking his talents to SF for the MLE.
ChokeFasncists
RealGM

Post#13 » by ChokeFasncists » Tue Aug 21, 2018 6:16 am

Cactus Jack wrote:
ChokeFasncists wrote:
Cactus Jack wrote:Let's be real. Ballmer wouldn't move the team for at least 3 years. :wink:

If it's three years from now, that means he would be playing in LA for two years, not sure that's what he wants after all this.

Spoiler:

~lol~ Ya, seems like he wasn't satisfied playing on the second best team in the league. It should satisfy the uncle as well.
Thanks for the honesty.
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics

Post#14 » by Cactus Jack » Tue Aug 21, 2018 6:20 am

ChokeFasncists wrote:
Cactus Jack wrote:
ChokeFasncists wrote:If it's three years from now, that means he would be playing in LA for two years, not sure that's what he wants after all this.

Spoiler:

~lol~ Ya, seems like he wasn't satisfied playing on the second best team in the league. It should satisfy the uncle as well.

He's coming, coming...back home to Cali, Cali. :wink:
dan-man
Sixth Man
And1: 364

Post#15 » by dan-man » Tue Aug 21, 2018 12:22 pm

Sorry.

Klay would be the best fit alongside Lebron, but his dad feels pretty strongly that he aint going anywhere. With that said, Welcome to the purple and gold Kawhi!
Hoopzilla
Starter
And1: 520

Post#16 » by Hoopzilla » Tue Aug 21, 2018 2:08 pm

RonaldArtest wrote:
geminiz wrote:

Accelerates the rebuild, but it does subtract assets for said rebuild. Derozan has positive trade value, like his game or not. In a separate deal he could've netted a prospect or two, or future pick, etc. Poeltl is a starting calibre C (NBA fans will get to know him soon). And of course the FRP which will likely be in the 24-28 range, and the raptors are a team that's proven to be able to find talent late in the first round.

That said it was a move that had to be made to take one last swing for the fences during this era. Kawhi will likely bolt, but ultimately for what the cost was and the chance to bring in a guy of Kawhi's calibre to an already winning team, the right decision was made.

Also gives Masai a season to try and pull some Jedi mind tricks and convince Kawhi to stay in Toronto. He convinced the Knicks to trade a first for Andrea Bargnani, so really anything is possible.

I think letting Anunoby have a season to watch, learn and play with Kawhi is the biggest overlooked benefit of this deal. These guys will be an absolute defensive nightmare for opposing wings when they are on the court together.
Portlander
Freshman
And1: 1

Post#17 » by Portlander » Tue Aug 21, 2018 3:04 pm

Kawhi isn't playing. I haven't heard one report of him on court, practicing, playing, working out, etc. And when he does get on the court, he'll reinjure himself and keep on sitting...getting paid the big bucks. I think it's time to move on. Another Greg Oden and so many more who just can't take the beating!
colaroaster
Sixth Man
And1: 796
Location: jp morgan, rockefellers, rothschild, vanderbilt, danny ainge

Post#18 » by colaroaster » Tue Aug 21, 2018 5:29 pm

why not sit-out the year? come back next year feeling fresh and not worry about quitting on another coach, teammates, or fans. win/win
ChokeFasncists
RealGM

Post#19 » by ChokeFasncists » Tue Aug 21, 2018 6:26 pm

Cactus Jack wrote:
ChokeFasncists wrote:
Cactus Jack wrote:Kawhi's not signing with the Clipps anyway.

Spoiler:

He's coming, coming...back home to Cali, Cali. :wink:

But if KD wants to stay playing the 3, Draymond the 4, maybe they don't want him......Wait! Don't the Kings need a small forward? Sweet home for Lynyrd!
Thanks for the honesty.
ChokeFasncists
RealGM

Post#20 » by ChokeFasncists » Tue Aug 21, 2018 6:29 pm

dan-man wrote:

Sorry.

Klay would be the best fit alongside Lebron, but his dad feels pretty strongly that he aint going anywhere. With that said, Welcome to the purple and gold Kawhi!

I wouldn't trust his words at all. He's employed by the Lakers, not allowed to talk about Klay going there, it could be smokescreen. I could see the original big 3 of Curry/Klay/Dray staying put for their whole careers without the bandwagon jumpin', but not too sure now.
Thanks for the honesty.

Return to Wiretap Discussion