Kawhi Leonard Approaching Tenure With Raptors With Open Mind

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 292

Kawhi Leonard Approaching Tenure With Raptors With Open Mind 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Thu Aug 23, 2018 3:42 pm

San Antonio Express-News beat reporter Jabari Young has been one of the most plugged in reporters on Kawhi Leonard and he was asked if he believes the Toronto Raptors have a chance to re-sign him.

“Based off of me talking to people within his circle, they’re going to go into this thing with an open mind and give this thing every last opportunity to work," said Young on TSN. "And at the end of the day, if that’s the case, it would be great if he stays. Obviously, I think part of his mind, yes, let’s keep it real: I think he still feels like L.A. might be the destination, but the same time, he plans to go into this thing with an open mind, giving it every single shot in the world to make it work.”

Leonard contended he wanted to spend his entire career with the Spurs just a few months before he requested a trade.

Via Ben Rohrbach/Yahoo! Sports

Dino353
Sixth Man
And1: 1,246

Re: Kawhi Leonard Approaching Tenure With Raptors With Open Mind 

Post#2 » by Dino353 » Thu Aug 23, 2018 4:04 pm

The Raptors certainly have a chance of keeping him. We have to see the Raptors’ future vision to understand what they are trying to build. Could you imagine a defensive tandem of Kawhi,OG, and Siakam. Siakam and OG are both still very young but their potential on both sides of the ball is unlimited.

With 3 defensive juggernauts like Siakam,Leonard, and OG you won’t need much else to compete in the East.
canguy20m
Assistant Coach
And1: 442

Post#3 » by canguy20m » Thu Aug 23, 2018 4:46 pm

Dino353 wrote:The Raptors certainly have a chance of keeping him. We have to see the Raptors’ future vision to understand what they are trying to build. Could you imagine a defensive tandem of Kawhi,OG, and Siakam. Siakam and OG are both still very young but their potential on both sides of the ball is unlimited.

With 3 defensive juggernauts like Siakam,Leonard, and OG you won’t need much else to compete in the East.

lowry is the same age as chris paul. he should be a part of the long term plans.
jimmy keys
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,889

Post#4 » by jimmy keys » Thu Aug 23, 2018 4:59 pm

Dino353 wrote:The Raptors certainly have a chance of keeping him. We have to see the Raptors’ future vision to understand what they are trying to build. Could you imagine a defensive tandem of Kawhi,OG, and Siakam. Siakam and OG are both still very young but their potential on both sides of the ball is unlimited.

OG & Siakam fit perfectly next to Kawhi. It's going to a fun year!
ChokeFasncists
RealGM
And1: 1,501

Post#5 » by ChokeFasncists » Thu Aug 23, 2018 5:49 pm

Who cares what he thinks? What does the uncle think?
MorbidHEAT wrote:My dislike for Lin started during Linsanity. It was absurd. It's probably irrational dislike at this point, but man he gets on my nerves. He's been tearing us up though.
Thanks for the honesty.
madmaxmedia
RealGM
And1: 6,725

Post#6 » by madmaxmedia » Thu Aug 23, 2018 6:11 pm

No matter how messily or publicly, Kawhi has finally completed the 5 Stage of Grief and is ready to continue his career.
gp2015
RealGM
And1: 10,138

Post#7 » by gp2015 » Thu Aug 23, 2018 7:27 pm

I wouldn't say that Siakam and OG's potential on the offensive side of the ball is unlimited from what I've seen of them so far. Both their offensive games are pretty limited right now with what they can do. They will need to add a lot more skills to their offensive game. Neither of them really have a consistent jump shop right now. OG can hit the outside shot with some consistency but was very hot and cold throughout the year. Siakam's outside shot was pretty bad last season. I don't think a lot of players/coaches in the league respect his shot right now.

I would say that the potential is there but they have a lot of work to do.
"I'm doing what I love to do. So if I can never walk again because of what I love to do, that's a chance I'll take. I'll die on the court." - Alvin Williams
Pickled Prunes
General Manager
And1: 1,209

Post#8 » by Pickled Prunes » Thu Aug 23, 2018 7:38 pm

ChokeFasncists wrote:Who cares what he thinks? What does the uncle think?

Who even cares what his uncle thinks? Is he mentally, physically and emotionally ready to play? These are the only questions that matter. Clearly nobody knows what Kawhi is really thinking... and since he's human, I'm guessing he's a little confused about that himself.
Bolts
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,051

Post#9 » by Bolts » Thu Aug 23, 2018 7:47 pm

His mind about the Raptors may be open but my mind about Kawhi is now closed. I don't even like the Spurs but he is a loser who quit on his team. I wish him no success.
Lalouie
RealGM
And1: 10,066

Post#10 » by Lalouie » Thu Aug 23, 2018 10:13 pm

i think the lakers should worried because,,,,

1...tor is really going all out to make kawhi feel like he's wanted
2...derozan will have nothing but nice things to say about the city
3...kawhi inc wants to mend his image which has been battered. that failed apologetic letter is an example of that concern, and therefore i truly believe they want to keep an open mind
bb22
Starter
And1: 984

Post#11 » by bb22 » Thu Aug 23, 2018 10:23 pm

Lots of things can change over the course of the season.
There is more than a small chance that the Lakers put the breaks on pursuing Kawhi based on if/how their young guys develop and what Kawhi shows this season. And I'm sure KD and/or Klay might be more appealing to them.

The Clippers, on the other hand, are throwing the max at Kawhi no matter what.
colaroaster
Sixth Man
And1: 796
Location: jp morgan, rockefellers, rothschild, vanderbilt, danny ainge

Post#12 » by colaroaster » Fri Aug 24, 2018 4:30 am

quitting on your coach, teammates, fans and the game = mentally broke and fragile
rocketsfan100
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,350

Post#13 » by rocketsfan100 » Fri Aug 24, 2018 6:02 am

Dude could be the face of Canada. Vince carter made a ton of cash for being known as air Canada. He could make just as much of not more money In Canada with marketing and other deals then he could make in la.

If he took the Raptors to the finals his brand would be humongous.
TimRobbins
General Manager
And1: 2,242

Post#14 » by TimRobbins » Fri Aug 24, 2018 2:06 pm

He's going to LA, whether it's the Lakers or Clippers.
Caese
Sophomore
And1: 35

Post#15 » by Caese » Fri Aug 24, 2018 7:43 pm

rocketsfan100 wrote:Dude could be the face of Canada. Vince carter made a ton of cash for being known as air Canada. He could make just as much of not more money In Canada with marketing and other deals then he could make in la.

If he took the Raptors to the finals his brand would be humongous.

The Klaw and the Raptors. It writes itself, really. :lol:
ChokeFasncists
RealGM

Post#16 » by ChokeFasncists » Mon Aug 27, 2018 7:07 pm

Pickled Prunes wrote:

Who even cares what his uncle thinks? Is he mentally, physically and emotionally ready to play? These are the only questions that matter. Clearly nobody knows what Kawhi is really thinking... and since he's human, I'm guessing he's a little confused about that himself.

That's true in a normal situation, doesn't look like this is one of those.....
MorbidHEAT wrote:My dislike for Lin started during Linsanity. It was absurd. It's probably irrational dislike at this point, but man he gets on my nerves. He's been tearing us up though.
Thanks for the honesty.
Pickled Prunes
General Manager

Post#17 » by Pickled Prunes » Tue Aug 28, 2018 4:33 am

ChokeFasncists wrote:
Pickled Prunes wrote:

Sure, but my point was more that it doesn't even matter what Kawhi is thinking. If he isn't mentally, physically and emotionally ready to play than he may be picking up his player option next summer. Until then he is under contract. What his uncle thinks will start mattering when it starts mattering. Kawhi has something to prove first.
ChokeFasncists
RealGM

Post#18 » by ChokeFasncists » Tue Aug 28, 2018 7:15 pm

Pickled Prunes wrote:
ChokeFasncists wrote:
Pickled Prunes wrote:Who even cares what his uncle thinks? Is he mentally, physically and emotionally ready to play? These are the only questions that matter. Clearly nobody knows what Kawhi is really thinking... and since he's human, I'm guessing he's a little confused about that himself.

Sure, but my point was more that it doesn't even matter what Kawhi is thinking. If he isn't mentally, physically and emotionally ready to play than he may be picking up his player option next summer. Until then he is under contract. What his uncle thinks will start mattering when it starts mattering. Kawhi has something to prove first.

Well, they did threaten to not play if traded to anywhere but LA/NYC/Philly......
Thanks for the honesty.
Pickled Prunes
General Manager

Post#19 » by Pickled Prunes » Tue Aug 28, 2018 11:58 pm

ChokeFasncists wrote:
Pickled Prunes wrote:
ChokeFasncists wrote:That's true in a normal situation, doesn't look like this is one of those.....

Well, they did threaten to not play if traded to anywhere but LA/NYC/Philly......

In which case he will need to take the qualifying offer. Who's going to give him a 4 year max without proof of life? And even if he is healthy, a player refusing to honor their contract is the biggest of red flags.
ChokeFasncists
RealGM

Post#20 » by ChokeFasncists » Thu Aug 30, 2018 12:06 am

Pickled Prunes wrote:
ChokeFasncists wrote:
Pickled Prunes wrote:Sure, but my point was more that it doesn't even matter what Kawhi is thinking. If he isn't mentally, physically and emotionally ready to play than he may be picking up his player option next summer. Until then he is under contract. What his uncle thinks will start mattering when it starts mattering. Kawhi has something to prove first.

In which case he will need to take the qualifying offer. Who's going to give him a 4 year max without proof of life? And even if he is healthy, a player refusing to honor their contract is the biggest of red flags.

Yea true, I suppose the uncle posse didn't know the CBA very well. Don't blame'em, who are they?
Thanks for the honesty.

Return to Wiretap Discussion