Manu Ginobili Decides To Retire From NBA

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 292

Manu Ginobili Decides To Retire From NBA 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Mon Aug 27, 2018 6:03 pm

Manu Ginobili has decided to retire from the NBA.

Via Shams Charania/The Athletic

imDatknicksTape
Pro Prospect
And1: 361

Re: Manu Ginobili Decides To Retire From NBA 

Post#2 » by imDatknicksTape » Mon Aug 27, 2018 6:24 pm

jeez, i sill cant fathom why tony parker is in a hornets jersey, smh.
streets talking
Senior
And1: 31

Post#3 » by streets talking » Mon Aug 27, 2018 6:34 pm

Khawi destroyed the spurs dynasty
Watch him ruin the clippers locker room once hes unhappy
likashing
Head Coach
And1: 1,959

Post#4 » by likashing » Mon Aug 27, 2018 6:40 pm

Ya tell me Pop and co didn’t have urgency last season and didn’t pressure Kawhi to play hurt.

They all knew their window would close in a year or 2 and it was their last hurrah.

Pop is retiring in a year or 2 as well.

Pop's public comments, Tony's public comments, the players' meetings etc all point to them pressuring Kawhi to play hurt.

Great 20 year run though.

Will remember his Euro step and flying hair forever!
Mark Jackson wrote:Playoff preparation is overrated... I’m going to get my rest. I’m not going to grow old and be stressed out and get gray hair.
puja21
Bench Warmer
And1: 187

Post#5 » by puja21 » Mon Aug 27, 2018 7:02 pm

1st ballot HOFer

All these guys would join him if they retired today:
Lebron, Wade, Dirk, Vince, Parker, Pau

All of these guys already in too, despite this truth frustrating many fans:
CP3, KD, Steph, Dwight, Russ, Melo, Harden
ozwizard8
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,105

Post#6 » by ozwizard8 » Mon Aug 27, 2018 7:23 pm

Great player. Really underrated one.
He could've put much better stats like Harden-Nash if he had chance to play for D'Antoni. Even being a starter and not having Parker-Duncan as shooters would help him to have much better stats.

Scoring, defense, play making. He was really good at all aspects of the game.
He lift his game even higher at clutch minutes. Its really sad to see him retiring.
tmorgan
RealGM
And1: 6,886

Post#7 » by tmorgan » Mon Aug 27, 2018 7:53 pm

The Spurs always had a plan in place. The transition from a Duncan-lead team to a Kawhi-lead team was derailed by outside circumstances, particularly Leonard's advisers and Pop's inability to adjust to a different type of team leader. Duncan was probably the easiest superstar to manage ever, and it just wasn't going to work the same way with Kawhi. There's plenty of blame to go around here.

Cheers to Manu, who probably couldn't see a point in playing another year in which making the playoffs wasn't a certainty. He can't offer much in terms of consistent regular season minutes at this point, and DD is a high minutes starter at the 2 anyway. Better to retire and walk away, savoring the enormous achievements of the past. This season wasn't going to add anything to his legacy anyway. Easy first ballot HOFer, given that it's the basketball HOF, not just the NBA (though he'd likely make it for his NBA-only achievements anyway).
12footrim
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,316

Post#8 » by 12footrim » Mon Aug 27, 2018 7:56 pm

I think he still had a couple more years if he wanted. Honestly I wonder if there is any chance he might stay active in international play and go for one more Olympics. That was the pinicale of his career IMO leading a team not name USA to the gold and it would be a nice way to cap it to see him one more time.
Where I write

The Hoops Resource
Rek
Senior
And1: 128

Post#9 » by Rek » Mon Aug 27, 2018 8:27 pm

Respect. Manu earned the right to go out on his own terms. Great career.
ChokeFasncists
RealGM
And1: 1,501

Post#10 » by ChokeFasncists » Mon Aug 27, 2018 8:59 pm

likashing wrote:Ya tell me Pop and co didn’t have urgency last season and didn’t pressure Kawhi to play hurt.

They all knew their window would close in a year or 2 and it was their last hurrah.

Pop's public comments, Tony's public comments, the players' meetings etc all point to them pressuring Kawhi to play hurt.

Maybe a bit of pressure to play sure, no forcing or anything like that tho. (we aren't even sure if he was hurt later on)

Manu just recently decided to retire with a tough decision anyways.

Even Parker's comment was more a tongue in cheek thing rather than a shot taken, unless one wants it to be:

Asked about the trouble Leonard had experienced getting back on the court, Parker expressed sympathy, noting the ruptured quadriceps tendon he himself had suffered in the playoffs the season before and the difficulty of his own rehab.

“I’ve been through it,” said Parker, who has signed to play in Charlotte next season. “It was a rehab for me for eight months. Same kind of injury, but mine was 100 times worse. You just stay positive.”

https://www.thestar.com/sports/raptors/analysis/2018/07/22/the-true-story-behind-kawhi-leonards-messy-breakup-with-spurs.html

OP: Manu is a unique player, one of the truly great/exciting post-MJ SGs. One never knows what to expect when he has the ball in hand. Probably qualifies as one of the greatest passers of all time. (albeit a bit too mistakes prone) There shouldn't be any regret, he has done more than anyone except for the select few. The league won't be the same without him, will be sorely missed.

The Belly signing is looking pretty good. The team is pretty young except for Pau. He must be very lonely now.
MorbidHEAT wrote:My dislike for Lin started during Linsanity. It was absurd. It's probably irrational dislike at this point, but man he gets on my nerves. He's been tearing us up though.
Thanks for the honesty.
Tamimi
Junior
And1: 30

Post#11 » by Tamimi » Mon Aug 27, 2018 10:58 pm

Gracias Manu! We will miss you.
imagump1313
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,253

Post#12 » by imagump1313 » Mon Aug 27, 2018 11:45 pm

likashing wrote:Ya tell me Pop and co didn’t have urgency last season and didn’t pressure Kawhi to play hurt.

Great 20 year run though.

Will remember his Euro step and flying hair forever!

People seem to forget that Leonard wanted to finish the GSW series 2 years ago but the Spurs shut him down to protect him. Leonard himself was upset by that.
No one pushed Leonard to play hurt. He was using that narrative to force a trade. That goes against anything SA has done for the last 25 years. Its just nonsense.

Ginobili is a legend and he will be missed. End of an era.
Shem
RealGM
And1: 3,315

Post#13 » by Shem » Tue Aug 28, 2018 5:53 am

Who's going to miss the flopping?

April 4, 2014:
HotrodBeaubois wrote:I never said Dallas was good as Portland

Earlier on December 8, 2013:
HotrodBeaubois wrote:That's the Whole Point Portland is No better than Dallas
Mwd1981
Pro Prospect
And1: 124

Post#14 » by Mwd1981 » Wed Aug 29, 2018 6:00 am

The NBA just died a little bit for me.

Dude was as entertaining as they come, and played a team game.

Return to Wiretap Discussion