Spurs Agree To One-Year Deal With Quincy Pondexter

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 292

Spurs Agree To One-Year Deal With Quincy Pondexter 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Tue Aug 28, 2018 1:41 am

The San Antonio Spurs have agreed to a one-year deal with Quincy Pondexter.

Pondexter has been limited by injuries over the past few seasons.

Via Chris Haynes/ESPN

MetaKnick13
General Manager
And1: 343

Re: Spurs Agree To One-Year Deal With Quincy Pondexter 

Post#2 » by MetaKnick13 » Tue Aug 28, 2018 4:25 am

Tim who?
Pickled Prunes
General Manager
And1: 1,210

Post#3 » by Pickled Prunes » Tue Aug 28, 2018 4:28 am

That'll get'er done!
bqmuzik
Junior
And1: 62

Post#4 » by bqmuzik » Tue Aug 28, 2018 12:20 pm

Didnt he retire?
iliyanvs
Freshman
And1: 21

Post#5 » by iliyanvs » Tue Aug 28, 2018 4:19 pm

That guy was starting to get some fine rotation numbers before getting injured for the, like, next 3 seasons, wow. Well, i wish him the best in the Spurs, hopefuly he gets an injury free season. 10-15 mins per game on a healthy season would be a blessing for him.
ChokeFasncists
RealGM
And1: 1,501

Post#6 » by ChokeFasncists » Tue Aug 28, 2018 7:01 pm

Good move if healthy, replaces Danny Green. Big if tho.

Reunion with Dante.

Surprised they don't sign a center, I guess Pop likes Poeltl and Lama/Bertans're gonna play a lot of center?
MorbidHEAT wrote:My dislike for Lin started during Linsanity. It was absurd. It's probably irrational dislike at this point, but man he gets on my nerves. He's been tearing us up though.
Thanks for the honesty.
Pickled Prunes
General Manager

Post#7 » by Pickled Prunes » Wed Aug 29, 2018 4:44 am

ChokeFasncists wrote:Good move if healthy, replaces Danny Green. Big if tho.

Reunion with Dante.

Surprised they don't sign a center, I guess Pop likes Poeltl and Lama/Bertans're gonna play a lot of center?

They're paying Pau about $16M this season. He and Poeltl should get the bulk of the minutes and Aldridge will begrudgingly slide over for a bit as well.
ChokeFasncists
RealGM

Post#8 » by ChokeFasncists » Thu Aug 30, 2018 12:55 am

Pickled Prunes wrote:

Reunion with Dante.

They're paying Pau about $16M this season. He and Poeltl should get the bulk of the minutes and Aldridge will begrudgingly slide over for a bit as well.

Ya, that's already assuming Pau will only play center, maybe a little less than 20 mins? He will most likely miss some games as well. Another year older at 38.

Poeltl only averaged less than 20 mins last season, so that probably means either Pop really likes him and play him more or Lama and Bertans will be playing center for quite a bit.

Speaking of which, Pau is way overpaid but who better to have mentoring Poeltl?
MorbidHEAT wrote:My dislike for Lin started during Linsanity. It was absurd. It's probably irrational dislike at this point, but man he gets on my nerves. He's been tearing us up though.
Thanks for the honesty.
Pickled Prunes
General Manager

Post#9 » by Pickled Prunes » Thu Aug 30, 2018 3:34 am

ChokeFasncists wrote:
Pickled Prunes wrote:

Reunion with Dante.

Ya, that's already assuming Pau will only play center, maybe a little less than 20 mins? He will most likely miss some games as well. Another year older at 38.

Poeltl only averaged less than 20 mins last season, so that probably means either Pop really likes him and play him more or Lama and Bertans will be playing center for quite a bit.

Poeltl was a second year player playing behind a good center on a good team that liked to go small. He'll get more run in SA.
ChokeFasncists
RealGM

Post#10 » by ChokeFasncists » Thu Aug 30, 2018 6:33 pm

Pickled Prunes wrote:
ChokeFasncists wrote:
Pickled Prunes wrote:They're paying Pau about $16M this season. He and Poeltl should get the bulk of the minutes and Aldridge will begrudgingly slide over for a bit as well.

Poeltl was a second year player playing behind a good center on a good team that liked to go small. He'll get more run in SA.

That's indeed quite likely to happen.

OTOH, they just signed Chimezie Metu to be the third center. Makes sense.
Thanks for the honesty.
Pickled Prunes
General Manager

Post#11 » by Pickled Prunes » Thu Aug 30, 2018 7:12 pm

ChokeFasncists wrote:
Pickled Prunes wrote:
ChokeFasncists wrote:Ya, that's already assuming Pau will only play center, maybe a little less than 20 mins? He will most likely miss some games as well. Another year older at 38.

Well, they can put Metu at PF but call him a center so LA doesn't get grumpy. Metu (at 225lbs.) is too small to guard a true center with any offensive skills. Maybe in a couple of years after he bulks up. He's the same weight as JR Smith!

What made me so frustrated with LA when he was with POR was that he insisted he wasn't a center. It lead to always having someone bigger than him on the floor slowing down the offense. (R. Lopez was actually a pretty good fit with him.) But if he just embraced the role he could be one of the better centers in the league. He just doesn't want to work against bigger guys on D, rebound or defend the paint even though he can take advantage of those guys on the other end. He preffers to guard PF's who are almost all smaller than him now days, but also quicker. It's unfortunate. Maybe 20 years ago!
ChokeFasncists
RealGM

Post#12 » by ChokeFasncists » Sat Sep 1, 2018 8:28 pm

Pickled Prunes wrote:
ChokeFasncists wrote:
Pickled Prunes wrote:Poeltl was a second year player playing behind a good center on a good team that liked to go small. He'll get more run in SA.

Well, they can put Metu at PF but call him a center so LA doesn't get grumpy. Metu (at 225lbs.) is too small to guard a true center with any offensive skills. Maybe in a couple of years after he bulks up. He's the same weight as JR Smith!

No kidding, didn't realize that. Well, it's the small ball era, we'll see. Don't think he'll be playing much unless someone's out.
What made me so frustrated with LA when he was with POR was that he insisted he wasn't a center. It lead to always having someone bigger than him on the floor slowing down the offense. (R. Lopez was actually a pretty good fit with him.) But if he just embraced the role he could be one of the better centers in the league. He just doesn't want to work against bigger guys on D, rebound or defend the paint even though he can take advantage of those guys on the other end. He preffers to guard PF's who are almost all smaller than him now days, but also quicker. It's unfortunate. Maybe 20 years ago!

Kinda like Duncan? :wink: Well, again, it's the small ball era and he's getting older. Most likely gonna play more center from now on, whenever Pau doesn't play much.
Thanks for the honesty.

Return to Wiretap Discussion