Kyrie Irving, Gordon Hayward To Begin Playing 5-On-5 Next Week

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

Kyrie Irving, Gordon Hayward To Begin Playing 5-On-5 Next Week 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Tue Aug 28, 2018 2:07 am

Kyrie Irving and Gordon Hayward are expected to join their Boston Celtics' teammates in informal workouts in advance of training camp.

Irving and Hayward have been rehabbing this summer from follow-up procedures on their injuries.

Danny Ainge told ESPN on Monday that both Irving (knee) and Hayward (ankle) appear at full health and are ready for the new season.

"I don't want to hype it up too much, but I'm saying that if our training camp were starting today that they would be here today going full speed," Ainge said. "It's not like they need an extra month. I think that they know they have an extra month, so they are sort of pacing themselves. They're playing as if to build up to that opening day of training camp [Sept. 26]."

The Celtics were one win away from The Finals without Irving and Hayward.

"They'll both be here within the next week or so; by the time Labor Day is over, they will all be playing 5-on-5," Ainge said of Irving and Hayward. "I think it's just a matter of, if they're not playing 5-on-5 now, then it's only because they want it more of a controlled environment, I guess. They're doing everything -- dunking the basketball off both legs and playing one-on-one live and jumping and cutting and defending. I'm excited for them."

Via Chris Forsberg/ESPN

iliyanvs
Freshman
And1: 21

Re: Kyrie Irving, Gordon Hayward To Begin Playing 5-On-5 Next Week 

Post#2 » by iliyanvs » Tue Aug 28, 2018 4:29 pm

Honestly, I've never been so excited for a Celtic season in my life (during their last run i was too young, and not that interested in basketball). I think the only thing that can be an obstacle for them is injuries, with the current squad they have right now, if Gordon fits well, they may be the main threat for the Warrioirs by the end of the season. Also as a plan B, i think they could pull off an AD trade mid-season if things aren't going well for the Pelicans, management would probably realize that AD won't like to resign if he doesnt ask for a trade before that.
Donnyxc
Starter
And1: 247

Post#3 » by Donnyxc » Tue Aug 28, 2018 5:31 pm

iliyanvs wrote:Honestly, I've never been so excited for a Celtic season in my life (during their last run i was too young, and not that interested in basketball). I think the only thing that can be an obstacle for them is injuries, with the current squad they have right now, if Gordon fits well, they may be the main threat for the Warrioirs by the end of the season. Also as a plan B, i think they could pull off an AD trade mid-season if things aren't going well for the Pelicans, management would probably realize that AD won't like to resign if he doesnt ask for a trade before that.

Same. I feel somewhat sorry for you for not being around for 2008. It was a hell of a ride, as a fan who has followed from the 90's on. The start of 2009 as well until KG went down.

I agree with you that Plan A should be, go for it. Spread around minutes and find optimal/situational lineups.
Plan B should be looked at only mid-season. If something isn't working out. If AD gets involved and Kyrie looks like he's not interested in resigning. See what we can move, I'm sure Danny will be all over that if it's truly the case.
"If I had to choose a player to take a shot to save a game I'd choose Michael Jordan; If I had to choose a player to take a shot to save my life...I'd take Larry Bird." - Pat Riley
ajones9219
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,586

Post#4 » by ajones9219 » Tue Aug 28, 2018 7:18 pm

iliyanvs wrote:Honestly, I've never been so excited for a Celtic season in my life (during their last run i was too young, and not that interested in basketball). I think the only thing that can be an obstacle for them is injuries, with the current squad they have right now, if Gordon fits well, they may be the main threat for the Warrioirs by the end of the season. Also as a plan B, i think they could pull off an AD trade mid-season if things aren't going well for the Pelicans, management would probably realize that AD won't like to resign if he doesnt ask for a trade before that.

Unfortunately we can't trade for AD this year unless Kyrie goes in the trade which seems like a deal breaker
iliyanvs
Freshman
And1: 21

Post#5 » by iliyanvs » Tue Aug 28, 2018 7:41 pm

ajones9219 wrote:

Unfortunately we can't trade for AD this year unless Kyrie goes in the trade which seems like a deal breaker

Damn, i forgot about that, though i hope Kyrie stays after this season, if the Celts can pull off AD, Kyrie, Tatum team plus quality role players long term that would awesome. I think they will have to trade someone from JT and JB till the end of the season/start of the next season as they will both want max deals after their rookie contract. Tatum has proven to be more clutch + he is a better 3 point shooter and a FT shooter. Although i cant wait to see how they both develop this season.
Donnyxc
Starter
And1: 247

Post#6 » by Donnyxc » Tue Aug 28, 2018 8:28 pm

iliyanvs wrote:
ajones9219 wrote:

Damn, i forgot about that, though i hope Kyrie stays after this season, if the Celts can pull off AD, Kyrie, Tatum team plus quality role players long term that would awesome. I think they will have to trade someone from JT and JB till the end of the season/start of the next season as they will both want max deals after their rookie contract. Tatum has proven to be more clutch + he is a better 3 point shooter and a FT shooter. Although i cant wait to see how they both develop this season.

I really don't think Kyrie is untouchable in a AD trade. Defensively Kyrie is occasionally a liability, he just makes up for it by his incredible offense. Adding AD is a net positive, and would allow Al to play more of the 4 which he probably prefers.

The point guard is overvalued in Brad's system, as what he really wants to run is multiple ball-handlers on offense. Hayward is good with the ball in his hands, as is Horford. Brown and Tatum were forced into that role multiple times in the playoffs with mixed results, but they will become better ball-handlers this year given the experience.

Obviously Smart and Rozier. What's not spoken about is Smart's assist rate positive contribution in limited minutes. Terry, besides completely shutting down in game 7 vs Cleveland, had an incredible playoffs. Especially vs Philly and Milwaukee. This may just be me being a lunatic fan who bought a Rozier adidas celtics jersey two years ago before all the "scary terry" stuff.

Also there's more we'd need to offer NOLA. Kings pick, memphis pick etc. Also we would need to approach Horford about re-signing for a lesser immediate guaranteed money but more longer term gurantees and flexibility. There are a lot of IFs when it comes to it, but a lot more positives than negatives in a Kyrie for AD swap.
"If I had to choose a player to take a shot to save a game I'd choose Michael Jordan; If I had to choose a player to take a shot to save my life...I'd take Larry Bird." - Pat Riley
ChokeFasncists
RealGM
And1: 1,501

Post#7 » by ChokeFasncists » Tue Aug 28, 2018 9:43 pm

Congradz, what a terrible injury to Hayward.

If healthy, they are a lock to the Finals unless BS and MF get Js.
MorbidHEAT wrote:My dislike for Lin started during Linsanity. It was absurd. It's probably irrational dislike at this point, but man he gets on my nerves. He's been tearing us up though.
Thanks for the honesty.
AK47MVP
Starter
And1: 1,592

Post#8 » by AK47MVP » Tue Aug 28, 2018 11:05 pm

ChokeFasncists wrote:Congradz, what a terrible injury to Hayward.

If healthy, they are a lock to the Finals unless.

I think Raptors and Kawhi will have something to say about it.
ChokeFasncists
RealGM

Post#9 » by ChokeFasncists » Wed Aug 29, 2018 9:28 pm

AK47MVP wrote:
ChokeFasncists wrote:Congradz, what a terrible injury to Hayward.

If healthy, they are a lock to the Finals unless.

I think Raptors and Kawhi will have something to say about it.

New go to guy that's unproven outside the only team he knew, rookie coach, lost a big bench piece, they'd have to be really lucky to get past a fully healthy Celtics team.

I'll give them maybe a 5% chance.
MorbidHEAT wrote:My dislike for Lin started during Linsanity. It was absurd. It's probably irrational dislike at this point, but man he gets on my nerves. He's been tearing us up though.
Thanks for the honesty.
AK47MVP
Starter

Post#10 » by AK47MVP » Tue Sep 11, 2018 3:06 pm

ChokeFasncists wrote:

Don't be ridiculous. Celtics have as many questions if not more.
ChokeFasncists
RealGM

Post#11 » by ChokeFasncists » Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:43 pm

AK47MVP wrote:
ChokeFasncists wrote:

Such as? ("If healthy" has already been said)
Thanks for the honesty.
AK47MVP
Starter

Post#12 » by AK47MVP » Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:50 pm

ChokeFasncists wrote:
AK47MVP wrote:
ChokeFasncists wrote:

Point is neither Hayward nor Irwing had any part in Celtics playoff run. How is the chemistry going to be and how well they will play is the same unknown like how well Leonard and Green will mesh with Toronto core. To give Raptors only 5 % chance when they had best record in the East last year and now added Leonard and Green and got rid of idiot Casey is plain disrespectful. I say they have as good chance as Celtics to win the east, about 40% each. I will leave Philly and Indiana with 5% though.
AK47MVP
Starter

Post#13 » by AK47MVP » Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:52 pm

ChokeFasncists wrote:lost a big bench piece,

What kind of big bench piece they lost? Are you talking Poeltl??? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
If so maybe you should check how big he played in playoffs;)
ChokeFasncists
RealGM

Post#14 » by ChokeFasncists » Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:21 am

AK47MVP wrote:
ChokeFasncists wrote:lost a big bench piece,

What kind of big bench piece they lost? Are you talking Poeltl??? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
If so maybe you should check how big he played in playoffs;)

22 years old, 1st time serious playoffs pt, 12.6p 9.3r per36, 55%FG, that's not too bad? You expect him to be Dirk or Timmay?

That's not very important anyways, he was a big part of a very good bench in the regular season, helping the team to the best record in the East last year, him not playing well might have been contributed to the team not doing very well in the playoffs?

AK47MVP wrote:
ChokeFasncists wrote:
AK47MVP wrote:

Point is neither Hayward nor Irwing had any part in Celtics playoff run. How is the chemistry going to be and how well they will play is the same unknown like how well Leonard and Green will mesh with Toronto core. To give Raptors only 5 % chance when they had best record in the East last year and now added Leonard and Green and got rid of idiot Casey is plain disrespectful. I say they have as good chance as Celtics to win the east, about 40% each. I will leave Philly and Indiana with 5% though.

Idiot Casey? Unfortunately Nurse was his lead assistant, should we expect him to be way better? or come close to the great Stephens? Kyrie played pretty well under Stephens in the regular season and Hayward knows the system very well, it's not the same unknown at all. The Raptors might have the best record again, but for them to play excellent in the playoffs are entirely two different matters.

The Raptors depended seriously on DD and will be on Kawaii, the same cannot be said about the Celtics on Kyrie and Hayward.

I'd give the Pacers maybe 3%, if the new guys all play well and Turner turns it on. Philly needs Simmons and MF to get Js, that won't be easy.
Thanks for the honesty.
AK47MVP
Starter

Post#15 » by AK47MVP » Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:00 pm

ChokeFasncists wrote:Idiot Casey? Unfortunately Nurse was his lead assistant, should we expect him to be way better?

Anybody would be better than Casey. He was great assistant coach, never should have been a head coach - was terrible in numerous ways and I do not even want to go back and talk about it. But of course people who do not watch games and see just win numbers think he did great and won COY for a reason lol. When it was actually Nurse who re-invented Raptors offence last year. Casey was terrible, period. Just removing him makes Raptors better.
AK47MVP
Starter

Post#16 » by AK47MVP » Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:08 pm

ChokeFasncists wrote:22 years old, 1st time serious playoffs pt, 12.6p 9.3r per36, 55%FG, that's not too bad? You expect him to be Dirk or Timmay?

Per 36 minute stats are garbage. He only played 15 min a game and was mostly invisible. Check advanced stats - they are almost all negative.
AK47MVP
Starter

Post#17 » by AK47MVP » Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:18 pm

ChokeFasncists wrote: Kyrie played pretty well under Stephens in the regular season and Hayward knows the system very well, it's not the same unknown at all. The Raptors might have the best record again, but for them to play excellent in the playoffs are entirely two different matters.
The Raptors depended seriously on DD and will be on Kawaii, the same cannot be said about the Celtics on Kyrie and Hayward.

Hayward did not play at all with Celtics except in pre -season and he did not look that great or comfortable at that time. So he is big question mark even without taking his gruesome injury into consideration. Kyrie did well while playing but that was before Rozier emerged and all other youngsters took on much bigger roles in playoffs. There is only one ball - I can totally see some ego issues happening if Kyrie will be as ball dominant as he was before. Will Rozier remain as happy and as productive in limited minutes? How Tatum and Brown will adjust to Hayward taking tons of their usage and minutes? It is a nice problem to have but to pencil Celtics as a sure win is very pre mature.
And Raptors did not really depend on DD that much. They actually looked better when he was not playing - ball movement and defence was like day and night difference. Now you add Kawhi and Green? Come on, they are going to be best team in the East defensively by far. And offence with those two will be better than last year as well.
In fact their playoff failures can be put mostly on DeRozan disappearing and Casey being impotent when it comes to figuring how to beat LeBron and Cavs - 0-10 in playoffs vs same team is beyond pathetic. Both Indiana and Celtics showed how to play Cavs, yet Casey was stubbornly clinging to his own stupid ideas. Now that he is gone, LeBron or not Raptors are going to be in Eastern finals and will have as good of a chance as Celtics to make it to the finals.
ChokeFasncists
RealGM

Post#18 » by ChokeFasncists » Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:00 pm

AK47MVP wrote:
ChokeFasncists wrote:Idiot Casey? Unfortunately Nurse was his lead assistant, should we expect him to be way better?

Anybody would be better than Casey. He was great assistant coach, never should have been a head coach - was terrible in numerous ways and I do not even want to go back and talk about it. But of course people who do not watch games and see just win numbers think he did great and won COY for a reason lol. When it was actually Nurse who re-invented Raptors offence last year. Casey was terrible, period. Just removing him makes Raptors better.

I didn't mean to say Casey was good at all. But who knows if his lead assistant is gonna be better than him?
Thanks for the honesty.
ChokeFasncists
RealGM

Post#19 » by ChokeFasncists » Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:03 pm

AK47MVP wrote:
ChokeFasncists wrote:22 years old, 1st time serious playoffs pt, 12.6p 9.3r per36, 55%FG, that's not too bad? You expect him to be Dirk or Timmay?

Per 36 minute stats are garbage. He only played 15 min a game and was mostly invisible. Check advanced stats - they are almost all negative.

Yea, but so? He was 22 years old, 1st time serious playoffs pt. The point is, he was an important part of the team.

Per36 isn't garbage, he might not have done anything great, but he produced when he had the chance.
Thanks for the honesty.
ChokeFasncists
RealGM

Post#20 » by ChokeFasncists » Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:32 pm

AK47MVP wrote:
ChokeFasncists wrote: Kyrie played pretty well under Stephens in the regular season and Hayward knows the system very well, it's not the same unknown at all. The Raptors might have the best record again, but for them to play excellent in the playoffs are entirely two different matters.

Hayward did not play at all with Celtics except in pre -season and he did not look that great or comfortable at that time. So he is big question mark even without taking his gruesome injury into consideration. Kyrie did well while playing but that was before Rozier emerged and all other youngsters took on much bigger roles in playoffs. There is only one ball - I can totally see some ego issues happening if Kyrie will be as ball dominant as he was before. Will Rozier remain as happy and as productive in limited minutes? How Tatum and Brown will adjust to Hayward taking tons of their usage and minutes? It is a nice problem to have but to pencil Celtics as a sure win is very pre mature.

They have Stevens, he's proven, they'll be fine. Kyrie might not be happy, but they don't need him very much. He's been in this situation and won a chip (even tho with outside help). He's an FA, if he causes trouble it would look very bad on him. There's no need. Tatum can play the 4, so it's really not a big problem. All three of those wings are good/willing passers. Two of them are still very young too.
And Raptors did not really depend on DD that much. They actually looked better when he was not playing - ball movement and defence was like day and night difference. Now you add Kawhi and Green? Come on, they are going to be best team in the East defensively by far. And offence with those two will be better than last year as well.

Are you serious? DD averaged 27 and 5 against the Wiz. The team didn't play well if he didn't play well. Kawaii and Green are both big question marks. They have never succeeded outside the Spurs. Green has declined a bit. Kawaii has injury and mental problems that are "mysterious". Chemistry is a big unknown, especially with a new coach. If Kawaii is healthy, D is gonna be good, I'll give you that. But the Celtics' D isn't bad either, not so sure about "by far".

In fact their playoff failures can be put mostly on DeRozan disappearing and Casey being impotent when it comes to figuring how to beat LeBron and Cavs - 0-10 in playoffs vs same team is beyond pathetic. Both Indiana and Celtics showed how to play Cavs, yet Casey was stubbornly clinging to his own stupid ideas. Now that he is gone, LeBron or not Raptors are going to be in Eastern finals and will have as good of a chance as Celtics to make it to the finals.

That's the best case scenario on paper, it's not impossible, we shall see.
Thanks for the honesty.

Return to Wiretap Discussion