Rockets Trade Ryan Anderson To Suns For Brandon Knight, Marquese Chriss

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 292

Rockets Trade Ryan Anderson To Suns For Brandon Knight, Marquese Chriss 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Fri Aug 31, 2018 1:04 pm

The Houston Rockets have traded Ryan Anderson and De'Anthony Melton to the Phoenix Suns for Marquese Chriss and Brandon Knight.

Houston had been attempting to trade Anderson for more than a year. Anderson is owed $41 million over the final two years of his contract compared to two years and $30 million for Knight.

Knight missed last season due to a torn ACL.

Anderson could conceivably start at power forward for the Suns.

Via Adrian Wojnarowski/ESPN

BallerTalk
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,816

Re: Rockets Trade Ryan Anderson To Suns For Brandon Knight, Marquese Chriss 

Post#2 » by BallerTalk » Fri Aug 31, 2018 1:30 pm

Morey the magician strikes again.
You checkin' for the sound of the beast
I'm the hound, I'ma creep, I get down, I'ma eat
I'ma keep somethin' to lay a naysayer to sleep
-
Makaveli2
Junior
And1: 56

Post#3 » by Makaveli2 » Fri Aug 31, 2018 2:31 pm

I’m a morey and rocket fan. This trade is meh, saves us a bit of money that’s it. I’ll happily eat my words but not expecting much from Knight and chriss.
BallerTalk wrote:Morey the magician strikes again.
Rollie
Junior
And1: 34

Post#4 » by Rollie » Fri Aug 31, 2018 2:37 pm

Makaveli2 wrote:I’m a morey and rocket fan. This trade is meh, saves us a bit of money that’s it. I’ll happily eat my words but not expecting much from Knight and chriss.

I'm guessing that was the main reason behind it, but flipping one or both would be a plus.
ToJoBuckets
Freshman
And1: 10

Post#5 » by ToJoBuckets » Fri Aug 31, 2018 2:47 pm

I just pray in my lifetime the Suns can return to glory and have a hierarchy who cares about hoops, player development, basketball philosophy, the fans, the city, the state, the league..... really anything besides dollars.
sfernald
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,247

Post#6 » by sfernald » Fri Aug 31, 2018 3:15 pm

ToJoBuckets wrote:I just pray in my lifetime the Suns can return to glory and have a hierarchy who cares about hoops, player development, basketball philosophy, the fans, the city, the state, the league..... really anything besides dollars.

As anything it’s a cycle game. Suns had a very good team for quite a while during the Nash years.

You can see the pendulum starting to sway back the other way. You have a group of talented kids this year. Enough to even start winning a bit. Defend their home floor. Try to go 500. This could be the year they start their ascent. Just need patience. It’s an old adage but still apropo: Rome wasn’t built in a day. A lot is riding on Ayton panning out though for sure.
BasketballJosh
Junior
And1: 35

Post#7 » by BasketballJosh » Fri Aug 31, 2018 3:24 pm

Chriss is a bust and I'd be surprised if he sticks with the team throughout the year. But, Brandon Knight (when healthy) is a good pickup. If anything else it REALLY solidifies a solid guard rotation. Definitely one of the best in the game with CP3 and Eric Gordon. Good enough to beat the Dubs? Probably not.
Phystic
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,646

Post#8 » by Phystic » Fri Aug 31, 2018 3:32 pm

sfernald wrote:
ToJoBuckets wrote:I just pray in my lifetime the Suns can return to glory and have a hierarchy who cares about hoops, player development, basketball philosophy, the fans, the city, the state, the league..... really anything besides dollars.

As anything it’s a cycle game. Suns had a very good team for quite a while during the Nash years.

You can see the pendulum starting to sway back the other way. You have a group of talented kids this year. Enough to even start winning a bit. Defend their home floor. Try to go 500. This could be the year they start their ascent. Just need patience. It’s an old adage but still apropo: Rome wasn’t built in a day. A lot is riding on Ayton panning out though for sure.

Couldn't agree more. And I'm always surprised at people that say Suns FO are only worried about money. Sarver hasn't ever had an issue spending, and to be honest that's been the biggest hurdle. He wants to spend to make a competitive team immediately his lack of patience has caused our rebuild to take a lot longer than it should.

Also surprised at the hate McD gets. He's done a pretty solid job digging our team out of rubble and getting us on a much better track. Coaching has been the biggest issue really.

Oh and I find it amusing the amount of people saying Knight could be a solid get for them when for the last few years EVERYONE has been saying how Knight is the worst contract in the league and he's awful.
dan-man
Sixth Man
And1: 364

Post#9 » by dan-man » Fri Aug 31, 2018 3:48 pm

Whats so magical about this deal? Looks like a poo flinging contest to me while Houston saves a little against the cap.
BallerTalk
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,816

Post#10 » by BallerTalk » Fri Aug 31, 2018 4:08 pm

dan-man wrote:

Whats so magical about this deal? Looks like a poo flinging contest to me while Houston saves a little against the cap.

I guess you missed all the talk over the last year about how unmovable the Anderson contract was and how many first round picks it would take to get a team to take him.

Morey ended up moving him with a second round pick in exchange for two young players on short deals, for less money, with the opportunity to see if either can blossom into a role in the rotation.
You checkin' for the sound of the beast
I'm the hound, I'ma creep, I get down, I'ma eat
I'ma keep somethin' to lay a naysayer to sleep
-
iliyanvs
Freshman
And1: 21

Post#11 » by iliyanvs » Fri Aug 31, 2018 4:13 pm

I mean, I think the Rockets won that one, first - because they saved like 10 mil, and second - Knight is still a young player with an upside even with the injury he had last year.
Pickled Prunes
Head Coach
And1: 1,204

Post#12 » by Pickled Prunes » Fri Aug 31, 2018 4:59 pm

BallerTalk wrote:
dan-man wrote:

I guess you missed all the talk over the last year about how unmovable the Anderson contract was and how many first round picks it would take to get a team to take him.

Morey ended up moving him with a second round pick in exchange for two young players on short deals, for less money, with the opportunity to see if either can blossom into a role in the rotation.

HOU essentially traded $41M that was going to be watching from the bench for a very serviceable b/u guard and a 3rd year lottery pick... both of whom have been in a terrible tanking situation in PHX. We don't yet know what Chriss can become. If they can get a combined 82 healthy games between Knight and CP3, this is a win. Somehow HOU also saved millions!
12footrim
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,316

Post#13 » by 12footrim » Fri Aug 31, 2018 5:05 pm

Rollie wrote:
Makaveli2 wrote:I’m a morey and rocket fan. This trade is meh, saves us a bit of money that’s it. I’ll happily eat my words but not expecting much from Knight and chriss.

I'm guessing that was the main reason behind it, but flipping one or both would be a plus.

My initial thought was that it would probably be more easy to move Knight or Chriss than Anderson. It's a great trade in that it also saves money and that Knight is probably more playable in the playoffs than Anderson as well.
Where I write

The Hoops Resource
12footrim
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,316

Post#14 » by 12footrim » Fri Aug 31, 2018 5:09 pm

iliyanvs wrote:I mean, I think the Rockets won that one, first - because they saved like 10 mil, and second - Knight is still a young player with an upside even with the injury he had last year.

He'll be 27 in 3 months. That's the peak of prime for most players. He's kind of weird in that he hasn't played in a year and is coming off injury but this should be the time he is as good as he will ever be. I suppose it's possible you could take his best season ever and even could be a little better than that if he's fully healed.
Where I write

The Hoops Resource
Grumpy Heat Fan
General Manager
And1: 8,303

Post#15 » by Grumpy Heat Fan » Fri Aug 31, 2018 5:11 pm

Brandon Knight is still in the league??? I remember him on my fantasy team, racking up assists for me on the regular, back in the days when he and Steve Nash were the best assists guys to have. Good for him to have this kind of longevity, I always admired him as a PG. The very definition of a WILLING passer. I think he is what defines a PG if God would make a PG.

I hope he can win a ring in Houston before he retires.
"As for me personally, I don't truly care how much I make these days, my main focus is on playing for a winner." - Dirk Nowitzki, July 2016
dice
RealGM
And1: 12,520

Post#16 » by dice » Fri Aug 31, 2018 5:17 pm

it saves a lot of money given the luxury tax. and that's the reason this trade was done. same reason why they didn't re-sign ariza

$$$$$$
the donald, always unpopular, did worse in EVERY state in 2020. and by a greater margin in red states! 50 independently-run elections, none of them rigged
gabri3l3
Junior
And1: 468

Post#17 » by gabri3l3 » Fri Aug 31, 2018 5:27 pm

No way Anderson is starting at the 4; they have a glut of players at the forward spot in need of playing time
donemilio21
Analyst
And1: 773

Post#18 » by donemilio21 » Fri Aug 31, 2018 5:51 pm

it depends on what Houston will do (and was going to do) between now and Oct 31st, but this deal has potential to save Rockets up to $27-28 million. so yeah, win for Houston. They also created a small trade exception, and still have their tax-player mid level exception to sign a player.
IWishIWasHarden
Sixth Man
And1: 159

Post#19 » by IWishIWasHarden » Fri Aug 31, 2018 6:18 pm

Grumpy Heat Fan wrote:Brandon Knight is still in the league??? I remember him on my fantasy team, racking up assists for me on the regular, back in the days when he and Steve Nash were the best assists guys to have. Good for him to have this kind of longevity, I always admired him as a PG. The very definition of a WILLING passer. I think he is what defines a PG if God would make a PG.

I hope he can win a ring in Houston before he retires.

That's the other Brandon Knight you're thinking of. This Knight is in his prime.
ChokeFasncists
RealGM
And1: 1,501

Post#20 » by ChokeFasncists » Fri Aug 31, 2018 6:21 pm

Good job and good luck for Morey to get Melton at 46th, looks like he had a good summer league and a lot of GMs are high on him.

Lets see how he does.

Anderson can't play much against elite teams but on the Suns he should be able to help.

Would be interesting if Chriss can realize his potential with MDA and Bzdelik.
MorbidHEAT wrote:My dislike for Lin started during Linsanity. It was absurd. It's probably irrational dislike at this point, but man he gets on my nerves. He's been tearing us up though.
Thanks for the honesty.

Return to Wiretap Discussion