Joel Embiid: I Pretended My Way To The NBA

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 292

Joel Embiid: I Pretended My Way To The NBA 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Fri Aug 31, 2018 3:03 pm

Joel Embiid wrote a first person essay at The Players' Tribune explaining his journey from Cameroon to the NBA.

When Embiid was in high school, he taught himself to shoot by watching a YouTube video following the search of 'WHITE PEOPLE SHOOTING 3 POINTERS.'

"I pretended my way to the NBA," wrote Embiid. "I seriously got to the league by watching YouTube and living in the gym. There’s no other way to explain it. Remember when KG won the title with the Celtics, and he was acting all crazy, screaming out, “ANYTHING IS POSSIBLLLLLLLLLLLLLE!!!!!!!!!!!!”

"That speaks to me. That’s my life. It happened so fast that it doesn’t even make sense."

Embiid was greatly influenced by Kobe Bryant and Hakeem Olajuwon.

"Thank you, Kobe. Thank you, Hakeem. Thank you, Mom and Dad. Thank you, Kansas. Thank you, Philly. Thank you, Lil’ Bow Wow. Thank you, Random White People.

It's a move, I swear."

Via RealGM Staff Report

Hoopzilla
Starter
And1: 520

Re: Joel Embiid: I Pretended My Way To The NBA 

Post#2 » by Hoopzilla » Fri Aug 31, 2018 4:16 pm

"I seriously got to the league by watching YouTube and living in the gym. There’s no other way to explain it..."

Seven foot players get multiple contracts (opportunities to figure it out) in the NBA solely because they are seven feet tall. It is a very simple explanation. There are literally hundreds of examples before him. You don't need any talent at all for an NBA team to take a chance on a seven footer that possesses a lick of athletic ability. :crazy:
Donnyxc
Starter
And1: 247

Post#3 » by Donnyxc » Fri Aug 31, 2018 4:27 pm

The Tarik Black story was pretty good lol
"If I had to choose a player to take a shot to save a game I'd choose Michael Jordan; If I had to choose a player to take a shot to save my life...I'd take Larry Bird." - Pat Riley
Dloading24
Sophomore
And1: 220

Post#4 » by Dloading24 » Fri Aug 31, 2018 4:45 pm

what normal people see - "Thank you, Kobe. Thank you, Hakeem. Thank you, Mom and Dad. Thank you, Kansas. Thank you, Philly. Thank you, Lil’ Bow Wow. Thank you, Random White People"

what Lakers fan and media sees and then assumes "Thank you, Kobe" -> Embiid is a Kobe fan so he must be considering joining the Lakers as a potential destination.
"Is that a trick question? They gave up Kwamay Brown, WHO CARES?!....Number two and more importantly KWAMAY BROWN is gone. The city of Angles, Hollywood, should be celebrating. Throw a parade already whether you win a championship or not"
Perishable517
Analyst
And1: 1,943

Post#5 » by Perishable517 » Fri Aug 31, 2018 4:46 pm

What a great story!
" If you take away the alc l r g on Malcolm Brogdon is Mom Bod :("
- emunney

"I’d place the phone directly between my cheeks while I let one rip right in John Hammond’s ear."
- BroncoBuck
Harry Garris
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 13,517

Post#6 » by Harry Garris » Fri Aug 31, 2018 5:04 pm

Hoopzilla wrote:"I seriously got to the league by watching YouTube and living in the gym. There’s no other way to explain it..."

Seven foot players get multiple contracts (opportunities to figure it out) in the NBA solely because they are seven feet tall. It is a very simple explanation. There are literally hundreds of examples before him. You don't need any talent at all for an NBA team to take a chance on a seven footer that possesses a lick of athletic ability. :crazy:

That was true in the 90s it's not true anymore today. There are tons of 7 footers leaving college that are decent players that still go undrafted every single year.
GordanFreeman
Assistant Coach
And1: 5,165

Post#7 » by GordanFreeman » Fri Aug 31, 2018 6:19 pm

Hoopzilla wrote:"I seriously got to the league by watching YouTube and living in the gym. There’s no other way to explain it..."

Context homie. He started playing b-ball in his late teens and now he's the best center in the league, one of the most talented and impactful players. Also, what the poster above me said.
thinktank
Analyst
And1: 1,703

Post#8 » by thinktank » Fri Aug 31, 2018 6:39 pm

One of the worst Player's Tribune articles I've ever read.

His story isn't even consistent.
"a poor addition to the board"
Hakimbrook46
Sophomore
And1: 3

Post#9 » by Hakimbrook46 » Fri Aug 31, 2018 7:01 pm

NO ONE luckier than an African kid that made it to the NBA. Believe that. Scouts hardly even scout that land. In his case particularly, if not for Luc Mbah A' Moute, that whole talent would've gone to waste.
cheese318
Sixth Man
And1: 227

Post#10 » by cheese318 » Fri Aug 31, 2018 7:11 pm

Mozgov actually got even more. Still do not understand what Mitch Kupchak was doing with that awful contract. At least Luol Deng was very good prior to joining the LAL, not saying he deserved that big money contract. Mozgov didn’t make any sense. He wasn’t even that great. He was paid that much money because he was 7 Ft tall. Look what the wizards paid Mahimi. It’s crazy what these guys are getting

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app
Hoopzilla wrote:
Whether I was born or not when the Orlando Magic tried to form a Super Team means absolutely nothing to this conversation. One thing is pretty clear, you are the load your mother should have swallowed and moved on with her life... :nod:
Hoopzilla
Starter

Post#11 » by Hoopzilla » Fri Aug 31, 2018 8:05 pm

GordanFreeman wrote:

Context homie. He started playing b-ball in his late teens and now he's the best center in the league, one of the most talented and impactful players. Also, what the poster above me said.

A little reading comprehension would do you wonders. I said there were many before him. Do you have any clue how many seven footers "never picked up a ball until their teens" and got drafted?

https://fadeawayworld.net/2018/06/29/10-nba-players-who-started-playing-basketball-very-late/

Mutombo didn't even start playing until he was accepted at Georgetown... :lol:

The lack of self awareness and knowledge of the history of the game is hilarious with these guys.

Mutombo was an all star when he was a rookie, which is being named a top center in the league, while basically still learning the game of basketball. And he didn't have the luxury of sitting on a bench for two years watching pros and learning schemes. But you were saying... :lol:
24istheLAW
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,858

Post#12 » by 24istheLAW » Fri Aug 31, 2018 8:08 pm

Hakimbrook46 wrote:NO ONE luckier than an African kid that made it to the NBA. Believe that. Scouts hardly even scout that land. In his case particularly, if not for Luc Mbah A' Moute, that whole talent would've gone to waste.

Embiid acknowledges it himself, he got invited because he was 6'10". In 2018, when you're that tall and an athlete, organized basketball finds you. That's why you look around the league, and the top big men are from all over the world, yet all the good guards are Americans. 7 footers get noticed and ushered into bball anywhere.

The story is still incredible. I remember watching the Kansas late night scrimmage before his freshman year. The announcers mentioned he was a raw African big man from Cameroon with defensive upside. Then he airballed a 3 and missed a FT if I remember correctly. And the KU broadcaster was like "we won't be seeing him take many of those when the season starts".
Jeff Van Gully
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 24,924

Post#13 » by Jeff Van Gully » Fri Aug 31, 2018 8:16 pm

Hoopzilla wrote:
GordanFreeman wrote:

A little reading comprehension would do you wonders. I said there were many before him. Do you have any clue how many seven footers "never picked up a ball until their teens" and got drafted?

https://fadeawayworld.net/2018/06/29/10-nba-players-who-started-playing-basketball-very-late/

The lack of self awareness and knowledge of the history of the game is hilarious with these guys.

Mutombo was an all star when he was a rookie still learning the game of basketball.

you turned an exception into a rule. there are seven footers bagging groceries all over the world right now. they don't all get a chance at the NBA. not even most of them.

the NBA is the most selective, hardest entry major pro sports league. approximately 500 people on earth at a given moment are qualified to play in it. height may be the first differentiator. but by your logic the scrubby 7 footers playing rec ball and lesser pro leagues all around the world should just be in the NBA.
RIP magnumt

welcome home, thibs.
mplsfonz23
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,310

Post#14 » by mplsfonz23 » Fri Aug 31, 2018 8:23 pm

Guess the video of white people shooting 3's didn't work. 32% is okay I guess for a 7 footer.
mplsfonz23
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,310

Post#15 » by mplsfonz23 » Fri Aug 31, 2018 8:26 pm

thinktank wrote:One of the worst Player's Tribune articles I've ever read.

How's that?
Hoopzilla
Starter

Post#16 » by Hoopzilla » Fri Aug 31, 2018 8:31 pm

Jeff Van Gully wrote:
Hoopzilla wrote:
GordanFreeman wrote:

Mutombo was an all star when he was a rookie still learning the game of basketball.

you turned an exception into a rule. there are seven footers bagging groceries all over the world right now. they don't all get a chance at the NBA. not even most of them.

the NBA is the most selective, hardest entry major pro sports league. approximately 500 people on earth at a given moment are qualified to play in it. height may be the first differentiator. but by your logic the scrubby 7 footers playing rec ball and lesser pro leagues all around the world should just be in the NBA.

No, you were given a list of ten "exceptions". When there is ten, it is not an exception, it happens quite frequently. There is also a very long list of clumsy, unskilled seven footers making millions while teams "hope" they catch on... And they never did.

Mutombo is the best example since he was a HOF player and never picked up a ball until college. He proves my point best. Ever heard of a guy six foot or under play professionally for years and still suck? :lol: There is a list of guys the length of a seven footers arm that were drafted for height and little else. You show me a seven footer with a lick of athletic ability and is not already showing some sort of degenerative disease and I will show you a prospect that has the league's scouts attention. I thought the relatively good health was implied, I shouldn't take have to give that distinction.
koogiking
Veteran
And1: 1,080

Post#17 » by koogiking » Fri Aug 31, 2018 9:35 pm

Dloading24 wrote:what normal people see - "Thank you, Kobe. Thank you, Hakeem. Thank you, Mom and Dad. Thank you, Kansas. Thank you, Philly. Thank you, Lil’ Bow Wow. Thank you, Random White People"

what Lakers fan and media sees and then assumes "Thank you, Kobe" -> Embiid is a Kobe fan so he must be considering joining the Lakers as a potential destination.

Lmfaooo I'm weakk :lol: :lol: :lol:
GeorgeMarcus
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 23,045

Post#18 » by GeorgeMarcus » Fri Aug 31, 2018 10:43 pm

mplsfonz23 wrote:
thinktank wrote:One of the worst Player's Tribune articles I've ever read.

How's that?

lol exactly. Weird to post that without clarifying how it isn’t consistent
The Legend of George Marcus

"Where I'm from, bullies get bullied." - Zach Randolph
ontnut
RealGM
And1: 8,035

Post#19 » by ontnut » Sat Sep 1, 2018 1:56 pm

Hakimbrook46 wrote:NO ONE luckier than an African kid that made it to the NBA. Believe that. Scouts hardly even scout that land. In his case particularly, if not for Luc Mbah A' Moute, that whole talent would've gone to waste.

Masai is working very hard to change that.
ontnut
RealGM
And1: 8,035

Post#20 » by ontnut » Sat Sep 1, 2018 1:58 pm

Wonder how good I'll get at dunking after watching all those "Black people dunking from the foul line" videos on Youtube.

Return to Wiretap Discussion