Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 301

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Mon Sep 10, 2018 4:00 pm

Andrew Bynum is attempting a comeback to the NBA at the age of 30. Bynum turns 31 in October.

Bynum has hired an agent and is scheduling workouts with teams before the start of training camp.

Bynum hasn't played in the NBA since the 13-14 season.

Via Shams Charania/The Athletic

iliyanvs
Freshman
And1: 21

Re: 

Post#2 » by iliyanvs » Mon Sep 10, 2018 4:26 pm

Lakers could sign him as a rotation center as they arent very rich in the 5 position. Similar to what is Emeka Okafor for the Pelicans.
12footrim
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,357

Re: 

Post#3 » by 12footrim » Mon Sep 10, 2018 7:26 pm

Why now would be my question. Wouldn't he likely have been just as healthy 2 years ago.
tribulations
Analyst
And1: 1,299

Re: Re: 

Post#4 » by tribulations » Mon Sep 10, 2018 8:42 pm

12footrim wrote:Why now would be my question. Wouldn't he likely have been just as healthy 2 years ago.

Definitely not for love of the game. Mans out of money would be my bet.
dan-man
Sixth Man
And1: 366

Re: 

Post#5 » by dan-man » Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:13 pm

There should be a rule for players like this who have eaten up too many injury plagued NBA contract dollars; play 300-500 G-league minutes before allowed to sign any deal.
dan-man
Sixth Man

Re: 

Post#6 » by dan-man » Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:17 pm

Bynum might be more sluggish than Jahlil Okafor. Definitely not built for todays NBA, assuming his legs aren't brittle as F, which they are.
Pickled Prunes
General Manager
And1: 1,268

Post#7 » by Pickled Prunes » Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:21 pm

iliyanvs wrote:Lakers could sign him as a rotation center as they arent very rich in the 5 position. Similar to what is Emeka Okafor for the Pelicans.

He could start for the Lakers... they have nothing at Center! (Sorry JaVale!)
Rek
Senior
And1: 141

Post#8 » by Rek » Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:39 pm

12footrim wrote:Why now would be my question. Wouldn't he likely have been just as healthy 2 years ago.

Probably worth comparing his net worth from 2 years ago to what he has left now.
Rek
Senior
And1: 141

Post#9 » by Rek » Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:41 pm

*fat finger phone double post
ccvle
Head Coach
And1: 1,749

Re: 

Post#10 » by ccvle » Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:17 pm

Is prime Bynum a good fit for today's game?
arasu
Rookie
And1: 147

Re: 

Post#11 » by arasu » Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:18 pm

I recall Bynum getting reprimanded severely for attempting an open three early in the clock. Maybe he thinks he can play like Embiid, and now is his time to show the world. I doubt he will be given a chance, and his apparent lack of work ethic and motor will be the reason.
arasu
Rookie

Post#12 » by arasu » Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:19 pm

Rek wrote:

Probably worth comparing his net worth from 2 years ago to what he has left now.
I've personally seen his spending habit at work. No doubt he is broke.
ChokeFasncists
RealGM
And1: 1,501

Re: 

Post#13 » by ChokeFasncists » Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:20 pm

It's been a while......highly doubt he fits in today's NBA.

GSW in case Cousins doesn't pan out?
MorbidHEAT wrote:My dislike for Lin started during Linsanity. It was absurd. It's probably irrational dislike at this point, but man he gets on my nerves. He's been tearing us up though.
Thanks for the honesty.
dan-man
Sixth Man

Post#14 » by dan-man » Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:27 pm

ccvle wrote:Is prime Bynum a good fit for today's game?

Nope, not at all. And even prime Bynum had frail legs... He's slower than Jahlil Okafor.
iliyanvs
Freshman
And1: 21

Post#15 » by iliyanvs » Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:47 pm

Pickled Prunes wrote:
iliyanvs wrote:Lakers could sign him as a rotation center as they arent very rich in the 5 position. Similar to what is Emeka Okafor for the Pelicans.

I'm sorry, but i disagree. Javale has worked his ass off the last few years just to be happy with 5-10 mins a game with the GSW and now he's probably earned likely 5 mins per game more for the Lakers, while Bynum was doing god knows what, god knows where the last 4 years, while we still don't know if he is fit and if he still doesnt have the knees of an 80 years old.
I like the idea of him being signed, but if he's gonna play any minutes he has to earn them.
Pickled Prunes
General Manager

Post#16 » by Pickled Prunes » Tue Sep 11, 2018 12:40 am

iliyanvs wrote:
Pickled Prunes wrote:

I'm sorry, but i disagree. Javale has worked his ass off the last few years just to be happy with 5-10 mins a game with the GSW and now he's probably earned likely 5 mins per game more for the Lakers, while Bynum was doing god knows what, god knows where the last 4 years, while we still don't know if he is fit and if he still doesnt have the knees of an 80 years old.
I like the idea of him being signed, but if he's gonna play any minutes he has to earn them.

You can disagree if you like. Bynum is an idiot but he has some talent. JaVale is in the NBA for one reason and one reason only... he's 7-feet tall. If he were 6' 9" he would never have been drafted. If Bynum can walk he'll be a better player than JaVale. It is what it is.
arasu
Rookie

Post#17 » by arasu » Tue Sep 11, 2018 1:50 am

Pickled Prunes wrote:
iliyanvs wrote:
Pickled Prunes wrote:He could start for the Lakers... they have nothing at Center! (Sorry JaVale!)

You can disagree if you like. Bynum is an idiot but he has some talent. JaVale is in the NBA for one reason and one reason only... he's 7-feet tall. If he were 6' 9" he would never have been drafted. If Bynum can walk he'll be a better player than JaVale. It is what it is.

McGee is a skilled shot blocker. He moves well without the ball on offense. Those skills are very useful in today's NBA. Bynum's post skills are not nearly as useful in today's NBA. If Bynum has the mobility to adapt on offense and can still block shots on D, he could be better than McGee, mostly because McGee has frequent mental lapses. Bynum's mobility and motivation are the big questions here. If he is noticeably less mobile and/or motivated than McGee, he will not deserve more minutes, and probably won't deserve any.
Cookin Baskets
Sixth Man
And1: 266

Re: 

Post#18 » by Cookin Baskets » Tue Sep 11, 2018 2:12 am

Stay away from the 76ers we don't like you :-x
I don't think I Trust The Process anymore! :banghead:
We are the originals! We are the Philadelphia 76ers!
oceanlife
Junior
And1: 727

Re: 

Post#19 » by oceanlife » Tue Sep 11, 2018 2:45 am

Bynum looks like he is in shape and he's as big and imposing as ever, but I fear it's fools gold.

I saw Bynum's workout video and his vertical is sub 20" at the moment. For reference, no rookie this year measured under 30". He can get up to a decent speed but he has no acceleration or first step. His pivots are sluggish. I wish him all the best, but his body looks shot.

Prove me wrong big fella.
Pickled Prunes
General Manager

Post#20 » by Pickled Prunes » Tue Sep 11, 2018 3:26 am

arasu wrote:
Pickled Prunes wrote:
iliyanvs wrote:I'm sorry, but i disagree. Javale has worked his ass off the last few years just to be happy with 5-10 mins a game with the GSW and now he's probably earned likely 5 mins per game more for the Lakers, while Bynum was doing god knows what, god knows where the last 4 years, while we still don't know if he is fit and if he still doesnt have the knees of an 80 years old.

McGee is a skilled shot blocker. He moves well without the ball on offense. Those skills are very useful in today's NBA. Bynum's post skills are not nearly as useful in today's NBA. If Bynum has the mobility to adapt on offense and can still block shots on D, he could be better than McGee, mostly because McGee has frequent mental lapses. Bynum's mobility and motivation are the big questions here. If he is noticeably less mobile and/or motivated than McGee, he will not deserve more minutes, and probably won't deserve any.

JaVale looked good as the worst player on the floor for an amazing team. He was a novelty that we all enjoyed. He's about to look bad as the worst player on the floor for a pretty bad team. He's going from a team with great floor spacing to a team with seemingly none. It could be pretty ugly.

On the other hand, Bynum was a WC All-Star. He actually could play. And he's the same age as JaVale. Motivation is a factor for sure, and I wouldn't touch him with a 10 foot pole... But he's still a far more talented player tan JaVale.

Return to Wiretap Discussion