Re: Adam Silver Encourages Teams To Hire More Women

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 292

Adam Silver Encourages Teams To Hire More Women 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Sat Sep 22, 2018 1:41 am

Adam Silver wants all teams to hire more women, especially in leadership and supervisory positions.

Silver, in a memo sent to all teams Friday and obtained by ESPN, also asked teams to thoroughly review the report that was released earlier this week about the Mavericks. 

"Use this opportunity to make changes and create a dialogue within your organizations about workplace policies, procedures and respectful conduct," Silver wrote.

The investigation made clear that others within the organization were allowing an environment in which workplace misconduct was rampant.

"Respect and integrity are core NBA values, and we all must work to ensure that they are reflected in the culture and workplaces of our organizations," Silver wrote.

Via ESPN

000078ude54
Pro Prospect
And1: 551

Post#2 » by 000078ude54 » Sat Sep 22, 2018 5:41 am

Ugh, more social engineering nonsense. Gender diversity ruins companies. Expertise and talent (merit) drives success, not which bathroom you use.
Cassius
RealGM
And1: 3,962

Post#3 » by Cassius » Sat Sep 22, 2018 9:36 am

The Chief wrote:Ugh, more social engineering nonsense. Gender diversity ruins companies. Expertise and talent (merit) drives success, not which bathroom you use.

Yes, because all of the consistently mediocre and terrible franchises that have only hired men, are focused entirely on bringing in the best expertise and talent.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app
I_Like_Dirt wrote:The whole comparison to Kevin McHale is ridiculously close, imo... And that's without more hilarious aspects of the comparison, e.g. if Wally Sczerbiak were 7 feet tall with the slower reflexes that came with the additional height, he'd be Bargnani.
JoePoison
Ballboy
And1: 1

Post#4 » by JoePoison » Sat Sep 22, 2018 12:36 pm

Should a woman be hired even if there is a man with better resume and past accomplishments?
inquisitive
RealGM
And1: 2,843

Re: Re: Adam Silver Encourages Teams To Hire More Women 

Post#5 » by inquisitive » Sat Sep 22, 2018 11:24 pm

it's good to be a woman these days apparently.
KARD "You n Me " Mnet Countdown
www.youtube.com/watch?v=77b3zg3OhgI
Harry Garris
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 13,475

Post#6 » by Harry Garris » Sun Sep 23, 2018 12:10 am

JoePoison wrote:Should a woman be hired even if there is a man with better resume and past accomplishments?

No but there's nothing wrong with encouraging them to spend more time recruiting and interviewing qualified women candidates if the teams aren't currently doing that
000078ude54
Pro Prospect

Post#7 » by 000078ude54 » Sun Sep 23, 2018 7:52 am

Cassius wrote:
The Chief wrote:Ugh, more social engineering nonsense. Gender diversity ruins companies. Expertise and talent (merit) drives success, not which bathroom you use.

Yes, because all of the consistently mediocre and terrible franchises that have only hired men, are focused entirely on bringing in the best expertise and talent.

No franchise has "only hired men," there is zero correlation between gender and how "mediocre and terrible franchises" are fostered, and no one asserted mediocre and terrible franchises were "focused entirely on bringing in the best expertise and talent."

Silver's belief that gender diversity = greater competence is cheap and lazy virtue signaling. If there were two spots being added to a front office of 5 males and 3 females, with two perfectly qualified male candidates and two subpar female candidates under consideration, he'd hire the females just to bring the staff to 5 males and 5 females. Gender is not talent. Talent is talent. Hire accordingly.
3baller9
Freshman
And1: 38

Post#8 » by 3baller9 » Sun Sep 23, 2018 9:17 am

inquisitive wrote:it's good to be a woman these days apparently.
The way we are going it won't be long before we'll have to fight for the rights of men.
ChokeFasncists
RealGM
And1: 1,501

Post#9 » by ChokeFasncists » Mon Sep 24, 2018 1:20 am

Female commissioner?
MorbidHEAT wrote:My dislike for Lin started during Linsanity. It was absurd. It's probably irrational dislike at this point, but man he gets on my nerves. He's been tearing us up though.
Thanks for the honesty.
alienpick
Starter
And1: 617

Post#10 » by alienpick » Mon Sep 24, 2018 3:43 am

Because, you know ...vaginas
hyberx
Starter
And1: 384

Post#11 » by hyberx » Mon Sep 24, 2018 4:25 am

How about encouraging teams to hire the best available candidate regardless of gender and skin color? Is that too racist and sexist a thing to do nowadays?

What about hiring more Alaska Native/Laotian/Albanian/etc players, because they are so underrepresented? What about a player quota for every gender association/identification? Enlighten us Almighty Silver.
Cassius
RealGM
And1: 3,962

Post#12 » by Cassius » Mon Sep 24, 2018 10:44 pm

The Chief wrote:
Cassius wrote:

No franchise has "only hired men," there is zero correlation between gender and how "mediocre and terrible franchises" are fostered, and no one asserted mediocre and terrible franchises were "focused entirely on bringing in the best expertise and talent."

Silver's belief that gender diversity = greater competence is cheap and lazy virtue signaling. If there were two spots being added to a front office of 5 males and 3 females, with two perfectly qualified male candidates and two subpar female candidates under consideration, he'd hire the females just to bring the staff to 5 males and 5 females. Gender is not talent. Talent is talent. Hire accordingly.

Harvard Business Review just came out with a report stating that the Fortune 500 firms that were most diverse actually outpaced the others. The argument is (at a minimum) that the more people you have with different perspectives, the more you reduce organizational blind spots (that, if left unchecked, can lead to a Mavericks situation). For example, I didn't care about changing tables in bathrooms until I became a dad and once had to change my son's diaper on an outdoor bench at a truck stop. I'm sure if ExxonMobil or whoever it was had a woman/mother on the facility design team that would be less likely to happen.

Same as the whole Redskins thing with the cheerleaders whose passports were taken while on a season-ticket holder trip to the Caribbean. I doubt a woman thought it was okay to have a bunch or random dudes watching a topless photo shoot. Or, it's less likely that a woman would have supported that. That's all it is.
I_Like_Dirt wrote:The whole comparison to Kevin McHale is ridiculously close, imo... And that's without more hilarious aspects of the comparison, e.g. if Wally Sczerbiak were 7 feet tall with the slower reflexes that came with the additional height, he'd be Bargnani.
000078ude54
Pro Prospect

Post#13 » by 000078ude54 » Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:46 pm

Cassius wrote:
The Chief wrote:
Cassius wrote:

Harvard Business Review just came out with a report stating that the Fortune 500 firms that were most diverse actually outpaced the others. The argument is (at a minimum) that the more people you have with different perspectives, the more you reduce organizational blind spots (that, if left unchecked, can lead to a Mavericks situation). For example, I didn't care about changing tables in bathrooms until I became a dad and once had to change my son's diaper on an outdoor bench at a truck stop. I'm sure if ExxonMobil or whoever it was had a woman/mother on the facility design team that would be less likely to happen.

Same as the whole Redskins thing with the cheerleaders whose passports were taken while on a season-ticket holder trip to the Caribbean. I doubt a woman thought it was okay to have a bunch or random dudes watching a topless photo shoot. Or, it's less likely that a woman would have supported that. That's all it is.

In the midst of today's male-shaming #metoo culture, it's probably best to take such reports with a grain of salt. And I'm sure there were extensive studies done on truck stop bathroom uses, with the idea of mothers and fathers taking children into frequently in-use bathrooms simply not making the cut. As a man, just imagining a vulnerable woman changing a diaper while strangers of every strain shuffle in and out with her back turned is enough for me to nix that option. It's neither safe nor sanitary, not to mention that not every convenience can be accounted for in public buildings/spaces.

I'm all for women being in management and leadership positions, but not if it's simply for her female perspective as Silver seems to embrace. One example to consider is AMP in Australia with gender quotas for their board - goal of 50% females in management roles regardless of qualification. They recently were mired in a corporate scandal when 3 gender diversity hire females were part of defrauding clients and were forced to resign and face criminal charges.

This sort of thing happens when candidates are placed in positions that are over their head. They flounder and harm the company. My old company did just that with two females just because they wanted females in management positions. These two teamed up to try to usurp duties of their male counterparts and essentially power grab to protect against being exposed as incompetent. They left together 6 months later.

It's examples like these that tell me we need to pump the brakes on the latest "I am woman, hear me roar" movement. What good is the female perspective if said female can't perform the actual role.

Return to Wiretap Discussion