Joakim Noah, Knicks Moving Towards Buyout

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

Joakim Noah, Knicks Moving Towards Buyout 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Sun Sep 23, 2018 4:45 pm

Joakim Noah and the New York Knicks are moving towards a buyout.

The two sides have long been expected to part ways this offseason.

Several teams are monitoring Noah's entrance in free agency.

Noah has $37.8 million remaining on his contract after signing a four-year, $72 million deal in 2016.

Via Shams Charania/The Athletic

shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,676

Re: Joakim Noah, Knicks Moving Towards Buyout 

Post#2 » by shrink » Sun Sep 23, 2018 7:03 pm

Better do it fast, while Thibs is still a GM, and can give you a new job!

Seriously though, he already said he wasn’t interested.
cupcakesnake wrote:I know a lot of people haven't seen him play, but no one is forcing you to make up an opinion and post it.
Pickled Prunes
General Manager
And1: 1,214

Post#3 » by Pickled Prunes » Sun Sep 23, 2018 8:05 pm

shrink wrote:Better do it fast, while Thibs is still a GM, and can give you a new job!

Most teams would take a look at him for the vet minimum. He'll have no trouble finding a job.
nedleeds
General Manager
And1: 7,676

Post#4 » by nedleeds » Sun Sep 23, 2018 8:53 pm

Move towards your boat you useless turd. Unless he gives a ton back there's no point, just cut him next league year. How much did Deng give back?
Zenzibar wrote:Nevertheless, Payton is not a finished product yet and unless the team moves him in a couple of weeks, I anticipate him trending upward with this coaching staff.
ChokeFasncists
RealGM
And1: 1,501

Post#5 » by ChokeFasncists » Sun Sep 23, 2018 9:33 pm

shrink wrote:Better do it fast, while Thibs is still a GM, and can give you a new job!

Deng......no zomBulls with the KAT vs Butler thing.......
MorbidHEAT wrote:My dislike for Lin started during Linsanity. It was absurd. It's probably irrational dislike at this point, but man he gets on my nerves. He's been tearing us up though.
Thanks for the honesty.
Mwd1981
Pro Prospect
And1: 124

Post#6 » by Mwd1981 » Mon Sep 24, 2018 1:22 am

nedleeds wrote:Move towards your boat you useless turd. Unless he gives a ton back there's no point, just cut him next league year. How much did Deng give back?

Pretty harsh mate. Nobody forced Knicks to give him that contract, he was injured, and when he wasn’t Knicks didn’t give him any opportunity to live up to the contract.

Do you say no when someone offers you $80 million?

Noah seems like a good dude who shares his wealth with his community.

He messed up with weed, but as an nba player it might be better to smoke weed than gobble down pain killers. Ask Alonzo Mourning.
xx1c1cle
Sophomore
And1: 54

Post#7 » by xx1c1cle » Mon Sep 24, 2018 12:53 pm

what a boat load a cash! and all that it cost him was his career.
He could have spent the last 2 years playing, possibly as a reverse on a contender. Maybe even could have made it to the finals.

he should have known what he was worth. he should have had a frank conversation with his agent: "this is a lot of money, the Knicks are willing to pay me, but I'm not worth it. I'm getting old, I feel it. This might make me richer than I ever dreamed, but it may ruin my career. I'm not a max player anymore."
puja21
Bench Warmer
And1: 187

Post#8 » by puja21 » Mon Sep 24, 2018 2:57 pm

Mwd1981 wrote:
nedleeds wrote:Move towards your boat you useless turd. Unless he gives a ton back there's no point, just cut him next league year. How much did Deng give back?

Pretty harsh mate. Nobody forced Knicks to give him that contract, he was injured, and when he wasn’t Knicks didn’t give him any opportunity to live up to the contract.

He messed up with weed, but as an nba player it might be better to smoke weed than gobble down pain killers. Ask Alonzo Mourning.

Agree with all that and it's a shared failure of course, bc any GM/team has a responsibility to independently verify/vet players and own the outcome of any signing they make.

That said, Noah did repeatedly go out of his way to assure Phil he was healthy and ready to go, so it's easy to see why some Knick fans are frustrated w/ Noah too.

“I ran into him on the streets of New York City. Just accidental — he’s out and he’s an active guy. So he wanted me to do a pull up on his arm to demonstrate that his shoulder’s in fine shape. I refused.”

Phil says their encounter helped convince him that health shouldn't stand in the way of signing the 31-year-old center.

Regardless, fans should be most upset w/ Phil for the money and years

Jackson said: "Derrick's still a young man at 27 [he turned 28 last week], Joakim just past 30. But both of them, I think, have some career left, even though they've had injuries. And it's what we call risk-reward. What was the risk and what was the reward? And I felt it was a minimal risk and a great reward if we were able to put together a good team."

To call $72M minimal risk is insanely off base. Rose was minimal risk and basically worked out. Noah was a tire fire.
nedleeds
General Manager
And1: 7,676

Post#9 » by nedleeds » Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:25 pm

Mwd1981 wrote:

I don't care about weed. I care that he hasn't developed any ability to shoot in 12 years of having basketball be his profession. He's gotten so bad he can't really even shoot free throws anymore. If harsh is paying somebody $17 million to enjoy life in anyway they see fit then whats being generous? There's zero benefit to the Knicks to cutting him now unless he gives cash back off the deal and if that reduces the Knicks cap on the stretch (I think it does, it did for Deng anyway). Otherwise he can "earn" $17 million to sit out the year because he's not physically ready, and not good enough to play. Then his expiring could have utility next Summer. If it doesn't then you cut him next September and don't have to carry his money on the cap after 19-20.

Zenzibar wrote:Nevertheless, Payton is not a finished product yet and unless the team moves him in a couple of weeks, I anticipate him trending upward with this coaching staff.
Mwd1981
Pro Prospect
And1: 124

Post#10 » by Mwd1981 » Tue Sep 25, 2018 2:31 am

nedleeds wrote:
Mwd1981 wrote:

I don't care about weed. I care that he hasn't developed any ability to shoot in 12 years of having basketball be his profession. He's gotten so bad he can't really even shoot free throws anymore. If harsh is paying somebody $17 million to enjoy life in anyway they see fit then whats being generous? There's zero benefit to the Knicks to cutting him now unless he gives cash back off the deal and if that reduces the Knicks cap on the stretch (I think it does, it did for Deng anyway). Otherwise he can "earn" $17 million to sit out the year because he's not physically ready, and not good enough to play. Then his expiring could have utility next Summer. If it doesn't then you cut him next September and don't have to carry his money on the cap after 19-20.

So nothing you said other than shooting is in Noah’s control, and pretty sure he was no shooter when he signed the deal!!!!

I understand Knicks fans want him off the books, but the Knicks gave themselves this problem
Dr Huge Pecs
Senior
And1: 79

Post#11 » by Dr Huge Pecs » Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:22 am

Yes the Knicks give themselves problems every year.....melo, staudemire, Noah and rose
... last year Timmy Jr.

and they could lose kp.... because see above.

They can't run a team.

Return to Wiretap Discussion