Rockets Trying To Conceive Of Creative Trade Ideas For Jimmy Butler

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

Rockets Trying To Conceive Of Creative Trade Ideas For Jimmy Butler 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:36 pm

The Houston Rockets have tried to be creative in trying to trade for Jimmy Butler.

Butler is a native of the Houston area.

The Miami Heat are considered the team that has engaged most seriously with the Minnesota Timberwolves on a trade for Butler.

The Wolves will likely need a third team to help facilitate a deal for Butler.

Via Adrian Wojnarowski/ESPN

iliyanvs
Freshman
And1: 21

Re: Rockets Trying To Conceive Of Creative Trade Ideas For Jimmy Butler 

Post#2 » by iliyanvs » Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:33 pm

I dont see anything else apart from Eric Gordon that they can give for Butler, maybe some future 1st, Gerald Green, Zhou Qui and Gordon as well as Brandon Knight for salary reasons, but i can see many better trade packages from other teams.
DarthDiggler69
General Manager
And1: 2,368

Post#3 » by DarthDiggler69 » Wed Sep 26, 2018 11:41 pm

If I were the Rockets Id trade Chris Paul for Butler. Dont need him when you have Harden plus Butler demands the ball alot too. Harden and Butler would be an upgraded
DarthDiggler69
General Manager
And1: 2,368

Post#4 » by DarthDiggler69 » Wed Sep 26, 2018 11:41 pm

iliyanvs wrote:I dont see anything else apart from Eric Gordon that they can give for Butler, maybe some future 1st, Gerald Green, Zhou Qui and Gordon as well as Brandon Knight for salary reasons, but i can see many better trade packages from other teams.

might as well pass if thats what they are offering
spicy6
Starter
And1: 1,841

Post#5 » by spicy6 » Thu Sep 27, 2018 12:07 am

HOU has nothing to offer. I really dont see the interest on MINNYS side.
KGdaBom
RealGM
And1: 4,825

Post#6 » by KGdaBom » Thu Sep 27, 2018 12:47 am

iliyanvs wrote:I dont see anything else apart from Eric Gordon that they can give for Butler, maybe some future 1st, Gerald Green, Zhou Qui and Gordon as well as Brandon Knight for salary reasons, but i can see many better trade packages from other teams.

Gordon is a good player. Probably one of the 100 best in the game. Butler is one of the 10 best in the game. The only way this deal could work is if the Rockets offer the Wolves their next five available first round picks. I know that needs to be every other year.
hyberx
Starter
And1: 384

Post#7 » by hyberx » Thu Sep 27, 2018 1:17 am

Melo + his 5 mansions, straight up.
Mwd1981
Pro Prospect
And1: 124

Post#8 » by Mwd1981 » Thu Sep 27, 2018 2:45 am

I don’t think wolves will get much. Makes me wonder if he’s just an abrasive guy, or planned it? I’ve never been to Minnesota, but it sounds like a cold miserable place to live to me.
cheese318
Sixth Man
And1: 227

Post#9 » by cheese318 » Thu Sep 27, 2018 2:48 am

Clint Capela would be an option but I don’t think they can trade him yet
Hoopzilla wrote:
Whether I was born or not when the Orlando Magic tried to form a Super Team means absolutely nothing to this conversation. One thing is pretty clear, you are the load your mother should have swallowed and moved on with her life... :nod:
ChokeFasncists
RealGM
And1: 1,501

Post#10 » by ChokeFasncists » Thu Sep 27, 2018 3:46 am

Can CP3 be traded?

He'll be real mad if it happens.
MorbidHEAT wrote:My dislike for Lin started during Linsanity. It was absurd. It's probably irrational dislike at this point, but man he gets on my nerves. He's been tearing us up though.
Thanks for the honesty.
inquisitive
RealGM
And1: 2,844

Post#11 » by inquisitive » Thu Sep 27, 2018 4:29 am

minny should just wait till Oct. 31st when Knight and chriss are available! :wink:
KARD "You n Me " Mnet Countdown
www.youtube.com/watch?v=77b3zg3OhgI
GuessWhoNot
Freshman
And1: 2

Post#12 » by GuessWhoNot » Thu Sep 27, 2018 2:47 pm

Two Team Trade (Minnesota & Houston)

Timberwolves receive: Eric Gordon, P.J. Tucker, 2019 second-round pick
Rockets receive: Jimmy Butler

OR

Three Team Trade (Minnesota, Phoenix & Houston)

Timberwolves receive: Tyson Chandler (from Phoenix), Eric Gordon (from Houston), 2019 second-round pick (from Houston)
Suns receive: Jeff Teague (from Minnesota), P.J. Tucker (from Houston), 2019 second-round pick (from Minnesota)
Rockets receive: Jimmy Butler (from Minnesota)

OR

Four Team Trade (Minnesota, Phoenix, Miami & Houston)

Timberwolves receive: Hassan Whiteside (from Miami), Eric Gordon (from Houston), 2019 second-round pick (from Houston)
Suns receive: Jeff Teague (from Minnesota), P.J. Tucker (from Houston), 2019 second-round pick (from Minnesota)
Heat receive: Gorgui Dieng (from Minnesota), Tyson Chandler (from Phoenix)
Rockets receive: Jimmy Butler (from Minnesota)

All of these potential trades, by the way, are financially sound.
ecuhus1981
RealGM
And1: 1,427

Post#13 » by ecuhus1981 » Thu Sep 27, 2018 3:41 pm

cheese318 wrote:Clint Capela would be an option but I don’t think they can trade him yet

He actualy can be traded now, and I think he's the only way MIN listens to a Rockets offer. I am not convinced that a Towns/Capela pairing is the most complementary, but I could see it working with the right defensive scheme.
Some people really have a way with words. Other people... not... have... way.
-- Steve Martin
NashtyNas
RealGM
And1: 1,887

Post#14 » by NashtyNas » Thu Sep 27, 2018 4:05 pm

Morey is ruthless.

I don't think there's a way to add Jimmy Butler to the Rockets without moving Paul, and I think it makes sense to move Paul for Butler in every way.

I am one of the biggest Chris Paul fans but the man has major injury concerns, is up there in age and has consistently missed playoff games throughout his career. Add on top of that the contract he just signed and I think it's a no brainer - especially when you already have Harden on the roster and just lost a TON of defense.

Harden/Butler/Tucker/Melo/Capela >>> Paul/Harden/Tucker/Melo/Capela simply because Jimmy is bigger and can do more on that end in terms of guarding the best players than Paul can. Paul is historically a great defender but his size leaves a LOT to be desired on that end whereas Jimmy can switch essentially 1 thru 4.

The underappreciated greats:

Some seek fame cause they need validation, some say hating is confused admiration - Nasty, nasty Nas
Pickled Prunes
General Manager
And1: 1,213

Post#15 » by Pickled Prunes » Thu Sep 27, 2018 11:21 pm

ecuhus1981 wrote:
cheese318 wrote:Clint Capela would be an option but I don’t think they can trade him yet

He actualy can be traded now, and I think he's the only way MIN listens to a Rockets offer. I am not convinced that a Towns/Capela pairing is the most complementary, but I could see it working with the right defensive scheme.

That would be an incredibly foolish trade for HOU.
Pickled Prunes
General Manager

Post#16 » by Pickled Prunes » Thu Sep 27, 2018 11:31 pm

NashtyNas wrote:Morey is ruthless.

I don't think there's a way to add Jimmy Butler to the Rockets without moving Paul, and I think it makes sense to move Paul for Butler in every way.

I am one of the biggest Chris Paul fans but the man has major injury concerns, is up there in age and has consistently missed playoff games throughout his career. Add on top of that the contract he just signed and I think it's a no brainer - especially when you already have Harden on the roster and just lost a TON of defense.

Harden/Butler/Tucker/Melo/Capela >>> Paul/Harden/Tucker/Melo/Capela simply because Jimmy is bigger and can do more on that end in terms of guarding the best players than Paul can. Paul is historically a great defender but his size leaves a LOT to be desired on that end whereas Jimmy can switch essentially 1 thru 4.

In the 5 years since Butler became a starter he has averaged 66.8 games per season. (334 games)
In that same span CP3 has averaged 67.4 games per season. (337 games)

Injury concerns are a problem for both of these players. It definitely doesn't favor Butler. Especially because several of CP3's missed games were due to rest.
cheese318
Sixth Man

Post#17 » by cheese318 » Fri Sep 28, 2018 4:26 am

ecuhus1981 wrote:

Maybe work a 3rd team in the mix that could help MIN get the player they want and someone else could add Capela
Hoopzilla wrote:
Whether I was born or not when the Orlando Magic tried to form a Super Team means absolutely nothing to this conversation. One thing is pretty clear, you are the load your mother should have swallowed and moved on with her life... :nod:
cheese318
Sixth Man

Post#18 » by cheese318 » Fri Sep 28, 2018 4:29 am

Pickled Prunes wrote:
ecuhus1981 wrote:

Agewise I agree. Plus Capela brings a lot of the defense they need at the rim. I was just thinking of any logical player MIN would even consider to make this report even newsworthy. I don’t know if Butler would be that bad for HOU. But the expense of Capela could be bad. If they added Dieng that would help a bit as well but not sure the money would matchup
Hoopzilla wrote:
Pickled Prunes
General Manager

Post#19 » by Pickled Prunes » Fri Sep 28, 2018 5:06 pm

cheese318 wrote:
Pickled Prunes wrote:
ecuhus1981 wrote:He actualy can be traded now, and I think he's the only way MIN listens to a Rockets offer. I am not convinced that a Towns/Capela pairing is the most complementary, but I could see it working with the right defensive scheme.

Agewise I agree. Plus Capela brings a lot of the defense they need at the rim. I was just thinking of any logical player MIN would even consider to make this report even newsworthy. I don’t know if Butler would be that bad for HOU. But the expense of Capela could be bad. If they added Dieng that would help a bit as well but not sure the money would matchup

Yeah, I see that. Butler is certainly a better player. But HOU needs Capela and MIN does not. Value is based more on situation than anything else.

Return to Wiretap Discussion