LeBron James Embraced Gradual Rebuild For Lakers With Multi-Year Commitment

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

LeBron James Embraced Gradual Rebuild For Lakers With Multi-Year Commitment 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Fri Sep 28, 2018 12:50 pm

One of the reasons LeBron James committed to the Los Angeles Lakers over the long-term was to embrace a process he knew the organization would have to undergo, according to sources.

James realized the Lakers would be unable to contend for a title in his first season and believed he had multiple seasons remaining in his prime.

James has been challenged by the media several times this week to set parameters for the season.

"I don't expect anything. The unknown is what to expect," James said. "You work for what you want."

Via Brian Windhorst/ESPN

bockingknickers
Sophomore
And1: 23

Re: LeBron James Embraced Gradual Rebuild For Lakers With Multi-Year Commitment 

Post#2 » by bockingknickers » Fri Sep 28, 2018 3:01 pm

Until he demands a tease and refuses to play.
A BETTER DJ
Sixth Man
And1: 302

Post#3 » by A BETTER DJ » Fri Sep 28, 2018 3:24 pm

bockingknickers wrote:Until he demands a tease and refuses to play.

Has he done that before?
Top notch Wedding DJ and photographer available nationwide. RealGM members Save $200 off our regular low prices!

GO MAGIC!
PaulGaston
Junior
And1: 155

Post#4 » by PaulGaston » Fri Sep 28, 2018 3:43 pm

I guess he doesn't realize he's 34 years old. The guy is superhuman, but age catches up to everyone. This reasonably could be the last year or two of his prime.
spikeslovechild
RealGM
And1: 5,990

Post#5 » by spikeslovechild » Fri Sep 28, 2018 4:01 pm

We all have seen this show before as soon as it didn't become about winning he's done. He's 34 if the drive isn't there to win championships then you are going to see his play dip immensely.

Book it.
the_process
RealGM
And1: 8,728

Post#6 » by the_process » Fri Sep 28, 2018 4:05 pm

He didn’t embrace a gradual rebuild... he embraced the LA lifestyle and the business opportunities it affords.

In other words, he gave up on beating GSW.
MegaK
Bench Warmer
And1: 133

Post#7 » by MegaK » Fri Sep 28, 2018 4:14 pm

He MVP this season and next season the brow will join him and good luck beating that team. Lebron for President !
JellosJigglin
RealGM
And1: 9,400

Post#8 » by JellosJigglin » Fri Sep 28, 2018 4:19 pm

MegaK wrote:He MVP this season and next season the brow will join him and good luck beating that team. Lebron for President !

I don't think they'll have the cap in 2020 to sign AD, due to Ingram's cap hold. A lot can happen before then though.
RIP BASKETBALL REASONS (DEC 8TH 2011 - OCT 11TH 2020)
SixStringAxis
Sophomore
And1: 40

Post#9 » by SixStringAxis » Fri Sep 28, 2018 4:20 pm

PaulGaston wrote:I guess he doesn't realize he's 34 years old. The guy is superhuman, but age catches up to everyone. This reasonably could be the last year or two of his prime.

But if anyone can keep it going longer than usual its him. Hes easily the most athletic player of his generation, has never been injured and by all accounts keeps his body in better shape than almost any player ever.

Not to mention he absolutely coasts through the regular season every year. I watched nearly every game he played in a cavs uniform, back to when he was a rookie. It was only his first 3-4 seasons that I ever felt he gave a strong effort in the regular season.
JellosJigglin
RealGM
And1: 9,400

Post#10 » by JellosJigglin » Fri Sep 28, 2018 4:21 pm

PaulGaston wrote:I guess he doesn't realize he's 34 years old. The guy is superhuman, but age catches up to everyone. This reasonably could be the last year or two of his prime.

His "prime" is top 10 player of all time. When he declines he'll still be a top 5-10 player in the NBA at the end of his contract.
RIP BASKETBALL REASONS (DEC 8TH 2011 - OCT 11TH 2020)
Chris3323
Pro Prospect
And1: 49

Post#11 » by Chris3323 » Fri Sep 28, 2018 4:27 pm

spikeslovechild wrote:We all have seen this show before as soon as it didn't become about winning he's done. He's 34 if the drive isn't there to win championships then you are going to see his play dip immensely.

Book it.

which season did his play dip?
bqmuzik
Junior
And1: 62

Post#12 » by bqmuzik » Fri Sep 28, 2018 4:35 pm

Too bad Cleveland didnt have that freedom in the last few years. He gave zero input on player decisions, got his friends grossly overpaid and had them scrambling to make terrible moves to replace young talent with aging stars in an attempt to appease him. Now they are totally cash strapped for it.
PaulGaston
Junior
And1: 155

Post#13 » by PaulGaston » Fri Sep 28, 2018 4:48 pm

JellosJigglin wrote:

His "prime" is top 10 player of all time. When he declines he'll still be a top 5-10 player in the NBA at the end of his contract.

Prime LeBron is probably #1 all-time. Maybe #2. But when these stars decline, it happens rapidly. He's also long overdue for an injury.
colaroaster
Sixth Man
And1: 796
Location: jp morgan, rockefellers, rothschild, vanderbilt, danny ainge

Post#14 » by colaroaster » Fri Sep 28, 2018 5:30 pm

why couldn't lebron attract high tier free agents to cleveland, why did he want to rebuild at the end of his career.. high school education isn't working out as planned?
likashing
Head Coach
And1: 1,959

Post#15 » by likashing » Fri Sep 28, 2018 5:32 pm

Already lining up excuses when he won't even get home court or even miss the playoffs in the West.

Those Hawks and Raptors he had to beat for the zillion straight Finals. Tough road! Anyone wants free tickets to the Finals?
Mark Jackson wrote:Playoff preparation is overrated... I’m going to get my rest. I’m not going to grow old and be stressed out and get gray hair.
nikster
RealGM
And1: 11,834

Post#16 » by nikster » Fri Sep 28, 2018 5:58 pm

likashing wrote:Already lining up excuses when he won't even get home court or even miss the playoffs in the West.

Those Hawks and Raptors he had to beat for the zillion straight Finals. Tough road! Anyone wants free tickets to the Finals?

He joins a young 35 win team and says hes not setting any expectations yet. That is not making excuses, it's being realistic. And we'll see how this Lakers team does, I doubt they miss playoffs. I'm sure haters will have "excuses" lined up if Lebron exceeds their expectations.

Also, Lebron required ridiculous performances to get to the Finals last year. 34/9/9 on 62 TS% while leading his team in steals and blocks in the playoffs. Despite this he had two series go to 7 games. Not as tough as the west, but certainly not a cake walk. I'm not confident any other player in the league would have made it through the East with that team, maybe Kawhii, Harden or Durant.
cheese318
Sixth Man
And1: 227

Post#17 » by cheese318 » Fri Sep 28, 2018 6:03 pm

bqmuzik wrote:Too bad Cleveland didnt have that freedom in the last few years. He gave zero input on player decisions, got his friends grossly overpaid and had them scrambling to make terrible moves to replace young talent with aging stars in an attempt to appease him. Now they are totally cash strapped for it.

They won title. New York Rangers did the exact same thing to win in 1994 and end the streak of 54 years without a Stanley Cup. Not sure how it’s always LeBron James fault and not any blame goes on ownership. I’m almost definite he did not want to trade Kyrie Irving. I believe he did not want Isiah Thomas either. So after that awful first trade. Koby Altman had to do whatever it takes to get players on the court. Is that his fault after he told them not trade Kyrie in the first place? Lastly if they didn’t want to sign JR Smith or Tristan Thompson to those extensions have a backbone and do not sign them. Blaming LeBron James for asking to sign certain players is not his fault. Just say we couldn’t come to terms on a contract.
Hoopzilla wrote:
Whether I was born or not when the Orlando Magic tried to form a Super Team means absolutely nothing to this conversation. One thing is pretty clear, you are the load your mother should have swallowed and moved on with her life... :nod:
Cavsfansince84
RealGM
And1: 10,295

Post#18 » by Cavsfansince84 » Fri Sep 28, 2018 6:31 pm

nikster wrote:
likashing wrote:Already lining up excuses when he won't even get home court or even miss the playoffs in the West.

He joins a young 35 win team and says hes not setting any expectations yet. That is not making excuses, it's being realistic. And we'll see how this Lakers team does, I doubt they miss playoffs. I'm sure haters will have "excuses" lined up if Lebron exceeds their expectations.

Also, Lebron required ridiculous performances to get to the Finals last year. 34/9/9 on 62 TS% while leading his team in steals and blocks in the playoffs. Despite this he had two series go to 7 games. Not as tough as the west, but certainly not a cake walk. I'm not confident any other player in the league would have made it through the East with that team, maybe Kawhii, Harden or Durant.

lol at the mention of Harden leading that team to the finals. Not just lol but lololololololol.
The Laker Kid
General Manager
And1: 6,500

Post#19 » by The Laker Kid » Fri Sep 28, 2018 6:32 pm

Why do I care if Lebron retires and doesn't win a chip with the Lakers? He is just a temp employee to sell tickets in the interim while Ingram/Ball/Kuz develop. When he gets old, he'll retire and the Lakers will still have their future players. Lebron signed with the Lakers knowing full well what he signed up for.
MaxwellSmart wrote:I hate to say this, but Go Lakers....
GuessWhoNot
Freshman
And1: 2

Post#20 » by GuessWhoNot » Fri Sep 28, 2018 6:45 pm

Exactly! I knew this had to be part of the reason when I saw it happen. LeBron didn't go to L.A. to win another championship, people! He went to L.A. for the publicity; to sell tickets in the Staples Center and for film, T.V., etc. Just like the Lakers drafting Lonzo, LeBron joining them was a BUSINESS decision, not a basketball decision.

Return to Wiretap Discussion