Tom Thibodeau Didn't Have Locker Room Issues Leak To Media In Past

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 292

Tom Thibodeau Didn't Have Locker Room Issues Leak To Media In Past 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Sun Sep 30, 2018 5:00 pm

Unlike previous situations in his coaching career, Tom Thibodeau was unable to keep the issues going on inside the locker room of the Minnesota Timberwolves from leaking out to the media.

Karl-Anthony Towns and Andrew Wiggins didn't play with the same type of consistent effort Jimmy Butler respects, which created a divide within the Wolves.

Thibodeau had hoped he could keep the team in place through the offseason and fix the issues at the start of camp.

One of Thibodeau's favorite mantras is that "the magic is in the work."

But Butler was fed up with the situation to a point where he requested a trade as he enters his walk year.

Via Nick Friedell/ESPN

KGdaBom
RealGM
And1: 4,800

Re: Tom Thibodeau Didn't Have Locker Room Issues Leak To Media In Past 

Post#2 » by KGdaBom » Sun Sep 30, 2018 7:11 pm

I still believe the only reason Butler requested a trade is because he knows the Wolves won't pay him the Supermax next year because of KAT's demand that the Wolves get rid of him.
ChokeFasncists
RealGM
And1: 1,501

Post#3 » by ChokeFasncists » Sun Sep 30, 2018 7:27 pm

KGdaBom wrote:I still believe the only reason Butler requested a trade is because he knows the Wolves won't pay him the Supermax next year because of KAT's demand that the Wolves get rid of him.

Well, now KAT has signed, what can he do?

Maybe Thibs asks for a tons in trade, if he gets a great deal, do it, if not, keep Butler, if they win, sign him to the max.

They risk losing him for nothing in FA, but the upside is still pretty good. If it's just Butler harping on those two kids, maybe he'll get to them this season provided the situation is not too negative. It's good for Thibs the coach either way. He can't be too harsh on them but at the same time needs to get them in line.
MorbidHEAT wrote:My dislike for Lin started during Linsanity. It was absurd. It's probably irrational dislike at this point, but man he gets on my nerves. He's been tearing us up though.
Thanks for the honesty.
GQ Hot Dog
General Manager
And1: 5,016

Post#4 » by GQ Hot Dog » Sun Sep 30, 2018 7:30 pm

KGdaBom wrote:I still believe the only reason Butler requested a trade is because he knows the Wolves won't pay him the Supermax next year because of KAT's demand that the Wolves get rid of him.

If there is indeed an unbridgeable personal rift between Butler and KAT then I'm sure your right. Butler knows that he's not going to win out if one of them has to go. It may have been a good move to ask out now, despite Thibs thinking he could get them to work things out, maybe Butler knows better.
The hottest of takes...
Jester_ wrote:Hot take: Moses Moody shows the potential to be a star/#2 option ala Lauri Markkanen. Both the eye test and the advanced stats show a player with extremely high slope.
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#5 » by KGdaBom » Sun Sep 30, 2018 7:37 pm

ChokeFasncists wrote:

Maybe Thibs asks for a tons in trade, if he gets a great deal, do it, if not, keep Butler, if they win, sign him to the max.

They risk losing him for nothing in FA, but the upside is still pretty good. If it's just Butler harping on those two kids, maybe he'll get to them this season provided the situation is not too negative. It's good for Thibs the coach either way. He can't be too harsh on them but at the same time needs to get them in line.

If Taylor made a promise to KAT that Butler will be gone it would be an unconscionable breach of ethics for him to not keep that promise.
ChokeFasncists
RealGM

Post#6 » by ChokeFasncists » Sun Sep 30, 2018 7:47 pm

KGdaBom wrote:
ChokeFasncists wrote:

If Taylor made a promise to KAT that Butler will be gone it would be an unconscionable breach of ethics for him to not keep that promise.

It's not necessarily black and white I suppose. Maybe the animosity isn't that bad? Maybe Taylor said he'll "try" to trade him? Winning might be able to cure the problems? Thibs is the GM afterall. Maybe he threatens to quit if the owner forces him to trade his favorite soldier?
MorbidHEAT wrote:My dislike for Lin started during Linsanity. It was absurd. It's probably irrational dislike at this point, but man he gets on my nerves. He's been tearing us up though.
Thanks for the honesty.
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#7 » by KGdaBom » Sun Sep 30, 2018 7:55 pm

ChokeFasncists wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:
ChokeFasncists wrote:Well, now KAT has signed, what can he do?

It's not necessarily black and white I suppose. Maybe the animosity isn't that bad? Maybe Taylor said he'll "try" to trade him? Winning might be able to cure the problems? Thibs is the GM afterall. Maybe he threatens to quit if the owner forces him to trade his favorite soldier?

With all the negativity in Minnesota right now I'm certain that Taylor would happily accept the resignation. That saves Taylor 24 million in salary.
ChokeFasncists
RealGM

Post#8 » by ChokeFasncists » Sun Sep 30, 2018 8:23 pm

KGdaBom wrote:
ChokeFasncists wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:If Taylor made a promise to KAT that Butler will be gone it would be an unconscionable breach of ethics for him to not keep that promise.

With all the negativity in Minnesota right now I'm certain that Taylor would happily accept the resignation. That saves Taylor 24 million in salary.

It's not that negative if Thibs' able to get a lot with trading Butler or they patch things over and win.

They made the playoffs the first time in many years anyways.

KAT has to be signed, I don't think Wiggins' contract has to do with Thibs? I'd say it's more negative if the team is stuck with these two and not play winning ball.

Hiring another GM/coach can be risky as heck anyways.
Thanks for the honesty.

Return to Wiretap Discussion